Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well it is a VW...

What the heck is that rattling sound though?

As far as I can tell, there is no rattling. Why I think the exhaust sounds rattly is due to the fact that the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head (so no exhaust modification will sound "good"), combined with the fact that the exhaust itself hasn't been broken in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Who wants to be the one to tell him?

Yeah there are certainly more efficient options but this was cheaper than the similar condition Honda/Toyota/etc econoboxes in the area. Plus now I can use 87 instead of 93 for those 500+ miles I drive each week.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fallows posted:

Heres my car, slowly coming along!

Totally sikkk mad tyte bruh

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"HEMI" isn't in quotes like it should be, 2/10.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

Totally sikkk mad tyte bruh
Two pages of posts in the post your ride thread: 0 pictures of your ride.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wash+wax reflections.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

Two pages of posts in the post your ride thread: 0 pictures of your ride.

Opsec

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Here is my metallic paint after a wash:

Just kidding I have solid paint and that was when my sister was sandblasting our porch.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dumped a glass of water on my hood.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Thanks for adding so much to this thread.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

Thanks for adding so much to this thread.

Edit: No that was rude.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 24, 2015

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finally got a chance to properly clean the 535i I bought a few weeks ago. Loving it so far.

Wish I had noticed how blown out the pictures were when I took them.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Had my Jeep and my wife's new Macan out today because of a garage full of stuff. They're pretty much polar opposites in terms of sportiness with the Jeep being a loud, showy sledgehammer of power and the Macan is a razor of handling and high revs through the PDK.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jymmybob posted:

Had my Jeep and my wife's new Macan out today because of a garage full of stuff. They're pretty much polar opposites in terms of sportiness with the Jeep being a loud, showy sledgehammer of power and the Macan is a razor of handling and high revs through the PDK.

Another Ohio AIer.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I know it's not exactly an AI favorite, but here's my new to me car. I used to have a 2010 Taurus until it was totaled, I missed the hell out of it. Glad to pick up another one. I've been wanting one in dark side metallic since I first saw it. Yes, I know. I am an old man at heart. I just love these cars. :sigh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Do people not speed when they see you or does it not have the same crown vic effect?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Cage posted:

Do people not speed when they see you or does it not have the same crown vic effect?

It's 50/50 tbh. I usually hang out in the left lane and it's generally people with out of states plates that move.

Edit: I was pulled over in the breakdown lane one time so I could look up some info for work though and caused some serious traffic slowdown.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 27, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I know it's not exactly an AI favorite, but here's my new to me car. I used to have a 2010 Taurus until it was totaled, I missed the hell out of it. Glad to pick up another one. I've been wanting one in dark side metallic since I first saw it. Yes, I know. I am an old man at heart. I just love these cars. :sigh:

More pics and info please. How have the prices been on these? Are they reliable or are there known issues?

I had a 2003? Maybe? It was gutless with the 3.0 V6, but it was solid, in general... and I got it nearly new for next to nothing. I'd strongly look at a newer one if it was similar.

Plus, I did this to mine:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cage posted:

The general public actually buys a fair amount of the same cars that cops use these days. The Crown Vic was basically dead even before it was fleet-only so they were (still are) much more likely to be cop cars than anything else, including the Taurus and Charger.

The exception to that is the new Caprice since it's only for cops but they don't seem to be nearly as common as the others, so I guess they haven't really generated a Crown VIc effect yet.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

meatpimp posted:

More pics and info please. How have the prices been on these? Are they reliable or are there known issues?

Fairly reliable since the redesign in 2010. Its probably not going to be up there with Toyota/Honda, but it'll be better than Chrysler.

It's based off the Volvo P2 platform which underpinned the S80. Engine is the 3.5 which is known for being solid. The nice thing is you can get them for dirt cheap (comparatively speaking) these days. The one above is a 2014 Limited with 15k miles I bought for $20k. For what you pay you get a lot of car for the money. I have the upgraded stereo, heated and cooled leather, heated steering wheel, memory seats/mirrors/pedals/wheel, auto dimming mirrors all around, and some other crap I don't care about like auto high beams and wipers.

I love them because the ride is super comfortable and eerily quiet, the 288hp v6 is good for acceleration (0-60 in 6.6 to 6.8), build quality is great - everything feels super solid and buttoned down, and I have a kid so the massive trunk is fantastic. It's bigger than pretty much anything else on the market. You could easily fit luggage and golf clubs for 2 with room to spare - it's that huge.

The cons most people have is the interior space for being such a big car doesn't feel big (which is true because of the center console and wide doors), the handling isn't super sharp - which is tough to do with a 4000 pound car, blind spots everywhere, and gas mileage isn't super high. I average around 22-23mpg in mine.

Still, I love the current gen Taurus. It's the one car out there I really feel at home in for whatever reason.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

meatpimp posted:

I had a 2003? Maybe? It was gutless with the 3.0 V6, but it was solid, in general... and I got it nearly new for next to nothing. I'd strongly look at a newer one if it was similar.

Plus, I did this to mine:

The AXOD can burn in the infinite fires of hell.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I had a 2014 Taurus for a rental for 3 weeks last year. It was surprisingly nice/refined, but yes, it's the yugest sedan I've ever been in and when I looked over at SUV drivers and realized they were sitting at the same height as I was, it struck me that it's not really a sedan, it's more of a 4-door SUV that looks like a sedan. Luckily it had a backup camera because there was zero chance of seeing anything out the back window that wasn't 5 feet above the ground. Wasn't gutless, wasn't fast. Bodyroll Ahoy. I found it to be a lot nicer than I anticipated, but it was enormous and barely fit in most city parking spots. As you can see it's actually wider than that Jeep a couple spots over, and just a bit shorter.

To add some actual thread-title-related content, here's a picture of my roof after not washing my car for like 3 weeks, because California.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Friar Zucchini posted:

The exception to that is the new Caprice since it's only for cops but they don't seem to be nearly as common as the others, so I guess they haven't really generated a Crown VIc effect yet.

I'm still angry at those bastards for this. I realize they don't want to cut into their SS sales but some of us want a more affordable version of the same car.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
A lowered SUV with a trunk instead of a hatch seems about accurate. It's definitely one of the bigger cars on the road, which is why I think I love it. I grew up with land yachts, and while this car is far better driving/handling, it definitely harkens back to land yachts of old. It's the same length as a Chervolet Tahoe, believe it or not. It's just about the same as an S Class in terms of size.

It's crazy how they designed such a massive car with space like it has inside, that's the Volvo S80 DNA for you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The British are coming!

RRC isn't home yet, but garage space is the loving poo poo.

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

Jymmybob posted:

Two Toilets

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I'm still angry at those bastards for this. I realize they don't want to cut into their SS sales but some of us want a more affordable version of the same car.
Some of us isn't enough I guess. At this point it's anyone's guess how they're gonna go after the cop and V8 flying sofa markets with Holden on its way out. The Impala they have now is reputedly top-notch, but it's still a squidgy FWD with a sub-200hp four banger so we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Added some style to the war rig.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Finally picked my new ride up. 2016 Ecoboost Premium with the 6spd manual and the Performance Package. Love it so far!

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Congrats, still surprised at how good these 6th gen cars look on the road.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'm still surprised that there's a turbo 4-banger version of a Mustang that still makes 310 HP. But yeah, that redesign loving rules.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't seen one on the road.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

I still haven't seen one on the road.

Do you drive?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

Do you drive?

I average ~50 miles a day, most of it in lines of BMWs and Audis

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Great color on that mustang! I can't get over how insanely good this current generation looks--especially the b pillar not being so drat big and ugly.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Took one of mine out to get some sun.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

I'm still surprised that there's a turbo 4-banger version of a Mustang that still makes 310 HP. But yeah, that redesign loving rules.

Why the surprise? Turbo 4's have been pretty easily making 300hp for over 20 years.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

Took one of mine out to get some sun.

Are you a professor? Were you trying to pick up students?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I was channeling kastein pretty hard yesterday and bought this:

It popped up on CL and I just happened upon the ad like 15 minutes after the dude posted it, and immediately called him to set up a time to come look at it. 1990 2 door 5 speed 4WD, 115k on the clock, and the dude threw in a pretty bitchin head unit and sub, all properly wired. Super clean interior and only one small spot is rusty. It drives like a dream, and can confirm it can do 85 at like 4500 RPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MikeyTsi posted:

Why the surprise? Turbo 4's have been pretty easily making 300hp for over 20 years.

I didn't really phrase that sentence correctly. The surprise is more about the "4-cyl in a Mustang" part, not the power. And yes, I know there was a 4-cyl in 1993.