Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nihilarian posted:

I vaguelly remember that series having a gimmick where if you won a match, you got one of your opponents powers, and the main character kept getting the ones that were basically useless in battle

Those were talents, winning would net you one random new talent while injuring a noncombatant would make you lose a talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Right, they dropped the idea of those talents being relevant at all fairly early.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serious Frolicking posted:

Right, they dropped the idea of those talents being relevant at all fairly early.

Until the very end where he bullshitted losing all of his talents because his big ball got blasted into a bunch of splinters so every splinter counted as an "injury" what the gently caress

KoB
May 1, 2009
I enjoyed the Ueki anime and started following the author, definitely struck me as a one hit wonder and never really finished any of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Viz is selling the complete series of Psyren for $48. That is a crazy good price for sixteen manga volumes from Viz.

Is it worth it? I don't know anything about the series except mild hearsay on boards like this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it start pretty decent, gets bad then gets abruptly canned, as i recall

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
it was okay I guess? I've pointed my eyeballs at worse.

you could find the series on a mangareader and see if you feel its worth owning on paper from there I guess

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The mc's power was neat and rather unique. Other than that, it was merely okay.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it would have worked a lot better as a seinen series and probably also not got cancelled imo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I bought it .As I said, it's a really good price and if nothing else, it will give me something to do until the Fullmetal Alchemist '03 blu-rays are released and shipped to me. Of course I hope to enjoy the series as well. If the protagonist isn't some Goku Clone like Naruto or Luffy or whatever, that's a good start.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I bought it .As I said, it's a really good price and if nothing else, it will give me something to do until the Fullmetal Alchemist '03 blu-rays are released and shipped to me. Of course I hope to enjoy the series as well. If the protagonist isn't some Goku Clone like Naruto or Luffy or whatever, that's a good start.

MC is more of a Yusuke/Kuwabara clone

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The world could use more clones of Yusuke so I am happy about this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember really enjoying Psyren's premise and being disappointed when it became obvious that the series was going to be cancelled.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I really liked Psyren, the psychic powers were really interesting, almost Stand-like in how they have a basic concept and then grow from that. But, yeah, the storyline flags a little later on, and then it takes a sudden turn where it's obvious some editor said "you have 20 chapters left to wrap things up and that's it".

I kinda wish it'd gotten a better shake, or at least that there'd be another psychic-power-based shonen series popping up afterwards. Tokyo ESP was great but it's so infrequent and I'm not really enjoying the new plotlines as much as the old ones.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked Psyren, although I agree that the ending was a bit rushed. It's been a while, though; I'm not sure how well it would hold up on a reread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since i just thought about it today, has the gamaran author done anything since? it was pretty generic but had maybe the best pacing of any shounen i've read

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jose posted:

since i just thought about it today, has the gamaran author done anything since? it was pretty generic but had maybe the best pacing of any shounen i've read

Looks like Gamaran is the only work hes done.

The ending started to really draw out fights for too long but for most of it I loved how quick and brutal most of the fights were.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

I kinda wish it'd gotten a better shake, or at least that there'd be another psychic-power-based shonen series popping up afterwards. Tokyo ESP was great but it's so infrequent and I'm not really enjoying the new plotlines as much as the old ones.

I read Tokyo ESP as well, but I feel the artist really, really needs to start drawing/designing all the characters with something approaching the attention to detail that the main girls get. Like, I'm reading it and the main cast is present and it's cool, but then some misshapen horrifying monster walks by and oh god why isn't anyone freaking out about it, oh wait that's just a normal person the artist decided to half-rear end permanently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Today is the most enjoyable day

Yotsuba/Yanda slapfights are my favorite thing

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I think Azuma jumped the shark with this one and turned it into a battle manga in the end. ... Although I can't help but wonder what Yotsuba's bankai will be?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh boy, is it a Yanda chapter? These are the only ones worth reading. :allears:

/edit: Yanda section was short, but good.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 27, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was the most Yotsuba& chapter a Yotsuba& chapter could be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I love Yanda

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Is Gamble Fish Shounen or Seinen? Whatever- it's getting translated again and seems to be nearing it's end. It's still absolutely bonkers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Is Gamble Fish Shounen or Seinen? Whatever- it's getting translated again and seems to be nearing it's end. It's still absolutely bonkers.

I'd call it seinen, but I'd also call it bad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

I'd call it seinen, but I'd also call it bad.
Obama plays Russian roulette with a dude who looks like the devil, it kinda owns in a way.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Obama plays Russian roulette with a dude who looks like the devil, it kinda owns in a way.

To be fair, that part is good. It's the rest of it that's bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gamble Fish is alright but I prefer that other gambling series with that super powerful gambling moderation association, forget what it's called.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wish that gamble fish wasn't so relentlessly creepy about women. How many times does it really need to use girls as bets? It really is a pity, because I love all of the other weirdness. Instead of moving on to other enemies, it kept elevating the nosferatu dorm manager to a higher status as the story went on which just plain owns.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ytlaya posted:

Gamble Fish is alright but I prefer that other gambling series with that super powerful gambling moderation association, forget what it's called.

Usogui?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey, it's the Yowamushi Pedal guy's take on the classic "Girl is summoned magically into an average dude's life, hijinks ensue" genre. Let's see how this goes. Majimoji Rurumo.

EDIT: Hahah, wow, fanservice sure is awkward when drawn in this guy's style. :geno:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 4, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not going to necro the Magi thread because I don't really think it deserves it, but Magi's latest chapter just revealed Arba somehow body surfed into Hakuryuu's sister, Kouen isn't really dead, there will be a 2 year time skip, and that the last arc will apparently start at the end of October. So yeah, that will be a thing.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I remember kinda liking Magi until that part in the anime where the reverse Hitler Wizards summoned the giant bowling ball of death and every character in the series showed up to pointlessly DBZ into it for what felt like 30 hours.

I hear it got better after that, but I didn't have any interest or goodwill left.

Also RIP every Shonen Sunday series ending in the last/next 2 years.

Seriously though, I know the magazine is in free fall, but it honestly feels like every recognizable Shonen Sunday title either ended/cancelled recently or is about to start on their final arc and I don't think they've had a new hit in years, I just can't imagine what they'll be left with in 3 years.

Rinne just got the greenlight for a second season though, so yay?

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 5, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was definitely the low point of the series and while it did get better I don't think it ever really fully recovered. I think overall it got too preoccupied with the various wars when it should've gone back to the more adventurous tone in the earlier arcs. The final arc will almost certainly be a final war of the main characters vs. Sinbad/Arba to boot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

madmac posted:

I remember kinda liking Magi until that part in the anime where the reverse Hitler Wizards summoned the giant bowling ball of death and every character in the series showed up to pointlessly DBZ into it for what felt like 30 hours.

I hear it got better after that, but I didn't have any interest or goodwill left.

Also RIP every Shonen Sunday series ending in the last/next 2 years.

Seriously though, I know the magazine is in free fall, but it honestly feels like every recognizable Shonen Sunday title either ended/cancelled recently or is about to start on their final arc and I don't think they've had a new hit in years, I just can't imagine what they'll be left with in 3 years.

Rinne just got the greenlight for a second season though, so yay?

To be fair, there are new series, but they're either not big hits or scanlators haven't been touching them so we don't really notice. I think the Kenichi author's new series is actually doing well, though his new series being a mashup of 3 of his one-shots threw scanlators off since nobody could have predicted he was gonna do that.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
A new chapter of Rin is out, with a special appearance from the cast of Beck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really, really like Rin. It's such a fun series, even if it falls back on some cliches(such as in that chapter, even if the author made the best of it) occasionally. I like the characters, I like the art, and the story's fun too. Some twists are contrived at times but mostly it's pretty good about explaining things rationally. I like both Honda and Rin as characters from two different worlds, and it's interesting to see the forced choices here. That Fushimi has earned his way up through perseverance, hard work, creativity, and imagination rather than riding along on innate talent makes it much more interesting to read the manga-making sections too, and everything to do with his family, especially his sister's illness, hits way too close to home and brought me to tears a few times. It's rare that a manga or comic will display a person's slow physical breakdown from a debilitating disease that is truly palpable instead of just Coughing Up Blood Disease, and his sister is an awesome character despite not getting that much page time compared to everyone else.

It manages to be fun, and sad, and dramatic, and hilarious, all while looking good and flowing smoothly. The supernatural aspect, while a bit of a deus ex machina to move the plot along at times, never really felt too forced outside of the island story. Rin's a definite pro-click story. That it's a shonen about someone not bound to a school of some sort is pretty interesting as well.

Are we up to date on scanlations for it, or are we way behind, does anyone know?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Scanlations are behind by about 35 chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahahaha jesus that's a lot, way more than I expected. Is Rin monthly or weekly, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It runs in a monthly magazine.