Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

gmq posted:

The marvel movies are probably the best thing about the whole american comic industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoy Asterix, Bone, Hellboy, Sandman, and the Maxx. I like Superman when the right people write him, but usually it's the wrong people.

I'm not too familiar with Moebius but I like what I've read of him. Someone shared the Airtight Garage with me after he died and I thought it was great.

Corto Maltese is on my To Read list.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
hahaha the newest Mill is really funny. Grandpa catguy is the best.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

brits are good too, i got a compendium of 2000AD stuff and while Dredd is cool i liked Nikolai Dante and the lesser known miniseries better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I used to have a bunch of volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man. Looking back on it, it was pretty bad.

I need to read the Hellboy comics cause the movies own.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Haven't read any Judge Dredd, but that's also on the list.

I tried to get into Saga but eh...something about it just didn't jive with me. Might've been the dialogue.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DC ran a side comic of their mystery comics series that was marketed to women and mostly had female main characters and was full of romance, it didnt last super long though

It was called the Sinister House of Secret Love but they changed the name to Secrets of Sinister House

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

i read the poo poo out of those when i was a kid and reread them now and its really cool to see the european humor that slipped the first view

asterix is cool because it's the only comic i can think of with translation only puns

like iirc, in italian asterix, julius caesar always has words that start with S P Q and R in his dialogue in that order somewhere in the sentence

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i used to be a huge reader of marvel stuff until they did an event where shield got switched to hammer, the green goblin was now the secretary of defense and he made a team that was unironically dubbed the "Dark Avengers"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

brits are good too, i got a compendium of 2000AD stuff and while Dredd is cool i liked Nikolai Dante and the lesser known miniseries better

dredd has ultra cool stories like Cursed Earth but the shorter miniseries are the real draw for 2000ad, dredd eventually blends into a boring morass to me.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i used to be a huge reader of marvel stuff until they did an event where shield got switched to hammer, the green goblin was now the secretary of defense and he made a team that was unironically dubbed the "Dark Avengers"

growing up, i was always told that comics were for kids, so as an 8 year old, i bought a copy of the avengers from a bookstore

that was Avengers: Disassembled issue 1

i didn't have a good time

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really don't like the idea of a 40+ year canon behind every character, it's impossible to avoid stupid, convoluted stories doing it like that. The standalone stories are cool though, like Red Son or whatever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

asterix is cool because it's the only comic i can think of with translation only puns

like iirc, in italian asterix, julius caesar always has words that start with S P Q and R in his dialogue in that order somewhere in the sentence

also most of the gaul names changing

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I read a lot of Usagi Yojimbo as a kid, I haven't read it as an adult but it was insanely cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the way to save american comics: kill every current running series, bring back anthology books and start grabbing new blood and new ideas like mad

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate that cape comics are sort of attempting to be socially progressive but drat they're ham-fisted about it. Though that's not really surprising given they're ham-fisted about everything.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

marshal law pwns

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Usagi Yojimbo taught me all about Orochi and how he got his poo poo wrecked long before any anime did.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Scorched Earth Tactics.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I read a lot of Usagi Yojimbo as a kid, I haven't read it as an adult but it was insanely cool.

Stan Sakai is a huge fan of Jidaigeki and it shows

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Radio Spiricom posted:

marshal law pwns

The best joke in Marshal Law is when superhero comics took what it did as absurdist black comedy and then presented it as sincere drama

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I really enjoyed the backlog I went through as a teen, when I read transmet, sandman, a poo poo ton of Moore, bone, flex mentallo, some self contained stuff like dark knight returns, etc

And then I never really got a recommendation that I enjoyed again and when I went from stuff like that to dipping into the more serialized stuff I was super disappointed

all star superman is pretty good I guess

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Usagi Yojimbo taught me all about Orochi and how he got his poo poo wrecked long before any anime did.

i learned by watching my cousin play king of fighters '97 and loving up Orochi with the Ikari Team

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The best western Comic is Empowered.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Senerio posted:

what is this garbage

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

all the best american comics are by non-americans

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i am displeased.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Senerio posted:

i dunno...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cape comics are battle shounen manga if they were targeted at 30 year olds and ran for eternity instead of just 5-10 years too long

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Nevermind

Senerio fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 28, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Senerio posted:

That character is seriously the worst part of Empowered

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oh yeah preacher was really good too but i'm afraid the amc series will suck rear end

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The plot of Empowered is "Adam Warren got a ton of requests for Bondage Superheroines, and got tired of it, so he just drew a comic about it."

boom boom boom posted:

That character is seriously the worst part of Empowered

I like him in moderation.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

that's some diggity dope chaphop my compatriot, for shizzity

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress off Senerio

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the $12 word character

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gently caress off Senerio

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It made me laugh. I'm done talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you really aren't making a good case for this comic

• Locked thread