Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
MRA is the new gamergate and should be quarantined to GBS for discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Freakazoid_ posted:

MRA is the new gamergate and should be quarantined to GBS for discussion.

Gamergate is the Voter ID of MRA. But agreed.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

Get a guillotine.

Counterpoint: scaphism.

I swear, they should make a new Saw movie with a guy based on Shkreli as the target. They already tackled the health insurance industry.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 28, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ShadowCatboy posted:

I swear, they should make a new Saw movie with a guy based on Shkreli as the target. They already tackled the health insurance industry.

:stare:

Holy gently caress I don't wish that upon anyone. Not even someone manipulating medical research companies like he does.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm sorry you get offended when I call people who endorse rape because they never got laid by age 20 scumbags. But they are scumbags, not poor defenseless little dears that need to be coddled while they openly threaten rape and murder.

So is it fair to say that in your opinion the correct way to deal with the whole MRA thing is to scorn and ridicule them until they go away?

While that seems like a good and cathartic option, isn't it also true that their previous (perceived) subjection to scorn and ridicule is kinda what feeds their whole movement? And so is maybe counterproductive?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So how about those september politics huh

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tonight Trump was on 60 minutes and the interviewer was rather aggressive with him, it followed an interview by Charlie Rose with Vladimir Putin.

The sad thing is Trump gave more of a healthcare plan on Sunday night network television than the GOP has in 6 years. He actually has something beyond "Repeal Obamacare". He also claims he's going to release a Tax Plan within "the next two days".

:getin:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

Why don't we all just come together and agree that the Romans had a really good thing going with crucifixion.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Trump articulating actual policy positions is... kinda scary. It's one more step to people actually taking him seriously.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ShadowCatboy posted:

That might beat the belt sander and rubbing alcohol method of torture by a bit. :stare:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

stinkles1112 posted:

Trump articulating actual policy positions is... kinda scary. It's one more step to people actually taking him seriously.

He's more serious than the policy platform of the GOP v:v:v

Though "Repeal NAFTA" and "I'll make China stop devaluing their currency!" is about as plausible as his for serious we're going to build a NICE wall he articulated tonight.

Then he says how we need to invest in infrastructure and the middle class. So.. Huh.

He said some rich people on wall street pay more under his tax plan which as this point could be just trolling the Bush plan as talked about earlier.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 28, 2015

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
That hedge fund dude is basically the 80's guy from Futurama. Soon we'll here about him spending his fortune to freeze himself until a cure for boneitis is found.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Paradoxish posted:

This whole discussion is retarded, but this part at least just isn't true. Losing virginity later in life has links to sexual dysfunctions, which themselves can cause all kinds of long term psychological and relationship issues. Someone who has literally never been in any form of intimate relationship by their mid- to late-20s is also going to be in a very odd place when it comes to maturity and normal socialization, and it's not going to just be a matter of "hey, get out more, loser."

I'd love to see some studies that discuss this, or well anything on that. I can certainly say this reflects me and I am in a weird place when it comes to maturity and socialization, though I certainly have my own issues, chiefly being trans. But for example if you told me to go do what 'normal' people do to find a date or whatever I'd stare blankly at you because I have no idea whatsoever that is.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
MRAs are bad and figuring out how people get hosed up in the head is good. There the last three pages are settled.

My agency seems real certain there is going to be a shut down in the next week, and keep telling me to shush when I say I don't want to go to shutdown contingency meetings because it won't happen. it would be pretty hilarious if our two million dollars of boats and airplanes froze into the lake because the government shut down right when freeze up is coming though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I withdraw my earlier suggestion of "woodchipper" and am going with this now :colbert:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Also, it doesn't prove that "sexual intercourse with another human being" is a need, per se, but the fact that rape decreases when prostitution is legalized at least implies that somewhat.

Before anyone says it, every study I'm aware of showing that human trafficking increases in response to legalized prostitution is using lovely data, so please don't bother trying to BUT BUt But... me with barely-researched smug bullshit, thanks!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Van Winkle, a Gulf War veteran, is also the “first and only certified cannabis nurse” in Iowa. At a voter forum at St. Ambrose University on Friday morning, she asked Fiorina what she would do to make it easier for patients — like veterans with PTSD, and children with cancer — to access medicinal marijuana.

“You’re not going to like my answer,” Fiorina responded before hearkening back to her breast cancer diagnosis in 2009. At the time, she recounted, her doctor asked “if I was interested in medicinal marijuana.”

“I said ‘No,’ and his response was ‘Good,’ because its a chemically complex compound that we do not understand — we do not understand how it reacts with chemotherapy and all of the other statements,” she said.
“It is true today …. [that before you get chemotherapy] you cannot have any marijuana in your system for at least 30 days …”

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/09/25/3705774/carly-fiorina-medical-marijuana/

What kind of doctor asks a rhetorical question like that?

Doctor: So how would you like some medical marijuana to help with your cancer?
Patient: Sure, I'll take whatever help....
Doctor: PSYCH! This wasn't gonna help you at all. I just wanted to gently caress with ya. :smug:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If only the schedule of weed wasn't such that it's functionally impossible to do clinical research on it...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/09/25/3705774/carly-fiorina-medical-marijuana/

What kind of doctor asks a rhetorical question like that?

Doctor: So how would you like some medical marijuana to help with your cancer?
Patient: Sure, I'll take whatever help....
Doctor: PSYCH! This wasn't gonna help you at all. I just wanted to gently caress with ya. :smug:

Medical marijuana has loving nothing to do with Fiorina's breast cancer. Ugh. She is this election's Bachmann. :psyduck:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DemeaninDemon posted:

If only the schedule of weed wasn't such that it's functionally impossible to do clinical research on it...

poo poo, I've been doing research on it for the past two years. Whaddya wanna know? :350:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Medical marijuana has loving nothing to do with Fiorina's breast cancer. Ugh. She is this election's Bachmann. :psyduck:

Really, how's her husband been since gay conversion therapy?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Teflon Don posted:

So how about those september politics huh

ill have you know there is a plague about the modern left and their insistence on morals.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Munkeymon posted:

Also, it doesn't prove that "sexual intercourse with another human being" is a need, per se, but the fact that rape decreases when prostitution is legalized at least implies that somewhat.

Prostitution is another form of rape

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Series DD Funding posted:

Prostitution is another form of rape

Is this a serious statement

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

an skeleton posted:

Some famous feminist once said that even consentual sex between a man and his wife is a form of violence against women. So... maybe?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dalael posted:

Some famous feminist once said that even consentual sex between a man and his wife is a form of violence against women. So... maybe?

Citation needed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

El Disco posted:

Citation needed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stinkles1112 posted:

So is it fair to say that in your opinion the correct way to deal with the whole MRA thing is to scorn and ridicule them until they go away?

While that seems like a good and cathartic option, isn't it also true that their previous (perceived) subjection to scorn and ridicule is kinda what feeds their whole movement? And so is maybe counterproductive?

Coordinated societal ridicule crushed the KKK well before the civil rights movement really got into swing. Why are you so opposed to ridicule?

Also, arresting the ringleaders should do pretty well.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Dalael posted:

If we're thinking about the same quote, then it's a faaaaaake:

quote:

All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman.

The allegation that Catharine MacKinnon equated sex with rape, or suggested that all sex is hostile, seems to have been first made in the October 1986 issue of Playboy. Catharine MacKinnon has denied ever saying anything of the kind. [1]
Instead MacKinnon asserts that rape and intercourse are "difficult to distinguish" (1983), and that "the major distinction between intercourse (normal) and rape (abnormal) is that the normal happens so often that one cannot get anyone to see anything wrong with it" (1989).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Disco posted:

Citation needed.

the context is that patriarchy is so bad at the time that women can't meaningfully withhold consent, such that any putative consent they give is not real

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the context is that patriarchy is so bad at the time that women can't meaningfully withhold consent, such that any putative consent they give is not real

The context is that he was repeating that same bullshit "all sex is rape" fake quote, which he likely would have discovered if he had seriously tried to dig up a citation for the quote.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

El Disco posted:

The context is that he was repeating that same bullshit "all sex is rape" fake quote, which he likely would have discovered if he had seriously tried to dig up a citation for the quote.

The quote itself may be a fake, but what she actually said is very similar. It is still equating sex to rape.

quote:

Instead MacKinnon asserts that rape and intercourse are "difficult to distinguish" (1983), and that "the major distinction between intercourse (normal) and rape (abnormal) is that the normal happens so often that one cannot get anyone to see anything wrong with it" (1989).

Different words, similar meaning.

E: Also, what if she actually did say it that way, but then simply denied it afterward because she realised how stupid it was?

EE: Here is another great quote of her: Compare victims' reports of rape with women's reports of sex. They look a lot alike

Dalael fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 28, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've usually heard the quote ascribed to Dworkin:

quote:

there is never a real privacy of the body that can coexist with intercourse: with being entered. The vagina itself is muscled and the muscles have to be pushed apart. The thrusting is persistent invasion. She is opened up, split down the center. She is occupied--physically, internally, in her privacy. ...

There is no analogue anywhere among subordinated groups of people to this experience of being made for intercourse: for penetration, entry, occupation. There is no analogue in occupied countries or in dominated races or in imprisoned dissidents or in colonialized cultures or in the submission of children to adults or in the atrocities that have marked the twentieth century ranging from Auschwitz to the Gulag. There is nothing exactly the same, and this is not because the political invasion and significance of intercourse is banal up against these other hierarchies and brutalities. Intercourse is a particular reality for women as an inferior class; and it has, in it, as part of it, violation of boundaries, taking over, occupation, destruction of privacy, all of which are construed to be normal and also fundamental to continuing human existence. There is nothing that happens to any other civilly inferior people that is the same in its meaning and in its effect even when those people are forced into sexual availability, heterosexual or homosexual; while the subject people, for instance, may be forced to have intercourse with those who dominate them, the God who does not exist did not make human existence, broadly speaking, dependent on their compliance. The political meaning of intercourse for women is the fundamental question of feminism and freedom: can an occupied people--physically occupied inside, internally invaded--be free; can those with a metaphysically compromised privacy have self-determination; can those without a biologically based physical integrity have self-respect?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

My lord USPol thread...

What horrors the MRAs have wrought upon you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dalael posted:

The quote itself may be a fake, but what she actually said is very similar. It is still equating sex to rape.

Different words, similar meaning.

E: Also, what if she actually did say it that way, but then simply denied it afterward because she realised how stupid it was?

I guess we'll have to disagree on the meaning of words, because that part still doesn't mean "all sex is rape."

As for the edit, if she said it in print then there would be documentary evidence that she said it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

El Disco posted:

I guess we'll have to disagree on the meaning of words, because that part still doesn't mean "all sex is rape."

As for the edit, if she said it in print then there would be documentary evidence that she said it.

You're right, she didn't say that specific phrase, she merely implied it in a way where there's no question as to what she means.

It's OK to think all sex is rape, you know.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

an skeleton posted:

Is that?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dalael posted:

What if she said "castrate all boys and feast upon their testicles in our witches coven" but never owned up to it. Do you have 24/7 recordings of her for her entire life? She could have said anything. She could have ordered Lee Harvey Oswald to go kill Kennedy!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 28, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

What if she said "castrate all boys and feast upon their testicles in our witches coven" but never owned up to it. Do you have 24/7 recordings of her for her entire life? She could have said anything. She could have ordered Lee Harvey Oswald to go kill Kennedy!

My point is, that playboy quote may have come from somewhere. Its not because it wasn't in print, that she hasn't said it. There's no proof either way, so I guess your comment is not wrong either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dalael posted:

My point is, that playboy quote may have come from somewhere. Its not because it wasn't in print, that she hasn't said it. There's no proof either way, so I guess your comment is not wrong either.

So then you're just wasting everyone's time.

• Locked thread