Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Agreed. He was fine in-ring and his finishers looked cool as heck. He's just such a great talker/character it overshadows it.

Decided to buy another shirt from him. Found a cool one, but I'm upset to see that he reprinted this shirt and already sold all his size Ls.

This puts me up to 5 or 6 but I'm sure APSouthern still has me beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Perry Normal posted:

Agreed. He was fine in-ring and his finishers looked cool as heck. He's just such a great talker/character it overshadows it.

Decided to buy another shirt from him. Found a cool one, but I'm upset to see that he reprinted this shirt and already sold all his size Ls.

This puts me up to 5 or 6 but I'm sure APSouthern still has me beat.

So sad to discover both that he's retiring, and that he doesn't have any more lovely pink ones available.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

At least he still has that... uh... vegan hardcore band?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Luigi Thirty posted:

hell yeah bro

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I mean it's easy to mock but they did get signed to Relapse Records, who are one of the bigger metal labels

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite UltraMantis moment is from back in 2008. I used to do interviews with Chikara guys for my old site and, via MySpace, I asked Tim Donst if he'd be interested. He was and I sent him the questions. Around the time, they were doing an angle where UltraMantis dropped Donst on his head so hard that he gave him amnesia and then convinced him that he was part of the Neo-Solar Temple. The questions reflected that a bit.

Donst took a while to answer the questions and even sent me an apologetic message saying his answers were still on the way. Then one day I got the answers... as messaged to me from UltraMantis' MySpace account.

quote:

Can you tell us some background on your amateur wrestling upbringing? What happened for you to make the transition towards professional wrestling?

– Certainly. I, Timothy Donst, became well-versed in the art of Greco-Roman competition during my secondary school education as well as at olde University. However, my grappling skills were quite feeble until I submitted myself to the great UltraMantis Black. Under his tutelage, I gained the necessary tools to excel not only in the sport of professional wrestling, but in the vast grandeur of the eternal realm as well.

Awesome.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Tim Donst is awesome too, but UMB is a total class act. I wanted to buy a lucha mask and asked Mantis about a store that was selling his stuff, and he sent me a message telling me to avoid them and check with this place in Japan that designed his most recent masks. He's just so much fun to talk to in person as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

Tim Donst is awesome too, but UMB is a total class act. I wanted to buy a lucha mask and asked Mantis about a store that was selling his stuff, and he sent me a message telling me to avoid them and check with this place in Japan that designed his most recent masks. He's just so much fun to talk to in person as well.

If you buy stuff from him direct he sends you weird neat stuff like WWE trading cards from the 90's It's great.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ultramantis Black outside of maybe Fire Ant and Soldier Ant is the wrestler that most screams "This is Chikara" to me.

I hope he stays on as a manager.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

If there's a Lucha Underground 2, he needs to be on commentary, replacing Vampiro while he goes off and does his emperor vampire sith pope thing

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
One of my favorite things UMB ever did was this "shoot" interview. The woman asking the questions was a pre-wrestling Veda Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkOgZaitp_M

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Ultramantis is what basically got me back into wrestling and into Chikara. One of the first bits I saw with him was when they were doing the Hydralock challenge, and Mantis pulled a "random fan" from the audience, which was actually Crossbones in a wig. The Neo Solar Temple when it was Crossbones, Hydra and Mantis will always be one of my all time favorite stables. So much stupid fun, with Mantis carrying it so well between a joke and something to be taken seriously.

I hope he sticks around as a manager, and I'm really happy I was able to watch him at last years season finale and meet him very quickly after the show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

If there's a Lucha Underground 2, he needs to be on commentary, replacing Vampiro while he goes off and does his emperor vampire sith pope thing

That's a great loving idea. Although given where UMB lives, possibly not feasible unless they'd be willing to fly him in.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 11, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Flameingblack posted:

Can I get a lead on where to buy a UMB mask?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lone Goat posted:

Can I get a lead on where to buy a UMB mask?
The mexican knockoff store isn't online anymore and I've long lost the email address of the person from Japan I was given :v:

Email Mantis and ask if there's going to be any put up in the CHIKARA store. They're low quality, but it's something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If you haven't been watching Thursdays on the Throne every week, you're missing out. This week's episode isn't the best, but the joke in the middle about Trios completely killed me.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Chuck Taylor's twitter has gone dark, but he's still booked for Chikara shows?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

Chuck Taylor's twitter has gone dark, but he's still booked for Chikara shows?

I thought I read somewhere that he was working out the year for CHIKARA before dying going to WWE, but I'm pretty sure that didn't come from Dave or anyone else that sticks out to me as overly trustworthy. Grain of salt and all that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
People signing with WWE don't talk about it publicly and overtly. One person in the current intake nearly got their deal pulled as word leaked.

WWE apparently turned down Chuck Taylor as they wanted him to get his gnarly looking shoulder surgically repaired. His years of (ironic) racism on Twitter may have hurt things too. Endlessly calling Roman Reigns Dean Ambrose's "little brown friend" had to hit someone's radar in WWE.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

If you haven't been watching Thursdays on the Throne every week, you're missing out. This week's episode isn't the best, but the joke in the middle about Trios completely killed me.

One of these days, Jakob will finally get thru to the Telegraph department.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

rovert posted:

People signing with WWE don't talk about it publicly and overtly. One person in the current intake nearly got their deal pulled as word leaked.

WWE apparently turned down Chuck Taylor as they wanted him to get his gnarly looking shoulder surgically repaired. His years of (ironic) racism on Twitter may have hurt things too. Endlessly calling Roman Reigns Dean Ambrose's "little brown friend" had to hit someone's radar in WWE.

But post-BoLA, at the peak of Chuck Taylor's "I'm retiring" poo poo, Bryan asked Dave about the impending retirement and Dave immediately said "no one's retiring from BoLA."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So if you skip to about 50 minutes in you can hear Quack's response to the Fenix thing from KOT

http://grizzlybearcafe.com/podcast/2015/9/14/327-speed-centaur-grizzly-bear-egg-cafe.html

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2015

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
whatever that link is is completely busted for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

whatever that link is is completely busted for me.

Fixed I hope

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Results out of Gibsonville, NC last night--

1. COTI Tag - Gentleman's Club (Chuck Taylor & Orange Cassidy) def. Battle Hive (Amasis & Worker Ant) with some Freshly Squeezed Mist and an Awful Waffle on Amasis.
2. COTI Singles - Jakob Hammermeier [BDK] def. Argus [Snake Pit] with a knockout punch.
3. Magic Move Match - Frightmare def. Mr. Touchdown with the crucifix bomb. The magic move was a crossbody to the outside. Mr. TD hit the magic move.
4. COTI Singles - Oleg the Usurper [Arcane Horde] def. Eddie Kingston [Snake Pit] with the Off With His Head. Hard-hitting match. Oleg punched the post on the outside, and Kingston worked the arm. Kingston made the ropes after one OWHH, and Oleg likewise made the ropes after a Backfist To The Future. A second OWHH put Kingston down for the three.
5. COTI Trios - Crown & Court (Princess Kimber Lee & Los Ice Creams) def. The Wrecking Crew (Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch) via "excesivo de castigo" DQ. Max Smashmaster hit El Hijo del Ice Cream with three tombstones and refused to try to win the match, so the ref disqualified them.
6. Singles Match - Shynron def. The Proletariat Boar of Moldova (w/ Juan Francisco de Coronado & Prakash Sabar) with the "Dragon Twist" backflip cutter.
7. Trios Match - Dasher's Dugout (Dasher Hatfield, Icarus, Heidi Lovelace) def. Battleborn (Kevin Condron, Lucas Calhoun, Missile Assault Man) with a sunset flip out of the corner on Missile by Dasher. Lot of story going on in the match. Condron refused to fight and seemed to still be in PTSD mode after killing Orbit Adventure Ant at KOT. Icarus dragged out the Hammer of Peace, but was noticeably unable to lift it anymore, suggesting he is no longer worthy to hold it. Icarus taunted Condron with the Hammer, causing Condron to eventually run away. Missile Assault Man finally said his name ("Missile! Assault! MAN!") for the first time.
8. Encore Match - Silver Ant def. Juan Francisco de Coronado with a Kimura Lock in about 5 minutes. No word on whether this match counts toward the COTI.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Reading the results of Crown & Court vs. Wrecking Crew, I went from "Haha, without Sidney, they can't even win!" to "Oh... oh dear. :ohdear:"

Oleg vs. Kingston sounds fun, though.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

Reading the results of Crown & Court vs. Wrecking Crew, I went from "Haha, without Sidney, they can't even win!" to "Oh... oh dear. :ohdear:"

Yeah, that's how I felt about it, too.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I was at the Gibsonville show and it was pretty great. Not as good as the one last year, but I had a lot of fun. Match of the night was probably Oleg/Kingston.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Do we all think NRG are winning the tag belts tonight?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Results out of Norfolk--

1. COTI Singles - Chuck Taylor [Gentleman's Club] def. Jakob Hammermeier [BDK] with a roll-up.
2. Magic Move Match - Battleborn (Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault Man) def. United Nations (Prakash Sabar & Proletariat Boar w/ JFDC) with a Missile Launcher and a Samoan Drop. The Samoan Drop was the magic move. During the match, Condron and Troll came out. Calhoun said they hadn't seen him since last night. Condron walks out of the building, while Missile doesn't take his eyes off him. Awkward.
3. COTI Singles - Silver Ant [Nightmare Warriors] def. Oleg the Usurper [Arcane Horde] by countering Off With His Head into a cross armbreaker. Silver's apparently not fully corrupted yet, as he held the ropes open for Oleg during the entrance. Oleg was still selling a sore hand from his war with Kingston yesterday.
4. COTI Tag - Dasher's Dugout (Icarus & Mr. Touchdown) def. Snake Pit (Eddie Kingston & Argus) with a TD spinebuster on Argus. Argus got busted open during the match. Icarus and Kingston finally locked up.
5. COTI Trios - Crown & Court (Princess Kimber Lee, Jervis Cottonbelly, Ice Cream Junior) def. Battle Hive (Amasis, Fire Ant, Worker Ant) with a Kimber Lee pop-up powerbomb on Fire Ant. Princess demanded equal rights, equal fights and apparently lost her mind. Apparently Hijo is recuperating in a freezer with sprinkles.
6. COTI Singles - Dasher Hatfield [Dasher's Dugout] (w/ Mr. Touchdown & Heidi) def. Flex Rumblecrunch [Wrecking Crew] with a roll-up after a potentially loaded clothesline. Dasher tried to do a People's Elbow spot, but Touchdown interrupted it to toss him his elbow pad. After the match, Touchdown was quick to take the elbow pad back. Hm.
7. Campeonatos de Parejas Best of 3 Falls - N_R_G (Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon) def. Devastation Corporation (Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive) 2-1 to become the new champs.
- 1st Fall: Dev Corp after Blaster got his knees up to block a top-rope splash from Jaxon and rolled him up.
- 2nd Fall: N_R_G after Hype hit a double-stomp on Max.
- 3rd Fall: N_R_G after Hype hit the Hyper Wheel on Blaster.
8. Encore Match - Heidi Lovelace def. Frightmare with a spike hurricanrana.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon might be the worst names in Chikara history and that's saying a lot

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I know Dev Corp had to lose sooner rather than later, but I was really hoping it wouldn't be to the guys whose gimmick is "we have a paid sponsorship".

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

InShaneee posted:

I know Dev Corp had to lose sooner rather than later, but I was really hoping it wouldn't be to the guys whose gimmick is "we have a paid sponsorship".

It's more like "not-quite-3.0 with paid sponsorship."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bard Maddox posted:

Hype Rockwell & Race Jaxon might be the worst names in Chikara history and that's saying a lot

Racist.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

Racist.

Is that was Race Jaxon fans call themselves?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They should.

Anyway, I'm totally fine with the title change. Mainly because:

1) NRG aren't part of Challenge of the Immortals, so they really don't have anything going on this year other than the tag division. Having them lose two title matches would kind of sink them in a year when they're supposed to basically break out.

2) 3.0 can go full heel after failing to beat them for the titles.

3) Wrecking Crew have a better reason to win Challenge of the Immortals. There was never any real drama in any of the members getting Grand Championship matches and they already had the tag belts. On Saturday they literally threw a match away because they didn't give a poo poo about winning. Well, now they give a poo poo.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

InShaneee posted:

Kinda disappointed that Bakabella left before they could bring in Koko B. Ware as their manager.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

3.0 can go full heel after failing to beat them for the titles.

Are they for sure coming back now? I suppose I had assumed KoT was a one-off.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jay 2K Winger posted:

It's more like "not-quite-3.0 with paid sponsorship."

Watching them do promos...they sure are like 3.0

I just want 3.0, are they they better than 3.0? If not, why are they there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Wazzu posted:

Watching them do promos...they sure are like 3.0

I just want 3.0, are they they better than 3.0? If not, why are they there?

3.0 ended up on the couch for like 10 months for Shane Mathews having terrible opinions that offended Quack's sensibilities, mainly involving women's wrestling. Nobody is sure if them coming back during King of Trios was actually them being brought back or was a one-off.

During that time, Quack probably wanted someone to do some comedy bits involving energy drinks and NRG were the best candidates.

• Locked thread