Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Apologies for repeating the previous poster, but... what reward credits? I'm looking through the current BB deals, and I'm not seeing it.

Basically as you spend money they give you certificates to use on future purchases. Kind of like cash back programs.

You have to be a Rewards Zone member (free) and use that on every purchase to accumulate points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Oh, I see. Thank you!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't get a link size that I'm happy with on the huatch. Either too tight or too loose, and there's no additional adjustment like very other metal band I've had. I love the watch in general but this is almost a deal breaker.

Is there some way to make small changes to butterfly clasps that I'm missing?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I had that issue on the gen 1 360. Just settled on loose and it always aggravated the poo poo out of me.

The leather strap on the Huawei fits absolutely perfect. Too bad it doesn't look all that great to me (I prefer metal) but drat if it isn't comfortable.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

hotsauce posted:

I had that issue on the gen 1 360. Just settled on loose and it always aggravated the poo poo out of me.

The leather strap on the Huawei fits absolutely perfect. Too bad it doesn't look all that great to me (I prefer metal) but drat if it isn't comfortable.

I wonder if a mesh band would be better. It looks like it combines the flexibility of a leather strap and the looks of a metal band.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're not wearing a NATO strap, you're doing it wrong. :colbert:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I haven't used Android Wear in a while, so this may not be new. When driving, I remember the watch waking up a million times and draining the battery. Putting it into theater mode helped this. I just got finished driving home via the freeway and was using Google Maps. It put the watch display into a basic black and white mode with an outline of the map on the screen and the next turn on the lower card. Don't think this is new.

What seemed to be new was the fact that over ~40mph, when I raised my wrist, the display didn't wake. It stayed in the dim black and white mode. Tried it several times on the freeway, never woke. When I exited and slowed, raising my arm turned the watch fully on with colors, waking it.

Is this new or am I seriously out of date? Seems like a great feature since I use navigation a lot and recall it chugging power on the gen 1 360 because it woke the face up with every movement it seemed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of straps, just bought one of these for my GWR:

http://www.crownandbuckle.com/black-kangaroo-leather-nato.html

Can't wait. :neckbeard:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ugh... I was gonna refuse delivery on this but my link strap sizing issues got me to open it and try it. It's a no brainer improvement as far as comfort/fit goes but I don't like the look as much, even though it looks great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stopped by Best Buy today and saw they did have a few of the 2nd gen 360s in the case, 4 total and all were 42mm. Two of them were men's all black and two were the rose gold women's.

If they would have had any of the 46mm silver, I would have snapped one up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Ugh... I was gonna refuse delivery on this but my link strap sizing issues got me to open it and try it. It's a no brainer improvement as far as comfort/fit goes but I don't like the look as much, even though it looks great.

That looks slick, but almost TOO blingy.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

KillHour posted:

https://youtu.be/CFqbAScJprA

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

KillHour posted:

Yeah it's a bit too Liberace-esque for me, I've decided. I'm going to the gym a lot lately so hopefully my wrist will either get a little bigger or smaller and the problem will solve itself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Stopped by Best Buy today and saw they did have a few of the 2nd gen 360s in the case, 4 total and all were 42mm. Two of them were men's all black and two were the rose gold women's.

If they would have had any of the 46mm silver, I would have snapped one up.

I just got an email from Motorola apologizing for being late on my 46mm silver on MotoMaker so it's likely supply issues.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I don't know if this is just a problem for me, or with a setting on my Moto 360, maybe you guys can help out.

I often find that when I'm wearing long sleeves that aren't loose, so like a coat or something, my 360 is forever picking up the sleeve as long pressing on the watch face and going to the "choose a new face design" menu. Needless to say, this is annoying.

Is this likely to be because the 360's screen is flush with the bezel, and I'd not have the same problem with a different device, one with a raised bezel/recessed screen?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That shouldn't be happening at all because unless your sleeves have conducting threads in them, cloth shouldn't be able to register a touch input on a capacitance display.

So, I really have no clue how this is happening or how to fix it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That shouldn't be happening at all because unless your sleeves have conducting threads in them, cloth shouldn't be able to register a touch input on a capacitance display.

So, I really have no clue how this is happening or how to fix it.

That's OK, I'm baffled by it as well. It may be down to a faulty unit and not directly related to the sleeve at all.

Thanks anyway!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you sweat a good amount and that area's moist, that could easily do it.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

G-Prime posted:

If you sweat a good amount and that area's moist, that could easily do it.

Yeah it can happen. It's not a faulty unit Pork Pie, happens to me too. Also while a recessed screen will make it less common the fabric still doesn't have to dip/bend much to touch the middle of the display so it is still possible.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Zenwatch 2 available for preorder at Newegg

The larger version with rubber strap for 130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886320002
The smaller version with leather strap for 150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886320004

Keep in mind the smaller version has lower resolution(280x280 vs 320x320) and also has a smaller battery(300 vs 400 mah) I believe.
No HR monitor or GPS or QI for either one.

I have absolutely terrible luck with ASUS products but I still caved and preordered the larger version.

Edit: Actually don't order from Newegg. It says nonreturnable and nonexchangeable which is ridiculous. It's available to pre-order from bestbuy which has a better return policy.

lostleaf fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 28, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fossil is starting to ramp up their marketing info about their "Fossil Q" line. No real info, just confirmation there will be a "connected bracelet" (fitness tracker, I assume), a "connected non-display watch", and a round face display (with flat tire) Android Wear watch with an Intel processor.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Magog posted:

Yeah it can happen. It's not a faulty unit Pork Pie, happens to me too. Also while a recessed screen will make it less common the fabric still doesn't have to dip/bend much to touch the middle of the display so it is still possible.

Ah OK thank, it's good to know it's not just my stupid sleeves/faulty watch! I guess I'll just have to live with it or something.

Thank you!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rastor posted:

Fossil is starting to ramp up their marketing info about their "Fossil Q" line. No real info, just confirmation there will be a "connected bracelet" (fitness tracker, I assume), a "connected non-display watch", and a round face display (with flat tire) Android Wear watch with an Intel processor.

Oh hell yeah, Fossil is one of my favorite watch brands. I even had one of those PDA watches once. It was poo poo but I did like flipping it for 4 times what I paid like 5 years later.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dagnabit, should have sold my Urbane last week. Presenting the Urbane 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdRymDRtPJA

quote:

Tonight LG took the wraps off of the new V10 phone and its latest smartwatch, the Watch Urbane 2nd Edition. Like the first model, it has a circular display but one-ups its predecessor by arriving as the first device to combine Android Wear with a built-in cellular connection for calls and data, so you can leave your phone at home -- something even the upgraded Apple Watch can't do. LG already had a webOS-powered Watch Urbane LTE that could go it alone, while Samsung's Gear S ran Tizen. Packing Android Wear means this watch should have more apps ready for internet-connected use even when your phone and WiFi are out of range. Behind its 1.38-inch 480x480 res P-OLED display there's a 570mAh battery that LG claims can still last through the day with the help of a Power Saving Mode. There's no word on price or exact release date yet, but it's coming to the US and Korea first.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/30/lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edition/

Looks great IMO. This is what some (including me) were expecting at IFA.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 1, 2015

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
That is a fantastic looking watch.

Certainly if I were a DJ I would use it as my premiere collaboration tool. Is that the only thing they could think of for the LTE feature?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Hmm, it looks nice for sure (480x480 OLED display!) but does have some compromises:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-launches-watch-urbane-2nd-edition-lte-connectivity-higher-resolution-display

quote:

The smartwatch will be available in four color variants: Space Black, Opal Blue, Luxe White, Signature Brown. The bands are non-removable this time around and are made out of hypoallergenic TPSiV elastomer.
(Except the brown is maybe some form of leather?)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...a-teaser-video/

quote:

The watch is actually a little smaller than the original G Watch R with a 44.5mm diameter, but it's quite thick at 14.2mm.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is a watch with a cellular radio something that people actually want?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RMA process with Moto went smooth other than the fact that they didn't have a category under the web form for my issue (cracked back). Finally settled on "Accessories" -> "Other" since the chat person not to choose physical damage for the reason for the RMA.

They emailed me a prepaid Fedex shipping slip and I sent the watch out. It arrived at their location on Monday and by Tuesday evening I had a fedex label notification email. I noticed that the package finally shipped yesterday and this morning I got an email from Moto saying my replacement device had been shipped. Fedex says I should have it Friday.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is a watch with a cellular radio something that people actually want?
I don't quite understand this either. Presumably it requires a SIM card. So now you're paying two phone bills and people have to guess whether to call your watch or your phone? It sounds laughable. Am I missing something?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tunga posted:

I don't quite understand this either. Presumably it requires a SIM card. So now you're paying two phone bills and people have to guess whether to call your watch or your phone? It sounds laughable. Am I missing something?

You will be able to added it to a plan on a supported carrier for $10 max a month who will also probably take care of call forwarding/caller ID for the watch. Also the thing that you are missing is people who work out regularly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Ugh. This looks great, but a watch without standard lugs for bands is 100% a deal breaker for me. WTF, LG?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

quote:

The bands are non-removable this time around and are made out of hypoallergenic TPSiV elastomer.

That's a dealbreaker. What if I want a new metal band? What if the band that came with it breaks or gets seriously scuffed up? Seems like a very strange compromise to make, I wonder how they'll explain it away.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Ugh, forgot my 360 at home today. Didn't realize till I was already halfway to work. Feelin naked.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

KillHour posted:

Ugh. This looks great, but a watch without standard lugs for bands is 100% a deal breaker for me. WTF, LG?

The antenna is in the band.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

You will be able to added it to a plan on a supported carrier for $10 max a month who will also probably take care of call forwarding/caller ID for the watch.
This makes more sense, yeah.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The antenna is in the band.

I know why they did it. I'm just saying it's a dealbreaker for me.

Couldn't they have wrapped it around the circular piece on the top? They could have put a thin plastic ring around it to hide the antenna in, and nobody would have noticed.

Speaking of bands:

I got a package!

:peanut:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Watch Urbane 2nd Edition next to Huawei Watch:

Watch Urbane 2nd Edition between Moto 360 2nd Edition and Huawei Watch:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm fine with/maybe even prefer a big faced watch but I'd like to see how thick it is...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm fine with/maybe even prefer a big faced watch but I'd like to see how thick it is...

Here are some hands-on reports / photos:

Android Central

Android Authority

Phone Arena

Digital Trends

Mashable

Gizmodo

Ars Technica

The Verge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So maybe I was never the wear power user the rest of you are but using my 360 on the 6S has been pretty good. I lose reply from the wrist for some apps but it is clear that Google is making their apps and platform on iOS Not poo poo these days. Last time I tried Google stuff on an iPhone two years ago was a poo poo show, but this is pretty good.