Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
It's kinda all over the place imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Is it really called "Moon: Moon Moon"? That's just ballsy enough I might have to check it out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gvibes posted:

Maybe Richard Russo's Ship of Fools.

This one is really good. It's the last book I read in entirely one sitting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Is it really called "Moon: Moon Moon"? That's just ballsy enough I might have to check it out.

it's luna: new moon i think

ian macdonald is an extremely legit sci fi writer so i suppose i'd better check it out

ship of fools/unto leviathan is also quite good. a goon posted a while back he'd met russo who'd said he was working on a sequel but at this stage i'm gonna file that in the same place as susanna clarke's jonathan strange and mr norrell sequel

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Baru Cormorant is really good. I felt like someone read guns germ and steel and thought "gently caress, this would make a really great story" and wrote a kick rear end one.

On the other hand, Student berserkers! :black101:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Neurosis posted:

ship of fools/unto leviathan is also quite good. a goon posted a while back he'd met russo who'd said he was working on a sequel but at this stage i'm gonna file that in the same place as susanna clarke's jonathan strange and mr norrell sequel

I loved Ship of Fools for many reasons, but it's one of those that handles its mystery skillfully, revealing enough to give some satisfaction without showing all its cards or dumping a huge and ultimately boring exposition on the reader. I found a book of his short stories and they were also quite enjoyable. He does have a tendency towards depressing topics and themes but it's never completely dark, IMO.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Megazver posted:

Let's not Jack Reacher shame, either. :colbert:

I tried reading these because I thought the movie was interesting. I didn't get very far - maybe 2/3 of the first book before I stalled.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Haha, was about to post the same.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Neurosis posted:

it's luna: new moon i think

Haha oops, yeah that one.

I'm about 3/4 and have no idea how this plot is going to come together at all.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've started reading this book No Return by Zachary Jernigan and it's awesome so far. It's got a great original, weird and interesting fantasy setting/concept, same for it's characters, the plot seems to be going really good places with good pacing, and, above all, it's very well written, with a good, concise prose style. It came out a few years ago too, I don't understand how it's so under the radar and never mentioned anywhere I go to read about good sf&f books, but then again there's lots of great books like that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Getting my copy of ancillary mercy Monday, I may disappear from the world for 48 hours.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

I loved Ship of Fools for many reasons, but it's one of those that handles its mystery skillfully, revealing enough to give some satisfaction without showing all its cards or dumping a huge and ultimately boring exposition on the reader. I found a book of his short stories and they were also quite enjoyable. He does have a tendency towards depressing topics and themes but it's never completely dark, IMO.

The Carlucci trilogy is some great Blade Runner poo poo.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Has there been any instance of the Islamic Hajj brought up in science fiction? The recent deaths in Mecca this year (and the related topics of crowd control, travel time, expenses, etc) has gotten me wondering about Muslims in a spacefaring future, given that there are very specific instructions on what to do, and within a very specific timeframe. For example, if Earth was an irradiated wasteland, would it be "enough" to enter Earth orbit, or would you need to get on a hardened shuttle in an environmental radiation suit (assuming one could survive)? What if environmental catastrophes put Mecca underwater? Or it was destroyed entirely, and where Mecca was is a point in the air in the middle of a giant crater? Visiting Mecca once in in your lifetime is a mandatory part of the Muslim faith, assuming one is physically / financially / practically capable of doing so, but I have no idea what defines "capable" now, or in the future. The only Muslims in SF I can think of off the top of my head is the father/son pair in "Pitch Black".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Has there been any instance of the Islamic Hajj brought up in science fiction? The recent deaths in Mecca this year (and the related topics of crowd control, travel time, expenses, etc) has gotten me wondering about Muslims in a spacefaring future, given that there are very specific instructions on what to do, and within a very specific timeframe. For example, if Earth was an irradiated wasteland, would it be "enough" to enter Earth orbit, or would you need to get on a hardened shuttle in an environmental radiation suit (assuming one could survive)? What if environmental catastrophes put Mecca underwater? Or it was destroyed entirely, and where Mecca was is a point in the air in the middle of a giant crater? Visiting Mecca once in in your lifetime is a mandatory part of the Muslim faith, assuming one is physically / financially / practically capable of doing so, but I have no idea what defines "capable" now, or in the future. The only Muslims in SF I can think of off the top of my head is the father/son pair in "Pitch Black".

Not much Mecca, I'm afraid. A lot of mecha, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hyperion? I don't remember if they deal with the Hajj specifically, but Space Islam's a major force.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also interesting topics: figuring out the qibla on a galactic scale and calculating the proper times for salat when relativity is involved.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Isn't the majority culture in Dune Islamic?

I'm not talking about the Fremen (captain obvious), but the rest of the galactic community. The emperor's title is Padishah, and the rulers of planetary fiefs were "Siridars", which is close enough to Sardar it can't be a coincidence.

I don't think Herbert deals much with the Hajj either though.

e:gotcha.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

tooterfish posted:

I'm not talking about the Fremen (captain obvious), but the rest of the galactic community. The emperor's title is Padishah, and the rulers of planetary fiefs were "Siridars", which is close enough to Sardar it can't be a coincidence.

Well there were presumably all sorts of religions (the Zensunni Fremen among them), but Paul's Galaxy-spanning Jihad between Dune and Dune Messiah wipes them all out and replaces them with his religion/government hybrid. Arrakis becomes the capital and the religious center of the galaxy. I'm not sure if it's mandatory, but Messiah talks about the massive infrastructure to support and mechanics of enormous populations of pilgrims making the Hajj to Arrakis. So it is there, as a somewhat major background element. There are descriptions of several ceremonies and I'm pretty sure there are specified prayer times that the masses observe. But it doesn't really deal with what it's like for the religious away from Arrakis.

Another sci-fi book that features Islam and the Hajj in particular is Kim Stanley Robinson's alternate history novel The Years of Rice and Salt. There's one section that is all about Mecca before/during/after Hajj season set in the alternate 1500s.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In Red Mars there were a lot of Muslims, and they just prayed toward Earth, because that's where Mecca was

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

tooterfish posted:

The religion of most of the empire in Dune is described as an amalgam of a bunch of religions.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

One of the horrible creepy Jack Chalker books (not to narrow it down any) had as backstory the reason a civilization worshipped the big gas giant they revolved around was because that was where the space gate to Earth used to be, and hence that was the direction of Mecca.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I haven't actually read any of this but I've had it bookmarked forever, so I can't say if any of the stories deal with the Hajj, but it might be a good starting point:

http://www.islamscifi.com/AMosqueAmngstTheStars.pdf

It is an anthology of Islamic sci-fi stories.

anilEhilated posted:

Not exactly the hard SF you may be looking for, but in this vein I loved Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy.

I always gotta second this recommendation when I see it brought up. The second book can be a bit plodding, but other than that it's a wonderful series.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
God's War by Kameron Hurley was pretty good, and had a futuristic-Islamic feel.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Beef Hardcheese posted:

This comes across really uncomfortably. How many accounts of Jerusalem being drowned/nuked/bio-attacked have you come across in literature that you were looking to read?

I know it's topical and all but that's coming across as some pretty nasty racist poo poo you're asking about, without any background to why you're interested.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Nothing he said was nasty or racist. He did not imply Islam would be the cause of any of these catastrophes.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

Nothing he said was nasty or racist. He did not imply Islam would be the cause of any of these catastrophes.
On the other hand, I've read a regrettable amount of literature where something like that was done to Mecca, because Muslims are evil and must be destroyed. Then again, I doubt anybody who cares enough to actually think about how religious practice would be affected by global catastrophe or interstellar travel would come down on the "religion is evil" side of things.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I bet Hare Krishnas would do pretty well in sci-fi stories, what with all the extra space ports and bullet train stations to hang around in.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And imagine Jehovah's Witnesses getting an ansible.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

This comes across really uncomfortably. How many accounts of Jerusalem being drowned/nuked/bio-attacked have you come across in literature that you were looking to read?

I know it's topical and all but that's coming across as some pretty nasty racist poo poo you're asking about, without any background to why you're interested.
Seriously?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

coyo7e posted:

It's actually a pretty common occurrence, all things considered. The temple that the Romans destroyed in AD 70 is reportedly the third temple built on that spot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You probably discovered the world's longest-running fire insurance scam.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Not exactly what you're talking about but the Marid Auduran books by George Alec Effinger take place in an Islamist (not islamo-fascist) cyberpunk future that is very cool. Also there is a character they call "the half-hajj" because he's a flake and tries to go on the Hajj all the time but gets distracted and fucks off back home.

These books are good and you should read them.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

gvibes posted:

Maybe Richard Russo's Ship of Fools.

occamsnailfile posted:

This book was really awesome and contained the exact kind of mystery and exploration of alien remnants that I was looking for. I finished it in one sitting because I liked it so much, this book seriously nailed it. I'm going to check out some more books that were suggested, but if anyone else knows of any books that are like this, I'd love to check them out.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MrSmokes posted:

This book was really awesome and contained the exact kind of mystery and exploration of alien remnants that I was looking for. I finished it in one sitting because I liked it so much, this book seriously nailed it. I'm going to check out some more books that were suggested, but if anyone else knows of any books that are like this, I'd love to check them out.
Roadside Picnic.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Forgall posted:

Roadside Picnic.

I also love the end of that book.

The differences and similarities in feel and theme between the book and the movie are also interesting. The movie is also one of my favourites ever.

Munin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 28, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I stumbled across the new Sanderson joint, Perfect World.

"God-Emperor Kairominas is lord of all he surveys. He has defeated all foes, has united the entire world beneath his rule, and has mastered the arcane arts. He spends his time sparring with his nemesis, who keeps trying to invade Kai's world.
Except for today. Today Kai has to go on a date. Forces have conspired to require him to meet with his equal - a woman from another world who has achieved just as much as he has. What happens when the most important man in the world is forced to have dinner with the most important woman in the world?"
:rolleye:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This actually sounds fun, but Sanderson is not who I'd want to read this from.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Apparently it's called Perfect State, not Perfect World. I just bought it as it sounds like great fun; will post a trip report when finished.

I've never read Sanderson before - his other stuff doesn't sound very appealing to me, and the comments of folks here have generally indicated that I've been right to avoid it. We'll see how this goes!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder how he'll manage to fit in a blow-by-blow magic battle scene into a dinner date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kesper North posted:

I've never read Sanderson before - his other stuff doesn't sound very appealing to me, and the comments of folks here have generally indicated that I've been right to avoid it. We'll see how this goes!

Sanderson is one of my favorite authors to read, because it's easy and enjoyable. I turn my brain off and enjoy reading about cool magics and simple intrigue.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then yeah, just give him a miss. His Stormlight Archives are a bit deeper, but only because he's amped the scale up significantly.