Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Heavy Metal posted:

Huey should have been revealed to be Decoy Octopus. It's such a wasted opportunity that ol' D-pus wasn't in this. (Or was he...?)

Venom is decoy octopus. THINK ABOUT IT FOR LESS THAN A SECOND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Venom is decoy octopus. THINK ABOUT IT FOR LESS THAN A SECOND.

:pusheen:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
So what do you guys think about the cube like buildings at okb zero, (i should propably stop saying stuff like this when im away from my pc and cant link screenshots but here we are) near the helipad having diamond dog logos on them when the same cube buildings are used at the oil field without the logos on so it cant be some lazy reused asset poo poo. Also pequod is the motherfucker flying the chopper that goes to pick up skullface.

Eyes on kazuhira.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Pequod IS your chopper, not a person.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

Did they say if Pequod was the chopper that gets rusted at the end of the Code Talker mission, or was it called something else then?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I did it. It took 30 tries, but I completed A Quiet Exit using a DD Soldier with a useless skill, Olive Drab fatigues, and the GROM that Quiet gives you. With an S. Shame it seems impossible to avoid kills absent some serious tomfoolery, I was almost perfect. :smith:

Actually I'm wondering if perhaps No Traces is even possible on 45. In theory with Mist + Armor Parasites and Fultoning all vehicles... but Quiet likes to take potshots at people and that seems to affect your score, and I dunno if she can be forced to use anything but the AMR. It might be possible to order her to Cease Cover before running around to Fulton everything, maybe? It's easy to get No Alerts because the mission stays in a permanent combat alert that doesn't count against you, so it doesn't matter who sees you.

Incidentally Quiet can do a lot of the work herself in the mission if you use her radial menu and look in the direction of vehicles so she sights on them. She can blow up the green vehicles in 5-8 shots and will eventually wear down the black ones. There's a rock just outside the palace to the left of it that's good for hiding behind. The only vehicles that come around it on the backside are the APCs that roll up to the front and dispense guys, and the ones that stop close to the rock can be Fultoned as soon as they stop.

EDIT: By the way there's a bug on that mission. Normally you can't call a chopper at all during the armored vehicle battle, but if you reload a Checkpoint you suddenly can call Pequod to the SE LZ. When you do he'll fly over to the palace and start loving up the armored vehicles, so he's a good option if you don't mind losing the No Retries bonus.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 28, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Snak posted:

Okay but the guy who pilots it is picking up skullface, even has his diamond dogs helmet on and they already have an xof pilot model.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Rirse posted:

Did they say if Pequod was the chopper that gets rusted at the end of the Code Talker mission, or was it called something else then?

Pequod is every chopper that picks up Snake, it's like Air Force One but for one-eyed pirate ninjas

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RangerKarl posted:

Pequod is every chopper that picks up Snake, it's like Air Force One but for one-eyed pirate ninjas

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is Venom Snake a better person than Naked Snake (Venom trying to recruit Child Soldiers aside cause Kaz put the kabash on that)? Is it because Venom's playing an idealized version of Big Boss while the real one is an actual dirtbag?

I kept thinking about it, and I think it has to do with the thing they mentioned about people's wills degrading as other people try to copy and interpret them. The copies of The Boss people keep trying to make never end up really like her and turn out terribly. On the other side, when people try to make copies of Big Boss, who is really kind of an rear end in a top hat, they end up not really like him. So even when you get somebody nuts like Liquid, you also have a chance to get Venom, a decent dude, and eventually Snake, the real hero.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And Raiden was initially designed to be a copy of Solid Snake but when he became his own man he became loving amazing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
How much of the information implicating Huey passes through Kaz's hands first?

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

THIS IS PEQUOD, COMING IN HOT

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

A Big... Dog posted:

THIS IS PEQUOD, COMING IN HOT

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RIP Morpho
You were also good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So I finished the Paz missions and swear that a white outline of a butterfly popped on the lower left hand corner of the screen after the big reveal/wakeup.

Am I crazy? Did anyone else notice this or was I snakeceptioned by Kojima?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Speedball posted:

And Raiden was initially designed to be a copy of Solid Snake but when he became his own man he became loving amazing.

It's basically the whole theme of the series in that trying to copy someone else's legacy just means you're gonna have a bad time. Which will make it double funny when Konami shits out a crappy metal gear 6.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jokes on them, they made a clone out of all the recessive genes.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I like that Liquid thinks recessive means bad.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
My journey of playing MGS1-4 for the first time continues, 2 is now finished and :psyduck:

Metal Gear Solid 2: The Phantom Agenda

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
this is pequod cumming in hot

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

sword fighting the president is normal

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ledenko posted:

My journey of playing MGS1-4 for the first time continues, 2 is now finished and :psyduck:

Metal Gear Solid 2: The Phantom Agenda

I really wish I could go back and play all of those games for the first time like that, I can't even imagine what it would be like without the giant multi-year gaps between each game.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah. I like to think of Metal Gears as a metaphor for the crazy useless poo poo that comes out of the military industrial complex and defense spending in general. Like the F-35s of the MGS universe.

Metal Gears have potential to be capable weapons platforms but they only become strategic threats when combined with a nuclear bomb. Without one, Sahelanthropus isn't that much more effective than a bunch of gunships, and those are why the CIA was so worried about the Honeybee getting out.

Actually a lot of the stuff like that in the series gives the impression that the player is seeing things from the eyes of an unreliable narrator. Big Boss is certainly a capable warrior but is he really all that or is he just caught up in his own cult of personality?

Diamond Dogs are by all indications a mercenary company with delusions of grandeur. His vision of a nation of soldiers doesn't make any sense since it puts the conflict cart before the political horse. There's no obvious point where he turns into a villain because his whole enterprise is profiting from conflict in the form of blood diamonds. He clearly wants to make use of the child soldiers. What changes between TPP and MG1 is the perspective.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
When I saw the trailers for this game I was hoping we'd meet raiden, solidus and sniper wolf, hell even a small cameo would have been enough, we got volgin for Christ sake and who cares about him? pfft.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Venom lands in a small Liberian village for one mission.

A blonde Caucasian toddler walks up to him, kicks him hard in the shins, and runs away while a piano version of Rules of Nature plays in the background.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

How much of the information implicating Huey passes through Kaz's hands first?

All of the information impliating Huey comes right from Huey's mouth in the form of him constantly trying to cover up his old lies with new lies.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Venom lands in a small Liberian village for one mission.

A blonde Caucasian toddler walks up to him, kicks him hard in the shins, and removes all the posters from his inventory.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Has anyone noticed that the controls in TPP are missing couple features from GZ? Notably, you can no longer interrupt your punch combo with a throw and if you try to grab a guard behind a corner while crouching, Boss will stand up instead of going into crouch hold.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can still grab a guy behind a corner it just seems like they have to be closer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WaltherFeng posted:

Has anyone noticed that the controls in TPP are missing couple features from GZ? Notably, you can no longer interrupt your punch combo with a throw and if you try to grab a guard behind a corner while crouching, Boss will stand up instead of going into crouch hold.

The timing of disarming dudes is way stricter too.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
No more ordering held up guards to call over their friends as well.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

MGS2 is much better now that I am not a teenager

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Moartoast posted:

They are slapdash, but in a way that seems easy to fix if poo poo breaks. That said, I haven't used anything that changes the game that much beyond model swaps, much as I've been meaning to delve into the janky world of early gameplay mods.

In theory, that pseudo-Subsistence mod should just be a thing that limits your deployment options like you somehow don't meet the requirements for literally anything but fatigues, it shouldn't like, delete your weapons entirely from the options or whatever.

Back up whatever files it tells you to replace, and if you're super paranoid, your save data's in your Steam folder under userdata/<yoursteamusernumber>/311340.

This will apparently be in the inevitably broken, unfun, shut-down-in-a-year Metal Gear Online portion of the game, or at least it was in the old trailer. Coming in October for all consoles including last-gen somehow yet available at the very early time of January for PC users!

Maybe they're adding in anti-cheat mech-HAHAHAHAHA

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

MGS2 is much better now that I am not a teenager

The slipping in bird poo poo technology that no game will ever surpass

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

In It For The Tank posted:

No more ordering held up guards to call over their friends as well.

Did anyone even use that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

Did anyone even use that?

I never have because if I'm holding up a dude, the last thing I want is more dudes coming over to investigate.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

You can still grab a guy behind a corner it just seems like they have to be closer.

No, what I'm saying is that if you do it while crouching, you'll stand up instead of going back into crouch mode, this is annoying when grabbing behind low objects. Heck, can you even grab from behind waist high objects?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

No, what I'm saying is that if you do it while crouching, you'll stand up instead of going back into crouch mode, this is annoying when grabbing behind low objects. Heck, can you even grab from behind waist high objects?

You can, I've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Speedball posted:

You can, I've done it.

As in drag a dude over the box?

• Locked thread