Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
PYF Little things in games thread: #1 Hotspot for why I hate games!

Seriously, take your counterpoints to the Dragging This Game Down Thread.

As for content: Rayman Origins is a decent platformer with a fantastic art style and animations. As well, the expressions many of the enemies get when you 'bubble' them and they know they're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I've been playing through Mercenary Kings since it was on sale for 8 bucks last month, and I really dig how deep the weapon customization is, and how they essentially created a run n gun monster hunter, I am rwally digging this game. I think I've logged 25 hours and I am on the 4th last rank now.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I played Peace Walker and also did not enjoy it because it was bad and not fun. I hope this helps.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The chatter between max-security prisoners in Arkham Knight is pretty great. The conversations are usually just a couple sentences long, but they nail the personalities of the characters. :allears:

Also I love the location of the REC, though I passed by it on accident many times before I actually picked it up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Mokinokaro posted:

Do it a few more times and when they come over to investigate, abandon the box there. There's a much funnier radio conversation that can ensue if you've made them suspicious enough to shoot the now-empty box.

I just stowed the box back in hyperspace and hosed off in my sand camo while the confused guy turned around to use the stairs.

CP THERE WAS A WEIRD BOX HERE I SWEAR

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Evil Badman posted:

If for any reason either of you haven't played the Arkham series, Shadows of Mordor is the same combat system. Go play Arkham City.

I've played the Batman games, but I really enjoy Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system. Not a fan of the combat -- nothing can top Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, sorry -- but the rest of the game is fun and does a great job of taking the piss out of Tolkien and the movies. Ratbag is a wonderful character.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Peace Walker is really good but there's not much point playing it now that V is out.

Things Peace Walker does much better than V which is very disappointing: wacky side missions (ghost hunting, Pooyan, paparazzi etc instead of Rescue Prisoner 1-420) and actually fun Outer Ops. Being able to see abstractions of each individual troop pull off cool poo poo like bringing down a helicopter with a Kampfpistole was a really rewarding sign of your troops' advancement and your increasingly good tech. Now it's just "select an Outer Op, wait three real hours and a popup appears saying you succeeded or failed with no breakdown". Lame, especially when you build a loving Metal Gear and never get to see what it does, how it performs or what it actually looks like in combat. It's just a requirement for the highest-level Outer Ops, and since you only get one of those at a time and you can only deploy the Metal Gear on those specific ops, it's not even really a requirement because there's no way you're not going to meet that requirement. Zeke was great since you could see it, customise it, fight it, and see it blow the poo poo out of hapless enemies in the Outer Ops breakdown. It's a really weird step back in an otherwise awesome game.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Lady Naga posted:

Why should you even need to do that for the true ending? What other Metal Gear game in the history of the series locks plot-relevant information behind grinding?

Uhhh how about goty mgs v you stupid dickhole

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Peace Walker is really good but there's not much point playing it now that V is out.

Things Peace Walker does much better than V which is very disappointing: wacky side missions (ghost hunting, Pooyan, paparazzi etc instead of Rescue Prisoner 1-420) and actually fun Outer Ops. Being able to see abstractions of each individual troop pull off cool poo poo like bringing down a helicopter with a Kampfpistole was a really rewarding sign of your troops' advancement and your increasingly good tech. Now it's just "select an Outer Op, wait three real hours and a popup appears saying you succeeded or failed with no breakdown". Lame, especially when you build a loving Metal Gear and never get to see what it does, how it performs or what it actually looks like in combat. It's just a requirement for the highest-level Outer Ops, and since you only get one of those at a time and you can only deploy the Metal Gear on those specific ops, it's not even really a requirement because there's no way you're not going to meet that requirement. Zeke was great since you could see it, customise it, fight it, and see it blow the poo poo out of hapless enemies in the Outer Ops breakdown. It's a really weird step back in an otherwise awesome game.

What do you mean, mgs v had take out the armored vehicle unit AND take out the tank unit, how much more variation do you need?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Screaming Idiot posted:

What up, behind-the-times buddy? I picked it up myself the other day for the 360, and while the load times and ugly low-rez textures and crappy FPS hurt the game severely, it's fun and quirky enough for me to ignore all those downsides. I grow genuinely attached to some of the orc captains, even to the point to when they show up I just let them kill me.

Oh, Zugrug the Swift, your hideous burlap-sacked countenance is like a glorious ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. :allears:

But didn't they strip out a whole load of the Nemesis system for the last gen versions? You're missing out dude.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Peace Walker feels like Kojima wanted to experiment with something light on the technical scale before taking his ideas and putting them onto a home console. I'm saying this purely on the comparison between PW and PP.

I do miss some of the more out there side ops and I feel like what you were saying about the Battle Gear is due to cut content. There's a lot of set up and absolutely no pay off with that thing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

What do you mean, mgs v had take out the armored vehicle unit AND take out the tank unit, how much more variation do you need?
well, uh, sometimes when I run up to Fulton the [vehicle] while being sniped at by snipers and helicoptered at by helicopters, it spots me. When it's an armoured vehicle, it shoots at me and I sometimes survive, and when it's a tank, it shoots me with its cannon and I die. Its extremely different. Apart from when the tank just shoots at me with its machine gun, which is most of the time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Action Tortoise posted:

Peace Walker feels like Kojima wanted to experiment with something light on the technical scale before taking his ideas and putting them onto a home console. I'm saying this purely on the comparison between PW and PP.

I do miss some of the more out there side ops and I feel like what you were saying about the Battle Gear is due to cut content. There's a lot of set up and absolutely no pay off with that thing.

Battle Gear is explicitly cut content. Kojima went on record saying there was no way they could figure out how to let you use it the way the missions were structured

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fatty posted:

But didn't they strip out a whole load of the Nemesis system for the last gen versions? You're missing out dude.

Oh, I know, but I'm basically doing a merry jig at the poverty line, so no PS4 for me. Even with the stripped-out content Shadow of Mordor's scratching my "kill all greenskins" itch quite nicely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Calaveron posted:

Battle Gear is explicitly cut content. Kojima went on record saying there was no way they could figure out how to let you use it the way the missions were structured

I know it'll never happen, but if we ever got a Definitive Edition with all the cut content restored somehow I would buy that in a heart beat because we lost out on a lot of cool things. Game's fine as is but it could have been better. Like that other guy said, actually getting some visuals on your dudes doing better would have been nice, and more interesting variation on the side missions would have been loved.

Anyway to keep on the MGSV train, there's a bug you can do with the weapon customization and I love it. I have a grenade launcher that shoots out rubber bullets that kill dudes and make them go flying fifty feet with the force of an invisible explosion.

It also looks kind of like a trombone. Sadly you can't paint your guns gold to match the gold of everything else I use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Actually the exact wording was more that it worked, just that it was overpowered as gently caress and flipped the table on any semblance of game balance.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the exact wording was more that it worked, just that it was overpowered as gently caress and flipped the table on any semblance of game balance.

And insane deployment cost and/or an A rank limit would have worked just fine. The stealth gear makes the game absurdly easy but limits usage with the above.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

im insanely glad that a fun thing was removed from MGSV to preserve game balance, which I will keep in mild while calling in (darude) sandstorms, toggling permanent invisibility, and pressing a button that makes my big boob buddy kill everyone on the map while I vape.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im insanely glad that a fun thing was removed from MGSV to preserve game balance, which I will keep in mild while calling in (darude) sandstorms, toggling permanent invisibility, and pressing a button that makes my big boob buddy kill everyone on the map while I vape.

Pretty much my thoughts on it. Don't forget that you can call in Tanks of your own anyway at any time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Except you know drat well if it had stayed in the game people would bitch that it makes the game way too easy and it's over powered and yadda yadda yadda.

See: Skyrim enchanting

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

Except you know drat well if it had stayed in the game people would bitch that it makes the game way too easy and it's over powered and yadda yadda yadda.

Games posters don't count as people.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

blarzgh posted:

So, thanks to this thread I bought MGSV yesterday and played through the first few missions, and I'm really enjoying it. I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before, and have Zero familiarity with the underlying story. I thought it was neat that You wake up from a coma, having lost all your memories, oh look a military incursion, they're here to kill you, gotta escape... What the incredible gently caress is going on.

You should really play Ground Zeroes first though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Len posted:

I'll say it again, Skyrim enchanting isn't bad because it's overpowered. Skyrim enchanting is bad because it's boring and overpowered. All you have to do to break Skyrim over your knee is craft and enchant a bunch of cheap lovely daggers, and the end result of the world's shittiest training montage is a character broken in the exact same way as everyone else's broken character, with effectively infinite HP stores and a sword that does more damage than enemies can keep up with.

Sure, there's an element of grinding in Morrowind and Oblivion's enchanting, but that's just to give you the fullest degree of control over what you can enchant. And it's not like the grinding forces you to stay in one place, since enchanting in those games is based on your magic skills. You'll get better at it as you actually play the game, as opposed to when you prepare to play the game. With enchanting being a lot more freeform in those games, too, you can be more imaginative in how you break it. If you and a friend both decide to make a hilariously broken kit in Morrowind, even given the same resources you'll come up with completely different setups. 'Invincible with a god-sword' is possible in those games too, but it's more fun to make, and it's not the only option.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also, spellcrafting achieved similar fun things with more than a glowy sword to show for it and they took it out. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I know it'll never happen, but if we ever got a Definitive Edition with all the cut content restored somehow I would buy that in a heart beat because we lost out on a lot of cool things. Game's fine as is but it could have been better. Like that other guy said, actually getting some visuals on your dudes doing better would have been nice, and more interesting variation on the side missions would have been loved.

Anyway to keep on the MGSV train, there's a bug you can do with the weapon customization and I love it. I have a grenade launcher that shoots out rubber bullets that kill dudes and make them go flying fifty feet with the force of an invisible explosion.

It also looks kind of like a trombone. Sadly you can't paint your guns gold to match the gold of everything else I use.

The best weapon will always be a grenade with a silencer attached.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Calaveron posted:

You mean the exploding silencer.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlphaKretin posted:

Also, spellcrafting achieved similar fun things with more than a glowy sword to show for it and they took it out. :(

I made a spell that lowered vulnerabilities and did every type of damage. As I leveled, it became ranged. I actually like that I could improve my deathspell as I gained levels.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you want the leadup to MGSV and don't want to play through all the previous games, these guys did a really good and pretty comprehensive video series about the incredibly convoluted plot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Calaveron posted:

How do you customize grenades?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Nuebot posted:

How do you customize grenades?

It's a bug

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

sticklefifer posted:

If you want the leadup to MGSV and don't want to play through all the previous games, these guys did a really good and pretty comprehensive video series about the incredibly convoluted plot.

I gotta give a shoutout to my main man George at SBH They're not super literal interpretations of the game's exact plots but about theming and narrative, so you'll get a better context of what 5 actually means
in the grand scheme.

Calaveron posted:

It's a bug

It's also false. That's a screenshot from Overkill's Payday 2. For some reason people managed to believe it's about MGS5 despite the giant overkill logo on the grenade and the different background colour.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Calaveron posted:

It's a bug

Yes but you can't customize grenades in MGSV unless I'm missing something. For some reason I can't customize my rocket launchers either.

Lady Naga posted:

It's also false. That's a screenshot from Overkill's Payday 2. For some reason people managed to believe it's about MGS5 despite the giant overkill logo on the grenade and the different background colour.

Oh.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Nuebot posted:

Yes but you can't customize grenades in MGSV unless I'm missing something. For some reason I can't customize my rocket launchers either.

GROM needs to at least be level 3. You need customizable parts on a weapon to be able to customize it :L

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

Oh.

The most my FB launcher can switch is whether I want a flashlight or laser sights. When I try to glitch both attachments it's impossible to aim with first person.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Action Tortoise posted:

The most my FB launcher can switch is whether I want a flashlight or laser sights. When I try to glitch both attachments it's impossible to aim with first person.

Well yeah dude you're supposed to give it LMG ammo, or shotgun ammo, or put 8x scopes on it. Borderlands up that bitch. There's better stuff to be done with the glitchy weapon customization other than "I want a bigger flashlight".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I liked Payday 2 because of all the dumb weapon combos but I stopped playing it a couple months after it came out because it was super repetitive.

But I did make this

And a gun so long it didn't fit on the screen.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Lady Naga posted:

While I'm sad to learn that I won't be developing silenced grenades in my MGSV game, I am still going to laugh every time I see this picture.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yeah, Payday 2 was pretty great before my PC busted and I stopped playing it for a year. About a million DLC packs and balance changes just super turned me off. Now I get my co-op hit from Killing Floor 2.

My favorite thing in KF2 is that they made Mr. Foster the one character that loves money above all. Why? Because his VA was the sole voice actor of KF1, and the biggest thing people loved was throwing money around. It's an awesome little nod to the previous game while fleshing out the character.

Also, him and DJ Skully are old friends. :3:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

But I did make this

gently caress you.

Megatron is supposed to have a scope and silencer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

pulp rag posted:

Yeah, Payday 2 was pretty great before my PC busted and I stopped playing it for a year. About a million DLC packs and balance changes just super turned me off. Now I get my co-op hit from Killing Floor 2.

My favorite thing in KF2 is that they made Mr. Foster the one character that loves money above all. Why? Because his VA was the sole voice actor of KF1, and the biggest thing people loved was throwing money around. It's an awesome little nod to the previous game while fleshing out the character.

Also, him and DJ Skully are old friends. :3:

I like the idle chatter between Ana, a French punk Anarchist, and the cryofrozen Nazi soldier. She complains about how not being allowed to kick his rear end is giving her a twitch.