Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Effectronica posted:

No, dumbass, the point is that if the reparations are to be of the same size, then, given that there are fewer black Americans than white Americans, black Americans would have to contribute more proportionately. Requiring the same amount of money from all people would in turn produce smaller reparations from black Americans than from white Americans. You can't even set up a situation that fits your strawman! You're a loving idiot!

I think the best part is that I'm talking on the level of national governments, which makes this example invalid in any case, and that I'm talking about reparations as a substitute for people admitting that racism is wrong- if people actually acknowledge prejudice is wrong, there's no need for the reparations in this scheme! All you need to do is repent of the works of your hands and be free of having your government make a symbolic apology for your very existence, Europeans!

Since you have already established at length that you consider criticizing religious doctrines to be a form of racism, I'd imagine most Europeans wouldn't be very eager to admit that (what you define as) racism is "wrong", and I can't blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Liberal_L33t posted:

Amidst this theatrical display of bloodlust, did you ever get around to acknowledging the point that U.N. (and individual western nations) humanitarian aid funds might qualify as a form of reparations? If you were to closely read the texts of the resolutions mandating the funding of organizations that distribute humanitarian aid, I think you would, in fact, find many references to historical European responsibility for colonialism. Why doesn't this qualify?

Sure, if you take the position that intent doesn't matter, and if you ignore everything I said because racism destroys your brain, you could argue that. But I am equally justified in ignoring you, because if intent doesn't matter, all posts can be treated as if they were accidentally generated by sitting on your phone. Anyways, instead of sitting on your phone you should sit on a landmine.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Since you have already established at length that you consider criticizing religious doctrines to be a form of racism, I'd imagine most Europeans wouldn't be very eager to admit that (what you define as) racism is "wrong", and I can't blame them.

Yes, you're a racist and we can only hope you shoot yourself in the foot before attacking a local mosque, and many Europeans are racist for various reasons, and that is regrettable.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Sure, if you take the position that intent doesn't matter, and if you ignore everything I said because racism destroys your brain, you could argue that. But I am equally justified in ignoring you, because if intent doesn't matter, all posts can be treated as if they were accidentally generated by sitting on your phone. Anyways, instead of sitting on your phone you should sit on a landmine.

Please do not encourage actions which violate the Ottawa Treaty

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Look, it doesn't matter if you spend effort and human capital on rectifying past mistakes through humanitarian efforts. The only thing that counts is if you stand up on the highest pedestal you can find and just yell "I'm not racist anymore", that's the only way to actually help.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

I'm honestly starting to wonder if this tendency to express increasingly worse ideas with incrementally more baffling posts isn't the result of some horrible stroke, maybe because it's somewhat more optimistic than the probability that you're deliberately trying to antagonize anyone and everyone that you possibly can between probations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

No, dumbass, the point is that if the reparations are to be of the same size, then, given that there are fewer black Americans than white Americans, black Americans would have to contribute more proportionately. Requiring the same amount of money from all people would in turn produce smaller reparations from black Americans than from white Americans. You can't even set up a situation that fits your strawman! You're a loving idiot!

I think the best part is that I'm talking on the level of national governments, which makes this example invalid in any case, and that I'm talking about reparations as a substitute for people admitting that racism is wrong- if people actually acknowledge prejudice is wrong, there's no need for the reparations in this scheme! All you need to do is repent of the works of your hands and be free of having your government make a symbolic apology for your very existence, Europeans!

hahaha racism on the level of national governments ahahahaha

i didn't meticulously set up an unassailable fortress of an example because your idea is ridiculous and useless on its face. people will more or less universally (outside of literal neo nazis) pay lip service to the idea of racism being wrong and act offended if you accuse them of racism, the story changes completely if you expect them to do something useful about it tho, but your approach solves that by leaving things at useless masquerade of lip service

e: for the record, useful is not throwing arbitrary amounts of money at even more arbitrary recipients

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 27, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

steinrokkan posted:

Look, it doesn't matter if you spend effort and human capital on rectifying past mistakes through humanitarian efforts. The only thing that counts is if you stand up on the highest pedestal you can find and just yell "I'm not racist anymore", that's the only way to actually help.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Office Pig posted:

I'm honestly starting to wonder if this tendency to express increasingly worse ideas with incrementally more baffling posts isn't the result of some horrible stroke, maybe because it's somewhat more optimistic than the probability that you're deliberately trying to antagonize anyone and everyone that you possibly can between probations.

He mostly just does it in incurably lovely threads in an attempt to get them closed

Tragically, this one seems unusually robust for how incredibly bad it is

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Small Frozen Thing posted:

He mostly just does it in incurably lovely threads in an attempt to get them closed

Oh. Well, that's a cause I can get behind. This thread is incurably lovely.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody has ever said that you shouldn't do the first thing. However, the visceral reactions of hateful people like Finns and Liberal_L33t indicate that doing so is more of an assault on racism than humanitarian aid. There are, of course, theoretical reasons why this would be the case, but I feel that they would be falling on closed minds.

SaltyJesus posted:

hahaha racism on the level of national governments ahahahaha

i didn't meticulously set up an unassailable fortress of an example because your idea is ridiculous and useless on its face. people will more or less universally (outside of literal neo nazis) pay lip service to the idea of racism being wrong and act offended if you accuse them of racism, the story changes completely if you expect them to do something useful about it tho, but your approach solves that by leaving things at useless masquerade of lip service

e: for the record, useful is not throwing arbitrary amounts of money at even more arbitrary recipients

Well, SaltyJesus, because you immediately leapt to the stupidest conclusion (rather than the more reasonable conclusion of reparations at the level of national governments), I have to conclude that you are quite simply not arguing in good faith, and have to interpret the rest of your post in light of this fact. Since apologies are a "useless masquerade of lip service", I demand that you make useful restitution by breaking a bone and providing a picture to prove that you have done this.

Then we can get to the part where there's a distinction between admitting to your own behavior being wrong and that behavior being wrong in the abstract, and you can ignore that, and in this happy realm where the Europeans dwell, you can inflict even more self-harm in lieu of apologizing.

Office Pig posted:

Stay on topic, kiddo.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Yes, I too believe saying "sorry bro, my bad" to a man's son twenty years after stabbing his daddy is cool and good. Your own son can then throw a symbolic twenty bucks at a rando on the street who resembles your victim in the name of reparations.

Precisely because you want reparations for any and all prejudice the idea of reparations at the level of national governments only glosses over so much that it makes the whole idea idiotic. It only makes sense for highly homogeneous nation states or those with a short history and a permanent underclass.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 27, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

Yes, I too believe saying "sorry bro, my bad" to a man's son twenty years after stabbing his daddy is cool and good. Your own son can then throw a symbolic twenty bucks at a rando on the street who resembles your victim in the name of reparations.

Precisely because you want reparations for any and all prejudice the idea of reparations at the level of national governments only glosses over so much that it makes the whole idea idiotic. It only makes sense for highly homogeneous nation states or those with a short history and a permanent underclass.

I agree, you should never admit that murdering/assaulting someone is wrong. That's about the only intelligible thing you're saying here, apart from lying about what I've been saying, which I have convinced myself will never end, not until I can simply cause people to feel like they're passing a kidney stone with magic.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Lemme spell it out for you. Throwing a pithy "my bad" at the descendants of the people your people did something terrible to will seem dishonest at best and like taking the piss at worst if you don't take measures to address and make up for the specific wrongs that have been committed. Just like there's a difference between admitting that some behavior is wrong in the abstract and that your own behavior is wrong there's a difference between making a symbolic gesture and attempting to fix what you broke.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Did you read his thread on evolution? He's completely genuine and unbelievably stupid and histrionic.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

Stay on topic, kiddo.

Seeing how this thread's been made all about you, I think I've done pretty well for myself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

Lemme spell it out for you. Throwing a pithy "my bad" at the descendants of the people your people did something terrible to will seem dishonest at best and like taking the piss at worst if you don't take measures to address and make up for the specific wrongs that have been committed. Just like there's a difference between admitting that some behavior is wrong in the abstract and that your own behavior is wrong there's a difference between making a symbolic gesture and attempting to fix what you broke.

Well, SaltyJesus, I am talking about things that are happening now, as opposed to historical reparations. So by my count we're sitting at three broken bones for you to make up for the specific wrongs you have been committing. Furthermore, you need a way to quantify human suffering in order to really do what you're suggesting, SaltyJesus, and that leads to some very evil roads.

SickZip posted:

Did you read his thread on evolution? He's completely genuine and unbelievably stupid and histrionic.

Yeah, I sure am like a woman, and that's a real bad thing.

Office Pig posted:

Seeing how this thread's been made all about you, I think I've done pretty well for myself.

Nice, you see bad behavior, and follow it like a duckling. Heaven forbid you ever see neo-Nazis beating someone on the streets.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 27, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

SickZip posted:

I talk to him frequently in chat, and he's actually funny and very clever. One of my favorite things about him is how utterly convinced the sad weirdos he riles up are that he's some kind of ur-SJW abomination.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Reparations for historical wrongs are the only kinds of reparations worth talking about, and the only ones sane people consider. You're hardly gonna pay reparations if you're still busy loving somebody. Maybe stopping the loving is a more important goal then throwing some pity cash their way, that's called adding insult to injury. As soon as you stop they become historical reparations.

Please find me a single journal article in a serious, peer-reviewed academic journal by an IR or discrimination scholar calling for reparations the same way you do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I talk to him frequently in chat, and he's actually funny and very clever. One of my favorite things about him is how utterly convinced the sad weirdos he riles up are that he's some kind of ur-SJW abomination.

In that case, ban him for shitposting.

Anyway, Effectronica's posting reminds me of high school debate contests where students yell random sentences as fast as possible with no regard for coherence or actually convincing anybody, in hopes the other party will be overwhelmed by the wall of nonsense hitting them, and will be eliminated because of a technical failing.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 27, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, Effectronica's posting reminds me of high school debate contests where students yell random sentences as fast as possible with no regard for coherence or actually convincing anybody, in hopes the other party will be overwhelmed by the wall of nonsense hitting them, and will be eliminated because of a technical failing.

Shouldn't you be getting furiously angry about sitcoms in the LP forum right about now?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

Reparations for historical wrongs are the only kinds of reparations worth talking about, and the only ones sane people consider. You're hardly gonna pay reparations if you're still busy loving somebody. Maybe stopping the loving is a more important goal then throwing some pity cash their way, that's called adding insult to injury. As soon as you stop they become historical reparations.

Please find me a single journal article in a serious, peer-reviewed academic journal by an IR or discrimination scholar calling for reparations the same way you do.

Nice. Appealing to authority in order to get around the problem of quantifying suffering and where that leads. Also, while I agree that shooting racists would be preferable, it does have the problem of having even less public support than this.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't get how it's OK to wish harm on people some times, but others, it's "shitposting" that must be punished greatly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shouldn't you be getting furiously angry about sitcoms in the LP forum right about now?

???

Effectronica posted:

I don't get how it's OK to wish harm on people some times, but others, it's "shitposting" that must be punished greatly.

Only one thing is against the rules.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

???

Only one thing is against the rules.

Actually, there's no forums rule against it specifically, because there doesn't need to be. There is, however, an ethical rule which suggests wanting to inflict harm on someone is bad.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
As for quantification, you have yet to propose how we should determine the amount to be paid by all the people committing thoughtcrime. You have some quantification to do yourself buddy. How should the burden of apology be divided among the nations of Europe? How should the funds be distributed among the victims of their racism? Is it a lump sum or periodic payments and how long do they go for, until racism is completely eliminated? If the latter then that doesn't really sound like the goal is just to get the perpetrator to admit wrongdoing.

I wasn't proposing anything, I was making fun of your untenable idea, but if I were it would be an open ended and ongoing aid program to try and restore the standards of life of the place you hosed up (or equality if the racism was directed at people living within your state) to something that would be deemed just by consensus of the provider and recipient of aid. The quantification like you bray about only comes into play if you believe everybody owes everybody else they have bad thoughts about even if they are / were not in power and did not benefit materially from their prejudice and so clear inequalities arise if you try to treat all prejudice the same.

e: also, please propose a non-comical system of collecting reparations for chauvinistic jokes from one side and genocide from the other without considering the relative gravity of the acts

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 28, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

As for quantification, you have yet to propose how we should determine the amount to be paid by all the people committing thoughtcrime. You have some quantification to do yourself buddy. How should the burden of apology be divided among the nations of Europe? How should the funds be distributed among the victims of their racism? Is it a lump sum or periodic payments and how long do they go for, until racism is completely eliminated? If the latter that doesn't really sound like the goal is just to get the perpetrator to admit wrongdoing.

I wasn't proposing anything, I was making fun of your untenable idea, but if I were it would be an open ended and ongoing aid program to try and restore the standards of life of the place you hosed up (or equality if the racism was directed at people living within your state) to something that would be deemed just by consensus of the provider and recipient of aid. The quantification like you bray about only comes into play if you believe everybody owes everybody else they have bad thoughts about even if they are / were not in power and did not benefit materially from their prejudice and so clear inequalities arise if you try to treat all prejudice the same.

When someone calls racism "thoughtcrime", that's a sure sign they're either actively racist or see no problem with it. You also ignored the part where I actually outlined a rough estimate, and are throwing in some bullshit that's all about inferences you've made about me. So I'll just infer that you're a Nazi child molester, because after all, arguing with what you believe the other person to be is acceptable to you, right?

Your conclusions also produce some interesting quandaries. How do you determine "restoring standards of life" in the case of Chinese-Americans, who have higher standards of living on average than white Americans, but nevertheless have lower standards of living for levels of education and profession? Do you simply conclude that the only part of racism that matters is that it deprives people of money, and if so, how do you value the pain and suffering caused? We're back to quantifying human suffering.

Furthermore, this set of beliefs you have implicitly concludes that racial prejudice has nothing to do with structural racism, which is simply wrong. I mean that it is a matter of historical consensus that the two are related and racial prejudice is used to create structural racism.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
What have I inferred about you? I simply asked you how you propose to implement in reality the reparations you have in mind for the European Union.

Racial prejudice absolutely does help create structural racism, but only the kind practiced by the group in power. If you look at the historical cases of racial prejudice, it has been largely fluid and molded around whatever formed the most convenient narrative for those who would like to preserve the status quo, see the whiting of Italians, Irish, and Polish. The racial prejudice of the abused groups rarely plays into any kind of large scale, systematic inflicting of pain and suffering.

e: let's put it this way, the racial prejudice of Europeans towards the Roma definitely translates into all kinds of discriminatory policies on one hand and turning a blind eye to all kinds of technically illegal abuses on the other, believe me the Roma have some choice words about our police and us who tacitly allow that kind of thing to keep happening but what the gently caress can they do with that? do you believe they're still as liable to pay reparations as we are? (leave aside the "at the level of national governments" thing for now, you said in the ideal hypothetical all this should be addressed)

SaltyJesus posted:

e: also, please propose a non-comical system of collecting reparations for chauvinistic jokes from one side and genocide from the other without considering the relative gravity of the acts

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 28, 2015

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
The point is that a foaming islam-hating and racist guy on the polish countryside owes nothing to a person living in MENA on account of that racism.

Nobody suffers from that racism before they end up in the vincinity of each other.

Mordekai fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 28, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

What have I inferred about you? I simply asked you how you propose to implement in reality the reparations you have in mind for the European Union.

Racial prejudice absolutely does help create structural racism, but only the kind practiced by the group in power. If you look at the historical cases of racial prejudice, it has been largely fluid and molded around whatever formed the most convenient narrative for those who would like to preserve the status quo, see the whiting of Italians, Irish, and Polish. The racial prejudice of the abused groups rarely plays into any kind of large scale, systematic inflicting of pain and suffering.

You're inferring things based on this statement "Is it a lump sum or periodic payments and how long do they go for, until racism is completely eliminated? If the latter that doesn't really sound like the goal is just to get the perpetrator to admit wrongdoing.", unless you're really loving stupid. So are you? Stupid, I mean.

You're basically dodging the questions, especially since I'm actually responding to your post that you're so proud of by talking about quantifying human suffering.

Basically, lay out a system by which you can quantify human suffering such that you can value misogynistic jokes and genocide differently without any of the other things that come into play when you start quantifying suffering.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I'm not inferring anything about you. I'm just saying your proposed system of reparations has no meaningful way of being implemented. Neither method of payment really achieves the stated goals: lump sum can be either an empty gesture if too low or completely unworkable if high enough on both the giving and receiving ends, periodic reparations bound in time or amount by some conditions require some kind of quantification, periodic unbound reparations until we reach a utopia where nobody has racist thoughts seems like a joke.

If we're going with unbound periodic reparations then you're laying the responsibility of even a single citizen having racist thoughts on the government. What is the government supposed to do about it, some people will just be unreasonable despite your best efforts to eliminate racism. If we divide the responsibility across Europe based on their population or per capita GDP or whatever what happens when one country is much more successful at reducing the number of racist citizens in their land? Would it not be more logical to somehow allocate the amount of reparations according to the amount of racism coming from each country, maybe racism-per-capita? How low does the number or racist or the racism per capita ratio need to go before getting rid of the reparations or are we gonna keep trucking on principle with insultingly low payment amounts?

I'm not interested in quantifying anything. I am interested in addressing a committed wrong to the satisfaction of the wronged side. I doubt you'd seriously get a lot of people interested in organizing reparations for misogynisticchauvinistic jokes or even thinking it's worth the time even if they were on the receiving end but you just might for genocide. You are the one asserting they need to be addressed at some level of equality.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

I'm not inferring anything about you. I'm just saying your proposed system of reparations has no meaningful way of being implemented. Neither method of payment really achieves the stated goals: lump sum can be either an empty gesture if too low or completely unworkable if high enough on both the giving and receiving ends, periodic reparations bound in time or amount by some conditions require some kind of quantification, periodic unbound reparations until we reach a utopia where nobody has racist thoughts seems like a joke.

If we're going with unbound periodic reparations then you're laying the responsibility of even a single citizen having racist thoughts on the government. What is the government supposed to do about it, some people will just be unreasonable despite your best efforts to eliminate racism. If we divide the responsibility across Europe based on their population or per capita GDP or whatever what happens when one country is much more successful at reducing the number of racist citizens in their land? Would it not be more logical to somehow allocate the amount of reparations according to the amount of racism coming from each country, maybe racism-per-capita? How low does the number or racist or the racism per capita ratio need to go before getting rid of the reparations or are we gonna keep trucking on principle with insultingly low payment amounts?

I'm not interested in quantifying anything. I am interested in addressing a committed wrong to the satisfaction of the wronged side. I doubt you'd seriously get a lot of people interested in organizing reparations for misogynisticchauvinistic jokes or even thinking it's worth the time even if they were on the receiving end but you just might for genocide. You are the one asserting they need to be addressed at some level of equality.

First of all racism is a historical invention, so, no, racism isn't inevitable.

Second of all, while we intuitively understand that sexist jokes aren't as bad as genocide, when it comes to defining this formally, we end up with some very disturbing conclusions.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Effectronica is what you get when you have someone with no job or any other outlet for their time. There are only so many reasonable posts you can make in a day, if you spend all day posting like he does it's bound to turn to poo poo like it has in this thread.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Effectronica is what you get when you have someone with no job or any other outlet for their time. There are only so many reasonable posts you can make in a day, if you spend all day posting like he does it's bound to turn to poo poo like it has in this thread.

Oh hell yes, Subject One has reappeared. Now we just need Ligur to come back.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I want to make it absolutely clear that I believe reparations are merely a reasonable compromise compared to the violent depopulation of Europe from shooting the racists.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Yes, it is a historical invention which I clearly understand from one of my previous posts. Now that it's out in the wild how possible do you reckon it is to completely root it out within any reasonable time frame? You still have monarchists in countries that haven't had a monarch for a century now. Should countries continue paying the adjusted for inflation original sum of reparations for the full duration of racism's continued existence? Even if they manage to eradicate it in all but a microscopic fraction of their society? Should the amount be adjusted according to the progress made on getting rid of it? How do you propose to quantify this? Do you think if you do reduce the amount to reward progress the reparations will become an insultingly low amount at some point and should we stick to them on principle?

As for the other thing: That's why I would not try to mathematically beep boop it but arrive at some kind of closure/healing that both sides can be satisfied with through negotiation.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

Yes, it is a historical invention which I clearly understand from one of my previous posts. Now that it's out in the wild how possible do you recon it is to completely root it out within any reasonable time frame? You still have monarchists in countries that haven't had a monarch for a century now. Should countries continue paying the adjusted for inflation original sum of reparations for the full duration of racism's continued existence? Even if they manage to eradicate it in all but a microscopic fraction of their society? Should the amount be adjusted according to the progress made on getting rid of it? How do you propose to quantify this? Do you think if you do reduce the amount to reward progress the reparations will become an insultingly low amount at some point and should we stick to them on principle?

As for the other thing: That's why I would not try to mathematically beep boop it but arrive at some kind of closure/healing that both sides can be satisfied with through negotiation.

Lol. So how many followers of Mo Tzu exist in the world today.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
You are the one who is essentially trying to boil everything down to money. Why would a chauvinist joke even need a monetary reparation? Maybe the offended party would be satisfied with getting to poo poo on the offender's lawn, or telling a chauvinist joke back, or the offender having to wear humiliating jorts around town for a day. Why would you insist on monetary reparation which would either be insultingly low if you wanted to equate it to your intuitive feeling of scale or insanely high if you wanted to put it on some kind of par with genocide.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Effectronica posted:

Lol. So how many followers of Mo Tzu exist in the world today.

Ah, I see. You've got nothing to say so you're gonna resort to cheap dodging of the question. You still have Russian royalists for one.

e: and I bet if you trawl the Chinese comments sections enough you'll find some netizens pining for the good old Qing, if the CPC weren't so repressive I'm sure they'd be out in the open too

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 28, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SaltyJesus posted:

You are the one who is essentially trying to boil everything down to money. Why would a chauvinist joke even need a monetary reparation? Maybe the offended party would be satisfied with getting to poo poo on the offender's lawn, or telling a chauvinist joke back, or the offender having to wear humiliating jorts around town for a day. Why would you insist on monetary reparation which would either be insultingly low if you wanted to equate it to your intuitive feeling of scale or insanely high if you wanted to put it on some kind of par with genocide.

Effectronica posted:

I want to make it absolutely clear that I believe reparations are merely a reasonable compromise compared to the violent depopulation of Europe from shooting the racists.

SaltyJesus posted:

Ah, I see. You've got nothing to say so you're gonna resort to cheap dodging of the question. You still have Russian royalists for one.

e: and I bet if you trawl the Chinese comments sections enough you'll find some netizens pining for the good old Qing, if the CPC weren't so repressive I'm sure they'd be out in the open too

Please don't front, and have the basic goddamn, motherfucking decency to wikipedia someone before you start farting about them, you rear end. When you do so, please continue.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I know who Mozi is, it was a relevant example and you totally didn't bring up a philosopher from two and a half thousand years ago whose ideas were never the organizing principle of entire societies for centuries unlike racism and monarchism as a pissant non sequitur. The example you want to make is if somehow China managed to eradicate all Confucian thinking and that seems to be alive and well.

As for shooting all racists, not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I think you would be surprised when you ended up depopulating proportionally more of Asia than Europe and generally depopulating huge swathes of the people Europeans are racist towards, including the refugees. But, please, keep on flailing, come up with some new material instead of quoting yourself tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

are you seriously arguing with a guy who wants to introduce a tax on racist thoughts? what do you hope to get out of this argument? come on, this thread used to be bad-fun, now it has become sad-boring. just ignore him

• Locked thread