Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

It is very likely that the ranking system works on a per round basis, but it's too difficult to say whether individual performance is relevant. I feel like it isn't.

You can generally mark a trend that you'll rank up in fewer games if you string together wins with big round differences. It's also a clue that the surrender system saves your exact scoreline. You can surrender while ahead in rounds and it counts as a win. It would also explain why you can't vote to surrender without a teammate abandoning, and a kicked teammate doesn't count, because it opens the door to abuse. You could just surrender every game where you get a few rounds lead and boost yourself like that relatively easily. Getting 12-3 as CT nuke and then surrendering etc.

There is absolutely no evidence that surrendering while ahead logs the match as a win, apart from what is most likely a bugged UI component on the 'Your Matches' page which compares your scoreline directly. Unless of course anyone here has a screenshot of them ranking up upon surrendering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Well I wouldn't put a badly coded match UI beyond Valve's powers, so it's possible. I still think logically it makes sense though that surrendering while ahead gives points, because imo the system makes no distinction between wins and losses, only rounds. That's why you can rank up on a loss. If it was a simple win/loss/draw mechanic, it shouldn't be possible to rank up from a loss.

I'd be pretty interested to see what happens from a 5 man stack with one player abandoning, and they surrender with a big advantage every game. I can't see any screenshots of ranking up from an advantageous surrender, but tbh the odds are stacked against there being many out there. 1) Very few people surrender, especially when ahead 2) Likely that your round discrepancy is very small, so pretty unlikely to be ranking up from it anyway.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Faffel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtCVpgfZhY

Don't mind me, just getting ready to go pro

I love the fact that you shot Chris Kyle in the head and he's on the Terrorist team.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
znf is a really good player if anyone follows esea premier at all hes also a cool guy we talk sometimes :cool:

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 28, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Willpower overcomes all ranks and odds.

Basically I am the Green Lantern of cs

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Just don't get matched up against any Gold Novas and you're good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
nothing particularly stellar but its the match where i headshot a guy with the desert eagle and he accused me of cheating the whole way through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqd0ZGCdcv4

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
my favourite part is where i whiff 5 shots before finally hitting and despite that he remains convinced

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Sometimes the way the matchmaking system sets you up against other ranks is weird. Yesterday (I think) we were a stack of 3 supremes, a LEM and a LE playing at primetime and got matched up against four poor LE's on DD2. They kicked their fifth so who knows what rank he was, but the results weren't pretty and I feel they were pretty rightly miffed post match.

Also had a sweet comeback win where we kicked our toxic russian fifth when the enemy were on 14 points and then proceeded to win every following round. It probably helps that I ended up nearly dropping a 40 bomb, I guess~
The fucker started off being AFK the entire pistol round and then starts continuously flaming our LE for being bad into like the third. Pretty cool self-awareness

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 28, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Sometimes the way the matchmaking system sets you up against other ranks is weird. Yesterday (I think) we were a stack of 3 supremes, a LEM and a LE playing at primetime and got matched up against four poor LE's on DD2. They kicked their fifth so who knows what rank he was, but the results weren't pretty and I feel they were pretty rightly miffed post match.

I feel like five man MM games are rarely very close

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

there's nobody in the steam group chat listed in the OP. Anyone could toss me an invite, or should I just try again later?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LNM80

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LochNessMonster posted:

there's nobody in the steam group chat listed in the OP. Anyone could toss me an invite, or should I just try again later?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LNM80
Yeah, the group chat's been dead for months now. Quite a shame, used to be very fun.

Invite sent.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

symbolic posted:

Yeah, the group chat's been dead for months now. Quite a shame, used to be very fun.

Invite sent.

that was quick. Thanks!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ArfJason posted:

nothing particularly stellar but its the match where i headshot a guy with the desert eagle and he accused me of cheating the whole way through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqd0ZGCdcv4

nice

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

ArfJason posted:

my favourite part is where i whiff 5 shots before finally hitting and despite that he remains convinced

loving togglers are the worst, it's always between the 4th and 9th shot they get ya.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Vexxed is pretty incredible sometimes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jeza posted:

It is very likely that the ranking system works on a per round basis, but it's too difficult to say whether individual performance is relevant. I feel like it isn't.

You can generally mark a trend that you'll rank up in fewer games if you string together wins with big round differences. It's also a clue that the surrender system saves your exact scoreline. You can surrender while ahead in rounds and it counts as a win. It would also explain why you can't vote to surrender without a teammate abandoning, and a kicked teammate doesn't count, because it opens the door to abuse. You could just surrender every game where you get a few rounds lead and boost yourself like that relatively easily. Getting 12-3 as CT nuke and then surrendering etc.

It's likely that individual performance (round based or total game based) is taken into account which is why you can rank up/down on either a win, loss or tie.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Are there any goons around that still make maps? I haven't played with hammer in like a decade, suddenly got the bug again. Here's some garbage I'll probably throw away

Edit: I figured out how to put it on the workshop

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 28, 2015

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Turk February posted:

I love the fact that you shot Chris Kyle in the head and he's on the Terrorist team.

same.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Are there any goons around that still make maps? I haven't played with hammer in like a decade, suddenly got the bug again. Here's some garbage I'll probably throw away

Edit: I figured out how to put it on the workshop
STOP!

Just remake(GOOD) russka and other old maps, please.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

STOP!

Just remake(GOOD) russka and other old maps, please.

Add me on steam and steam message me a link to the map you want me to remake. Bonus points if you give me a big list of things I should fix in the remake, especially if you include (preferably) pictures or videos.

I've been kind of floundering because I haven't had any direction. This will give me something to work towards. Can probably have something playable for us by Friday!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Add me on steam and steam message me a link to the map you want me to remake. Bonus points if you give me a big list of things I should fix in the remake, especially if you include (preferably) pictures or videos.

I've been kind of floundering because I haven't had any direction. This will give me something to work towards. Can probably have something playable for us by Friday!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229223358

make this more better.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Is there any way we could play this on goonmans (or the 4paul server) so that I can zero in on the one true #blessed meaning of "more better"?

I will be free tonight

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Yes.

We really should edit the current map list regardless.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Is there any way we could play this on goonmans (or the 4paul server) so that I can zero in on the one true #blessed meaning of "more better"?

I will be free tonight

More better? Son, playing CS only makes you more bitter.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mcvey posted:

Yes.

We really should edit the current map list regardless.

Saying this for years. Won't happen.

I'm all for fresh maps too, I love playing new maps.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Lol RIP whoever decided to bet on this match. Just GuardiaN randomly standing in and dropping 38 frags two maps in a row.

http://www.hltv.org/match/2298106-fraternitas-ldlc-white-99damage-masters-3

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Well I managed to decompile the workshop version so that I can open it in hammer! I've never remade someone else's map before…

I guess the first thing I'll do is delete all the props and poo poo so that I can see the geometry better, then I'll make an empty cleanskin version!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Does anyone else miss how the player model used to twirl the Berettas as you drew them, and also reloaded them?

EDIT: poo poo, I guess they haven't done that since 1.6

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 29, 2015

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Smol posted:

Lol RIP whoever decided to bet on this match. Just GuardiaN randomly standing in and dropping 38 frags two maps in a row.

http://www.hltv.org/match/2298106-fraternitas-ldlc-white-99damage-masters-3

the best part is hltv voted oskar (the guy guardian stood in for) as mvp

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I've un-garbaged* most of de_russka! Going to take a break and shoot some mans. Later on tonight I'll try and make a really generic version so that we can evaluate the basic layout and see if there's anything really obviously outdated/broken.

*it's not actually garbage, just a lot of skyboxes and lights and props and hints. Boilerplate IMO

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

harrygomm posted:

the best part is hltv voted oskar (the guy guardian stood in for) as mvp

Giving up his spot obviously was what won them the match :roflolmao:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I've seen oskar play on FPL and he looks amazing, but obviously guardian carried pretty loving hard.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I hate getting kicked from comp games because of the VAC interference or whatever. The only thing that fixes it is restarting my computer and there is no way in hell I can do that and restart steam in 3 minutes.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Pookum posted:

I hate getting kicked from comp games because of the VAC interference or whatever. The only thing that fixes it is restarting my computer and there is no way in hell I can do that and restart steam in 3 minutes.

You ever think about getting a better computer bud?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I will buy a used one soon but I doubt it will have a SSD or whatrver makes windows boot really fast. Plus music just has a fuller sound when played from a old school hard drive

stump collector
May 28, 2007
SSDs are only 100 bucks or so and give you a pretty sick performance boost so i'd go for that before buying a used computer without one.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I'm playing on a laptop :psyduck:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Pookum posted:

What the FRICK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Pookum posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148945&cm_re=crucial_ssd-_-20-148-945-_-Product

Comes with a free version of Acronis backup. I just did a HD swap on my work laptop. You can clone your current hard drive to a brand spanking new SSD and put it right back into your laptop. All you need is a desktop or a friend with a desktop.

All SSDs are sized to fit in laptops and most laptops have a drive bay with one screw that you can slide right out and very easily put in a new HD

• Locked thread