Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rip Metlar, little betta guy.

He didnt even struggle at the end, dropsy took it all out of him and he was all pineconed and lying on the bottom of the tank. Sharp scissors through the head and that was that. :smith:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Rip Metlar, little betta guy.

He didnt even struggle at the end, dropsy took it all out of him and he was all pineconed and lying on the bottom of the tank. Sharp scissors through the head and that was that. :smith:

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm nursing a bloated, tail standing lemon tetra who just won't get better. It's been two weeks and he's still fighting strong. I haven't tried meds, just an 80 degree hospital tank with tons of aeration and trying to feed boiled peas. I don't know what else to try.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Recommendations for anyone going for the quick snip with the scissors as an euth method: Make a few cuts to completely destroy the brain quickly, or you get to see the head flap its gills a little. :smith:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Recommendations for anyone going for the quick snip with the scissors as an euth method: Make a few cuts to completely destroy the brain quickly, or you get to see the head flap its gills a little. :smith:

Thanks for reminding me how awful this horrible hobby is.

God I'm going to have to cull babies, aren't I.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
Anyone able to ID this thing? I have no idea when I added it or what it is. My exgirlfriend from way back when may have put it in. I noticed a chunk out of a nerite's shell today and think this may be the culprit.

Only other things in this 55 are two neons, one female clown plecostomus that never comes out, and a single emerald cory that needs some buddies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dojo loach? How big is that?

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Dojo loach? How big is that?

Yeah was just coming to post that. Looks like a dojo. It's about 4" long. Guess that is going to my lfs.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I have no idea how, since I'm pretty sure they aren't hermaphrodites, but my single electric blue crayfish is apparently female and has a rather large quantity of eggs. I think they can store sperm from previous mating or some kind of weird thing like that, I really don't know anything about crayfish reproduction. Congratulations crayfish!

Also I managed to photograph the elusive MultiSnail, as well as the even rarer MultiSnail With Shrimp:

republicant fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 28, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Albino bristlenose Pleco in, and apparently super jazzed about all the algae in my tank. It hasn't stopped eating (or pooping) since I got it home. (guest appearance by molly and ghost shrimp)

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

Albino bristlenose Pleco in, and apparently super jazzed about all the algae in my tank. It hasn't stopped eating (or pooping) since I got it home. (guest appearance by molly and ghost shrimp)

You may already know this, but make sure you get a piece of natural driftwood in your tank. Bristlenose plecos need it for digestion and it tends to be one of their favorite spots to hang out on.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

republicant posted:

You may already know this, but make sure you get a piece of natural driftwood in your tank. Bristlenose plecos need it for digestion and it tends to be one of their favorite spots to hang out on.

I got that in shortly after I got the tank in preparation for one, but thank you for ensuring that I did! I think he's not hanging out on it mostly because relative to the rest of the tank there's not nearly as much algae on it.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

republicant posted:

I have no idea how, since I'm pretty sure they aren't hermaphrodites, but my single electric blue crayfish is apparently female and has a rather large quantity of eggs. I think they can store sperm from previous mating or some kind of weird thing like that, I really don't know anything about crayfish reproduction. Congratulations crayfish!

Is that the same thing as a marbled crayfish/marmorkrebs? Because those are all female, all self-cloning and rock out something like 1000 eggs at a time.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Kimberly Clark posted:

I'm nursing a bloated, tail standing lemon tetra who just won't get better. It's been two weeks and he's still fighting strong. I haven't tried meds, just an 80 degree hospital tank with tons of aeration and trying to feed boiled peas. I don't know what else to try.

My sick beacon tetra started out tail standing and now just lies on the bottom. When disturbed she can still swim just fine but struggles to maintain buoyancy so I think it's a swim bladder problem. She hasn't eaten for at least a week and is starting to show wasting but she isn't interested in food at all. In both our cases I feel that if there was an underlying bacterial infection that was still active it should have killed the fish by now. I found an article on a discus website that suggests carefully raising and lowering the water level to help "exercise" the swim bladder and get it working again, but also suggests that any damage to the swim bladder that doesn't resolve within five days can become permanent. I don't know that you can directly transfer knowledge from discus to tetra but I am going to try it anyway, if there is a chance it might still resolve its better than nothing. At least with yours still tail standing there is some buoyancy but my poor beacon lays on her side and seems to have nothing left in hers. I've got the dividers from the breeder box propped in the hospital tank at an angle so she can lean against those and not have her side rubbing flat on the bottom but I'm a bit worried that it is too late for her now even though she isn't really getting sicker, just skinnier.

SynthOrange I think you did the right thing for your little guy and ended his suffering the best way you had available. When the time comes I'm going to have to get clove oil, there is still too much fight in this sinking fish. I can barely net her let alone line up a pair of scissors, actually I don't even know where to aim. But if water level therapy doesn't help unclog her swim bladder I can't just let her starve to death on her side in the bottom of the tank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My betta wasnt struggling at all, just breathing heavily. I placed him in a tiny tub with some tankwater so he wouldnt thrash around being out of water which allowed me to get the scissors into place. First cut took his head off, and I hope the gill movement immediately after was just a nerve reflex. In any case after that I cut it in half again. Blegh. At least it was quick. :(

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

:sympathy:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

:(

Newbie issue: in my tank I have 2 Bolivian Rams that seem to be kinda dreary. They mostly hang out, alone and not with each other, at the bottom of the tank and don't move much at all. They LOOK fine, but aren't active. When I feed they don't seem to really go after anything, either. I've seen them chase after a tiger barb that got too in their face now and then, but this isn't frequent.

Temps are around 78F, filtration is awesome, the water is clear. I'm feeding a tiny amount early in the AM now that there are only 7 fish in there now (5 barbs 2 rams).

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I got my hardness test kit today, my main/big tank has GH 8 and KH 5 which is pretty good, everything in the tank should be fine with that hardness. I'm guessing that's due to the carbonate sand dissolving gradually into the water and keeping it buffered. The secondary tank's hardness is GH 5 and KH 2.5, so really not great for the guppies in there, explains why a few of the snails look seedy too. The tetras and future cories would be fine though. Someone local has a tank and stand for sale, 15 gallons for AUD$50 and I'm seriously considering grabbing it for a guppy tank, he mentioned a second larger tank that he wants to get rid of too. I'm a little hesitant both since I haven't got anywhere really to put more tanks, AND I do not trust my very badly behaved cat to not jump up and knock the stand/tank over. I had the hood up today so I could poke the new Purigen sachets into the filter of the main tank, and the little bastard comes screaming around the corner at top speed, jumps up on the counter (which he knows he's not allowed on), does an immediate second jump (doesn't count as being ON the counter if you jump straight away, right?) - on to the top of the tank, only there is *no lid* so at the top edge he converts the jump to a doublejump and launches himself off the very top of the opened hood, which of course came smashing down. Lucky it's light cheap plastic and not heavy enough to do any damage to anything. It was only a couple of weeks ago I had the lid up and he did the same, only actually went in the tank before somehow levitating out again cat-style with only the tips of his toes wet. Anyway I can imagine him getting on top of a tank and stand, launching off and making it overbalance.
Here's the tank, the guy says he's cleaned it since he took that pic:

The base being skinnier than the top is what makes me worry a bit that it could be unstable.

My shrimp tanks are both GH 4, one is KH 4 the other KH 3, and I'm not sure if that's too soft for shrimp or if that's okay. I've got Equilibrium/Alkalinity now so I'll be able to be a bit more scientific about what's going in and out of the tank.

ShaneB maybe your water is too hard for your rams? I also read that they like being able to sift through sandy substrate and they can't really do that with the gravel in your tank. It's the same gravel as CoolWhoAmI's tank, I got a bit confused when I saw that pic!

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 28, 2015

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Stoca Zola posted:

ShaneB maybe your water is too hard for your rams? I also read that they like being able to sift through sandy substrate and they can't really do that with the gravel in your tank. It's the same gravel as CoolWhoAmI's tank, I got a bit confused when I saw that pic!

Yeah, I'm testing everything with my full test kit tonight. I'm also looking forward to replacing the subtrate with a much finer gravel of a more natural color.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If you've moved ornaments around, or taken some of them out, it could be that they don't feel like they have somewhere nice to shelter any more too. They might feel better with more structure around so maybe a bit of driftwood or something might cheer them up?

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

My betta wasnt struggling at all, just breathing heavily. I placed him in a tiny tub with some tankwater so he wouldnt thrash around being out of water which allowed me to get the scissors into place. First cut took his head off, and I hope the gill movement immediately after was just a nerve reflex. In any case after that I cut it in half again. Blegh. At least it was quick. :(

I'm sorry you had to put him down, but I think you did the right thing. I've had fish get to that point with no hope of recovery and always regretted not sparing them more suffering later.

It might have been violent for you, but if it makes you feel better, the gill movement was involuntary from the sound of it. I learned how to gut and clean fish when I was a kid, and even with the heads quickly and completely severed the bodies would often still move for a few seconds or more. Disturbing as hell, but they were definitely not alive when it happened.

Also, thanks to whoever mentioned Purigen earlier. I got some for my tank to try it out since no matter how many water changes I do, the water's always a bit yellow. That cleared it right up, and the fish seem a little more active today on top of that, so I'm pleased with it already.

Edit: Stoca Zola, I finally got my test kit in and will be doing the same tests you just did in my own tanks and with my tap water tonight, but I'm still not completely sure what's ideal for shrimp or how I should fix it if something's wrong. Guess I'll see where my water's at and then go from there.

Not Your Senorita fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 28, 2015

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Update on my goldfish:

I've tested every conceivable thing and found that pH, nitrates, ammonia, etc are all perfect. Water is a little soft, but taking the coral out should level that somewhat. I'm gonna re-test that one in a few days.

He's still eating very happily, and swims around from time to time, but just seems to chill by the filter most of the day.

Fins aren't clamped, eyes are clear, and breathing isn't laboured. When he swims, he swims straight and without struggle.

I don't loving understand. :psyduck:

I am completely at a loss as to what it could be. The only symptom is the sitting. Should I keep up with boiled peas in the event that it may be constipation? Or should I switch out to something else?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I see this stand for sale on CL. It's at a really good price. My tank is 48 wide but only 18 deep, would this be a problem as the stand is 6 inches deeper than my tank? (would mean room to upgrade in the future).

Anything else look obviously wrong on this? Considering snagging it.

Link to tank

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The online store I got my last fish from got some panda cories in today! I've ordered 8 to make sure there is a good big school of mixed genders plus a couple of extra hockey stick tetras since that school wasn't quite big enough. They've proven themselves to be gentle with smaller fish and have completely failed to eat any guppy fry so I think they will be fine as tank mates for the cories.

I've started trying the water level treatment on the beacon tetra today too, so far she is noticeably more active and seems to be doing laps of the tank, along the bottom for one stretch, and at the top of the water level on the way back. Time will tell if she's actually getting better or just appreciates being in some freshly changed water.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rallos posted:

So I see this stand for sale on CL. It's at a really good price. My tank is 48 wide but only 18 deep, would this be a problem as the stand is 6 inches deeper than my tank? (would mean room to upgrade in the future).

Anything else look obviously wrong on this? Considering snagging it.

Link to tank

I wouldn't get that stand, the entire width would be unsupported.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

I wouldn't get that stand, the entire width would be unsupported.

So the tank sits on the little edges on each side? I thought that it would sit between them on the top of the stand on the board. I could be wrong.

-e- Found this one also. Looks kinda janky but I can't build something that nice looking for the price. Would probably repaint it black.

-e2- Asked the seller and replied saying the tank sits in the recessed area and the bottom is fully supported. Thoughts?

Rallos fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 28, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rallos posted:

So the tank sits on the little edges on each side? I thought that it would sit between them on the top of the stand on the board. I could be wrong.

-e- Found this one also. Looks kinda janky but I can't build something that nice looking for the price. Would probably repaint it black.

-e2- Asked the seller and replied saying the tank sits in the recessed area and the bottom is fully supported. Thoughts?

Right, but it was designed for a tank 6" deeper than what you have. You need to have support going all the way down to the ground on each side. Either the front or back of your tank would be unsupported along that entire width, which is something that stand isn't designed to handle. I'm not saying it would definitely fail, but it's not something I would feel comfortable putting in my house. The second stand you linked isn't as pretty, but is much better suited to what you need.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Enos Cabell posted:

Right, but it was designed for a tank 6" deeper than what you have. You need to have support going all the way down to the ground on each side. Either the front or back of your tank would be unsupported along that entire width, which is something that stand isn't designed to handle. I'm not saying it would definitely fail, but it's not something I would feel comfortable putting in my house. The second stand you linked isn't as pretty, but is much better suited to what you need.

Oh. I didn't think about that. Thanks for the info :) The second one is pretty far, so I might end up just building one out of 2x4s, a sheet of plywood, and some paint.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I built a RocketEngineer stand for a 75 gallon reef a couple years ago and it is way overbuilt, could probably support a car and weighs as much too. Don't use treated wood of any kind, try to go to an actual lumber yard and get decent kiln-dried wood... but I did none of that and used 2x4's and plywood from HomeDepot. Went with a full piece of 3/4" plywood on the back and just some 1/4" on the sides & front to hide the assembly. Pick up four pre-made cabinet doors from wherever and you are good to go. Absolutely no problems for 2 years while it was an aquarium stand and no problems in the 4 years since it became a workbench in the garage.

Lots of custom stands I have seen locally are built with 3/4" plywood and maybe some 1x2's and they are just as solid. Seen many 240 gallon reefs built on them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just did my first water test of the water in my aquarium. I'm not really sure what these results mean, and honestly am a bit confused why I'd have no nitrites but high nitrates:

ph: 6.4
Ammonia: Maybe .1-.15? It didn't seem perfectly yellow but not very green at all.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Very dark! Like, it seemed on the very high end of the chart (160ppm).

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

ShaneB posted:

Just did my first water test of the water in my aquarium. I'm not really sure what these results mean, and honestly am a bit confused why I'd have no nitrites but high nitrates:

Ammonia: Maybe .1-.15? It didn't seem perfectly yellow but not very green at all.

Those are very high. Need to do water changes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Check your ammonia levels by doing a sample against plain water so you've an idea of what neutral should look like. 0 nitrite is fine, it means it's all being converted to your nitrates, which are kept in check with plants and partial water changes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rallos posted:

Those are very high. Need to do water changes.

Yeah... I don't think a decent water change has happened for months. I'm on it.

Tap water:
PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0

Edit: whoo-whee. Carrying 6 gallon buckets of water to and from an aquarium isn't fun.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 29, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ShaneB posted:

Yeah... I don't think a decent water change has happened for months. I'm on it.

Tap water:
PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0

Edit: whoo-whee. Carrying 6 gallon buckets of water to and from an aquarium isn't fun.

http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

Just keep spending money. Surely eventually you will run out of things to buy, right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hi, I have a pretty stable 20 long going and am interested in going up a size. I'm looking for something that has similar proportions and research has suggested that a 30 gallon breeder is what I'm looking for -- possibly a 40 long.

Are these common sizes?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Slugworth posted:

http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC

Just keep spending money. Surely eventually you will run out of things to buy, right?

This seems like what I should have got in the first place.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can confirm that python is an amazing thing for water changes.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

This seems like what I should have got in the first place.

It's the only reason I'm still in the hobby.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I have the python knockoff (Lee's, different colors but appears to be exactly the same product) and I have never gotten great suction for gravel vacc'ing with it. Good pressure at my faucet, but I can't ever get the connections water tight, so I can suction water out slowly, but fish poo just falls back down. What does work well though is filling the line with water, then disconnecting from the faucet and throwing the end of the hose out the front door and down the stairs. It's a little less convenient, but at the same time, I run less water that way I suppose.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Slugworth posted:

I have the python knockoff (Lee's, different colors but appears to be exactly the same product) and I have never gotten great suction for gravel vacc'ing with it. Good pressure at my faucet, but I can't ever get the connections water tight, so I can suction water out slowly, but fish poo just falls back down. What does work well though is filling the line with water, then disconnecting from the faucet and throwing the end of the hose out the front door and down the stairs. It's a little less convenient, but at the same time, I run less water that way I suppose.

There are some decent DIY options for the part that connects to the faucet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

ShaneB posted:

The way I understand it, any ammonia at all will hurt fish within hours, nitrite will hurt fish within days, and nitrate over 40ppm will hurt them too eventually within weeks, although some fish need under 20ppm. The nitrogen cycle should be converting that ammonia to nitrite then nitrate, and if you're seeing any ammonia at all it means the filtration isn't keeping up. You could have something dead and rotting somewhere or it could just be residual waste from those big koi. Often the water conditioner for removing chlorine also converts ammonia so in an emergency you could try adding more water conditioner and then doing the water change when you have time. If there is something stuck rotting for example inside that plant, every time you add water conditioner it would be generating more nitrates so it could be why your levels are so high.

I think it's definitely worth a bit of a search to see if you have a dead snail or something as your nitrogen source.