Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh Kickstarter miniatures games, will you ever stop being hilarious

I'm actually surprised that people are disappointed in the miniatures instead of doing their typical Stockholm Syndrome "omg this looks great" response. Although I thought that most miniature-based projects tend to have pretty alright miniatures, even if the game is pretty highly suspect? Mostly because I would imagine most projects realize that the miniatures are the game for most people, so skimping on those means you might as well not have a project at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Played TTR: Nordic for the first time in a while with a few players who were pretty slow, still didn't take that long and was pretty good as far as TTR goes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Amen, Brother Rutibex. The normie brain is like a lock, for which there is no skeleton key. Once they have seen the light, they might warm up to the "good" games or Cosmic, and take a moment's pause from the endless cycle of checking facebook, tweeting, and breeding. Until then, all bets are off

It's baby steps, before I got here they where playing President/rear end in a top hat and balked at even playing Rummy or Poker. I doubt I will ever get them to play Agricola, but maybe I could weasel Cosmic Encounter in there, or maybe Coup or The Resistance in time.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm actually surprised that people are disappointed in the miniatures instead of doing their typical Stockholm Syndrome "omg this looks great" response. Although I thought that most miniature-based projects tend to have pretty alright miniatures, even if the game is pretty highly suspect? Mostly because I would imagine most projects realize that the miniatures are the game for most people, so skimping on those means you might as well not have a project at all.

Yep I went to the KickStarter comments expecting people to be saying their usual "well you can't always get what you want they obviously tried hard and I think they look fine stop complaining" but most people seem surprisingly disappointed.

As they should be. I don't think I've ever seen worse plastic blobs before.

edit: 80 + 44 HIGHLY-DETAILED MINIATURES

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 28, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Has anyone actually played/seen Kingdom Death played? The concept sounds interesting - build a settlement over time, protect it, make choices about how it develops as the game progresses.

Then you see the miniatures and the artwork :stare:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MikeCrotch posted:

Has anyone actually played/seen Kingdom Death played? The concept sounds interesting - build a settlement over time, protect it, make choices about how it develops as the game progresses.

Then you see the miniatures and the artwork :stare:

Some people on Reddit talked about how bad the game actually is and said it completely lacks any player choice and comes down to RNG. Sounds fantastic...

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Kingdom Death backers paid $400 and waited multiple years for it, you're not going to get an unbiased review out of any of them for a long time.

A buddy of mine played it recently. I asked him to post a review of it in our board game group. He wrote a few paragraphs about how his character lady tore the testicles off of a lion (apparently as determined by an entry in a table), had a dream about perpetual farting (another specific entry on another table), and some other garbage. Didn't have a word to say about how the game is actually played, but it's his new favorite best game ever now.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Holy poo poo that Concordia expansion box :stare:

I was thinking about back Project Elite at one point because it sounded like a fun real-time dice chucker and we love Escape, really glad I didn't after seeing those... plastic blobs. I would be pretty upset if that's the quality of them after forking out like a hundred bux or whatever it was.

Medium Style posted:

Didn't have a word to say about how the game is actually played, but it's his new favorite best game ever now.

Ironically?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Medium Style posted:

had a dream about perpetual farting

Medium Style posted:

it's his new favorite best game ever now.

Perfect summary of kickstarter projects.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kingdom Death really interested me because of the theme (the bleak, monster-filled world and your tribe's attempt to survive against nightmarish beasts) and the gameplay pitch that was essentially Monster Hunter: The Board Game Roguelike. If it wasn't the ridiculous price it was, I might have backed it.

It's looking that perhaps I got lucky in this regard.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Friend of mine played Kingdom Death Monster about 1 year ago when they brought a pre-production copy to our FLGS and demoed it for a few hours, minis were pretty sweet but the conclusion was that gameplay was a festering cesspit from which none could escape.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

EBag posted:

Ironically?

Nope. The game's owner and his buddy both think it's amazing.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
What sucks is that Monster Hunter the boardgame is a great concept, but Kingdom Death is ultimately a drawn out game of Talisman or Arkham Horror. It's pretty much the ULTIMATE rando-story generator and will therefore appeal to a very broad crowd.

However, there are some really good ideas here that could benefit future designs.The equipment grid is really cool and the monsters' AI deck doubling as it's hit points is rather elegant.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I just got Race for the Galaxy in the mail (gee thanks Amazon, where is my Dominion? :argh:). It was a toss up between that and Star Realms, I wanted some kind of cheap single decked space game. So now that I have it and have yet to even play it, I must ask, what are the best expansions? Are there any that are not worth getting? There only seems to be a few and they are pretty cheap.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rutibex posted:

So I just got Race for the Galaxy in the mail (gee thanks Amazon, where is my Dominion? :argh:). It was a toss up between than and Star Realms, I wanted some kind of cheap single decked space game. So now that I have it and have yet to even play it, I must ask, what are the best expansions? Are there any that are not worth getting? There only seems to be a few and they are pretty cheap.

Get the computer version and try them. It's free, and you can get a feel for how they play and what they add.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Rutibex posted:

So I just got Race for the Galaxy in the mail (gee thanks Amazon, where is my Dominion? :argh:). It was a toss up between than and Star Realms, I wanted some kind of cheap single decked space game. So now that I have it and have yet to even play it, I must ask, what are the best expansions? Are there any that are not worth getting? There only seems to be a few and they are pretty cheap.

Alien Artifacts is the best expansion by a mile unless people can't figure out how the player interaction works in which case The Gathering Storm is a good hit over the head.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Alien Artifacts adds a ton of new cards, Gathering Storm adds some cards and rounds out military and gene stuff plus it has goals which are a fun additional thing to compete for. Both are good, can't go wrong with either. Haven't played the others but there's more than enough content between those two that you don't need more really.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

TGS also adds a solo game. I would normally play the PC version but I know Rutibex enjoys himself a solo game with some cardboard so that might be something worth considering. I have no experience with the solo mode in TGS, myself

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dirk the Average posted:

Get the computer version and try them. It's free, and you can get a feel for how they play and what they add.

It's here http://keldon.net/rftg/ for the record.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
My nephew is turning 9 and is a big war history buff. What would be the best game to get him?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Is Memoir '44 too light/abstract? Might be up his alley.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Aghama posted:

My nephew is turning 9 and is a big war history buff. What would be the best game to get him?

Serious question: are any of the updated versions of Axis & Allies good? That's what got me into board games when I was his age. Lots of little planes and tanks and ships to move around and the rules are actually pretty simple.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CaptainRightful posted:

Serious question: are any of the updated versions of Axis & Allies good? That's what got me into board games when I was his age. Lots of little planes and tanks and ships to move around and the rules are actually pretty simple.

IMHO there's way too much X to hit buckets of dice for me to really like. Memoir 44 is pretty decent though. (I do have a soft spot for A&A Bastogne which had some neat rules for supplies as a physical unit that were driven around and could be captured or destroyed.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EBag posted:

Alien Artifacts adds a ton of new cards, Gathering Storm adds some cards and rounds out military and gene stuff plus it has goals which are a fun additional thing to compete for. Both are good, can't go wrong with either. Haven't played the others but there's more than enough content between those two that you don't need more really.

I think technically the two expansions aren't supposed to be compatible with each other. The Gathering Storm is the first of the first "trilogy" of expansions, while Alien Artifacts starts a second trilogy. Both are good, while IIRC the other two expansions aren't that great.

Has anyone combined Gathering Storm/Alien Artifacts and know how balanced they are? I'd do it myself but it's probably unlikely I'll ever get Race on the table, especially since most people in my group prefer Roll now.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I think technically the two expansions aren't supposed to be compatible with each other. The Gathering Storm is the first of the first "trilogy" of expansions, while Alien Artifacts starts a second trilogy. Both are good, while IIRC the other two expansions aren't that great.

Has anyone combined Gathering Storm/Alien Artifacts and know how balanced they are? I'd do it myself but it's probably unlikely I'll ever get Race on the table, especially since most people in my group prefer Roll now.

Goals work okay, best case. Cards work about as well as you'd expect (they work, but the numbers don't work nicely).

Leaving out TGS cards also removes Improved Logistics which is a step in the right direction balance-wise.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

CaptainRightful posted:

Quartermaster General?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Aghama posted:

Any specific period of war?

Ancient
Dark Age
WWI
WWII

Something else?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Right yah, they're different arcs. I haven't played with them together, not sure if that would be a problem or not. I don't really see why it would but I don't play enough to know if there's some game breaking reason.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Quick question on Viticulture with Tuscany. How do you determine wake up order with the extended board?

As an example, let's say that it is year 2 and I pass first in winter. I chose space 3, another player chose space 4, and the last player chose space 6 at the start of year 2. When choosing my wake up order, can I choose any space or do I have to choose an unoccupied space (so 2, 5, or 7)?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Is Crude: The Oil Game (McMulti) any good? It's on sale for pretty cheap at CSI.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

EBag posted:

Right yah, they're different arcs. I haven't played with them together, not sure if that would be a problem or not. I don't really see why it would but I don't play enough to know if there's some game breaking reason.

The 6-devs don't really play nicely together, and TGS took a fairly fast-and-loose approach to balance (Alien Toy Shop and Improved Logistics are pretty unhealthy balance-wise) that AA cleans up a lot. Goals transfer decently, but the 6-dev spread ends up being pretty awkward. Having both Imperium Supply Convoy and Improved Logistics kinda breaks things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Quick question on Viticulture with Tuscany. How do you determine wake up order with the extended board?

As an example, let's say that it is year 2 and I pass first in winter. I chose space 3, another player chose space 4, and the last player chose space 6 at the start of year 2. When choosing my wake up order, can I choose any space or do I have to choose an unoccupied space (so 2, 5, or 7)?

I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking here - you choose wake up order when you pass, you don't choose it again after that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Dirk the Average posted:

At the end of the year, as you pass or run out of workers to place and you move out of the Winter section, you immediately take back all workers you have on the board, age your grapes/wine, get your residual money, and place your rooster on any empty spot at the beginning of the wake up track (except for the first spot, you never choose that unless you were in the last spot when leaving the Winter phase).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking here - you choose wake up order when you pass, you don't choose it again after that.

The way we played it in the past is that the roosters would stay on the board through all four seasons, and we would remove them before we chose wake up order for the next year.

With the expanded board, cleanup is done individually, so we haven't been removing the roosters before we choose wake up order. The question is: do the wake up orders chosen at the end of the previous year influence what orders can be chosen at the end of the current year?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

At the end of the year, as you pass or run out of workers to place and you move out of the Winter section, you immediately take back all workers you have on the board, age your grapes/wine, get your residual money, and place your rooster on any empty spot at the beginning of the wake up track (except for the first spot, you never choose that unless you were in the last spot when leaving the Winter phase).

So when you say empty spot, are the roosters from that year cleared out before you choose?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dirk the Average posted:

The way we played it in the past is that the roosters would stay on the board through all four seasons, and we would remove them before we chose wake up order for the next year.

With the expanded board, cleanup is done individually, so we haven't been removing the roosters before we choose wake up order. The question is: do the wake up orders chosen at the end of the previous year influence what orders can be chosen at the end of the current year?

No, with the exception of whoever picked 7 getting 1 next turn. If someone chose three at the start of the year and you pass first in winter of that year, you can choose three.

The Extended Board is a bit weird since clean-up is a lot different than the original board.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mega64 posted:

No, with the exception of whoever picked 7 getting 1 next turn. If someone chose three at the start of the year and you pass first in winter of that year, you can choose three.

The Extended Board is a bit weird since clean-up is a lot different than the original board.

Okay, cool. I'll move the roosters along with the seasons as a visual indicator so that all the slots are open for the first person to pass in winter. Thanks! We were confused by the different cleanup steps.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, you move the roosters each season, if nothing else to remind people at the appropriate time of the benefit (or lack thereof) that they're getting. Then, when you pass in winter, you can pick any empty turn-order slot on the left side of the track, which will all be empty when the first player passes because you've been moving the roosters out of the spots when the seasons change.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Dirk the Average posted:

So when you say empty spot, are the roosters from that year cleared out before you choose?

Only your rooster is moved out of Winter on your turn. If you are the first to pass out of the year entirely, you can pick any of the spots (except the first) from the turn order track, because the first column on the wake up track is empty. The second player to pass out of the year picks any spot except the first place or the spot that the first player picked, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bunch of cocksure posters here