Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I encountered a seemingly isolated combat crash on my new playthrough and had an idea--disabling Inigo seemed to sometimes fix the crashes in testing, but when I tested it disabling Inigo also disabled Patchus Maximus and ASIS (because Inigo was a master to both of them). I'm thinking ASIS might be giving enemies spells or perks they shouldn't have. I'm deleting Agents are GO!'s ini files and restoring the original ASIS ones. I'm also running Patchus Maximus and ASIS without the other one active so the two proccers are blind to each other.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

I encountered a seemingly isolated combat crash on my new playthrough and had an idea--disabling Inigo seemed to sometimes fix the crashes in testing, but when I tested it disabling Inigo also disabled Patchus Maximus and ASIS (because Inigo was a master to both of them). I'm thinking ASIS might be giving enemies spells or perks they shouldn't have. I'm deleting Agents are GO!'s ini files and restoring the original ASIS ones. I'm also running Patchus Maximus and ASIS without the other one active so the two proccers are blind to each other.
You might as well not even run one them, then, because you'll get pretty much no effect from whichever one you run first that way. Just ditch ASIS if you think it's the problem, or maybe just tell ASIS to ignore Inigo (put it in the mod exclusions section of ASIS.ini.)

Seriously, though, don't run patchers like that. ASIS really shouldn't be giving out perks that enemies shouldn't have, though because thats been worked out for ages, and if that's the problem you most likely wont have any relief from using the vanilla INIs because what perks to distribute is something I haven't touched since I developed my INIs from the vanilla ones.

I think a much more likely answer is "you have too many goddamn mods."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. Patchus Maximus will still patch weapons, armor, items, and enchantments, and ASIS will still spawn enemies and add potions and spells. I just decided to have the two ignore each other. Also I was much more concerned about spells, especially since many non-vanilla spells might be designed for the player or a particular NPC/creature exclusively.

My playthrough from earlier this year was rock solid after I removed "immersive beds" and a couple of other mods (that I never reinstalled), and it had many more mods than this one. It was still going strong after 145 hours and I only quit it because I really wanted to try PerMa. The only mods this playthrough has that that one didn't are Perkus Maximus (replacing SPERG) and Civil War Overhaul (I had no civil war mod in that playthrough).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Because, in order to add spells, ASIS includes the entire character record (it has to.) If you don't include Patchus Maximus changes - including hidden perks and abilities PaMa adds and Perkus Maximus requires to function, you'll gently caress up your game.

Seriously, core functions of PerMa require those hidden abilities PaMa adds. Additionally, all of ASIS spawning functions are controlled by scripts placed on the NPC records themselves, again requiring that ASIS includes the entire npc record.

As somebody who's been messing with various patchers for a long time, seriously this is the wrong way to go about this.

If crashing seems to occur mostly with Inigo in your group, exclude Inigo from the ASIS patcher as I suggested before and see if that helps. You'll probably need to disable then enable him (in game, not his esp) to get any changes to stick.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wait, was I loving up before by running ASIS first and PaMa last? Is my saved game already ruined? What is the correct order/procedure to running these two patchers together?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 27, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As long as whatever one you run second processes the output of the one you ran first, it should be fine.

The problem comes when you run the second with the plugin generated by the first disabled.

Basically, as long as Patchus Maximus processes ASIS.esp, or vice versa, you're fine. Running them like you were planning to basically just makes the first one you run irrelevant.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well I've blocked Inigo from both PaMa and ASIS and am running them and loading them in that order. If either has to be reprocced I'll disable them both and then reproc them in that order. I'll see if that helps.

E: Of course it doesn't help. Nothing helps. What mod should I delete next so I can start all over yet again? Civil War Overhaul? PerMa? Should I just walk away and find something else to do with my time? It's completely impossible to tell if a mod set is actually stable because it takes hours for things to really start breaking.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I suspect OBIS of not being particularly good for stability. I used to crash running into bandits.

Immersive Patrols II? Haven't seen that around. Somebody fork it?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

OBIS and Immersive Patrols were on my most stable playthrough that went to 145 hours before I voluntarily quit it, and never gave me trouble before. As for the "II", the mod's name in the mod manager is simply "Immersive Patrols", with the version 2.0.3.

The mods that differ from the set that I used for that playthrough in its most stable state (i.e. the end--it got more stable over time as I got better at modding and removed bad mods from it to the point where it became basically bulletproof) are Civil War Overhaul, PerMa, the two music mods, and Deadly Dragons instead of Dragons Diversified. The others are mods that I've used before. Civil War Overhaul is the prime suspect due to how deep its script changes go. PerMa is suspect #2.

It would be nice if Skyrim told me what caused it to crash, like many other programs and games through. "File foo.bar not found", "ARROW_IN_KNEE while attempting to execute IUsedToBeAnAdventurer.psc at line 123", "failed to allocate 4982482 bytes of memory (out of userspace)", "NPC "Mai Waifu" (8D0469FE) contains invalid data", actual error messages would be so helpful.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I have never had serious issues with OBIS. I believe it's a relatively lightweight mod technically speaking, it mostly just adds tons more NPC's to bandit leveled lists, with a little more personality. I did run into a funny issue with it recently, though: I met a named vanilla NPC quest-giver that had no voice. "Anska." I checked in the CK and it turns out Bethesda was too lazy to give her a unique appearance so it just pulled her "traits" (race, voice, appearance) from a generic "female nord" leveled list. Apparently OBIS had added a bunch more female nords to this list without realizing that it was supposed to specify the voice type and not the race. I fixed it by turning her into an actual unique NPC and manually setting her voice to "female nord." It's pretty rare to run into a named NPC without a unique identity, but it does happen, and OBIS creates a random chance that their dialogue will be unvoiced.

You know, I should probably report that to the author of the mod... Joke will be on me if I missed an update that fixed it.

Immersive Patrols works great and IS great. Depending on your system specs you might want to opt out of the massive battles option, just because a lot of NPC's in one spot eat up a lot of system resources.

For the record, I have also used Civil War Overhaul for like a year and my game is rock-solid right now. Been a while since I actually picked a side in the civil war, but it added some great stuff to that questline.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So from this mod list, do you see any likely trouble sources? I'm desperate for some sort of solution to this. I have no idea what's causing crashes during the start of enemy encounters that escalate and become more unavoidable as the game progresses. I don't know what mods to remove, I really don't want to gamble more of my time. I just want to play Skyrim with PerMa and not have it break. :(

E: Can TESVEdit merged patches break anything?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 28, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Now that I think back, it may well be OBIS and ASIS. I recall there was se discussion a while back on the comment thread for the INIs that there was one bandit type causing crashes when it interacted with ASIS. I haven't used OBIS in a long time, I found it to be way too uneven in terms of toughness.

Try putting OBIS into the mod exclusion section of ASIS.ini

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'll try that, but is there anything I should do after that. Use SIC's cell reset? Wait 31 days? My repeatable crash was in a hallway in Sunderstone Gorge where three mages were waiting for me. Even waiting 31 days and coming back just made it crash in the exact same spot, with the same three mages waking up.

Also I had a long, long playthrough with OBIS and ASIS as I said earlier where I had excellent stability towards the end, but I had no CWO and I was using SPERG instead of PerMa. I kind of regret terminating that playthrough, but I had already beat Alduin and all that was left in terms of story content was Dawnguard and the Civil War, both of which suck. Dragonborn was done, Alduin was done, I had done all the daedric quests except Sanguine's because I couldn't find that Sam Guevenne idiot, I was level 46 with badass SPERG perks with top-level enchanted gear, so I was OP as gently caress and the game was resorting to throwing ever more absurdly powerful Draugr (6+ Deathlords at once) at me to keep things challenging. I thought PerMa would make it novel and interesting again. A game that crashes all the time is certainly interesting, but not in the way I was expecting.

In the meantime I left Sunderstone Gorge and proceeded to Glenmoril Coven to continue the quest I was on. I at least was able to make it there and get all the heads.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 28, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I honestly don't know.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

:sigh: Kind of wish there was a curated mod megapack built around PerMa in the style of that one for Morrowind. I mean there are sort of megapacks, but they require long manual installation processes and come with some uh, questionable choices (doesn't the most popular one have boobs, :dong:, and jiggle physics?). The Morrowind one is sensible and its installation is automatic (although the installer is quite hideous and anything that needs you to outright disable UAC should be rewritten) Maybe for that I'll have to wait until TES VI comes along and all the egotistical shitbirds leave Skyrim to mod that game.

Another update from the saga of crashing:
I ran into another repeatable encounter crash at Fort Sungard, with a few Silver Hand goons. Disabling ASIS alone fixed the problem, but I am very loath to continue a campaign after removing ASIS from it in case that causes even more stability woes. Adding OBIS to the ASIS block list doesn't make ASIS behave in that encounter--is it because they're already spawned and can't be "fixed" just by reproccing ASIS, or should I add more mods to the block list?

Damnit, this is by far the best mod set I've ever played Skyrim with when it loving works.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 28, 2015

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Is there a thread that does this for Oblivion? I am yet to have purchased the "Search Forums" upgrade

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Manic X posted:

Is there a thread that does this for Oblivion? I am yet to have purchased the "Search Forums" upgrade
It fell in the archives.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

We just use the Generic Elder Scrolls discussion thread for that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think I may have found the problem at long last. Entering the Perkus Maximus perk modules into the ASIS blocklist makes the crash at Fort Sungard stop. One of the enemies was given a bad perk that makes the game crash when he enters combat (the archer on the roof would work fine, but then I would shoot him and wake up a spellsword, who would cause a crash).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

I think I may have found the problem at long last. Entering the Perkus Maximus perk modules into the ASIS blocklist makes the crash at Fort Sungard stop. One of the enemies was given a bad perk that makes the game crash when he enters combat (the archer on the roof would work fine, but then I would shoot him and wake up a spellsword, who would cause a crash).

If you're using my INIs, ASIS shouldn't be touching PerMa perks. Weird. When I get my ram situation sorted out I'll take a look at whats going on.

Also, if you're putting the files into blocklist.txt that's bad but I've basically given up retyping things here that I've already put into the INIs FAQ and Articles.

Edit: if you're still running ASIS before PaMa, that's okay (but not ideal) because putting things in blocklist.txt makes ASIS ignore not just those files, but any files that have those files as a master (like your merged patch or Patchus Maximus.esp!)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting any problems were due to Immersive Patrols, was just curious what Immersive Patrols II was. I like IP a lot, and don't think it contributes directly to instability. Indirectly, since it spawns more stuff, it probably adds to the chances of a crash if you have instability already.

In the end, the solution to my issues was ENBoost.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

If you're using my INIs, ASIS shouldn't be touching PerMa perks. Weird. When I get my ram situation sorted out I'll take a look at whats going on.

Also, if you're putting the files into blocklist.txt that's bad but I've basically given up retyping things here that I've already put into the INIs FAQ and Articles.

Edit: if you're still running ASIS before PaMa, that's okay (but not ideal) because putting things in blocklist.txt makes ASIS ignore not just those files, but any files that have those files as a master (like your merged patch or Patchus Maximus.esp!)

My current build/load order for dynamic patches is bashed patch -> merged patch -> PaMa -> ASIS. I may switch PaMa and ASIS around. But it looks like this "bad" thing is the only way I'm going to have a stable game that doesn't crash.

E: Looking at my new ASIS.esp it lists Patchus Maximus.esp and the PerkusMaximus_Master.esp as masters, but none of the perk modules.

E2: Played a bunch of Skyrim tonight, no crashes :woop:

I did have an issue with the screen blur persisting after leaving werewolf form though, so I had to redo that dungeon as a human. It turns out that being a werewolf kind of sucks though, you have no defenses and a mid-tier Silver Hand with a greatsword can slaughter you.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 29, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Redid my modlist in preparation to start a new game, with the intention of culling some things that were probably responsible for making my last game really unstable...now I have even more mods than I started with. :negative:

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Everything Burrito posted:

Redid my modlist in preparation to start a new game, with the intention of culling some things that were probably responsible for making my last game really unstable...now I have even more mods than I started with. :negative:

The joys of Bethesda game modding. I just did something very similar, but I'm enjoying the change. I also find that with every rotation of mods, I find mods that I like (such as locational damage and DUEL), and ones that I don't. So, all in all, I wouldn't be too harsh on myself over it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Has anyone considered making an experience point mod that is even more OblivionXP/classic RPG like than SkyXP? It's annoying having to constantly check the mod configuration menu to spend XP on skill points. It would be better for experience to count towards a level up, and each level up grant you a fixed number of skill points to spend. SkyXP is still way better than the default system though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

nosl posted:

The joys of Bethesda game modding. I just did something very similar, but I'm enjoying the change. I also find that with every rotation of mods, I find mods that I like (such as locational damage and DUEL), and ones that I don't. So, all in all, I wouldn't be too harsh on myself over it.

I'm finally going to do a vampire playthrough so most of them are mods related to that at least, and I did manage to dump some things I've used almost every other playthrough to try out some different options (I'm going to use a different coin replacer this time lol) so it should be fun.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

I'm finally going to do a vampire playthrough so most of them are mods related to that at least, and I did manage to dump some things I've used almost every other playthrough to try out some different options (I'm going to use a different coin replacer this time lol) so it should be fun.

I highly recommend better vampires. I now use it on all playthroughs, even ones where I do not play a vampire, because it makes vampires much more exciting to fight, and it makes playing a vampire extremely fun as you can convert all of your companions into vampires.

You will have to start a new playthrough for it to work however.

nosl fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 29, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that's one I went with, and then some appearance ones because vampires look gross.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Royal Bloodline is a recommended mod on the Better Vampires page, and is a great Vampire Lord perk overhaul. Also enhances the throne room/bedroom in Harkon's castle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

yeah but like three weeks from now you should go through your mod list and see which ones of those "sounded cool" but are actually pointless. I've got so many on the chopping block right now, I don't even know what to do about it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to try real hard to not pull any out even if they're useless this time because that's part of what jacked up my last game I'm sure. I ran a save cleaner and did the whole process about waiting indoors and whatnot but it just got progressively more and more unstable. I managed to get him to level 40 or so which is where I usually lose interest in a character anyway so he had a good run and I didn't feel too bad about retiring him.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
Is there a mod that stops guards and /or town folk from going aggro on you if you accidentally harm them? I find it frustrating that a master vampire and 2 of its thralls attack the city you're in... In the chaos you harm someone and, even though you just saved all their asses, everyone attacks you. Ungrateful fucks. :p

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've noticed that sometimes enemies are able to dodge arrows fired at them when they are alarmed but not actively aware of and hostile to you. This dodging does not set them to hostile. It is very silly. Does any mod fix this?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I've noticed that sometimes enemies are able to dodge arrows fired at them when they are alarmed but not actively aware of and hostile to you. This dodging does not set them to hostile. It is very silly. Does any mod fix this?
If i recall right, setting fCombatDodgeChanceMax to 0 should fix that. You don't need a plugin for that, you can use the SetGS console command.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Well I don't mind the dodging in combat, though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Has anyone ever had problems with CoT refusing to make nights darker? The sky's gotten darker but not the lighting. I've got it installed through mod organiser with the weather patch. Loot and TesVedit say no probs. Load order's fine. I only have the one ESP for lvl 3 darkness enabled along with the patch.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Has anyone ever had problems with CoT refusing to make nights darker? The sky's gotten darker but not the lighting. I've got it installed through mod organiser with the weather patch. Loot and TesVedit say no probs. Load order's fine. I only have the one ESP for lvl 3 darkness enabled along with the patch.

It's really not difficult to grab darker night ones out of the archive. It's a quick replacement in MO. There are also some skyrimprefs.ini tweaks you can do to make ambient light darker at night, and separate ones for day too.

However, I tried taking out CoT and replacing all CoT-dependent compatibility mods and installing Purity instead, and I'm liking nights a lot better so far. They're dark at a distance but you can still see your immediate area, and the nights are really pretty. Sometimes too dark on a cloudy night, which is interesting, but Claralux more or less takes care of the super dark nights. I never thought I'd stop using CoT but exteriors in general just look really cool with Purity + RealVision ENB, despite the author of Purity saying not to use ENB with it.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 29, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I like Purity WAY better than CoT, and it also has the advantage of being a lot less intrusive and compatible with more stuff. Feel free to ignore the author's nutty rambling about how ENB won't work and you have to calibrate your monitor. It'll be fine!

Yeah that's one I went with, and then some appearance ones because vampires look gross.

On the subject of vampire appearance: I would very strongly advise against using the mod "Vampire Texture Framework" or VTF. It gives vampires a custom texture path. Unfortunately, it does so by editing their race record, consequently breaking compatibility with all other vampire mods, Skyrim, and itself. Every vampire NPC in the game ends up with a gray head because they didn't bother to export new facegen for them. There are mods that patch this, including one that I made myself, but it's such a constant fight between VTF and any other mod out there that so much as glances in the direction of a vampire... it's just not loving worth it.

Out of the box, VTF only properly affects player appearance., and spectacularly ruins everything else vampire-related. If you want the player character to have a custom skin path, use any custom race mod with a vampire option.

If you want vampire NPC's that don't look gross, stay tuned for my new vampire NPC overhaul, which I've been preparing in advance of my new Dawnguard playthrough. I've edited every vampire in the game, named and unnamed. This is the second time I've done this, because I'm an idiot.

I could create custom mesh/texture paths and point every NPC to them individually, but I decided to keep it really simple and just give them all paler skin tints. I manually scrubbed them of Dawnguard's bat noses and butt faces, gave them the improved fangs and eyes from BVFE, and carefully picked out some of the more realistic hairstyles from Apachii Sky Hair for a generally more refined appearance. By default I'm purging them of the glowing eye effect, but I might make an optional version later that retains it.

The idea of all this isn't so much to make vampires look sexy, but to make them look like they could reasonably pass for regular people if you're not looking closely, which they specifically do in a lot of vanilla game quests. I always thought Dawnguard kinda hosed that up, making vampires look way too inhuman. I think the idea that they can hide in plain sight is more interesting than looking fierce.

This mod is pretty much done, but I need to do a little more testing, get some screenshots, and package it up for upload. This involved editing around 150 individual NPC's, so it's taking some time to pull it all together. I'm going to try to get that done tonight.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've never played without CoT so I don't even I know how it intrudes. To me Skyrim has always looked that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been thinking about switching over to Purity. It seemed like a hassle to try to find everything CoT-related when I was messing with my list last night so I left it all in, but the more I think about it the more I want to try it out.

I haven't started my new game yet so I'm going to fine-tune a bit more I think; especially around the vampire stuff because I don't remember now which one I went with for appearance.

• Locked thread