Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Knyteguy posted:

Alternatively:

You guys tell me what to do with the car. I'm open to suggestions.

*Goons respond with sound advice*

*It does not validate the behavior you wish to pursue*

:qq: STOP MOCKING ME! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

*Goons respond with sound advice*

*It does not validate the behavior you wish to pursue*

:qq: STOP MOCKING ME! :qq:

Which goon are you referencing in particular? I don't care if it validates my behavior, I'm just tired of people being dicks about it.

Oh you said goons. Well I also said I'm not referencing the majority of the thread.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 24, 2015

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
POST YOUR BUDGETS KNYTEGUY

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's sad that the best thing is when BFC threads are boring. Like once a week post "on budget!" and people clap and wait for the next week.

Any time there's a bunch of posts the automatic thought is "gently caress why"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

lord1234 posted:

Which budget line item did the 43.xx come from?

You need to realize you are past the age of toy cars/etc. You are at the age of "take care of family". You passed that age the *day* you found out your wife was pregnant. Spend the next 15-20 years worrying about your child. Worry about how you will get him to his soccer game, not how fast you get there or how sexy you look in your *cough*super cool*cough* car. Once he reaches an age where you don't have to worry about those things, it's midlife crisis! Go buy yourself that muscle car you have always wanted!

Also seriously, look at the subaru's if you want something mildly fun. The outback impreza wagons are lots of fun, as long as you get one that doesn't have the gasket problem engine(I forget the years, check https://www.cars101.com for info).

Please, sell the muscle car. It's not what you need right now.

I just checked the Reno craigslist(you're in Reno right?) and there are a decent number of Scooby's to look at.

The options presented leave me with a "sell the car", "buy a new car", with little in between. I'm unsure how to proceed frankly. I don't want to go a period without a car again.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 24, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

POST YOUR BUDGETS KNYTEGUY

I said I would end of month. I will.

I'm not sure if you'll call it a douchenozzle budget though

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Knyteguy posted:

I said I would end of month. I will.

I'm not sure if you'll call it a douchenozzle budget though

I understand, you need another week to figure out all of the excuses you need to justify your poor spending over the past couple of months.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

The options presented leave me with a "sell the car", "buy a new car", with little in between. I'm unsure how to proceed frankly. I don't want to go a period without a car again.

To the person who rode around in a Fury - here is what GIS says is the back seat of the car:

Note that it's not basically a parcel shelf like the Camaro. At least a kid could ride back there.

I'm not going to argue that a Camaro would be bad in snow, but I will argue that without winter specific tires it'll be pretty crummy. Regardless of what tires are getting spun, the most important thing you can have for safe snow driving is a good set of tires. You can get away with all season tires that have been siped, but only to a point. If you have to descend slippery/snowy hills or climb them, at a certain point you need traction. AWD/4WD isn't nearly as helpful as tires because most people get into trouble stopping, not starting. Only thing that helps the stopping is tires that have good traction in snow.

You should put the car on sale today, and at the same time work your rear end off to sell of the sandrail (which is probably worth more like $500). Additionally, you should start setting aside money so you can open up a wider range of cars that will probably save you money in the long run. Just a friendly reminder, that you're really not in the financial position to have a 'fun' car. Remember all purchases - especially this large one is all about tradeoffs. If you figure an older car might cost $1000/year to keep on the road (maint/repairs/tires) there is a very good chance that this car could cost twice as much. You frankly can't afford to blow $1000+ that you don't need to. To put it another way, do you want to spend ~$85/month MORE money to keep this car on the road versus a more economical and reliable car. $85 a month would be pretty drat helpful for your kid's retirement fund, or paying down debt, or hell just having a nice night out with your wife. The net benefit to your life of owning an old beatup Camaro is essentially nothing, especially after the honeymoon period wears off and it's just another car.

Don't spend a dime on the car, don't change the oil, don't fix the brakes, nothing. Here is your simple sales pitch, I just bought this thing, and when my wife found out she was *pissed* so now I have to sell it. "My loss is your gain" - I love that craigslistism. Clean it up, and let it sit on CL for $2750 for a while and see if you get any bites. Frankly, you might be able to find someone to trade you for a little honda/toyota/ford/etc. I would suggest seeing if you can track down one of the early 2000s Focus. Pretty good cars, but have seen the depreciation of a domestic. Most of the japanese econoboxes will treat you well also.

Onto the Oculus -
Once again this is about both the money $350 is a decent chunk of change, but also the time you spend with this thing. I'm sure 3d directx might be something cool to play around with, but this is not something that will have a clear benefit to your current job situation. Are you planning on trying to get a job where those skills would be necessary? This 'app' is a long shot at best, have you created other apps that have been successful? What makes you think this app will be a solid moneymaker? Once again, all this time spent on something like this could be spent learning skills that will have a more direct benefit to your future job growth. Nevermind that this is time you could spend with your wife, family, or friends and just relaxing.

Here is the thing with you being 'mocked'
When you make objectively poor decisions, you don't own up to your mistakes, or admit that you're making a poor decision because you just want to 'have fun' or whatever. You make these poor decisions, and try to justify them with a bunch of really lovely reasoning and logic. This is why you are getting mocked, you're trying to act like a lovely decision was actually a good one. This is really why people give you such a hard time, most of the people here aren't stupid, and so when you make a crappy argument, frankly it makes you sound stupid.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
KG, I'd like you to imagine that you're following a weight-loss thread in YLLS. A big Fatty-Boom-Bah goonlord turns up, and stats that not only will he lose weight, but he will also keep going until he's got the bodyfat percentage of an elite Russian gymnast. People roll their eyes a little, but they give him sound fundamental advice. He doesn't always stick to it, but by making efforts towards calorie-counting and meal tracking his weight (while fluctuating) trends downwards, and while he's not looking like an elite athlete, he's merely overweight rather than being a clinically morbidly obese couchbound blubbernaut.

Then Fatty-Boom-Bah goes dark for a few months, and comes back saying "What's up guys, just to let you know I've stopped counting calories and here's a picture of a wedding cake that I just ate in one sitting and it's part of the nature of this cake that I'll have to have a small slice of additional cake with every meal. I'm also considering eating double portions at dinner and making up for it by doing 20 pushups. Overall I think I'm doing well.".

1. Are you frustrated by this.

2. List the reasons why.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
You know he isn't going to answer that in any way that indicates he's even remotely like that fictional goon lord. He'll wave it away as being exaggerated, then say how he's done really well and changed so much by listing accomplishments that happened over seven months ago.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Dude, "A period"?! Just sell this car, you will have a decent car found within a month or two. Run it past this group before you jump on it. I vow that as long as you spend under 2500$ on a REASONABLE car, I will not belittle you for it, budget or not(as long as you sell this car first!). I'd like a few others to get on board with this pledge.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

lord1234 posted:

Dude, "A period"?! Just sell this car, you will have a decent car found within a month or two. Run it past this group before you jump on it. I vow that as long as you spend under 2500$ on a REASONABLE car, I will not belittle you for it, budget or not(as long as you sell this car first!). I'd like a few others to get on board with this pledge.

A month or two is going to be a huge hassle, but if a few more posters get on board then I'm game I guess. I'm not looking forward to it by any means.

We have some cash out of the $2,500 cash withdrawal to deposit. Some $300. $200 went towards some house poo poo and some tailgate poo poo.

There's my naked budget. Of screen is an $1,800 check written to Toyota, which the thread is familiar with. That's why debt is -$1800 in July (it was technically from August's buget). My wife and I will be trying to figure out what we want to do moving forward to ensure we hit this. Basically we talked about it, and getting rid of the car debt is priority number one. I'll want to try to tackle gadgets especially in October. They're a large part of my financial Achilles Heel. Oh and we're going to start tracking with YNAB as we spend, now that she has an Android phone to do it with. We were more successful doing that.

Breetai posted:

KG, I'd like you to imagine that you're following a weight-loss thread in YLLS. A big Fatty-Boom-Bah goonlord turns up, and stats that not only will he lose weight, but he will also keep going until he's got the bodyfat percentage of an elite Russian gymnast. People roll their eyes a little, but they give him sound fundamental advice. He doesn't always stick to it, but by making efforts towards calorie-counting and meal tracking his weight (while fluctuating) trends downwards, and while he's not looking like an elite athlete, he's merely overweight rather than being a clinically morbidly obese couchbound blubbernaut.

Then Fatty-Boom-Bah goes dark for a few months, and comes back saying "What's up guys, just to let you know I've stopped counting calories and here's a picture of a wedding cake that I just ate in one sitting and it's part of the nature of this cake that I'll have to have a small slice of additional cake with every meal. I'm also considering eating double portions at dinner and making up for it by doing 20 pushups. Overall I think I'm doing well.".

1. Are you frustrated by this.

2. List the reasons why.

Sure. It's straight up regression, it's illogical (some pushups don't make for that), and it's kind of a weak showing.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 25, 2015

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
I don't understand YNAB very well, but is it reasonable to subtract "outflows" from "income" to get a general idea of income vs spending?

If so, is that correct in the last 3 months not counting whatever remains to be spent in September you've outstripped your income by $4196.94? And if you want to not count the car, it's still $1696.94?

Let me know if that's incorrect.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

^^
YNAB is a tool that perhaps some people use effectively, but of the people in here (BFC budgeting threads), it seems like only a tool to obfuscate their poor budgeting skills. In my opinion, it's too easy for people to just fuss with the numbers each month, which really takes a way from the purpose of a budget.

KG: You talk about wanting to pay down the Corolla faster, why not just auto pay $1000 / month on it and leave it at that. Treat it like that's a rent payment that can't be messed with. I believe this will be more effective than trying to accumulate chunks of money, then using it to pay it off. I have no idea how rapidly that will pay off the car, but it will reduce things pretty quickly. If you end up with some extra free cash, make another payment on top of that.

I don't understand why there is still so much overspending in the flexible spending categories, and why those numbers continue to change month over month. Are you not using cash envelopes for these areas? Maybe I am missing something, but nothing about these past few months look to me like you've been sticking to a budget. You're tracking your spending which is good, but there really isn't much staying on budget.

I'd encourage you to step back and to start thinking about why, this far down the road budgeting is not working for you. I believe both you and your wife should look into some sort of therapy/life coaching to help you modify your spending behaviors. Maybe doing that Dave Ramsey stuff would work for you. This thread + whatever else you're doing isn't effectively changing your behaviors.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

OneWhoKnows posted:

I don't understand YNAB very well, but is it reasonable to subtract "outflows" from "income" to get a general idea of income vs spending?
Sort of, but not really. YNAB is basically the envelope method, and if you don't spend it carries over. So if I stash $100 a month into my hookers n blow category but don't spend any of it, then I can go on a $1200 bender at the end of the year and not break the budget. It will show as outflow, but it's not really related to income that month.

The first column is budget from actual income that month. The second column is outflows that month. The third column is balance left in the category, which may include credits or debts from previous months. If there's a little red arrow next to it, then it carries that debt for that category and doesn't affect next month's "available to budget". If there's no red arrow, then it zeroes out the specific category the next month and is added to that "overspent" number for money available to budget next month. Make sense?

That said, I can't figure out where the gently caress that $4k comes from, so it must be some hidden categories. At the very least it's clear KG has no idea how to even adjust his budget to his spending. Hey, KG, you know you can click that lightning bolt at the top and it will automatically budget categories based on actual average spending for the previous three months or a year? Stop living in fantasy land and start budgeting to reality.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'm tired guys, and it's late. I'm gonna be brief.

OneWhoKnows posted:

If so, is that correct in the last 3 months not counting whatever remains to be spent in September you've outstripped your income by $4196.94? And if you want to not count the car, it's still $1696.94?

Let me know if that's incorrect.

I believe that's incorrect. Our net worth still went up in July by $1,000, it went down by $100 in August, and September well the car kinda ruined that dropping it down $1,000 nearly on the dot. Basically we've been treading water since the car payment in August ($1,8000). If we had overspent by $4,000 compared to income I think it would be way worse.

n8r posted:

^^
YNAB is a tool that perhaps some people use effectively, but of the people in here (BFC budgeting threads), it seems like only a tool to obfuscate their poor budgeting skills. In my opinion, it's too easy for people to just fuss with the numbers each month, which really takes a way from the purpose of a budget.

KG: You talk about wanting to pay down the Corolla faster, why not just auto pay $1000 / month on it and leave it at that. Treat it like that's a rent payment that can't be messed with. I believe this will be more effective than trying to accumulate chunks of money, then using it to pay it off. I have no idea how rapidly that will pay off the car, but it will reduce things pretty quickly. If you end up with some extra free cash, make another payment on top of that.

I don't understand why there is still so much overspending in the flexible spending categories, and why those numbers continue to change month over month. Are you not using cash envelopes for these areas? Maybe I am missing something, but nothing about these past few months look to me like you've been sticking to a budget. You're tracking your spending which is good, but there really isn't much staying on budget.

I'd encourage you to step back and to start thinking about why, this far down the road budgeting is not working for you. I believe both you and your wife should look into some sort of therapy/life coaching to help you modify your spending behaviors. Maybe doing that Dave Ramsey stuff would work for you. This thread + whatever else you're doing isn't effectively changing your behaviors.

In response to your last paragraph: I went looking today for why budgets were awful, as I've done many times in the past. My goal was to come in here and say: "See we don't need a budget." because sometimes I get a little pissed off at the thread (if you can't tell). However I couldn't find anything. The only articles I could find were why you need a budget. I'll admit that I hate budgeting. I hate being told what to do, and I hate confines (and yes I acknowledge this is immature). Budgets kind of hit both of those. They tell me what to do (even if I set it), and they confine me.

What I hoped to accomplish by not following the budget was making really good progress without it, but it's apparent to me that's not going to happen. I've wanted so badly to shed it and still be successful.

I agree that taking X amount and just paying it like rent is the way to move forward. We'll go ahead and do that, starting on the first of October with a $1,000 payment to Toyota. I also have been looking at savings accounts, and I will move our non-debt savings to a secondary account.

I'm hoping that a change in attitude from "I hate this budget this is really stupid and annoying" to "Well we need this to accomplish what we want, which is getting the car paid off" will help. I've never felt that way about it. I'm still kind of growing up.

Old Fart posted:

Sort of, but not really. YNAB is basically the envelope method, and if you don't spend it carries over. So if I stash $100 a month into my hookers n blow category but don't spend any of it, then I can go on a $1200 bender at the end of the year and not break the budget. It will show as outflow, but it's not really related to income that month.

The first column is budget from actual income that month. The second column is outflows that month. The third column is balance left in the category, which may include credits or debts from previous months. If there's a little red arrow next to it, then it carries that debt for that category and doesn't affect next month's "available to budget". If there's no red arrow, then it zeroes out the specific category the next month and is added to that "overspent" number for money available to budget next month. Make sense?

That said, I can't figure out where the gently caress that $4k comes from, so it must be some hidden categories. At the very least it's clear KG has no idea how to even adjust his budget to his spending. Hey, KG, you know you can click that lightning bolt at the top and it will automatically budget categories based on actual average spending for the previous three months or a year? Stop living in fantasy land and start budgeting to reality.

Yeah I used that lightning bolt in September. The problem is I haven't been budgeting, just tracking as mentioned. My wife hasn't either, but she intends to step into the financial situation, as she didn't realize what they were exactly. It'll help when we're both going at this together again.

I wanted so badly not to post the budget, but I'm glad I did. At least at this moment. I nearly said "gently caress this", but I realized that's not going to help anything. I'll look into another shrink to see if I can find one that can help with impulse purchases. It's going to be a few months though since we're uninsured at the moment.

Oh and also we're due a $115 medical compensation from the HSA. They renewed our cards and I didn't know it, so the one I had got declined for my son's shots.

August also isn't AS bad as it looks. We deposited $600 in September from the envelopes.

Anyway as I'm said it's late. I think my information is correct, but if it's not I'll post an addendum tomorrow.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So beyond entering expenses as we make them, seeing a shrink about impulse purchases in particular, and setting savings and debt reduction as a non-negotiable expense stored out of our main checking account, I also want to commit to posting weekly budget updates for the foreseeable future. You guys hold me accountable, even if it drives me totally crazy. I won't hide any expenses moving forward. It's not the right way to approach this.

I'll try to stop being an rear end in a top hat when things don't go my way, also.

Edit: wife just made this

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 25, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Why doesn't the YNAB screen show everything.. Post the lower half?

Regardless of that, something fishy is going on with your YNAB. You have 8k in cash but your ending balance is -600... And you've been overspending by 4k per month lately? Nice. You should probably drain your efund so you can pay for your car.

That is quite the mess. I use YNAB and I'm confused by it.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I can't tell wtf is going on either. So the month that you made the huge car payment, $1800 or so, why can you not do that every month? That was awesome.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Do you even look at your own budget? WTF is that overspend in August figure?

Knyteguy posted:

I don't want to go a period without a car again.
Would you rather that period be now or in February? But not like it matters because we all know you're not selling that car.

I'm still confused why it's so difficult to schedule with your wife's job. Is she no longer working the 9-5? What aren't you telling us?

If she IS working the 9-5, then renegotiate your own schedule to work better with it so that she can drop you off and pick you up, or some poo poo. Or the other way around, but I think she works farther away, right? Or if childcare is an issue she drops you off in the morning and you bike home. Your wheel removes, I'm sure you can fit it in the backseat or trunk. A nylon strap bike rack is cheaper than a Camaro.

I mean, gently caress, your boss said straight up "what do you want?" and after mulling it over for a couple of weeks your big request was a title change? Are you even trying?

Guess what, this is the kind of poo poo that people here can HELP YOU WITH. But after all this time you still don't want our help. I don't get it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Your YNAB looks like mine (except you make twice what I do :negative: ) and I also have no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore in mine or yours. I really want to start over. I'm so confused with it because I have a ton of money in checking and YNAB says I have -18.50. I think I need to go back to the YNAB thread to figure out what the hell happened. At least you have discretionary categories. I haven't funded a 'fun money' category in months. Reductions in pay swing your priorities around like you wouldn't believe.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I'm really proud and impressed by your attitude shift. That took a lot of insight and maturity.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
WTF Guys...can some more of you please step up and agree to my pledge so he sells the muscle car and gets a more reasonable one?

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

So beyond entering expenses as we make them, seeing a shrink about impulse purchases in particular, and setting savings and debt reduction as a non-negotiable expense stored out of our main checking account, I also want to commit to posting weekly budget updates for the foreseeable future. You guys hold me accountable, even if it drives me totally crazy. I won't hide any expenses moving forward. It's not the right way to approach this.

I'll try to stop being an rear end in a top hat when things don't go my way, also.

Really, really glad to hear this. Other advantage of weekly is even if you're blowing it, having the cycle be weekly instead of monthly or every third month will make it duller. After the first few weeks it isn't gonna be such a shock to hate your budget or be berated! Dull consistency has some serious advantages here!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Knyteguy posted:

In response to your last paragraph: I went looking today for why budgets were awful, as I've done many times in the past. My goal was to come in here and say: "See we don't need a budget." because sometimes I get a little pissed off at the thread (if you can't tell). However I couldn't find anything. The only articles I could find were why you need a budget. I'll admit that I hate budgeting. I hate being told what to do, and I hate confines (and yes I acknowledge this is immature). Budgets kind of hit both of those. They tell me what to do (even if I set it), and they confine me.

A budget is a plan and it has no more and no less power over you than you decide is useful for you. It should be a plan that is helping you achieve your goals (for you, right now, being debt free by May 2017). A budget isn't a restraint, it's a way to contextualize your day to day behavior into a plan that is looking on significantly longer time scales. As you've demonstrated, you can do whatever you want regardless of the budget whenever you want. It is only your long term goals that suffer when you do.

You do not have a good ability to model your actions in terms of their long term consequences, and neither do you have a good ability to form a set of coherent goals that will work well with each other. And that's okay, it's not a moral failing. It just means that you will benefit from the use of a tool like a budget. It means you need to really examine your goals, prioritize them, and get rid of ones that contradict others.

Going without a plan got you to your present state. Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

I'm hoping that a change in attitude from "I hate this budget this is really stupid and annoying" to "Well we need this to accomplish what we want, which is getting the car paid off" will help. I've never felt that way about it. I'm still kind of growing up.

I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one to feel this way. My husband is basically the same when it comes to the finances. In four years he's gone from making $50k to $you-don't-want-to-know, so it's hard for him not to think, "We have the money now. The bills are getting paid. The student loans are going away. We have a six month buffer... I don't have to worry about budgets anymore!" And so we eat out more than we should. We buy things we don't necessarily need. We rarely save up for big purchases. And the reason we do these things are because:

1) he hates budgeting and thinking he still has to "live poor"

2) he worked hard and sacrificed a lot (he moved to the east coast alone, about six months after our daughter was born, to take on a higher paying job. It took three months of saving to get the baby and I moved up there), so he feels he deserves to be carefree about it

3) he finds dealing with the finances to be extremely stressful

4) I was always in charge of the finances before he started making more, so it was always my job to say, "No. We can't afford it." I said it a lot. I don't say it as much anymore because I hate being the bad guy, and reasons 1 & 2.

It's only recently that I've actually looked at what we're spending and it's horrendous. Yeah, we're doing great with debt repayment and savings, but man, we could be doing so much better. We should be doing so much better, but we stopped tracking our spending. So I had a long talk with him. He doesn't like going back to a budget. He fought pretty hard against it. But when I pointed out how our spending definitely does not coincide with our financial goals (retirement, buying a house, college fund, travel, etc), he relented. He's still not happy about it, and I think he's only 70% on board with it, but it's something I can work with, even if it means I have to be the bad guy again.

So, you know, don't think that's a mental failure on your part. It's not. I mean, hell, I can see where my husband is coming from, and he made a compelling argument. But it's just not the responsible or reasonable thing to do. Just remember your goals, and think about your kid. I sure as gently caress don't want to put my daughter in a position where she must care for us in our old age, because I know I'm going to have to do it for my parents (who are just terrible with money) and it's just... I don't think it's fair. I don't think children should have to pay for the mistakes of their parents-- especially when help was given and squandered away. And you're being given help right now. Don't loving squander it. You still have time to make a good life for your family. Take advantage of it.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 25, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

lord1234 posted:

WTF Guys...can some more of you please step up and agree to my pledge so he sells the muscle car and gets a more reasonable one?
No.

It's a $2000 car with cheap insurance and it fits a car seat, who gives a gently caress what it says on the trunk lid? If KG doesn't mind the impracticalities than what-the-gently caress-ever, it does do the job. Bonus points for having friends/family that can help with maintenance and repairs. I don't know if you people have gone car shopping in that price range lately, but it's a depressing shitshow of mostly very badly cared for cars.

Also the 4th gen Camaro is a hatchback with a shocking amount of room for cargo, and fuel economy is fine enough if you drive like a sane human being thanks to aerodynamics and tall gearing.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Above is a good post (foxatee's, I take too long to write). Sig other and I recently combined finances and it was a struggle getting him on board to budget because we make decent money and have no problems paying our bills. During a very long and sometimes contentious talk, we ended up in the same page goals wise, in that paying down debt is important for our future so we can get the things we want. Our goals are not to retire early or extravagantly, but to live a little simpler now and once we pay off our student/car loans, buying a house and saving up for some bigger vacations we've always talked about wistfully. Your goals belong to you and your wife and don't have to be BFC approved, but they do have to make internal sense. We spend an extra $100 a month on groceries we could save because I like to buy local, organic stuff as much as possible and it's a priority to me to spend my money that way. It slows down debt payment somewhat, but we've consciously made the choice that it is worth the delay.

Budgeting is tough because you have to face the consequences of buying stuff that is not furthering your life goals every time you swipe your card. A silly example, but when I am running late to work and stop at McDonalds on the way and have to stick that in the budget, it feels super lovely...but it's a good motivator not to do that because it's dumb and I don't want to be that person chowing down a egg mcmuffin on the way to work. I still do it every once in a while because I'm not perfect. But if I wasn't monitoring the budget, I could hand wave it off and not acknowledge that every time I do that, I am actively hurting my present and future goals I have for myself. Ignorance is bliss and all that. While spending extra money on local meats and veggies is something worthwhile to me, blowing money on fast food certainly is not. My budget is a tool to help coax myself into making better choices day to day. It is a tool to help move day to day purchases to get in line with what you truly want your life goals to be, not something that should psychically bear down on you. If your goals are out of whack with your spending, either change the goals or change the spending.

I'm rooting for you KG. Being an adult is difficult, but you have the power to mold your life into what you want it to be, even if that life is not 100% BFC approved.

(On a bit of dayquill at the moment, sorry if this is incoherent)

marchantia fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 25, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

lord1234 posted:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

No.

It's a $2000 car with cheap insurance and it fits a car seat, who gives a gently caress what it says on the trunk lid? If KG doesn't mind the impracticalities than what-the-gently caress-ever, it does do the job. Bonus points for having friends/family that can help with maintenance and repairs. I don't know if you people have gone car shopping in that price range lately, but it's a depressing shitshow of mostly very badly cared for cars.

Also the 4th gen Camaro is a hatchback with a shocking amount of room for cargo, and fuel economy is fine enough if you drive like a sane human being thanks to aerodynamics and tall gearing.
I'm in this boat, too. He does need to get decent tires for it and should budget $4-600 (+alignment). Same with ANY used car basically. Most people are poo poo with cars.

I don't really give a drat about airbags or the rest of the things a new car brings you.

Either or I think this is a distraction from the 4K deficit KG's family is running. Wtf is up with that?!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

RIP Paul Walker posted:

No.

I'll concur with this. It's not really a good choice for a car, but if he can make it work (I'm guessing the car seat goes in the front seat) then whatever. I don't think it's worth right now just to look for another car at this point.

Just keep in mind KG that the money you're going to pour into this maintenance-wise, you're not going to get back when you re-sell. So unless you're dead set on keeping this thing long-term, I wouldn't go too crazy with fixing it up other than necessities.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah I don't care about the car as long as it works for the stuff he needs it for and he hasn't had it long enough yet to know how much the maintenance boils down to.

I think he should keep it and revisit it in 3 months.

Also how long has he been talking about "I'm gonna sell that thing on craigslist" and expecting that as income, because I feel like I've heard it more than once.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Given's KG's difficulties in sticking to a budget, why should he be introducing a more expensive to own car relative to many cars at similar price points. Here is a similar analogy, look at the TCO on a new Camaro vs. Honda Civic:
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/camaro/2015/st-200709666/cost-to-own/
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2015/st-200714223/cost-to-own/

I would contend that a 1995 Civic vs. a 1995 Camaro has similar differences in ownership costs - in fact it's probably worse because Chevy was making far shittier cars in 1995 relative to 2015.

This isn't small amounts of money either, remember that $1000 that he spends on a Camaro that he could spend on his car debt has a real cost of something like $1150 because remember he has some horrible ~15% rate on the note of the Corolla. The last thing KG needs to be doing is introducing yet another ongoing expense.

To frame it another way, he could use that $1000 to spend on therapy for both KG and his wife to help them get their spending in order. Instead of investing this money in something that could pay huge dividends in the future, he's choosing to spend it on something as fleeting as 'fun to drive'.

Re: Budgeting discussion
There are ways to budget that don't involve micromanaging tons of categories. I would contend that the micro category thing is best for analyzing past spending habits, but becomes a real hassle month to month. KG could have a set debt payment and savings withdrawal set up to automatically process every month. He lives on the rest, and has 'rules' regarding what he can dip into his savings for. This has been brought up many many times in this thread. This is the strategy that works for me. I make X, but I live off of Y.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Can we put a moratorium on car chat? I think we've had enough time for everyone to state their position (multiple times)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Could be worse, he could have gone out and financed another Corolla.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Or a horse.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys I couldn't find time to post yesterday. I was tearing it up at work. I got in the zone and delivered as much in a day as I usually do in three. The financial situation is looking up at work, and the bank freeze on credit increases for the big company I contract for is nearly over.

Old Fart posted:

Do you even look at your own budget? WTF is that overspend in August figure?

Would you rather that period be now or in February? But not like it matters because we all know you're not selling that car.

I'm still confused why it's so difficult to schedule with your wife's job. Is she no longer working the 9-5? What aren't you telling us?

If she IS working the 9-5, then renegotiate your own schedule to work better with it so that she can drop you off and pick you up, or some poo poo. Or the other way around, but I think she works farther away, right? Or if childcare is an issue she drops you off in the morning and you bike home. Your wheel removes, I'm sure you can fit it in the backseat or trunk. A nylon strap bike rack is cheaper than a Camaro.

I mean, gently caress, your boss said straight up "what do you want?" and after mulling it over for a couple of weeks your big request was a title change? Are you even trying?

Guess what, this is the kind of poo poo that people here can HELP YOU WITH. But after all this time you still don't want our help. I don't get it.

This was in regards to working late every single day in exchange for X, which I'm still not doing nor have I committed to it. The title change was separate from that.

My wife works 8:00am-5:00pm but it's about a 50 minute commute with traffic. Unfortunately we work about 30-35 miles from each other.

SiGmA_X posted:

Why doesn't the YNAB screen show everything.. Post the lower half?

Regardless of that, something fishy is going on with your YNAB. You have 8k in cash but your ending balance is -600... And you've been overspending by 4k per month lately? Nice. You should probably drain your efund so you can pay for your car.

That is quite the mess. I use YNAB and I'm confused by it.

I don't know either. I look at the categories themselves rather than the header data. As I posted above - I don't believe we've been overspending income by $4,000/mo. Our net worth has stayed even since June or July.

My business fund tends to swing up and down like that. It'll pay itself back in October or November. I'll go ahead and keep posting this category though, to keep me honest. The big thing here was the Oculus in September. Everyone has made some good points; I'll probably sell it.

(Hit me up Sig)

foxatee posted:

I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one to feel this way. My husband is basically the same when it comes to the finances. In four years he's gone from making $50k to $you-don't-want-to-know, so it's hard for him not to think, "We have the money now. The bills are getting paid. The student loans are going away. We have a six month buffer... I don't have to worry about budgets anymore!" And so we eat out more than we should. We buy things we don't necessarily need. We rarely save up for big purchases. And the reason we do these things are because:

1) he hates budgeting and thinking he still has to "live poor"

2) he worked hard and sacrificed a lot (he moved to the east coast alone, about six months after our daughter was born, to take on a higher paying job. It took three months of saving to get the baby and I moved up there), so he feels he deserves to be carefree about it

3) he finds dealing with the finances to be extremely stressful

4) I was always in charge of the finances before he started making more, so it was always my job to say, "No. We can't afford it." I said it a lot. I don't say it as much anymore because I hate being the bad guy, and reasons 1 & 2.

It's only recently that I've actually looked at what we're spending and it's horrendous. Yeah, we're doing great with debt repayment and savings, but man, we could be doing so much better. We should be doing so much better, but we stopped tracking our spending. So I had a long talk with him. He doesn't like going back to a budget. He fought pretty hard against it. But when I pointed out how our spending definitely does not coincide with our financial goals (retirement, buying a house, college fund, travel, etc), he relented. He's still not happy about it, and I think he's only 70% on board with it, but it's something I can work with, even if it means I have to be the bad guy again.

So, you know, don't think that's a mental failure on your part. It's not. I mean, hell, I can see where my husband is coming from, and he made a compelling argument. But it's just not the responsible or reasonable thing to do. Just remember your goals, and think about your kid. I sure as gently caress don't want to put my daughter in a position where she must care for us in our old age, because I know I'm going to have to do it for my parents (who are just terrible with money) and it's just... I don't think it's fair. I don't think children should have to pay for the mistakes of their parents-- especially when help was given and squandered away. And you're being given help right now. Don't loving squander it. You still have time to make a good life for your family. Take advantage of it.

Thanks for sharing. It gives some perspective, and I'm actually really glad to hear that I'm not the only one that doesn't like budgeting.

No you're right I don't want my son to have to take care of us. I'm in a similar position where my sister and I will have to take care of my mom when she gets older. She's kind of a wreck now (although she's seeing a therapist and on antidepressants so she's been a hundred times better the past couple of weeks), so she'll never have the capability to save anything as long as she's like this. I've noticed there's a parallel between my mom being a depressed mess and me spending money. I'll have to remember to tell that to the therapist.

You're right. I don't want to squander the help. One big change in my mindset right now, is that I've always said (when making a choice) is "well goons are going to give me crap about this". But my wife and I were just talking and we were like "well we need to stick to the this to reach OUR financial goals". I like that better.

marchantia posted:

Above is a good post (foxatee's, I take too long to write). Sig other and I recently combined finances and it was a struggle getting him on board to budget because we make decent money and have no problems paying our bills. During a very long and sometimes contentious talk, we ended up in the same page goals wise, in that paying down debt is important for our future so we can get the things we want. Our goals are not to retire early or extravagantly, but to live a little simpler now and once we pay off our student/car loans, buying a house and saving up for some bigger vacations we've always talked about wistfully. Your goals belong to you and your wife and don't have to be BFC approved, but they do have to make internal sense. We spend an extra $100 a month on groceries we could save because I like to buy local, organic stuff as much as possible and it's a priority to me to spend my money that way. It slows down debt payment somewhat, but we've consciously made the choice that it is worth the delay.

Budgeting is tough because you have to face the consequences of buying stuff that is not furthering your life goals every time you swipe your card. A silly example, but when I am running late to work and stop at McDonalds on the way and have to stick that in the budget, it feels super lovely...but it's a good motivator not to do that because it's dumb and I don't want to be that person chowing down a egg mcmuffin on the way to work. I still do it every once in a while because I'm not perfect. But if I wasn't monitoring the budget, I could hand wave it off and not acknowledge that every time I do that, I am actively hurting my present and future goals I have for myself. Ignorance is bliss and all that. While spending extra money on local meats and veggies is something worthwhile to me, blowing money on fast food certainly is not. My budget is a tool to help coax myself into making better choices day to day. It is a tool to help move day to day purchases to get in line with what you truly want your life goals to be, not something that should psychically bear down on you. If your goals are out of whack with your spending, either change the goals or change the spending.

I'm rooting for you KG. Being an adult is difficult, but you have the power to mold your life into what you want it to be, even if that life is not 100% BFC approved.

(On a bit of dayquill at the moment, sorry if this is incoherent)

Thanks for sharing also. My wife read this and said "vacations... hey I can get on board". Not just only that but you get what I'm saying. We both like to travel, and many of our ambitions since we first started dating have revolved around that.

I think it's really important to find that balance of not feeling like we're depriving ourselves of everything, and not feeling like we can buy whatever we want. Where I'm going to put my foot down is our monthly debt repayment and savings. We need to work around that no matter what.

Edit: In fact I'm going to go open a savings account somewhere else today.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

So the month that you made the huge car payment, $1800 or so, why can you not do that every month? That was awesome.

That was a 3 paycheck month (next is January). With the increase in baby budget ($600 to $750), baby proofing ($50/$100), 401K, and insurance, I don't know where our monthly income will fall.

However I believe we should be getting a nice tax return (not going to count on it because I can't do any accurate estimates). If we do that will all go towards debt.

Horking Delight posted:

Yeah I don't care about the car as long as it works for the stuff he needs it for and he hasn't had it long enough yet to know how much the maintenance boils down to.

I think he should keep it and revisit it in 3 months.

Also how long has he been talking about "I'm gonna sell that thing on craigslist" and expecting that as income, because I feel like I've heard it more than once.

I like this idea. I was thinking of listing it now for like $3,500. Nada has it listed as $4,000 so I could use that to justify the price: http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1995/Chevrolet/Camaro-Z28/2-Door-Coupe/Values, and if I'm not getting any bites in 3 months then discuss it with you guys again (the car has been running great, or it's been running terribly, etc). I'm a pretty experienced car detailer and I have a buffer, so I could shine her up real nice inside and out, and try to potentially make a profit on the car. If nothing else I'll have some free fun and a spankin' whip (joke).

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm in this boat, too. He does need to get decent tires for it and should budget $4-600 (+alignment). Same with ANY used car basically. Most people are poo poo with cars.

I don't really give a drat about airbags or the rest of the things a new car brings you.

Either or I think this is a distraction from the 4K deficit KG's family is running. Wtf is up with that?!

Alright well the tires have enough tread to last for a bit. The budget doesn't have room for new tires in October, but I can probably dedicate some money in November and December to get 'er done.

Some of the family has joked about going in together on a race horse.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 26, 2015

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
The take away on that post should be that of you want to go on vacations, then that is going to mean shifting your priorities from other things (buying a house, early retirement, more kids). None of these things are good or bad goals, but they all require sacrifice in the present in order to dig yourself out of the hole.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

This was in regards to working late every single day in exchange for X, which I'm still not doing nor have I committed to it. The title change was separate from that.
Whatever happened to "you've denied a raise this year, so I want something else as non-monetary compensation"?

Knyteguy posted:

My wife works 8:00am-5:00pm but it's about a 50 minute commute with traffic. Unfortunately we work about 30-35 miles from each other.
When do you get off of work? Probably around 5:00, no? Figure 15-30 minute bike commute, so you're home for max 45 minutes before she gets home. What super crisis do you find yourself in on a regular basis that you can't wait that long? What's stopping you from stopping with your bike to get whatever it is that justified 50% of a car?

Or maybe you have some situation with your sister? Okay so let's work with that. The more options you feel you have, the less trapped you'll feel, the more relaxed you'll be overall.

Knyteguy posted:

I don't know either. I look at the categories themselves rather than the header data. As I posted above - I don't believe we've been overspending income by $4,000/mo. Our net worth has stayed even since June or July.
Why aren't you freaking out that $4000 seemingly disappeared from your budget? Where did it go? This is a budgeting thread. FFS. This should be top priority on tracking down and reconciling, not a shrug of the shoulders and a resignation to forever living in the red.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

Whatever happened to "you've denied a raise this year, so I want something else as non-monetary compensation"?

When do you get off of work? Probably around 5:00, no? Figure 15-30 minute bike commute, so you're home for max 45 minutes before she gets home. What super crisis do you find yourself in on a regular basis that you can't wait that long? What's stopping you from stopping with your bike to get whatever it is that justified 50% of a car?

Or maybe you have some situation with your sister? Okay so let's work with that. The more options you feel you have, the less trapped you'll feel, the more relaxed you'll be overall.

Why aren't you freaking out that $4000 seemingly disappeared from your budget? Where did it go? This is a budgeting thread. FFS. This should be top priority on tracking down and reconciling, not a shrug of the shoulders and a resignation to forever living in the red.

My boss let me know on Thursday or Friday that a raise and/or bonus will be coming in March. The big company we contract with has been successful, and netted $1,000,000 in a month just a couple months ago, as opposed to constant losses the previous year (they expanded rapidly by buying out the competition). So worst case scenario something should be coming by then, if I don't have another job already.

marchantia posted:

The take away on that post should be that of you want to go on vacations, then that is going to mean shifting your priorities from other things (buying a house, early retirement, more kids). None of these things are good or bad goals, but they all require sacrifice in the present in order to dig yourself out of the hole.

Yeah. My short term family goals are paying $1,000/mo towards the car loan every single month, curbing impulse purchases, and meeting a reasonable budget every month. That's the to-do list for now. I still need to evaluate what I want in the longer term, but I think some short term focused thought would be OK for now, again.

I put the car on Craigslist at $2,750 to see what happens. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the car other than what's wrong with most used cars of its age and price range, but I want to see if I can make a little profit off of it. Oculus Rift will be going up today when I get home. I'm going to look into expanding my drop shipping / FBA business as suggested instead.

Other than that I think budget wise $300/mo in maintenance up to $3,000 would be wise for the time being. The October budget I've been posting is not our finalized budget. My wife and I will finish that tonight.

Tires I'm going to see how the season goes. If there's a problem (and it'll show up quickly), then we should have enough in the maintenance account by then to purchase some as soon as they're needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

My boss let me know on Thursday or Friday that a raise and/or bonus will be coming in March.
Okay, but he still asked you what you wanted for your good work so far, and all you came up with was a title change.

Help me help you, dude. You're putting the car up for sale. What are you going to do if it sells? What's your backup plan? Give me the information so I can design options for you.

* What are your hours?
* What's the current childcare arrangement?
* Is wife's job close to a bus line?

If you have options then you don't feel like you're in crisis mode all the time and you avoid making impulse decisions like buying an old RWD 2-door muscle car for backup wintertime family transportation.

• Locked thread