Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

name of the ff16 protagonist right there

Excuse me you're behind the times.

They would be named Tonitruinix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wanted to post about thundersnow. I guess when it comes to meteorological facts, he who snoozes, loses.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress yoooouuuuu Final Fantasy 13 and gently caress you too Google I just wanted to know if there's such a thing as thunderstorms during snow, not whether or not Snow and Lightning are romantically compatible

Snow and Lightning definitely arent romantically compatible.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Snow and Lightning definitely arent romantically compatible.

Snow's sense of humor softens Lightning's hard-rear end attitude while her sense of responsibility keeps Snow honest. In my head cannon, Snow busts out of a dimensional rift on a motorcycle in a small town outside Paris and punches Toriyama out, and he and Lightning ride into the sunset and start a healthy fast food place in Portland called Lighting Fast Granola fitness workout routine they sell on TV called Lightening Those Pounds Lightning-Style manage a branch of Fedex Office because it turns out "being a god" and "being a spoiled kid who learned how to fight" aren't very marketable skills.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 28, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is that FFTA patch out yet

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I liked FFMQ but I got stuck at, like the cliff or something? I was a screen away from the airship I think? I also liked the refs to it in Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the world.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I just discovered that you can do this with the ferry in FFII. I haven't really seen anything about this outside of the TAS that I discovered this from. I'm surprised I really haven't heard of it before, but I guess you can't really do much of anything all that fun with it. It's not like FFII is hard to break anyway.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd sooner play FFMQ than the DS remakes or badly aged garbage like FF8 because unlike those games FFMQ wasn't a steaming pile of poo poo.

You can tell this is an opposite world post because regardless of what you think of FF8 it still looks and sounds and plays exactly as you'd expect

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Camel Pimp posted:

I just discovered that you can do this with the ferry in FFII. I haven't really seen anything about this outside of the TAS that I discovered this from. I'm surprised I really haven't heard of it before, but I guess you can't really do much of anything all that fun with it. It's not like FFII is hard to break anyway.

Hah, nice. I guess it makes an early trek to Mysidia slightly easier maybe? Probably doesn't help that it's already possible to go pretty much everywhere to begin with due to FF2's bizarre map.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tempo 119 posted:

You can tell this is an opposite world post because regardless of what you think of FF8 it still looks and sounds and plays exactly as you'd expect

Doesn't mean it hasn't aged poorly. FF7 has too. A graphical update and retranslation would make the remake fantastic, but they're already discussing changing fundamental poo poo (like should it be an action RPG?) and after the Compilation I don't know how anyone has an iota of faith in the company to make a decent game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF7 gameplay needs updating though because it's about as bog standard as Fight, Magic, Item gets.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Give it Brave and Default

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7 gameplay needs updating though because it's about as bog standard as Fight, Magic, Item gets.

Just add more command, support and Independent materias.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Give it Claire "Lightning" Farron.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I will be upset if Claire "female Cloud" Farron is not put into it in one way or another.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

People still play Pokémon, man. With customizable magic and additional commands, limit breaks, and enemy skills, FF7 looks alright compared to most turn based RPGs even today.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I can't wait for the announcement of FF XV's release date's announcement, the game looks really good and the music sound great - it seems like they greatly enhanced FF XIII "open world" formula into a real open world, and the Chocobo is still a barrier between you and the monsters, even though it doesn't make sense if you can see them, but who cares, it's Final Fantasy, and I can ride that Chocobo.

I'm hype again, hopefully it'll last for the next two years of waiting for the game.

Edit: one thing though, they keep showing those ridiculously good looking food items, but I wonder how the animations for eating will look like, I don't remember a game which had any good ones, it's either they don't actually pick up or eat the food or it's just obscured, it'd look a bit weird having cartoony eating with "realistic" food.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 28, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pokémon is another good example of a game in dire need of a formula change.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

it's perfectly functional and the would benefit from a difficult increase, so you actually had to think and plan a bit instead of just pusing x to attack.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would like it if controlling Barrett played exactly like Vanquish.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

it's perfectly functional and the would benefit from a difficult increase, so you actually had to think and plan a bit instead of just pusing x to attack.

Don't you push the circle for attack in the game, though?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

Don't you push the circle for attack in the game, though?

no wonder it took so long to complete

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

I can't wait for the announcement of FF XV's release date's announcement, the game looks really good and the music sound great - it seems like they greatly enhanced FF XIII "open world" formula into a real open world, and the Chocobo is still a barrier between you and the monsters, even though it doesn't make sense if you can see them, but who cares, it's Final Fantasy, and I can ride that Chocobo.

I'm hype again, hopefully it'll last for the next two years of waiting for the game.

Edit: one thing though, they keep showing those ridiculously good looking food items, but I wonder how the animations for eating will look like, I don't remember a game which had any good ones, it's either they don't actually pick up or eat the food or it's just obscured, it'd look a bit weird having cartoony eating with "realistic" food.

In the demo at least there's 0 eating animation, it's just an extreme close up of the food while you hear the guys go "mmm" "hmmm" "Aaaah delicious!"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I will be upset if Claire "female Cloud" Farron is not put into it in one way or another.

They could retcon Zack to look like this + also change his name to Lightning

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Excels posted:

didn't FF3 DS get a positive reception though? I recall people being pretty happy with it at the time.

Nah I think even if you go by metacritic it's probably the lowest of the mainline series (Although it's tricky seeing as how each one was released like 12 times)

I remember it's the only FF game I ever saw in the 70s on its initial release at the time (DS version) although that's a bit more common these days

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

I can only assume Cloud ends up dressed like Lightning in the Wall Market bit. If they don't do that, I'll take it as fact that the FF team has given up the ghost and should stop making new games forever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Excels posted:

didn't FF3 DS get a positive reception though? I recall people being pretty happy with it at the time.

Something I didn't see anyone mention, but the DS version was also the first time the US got FF3 officially at all. Most were too drunk on the idea of "hidden missed gem" to notice anything seriously wrong with it, and the lack of experience with the NES version meant that most reviewers probably did not even know that the DS version was worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact that the DS version was the first time FF3 ever came out in the Anglosphere is the only reason I haven't kicked my copy into the garden for being an unrepentant turd of a game.

I need it for my collection too, I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
cloud dresses up as a woman to sneak into the brothel by dyeing his hair pink and calling himself eclaire

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don Corneo is played by Motomu Toriyama, he is greatly insulted by the false Lightning, he is the new harder than Ruby Weapon superboss.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Aurain posted:

Pokémon is another good example of a game in dire need of a formula change.

Actually Pokemon is loving perfect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"(X) long running franchise needs a formula change" pretty much never works out well because if people are playing a long-running franchise it is probably because they like that formula and do not want it to drastically change, even if they claim they do. Even freaking Mario has an easier time keeping people playing the 2D Marios than the 3D ones and it's Mario.

There are exceptions but they're relatively few and far between and rarely/never applied to successful franchises. The only exception I can think of is Resident Evil 4 and even that was more of a natural evolution of the franchise getting more and more actiony with each successive game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Is that FFTA patch out yet

did you find out the answer to this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gologle posted:

Actually Pokemon is loving perfect.

It's a game that thought "huh, so Dragon types are kind of overpowered, instead of fixing the type with a natural strength against it but is useless because it has awful weaknesses and the monsters of its type have poor stat distribution, we'll just add a new type entirely and leave that type broken." It's kind of far from perfect.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

"(X) long running franchise needs a formula change" pretty much never works out well because if people are playing a long-running franchise it is probably because they like that formula and do not want it to drastically change, even if they claim they do. Even freaking Mario has an easier time keeping people playing the 2D Marios than the 3D ones and it's Mario.

There are exceptions but they're relatively few and far between and rarely/never applied to successful franchises. The only exception I can think of is Resident Evil 4 and even that was more of a natural evolution of the franchise getting more and more actiony with each successive game.

Does Mega Man Battle Network count?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Does Mega Man Battle Network count?

I don't really think so because it's a spinoff. Pokemon has tons of those too, ranging from fighting games to a strategy-RPG where you team up with Nobunaga Oda.

That is ironically where the formula changes come in. If you want something drastically different for Pokemon you've got like fifty different options.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pokemon Tekken is gonna kick rear end.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

In Training posted:

In the demo at least there's 0 eating animation, it's just an extreme close up of the food while you hear the guys go "mmm" "hmmm" "Aaaah delicious!"

That's a fine compromise, no reason to spend more budget on nice, but ultimately superfluous stuff.

Also I'm glad that your clothing choices in the FF VII remake will finally be shown, it was always weird how you could make your dress and accessories all different, and yet end up with the same character model.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Aurain posted:

It's a game that thought "huh, so Dragon types are kind of overpowered, instead of fixing the type with a natural strength against it but is useless because it has awful weaknesses and the monsters of its type have poor stat distribution, we'll just add a new type entirely and leave that type broken." It's kind of far from perfect.

yeah its the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aurain posted:

Don Corneo is played by Motomu Toriyama, he is greatly insulted by the false Lightning, he is the new harder than Ruby Weapon superboss.

He drops the Bouquet Rose, which can be traded to the collector in Kalm for loving nothing.