Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008

you incessantly bitching about how back in the day people had to know how to play their jobs never ceases to be massively ironic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alex's music makes up for any visual blandness :colbert:

Speaking of, I had a chance to do T8 of Coil synced last night and enjoyed it a lot.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I appreciate how easy everything is because I have no idea how to play any of my jobs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

I appreciate how easy everything is because I have no idea how to play any of my jobs

I feel like I'm terrible at BLM on any 60 fight because I suck at enochian. Also, there's far too many times I cast one too many Fire 2s and put myself below mana cost for Blizzard 3, leaving me to have to use transpose. The worst is when I somehow manage to gently caress up severely and straight up lose my stacks entirely, transpose nothing and just stand around like an idiot, praying no-one is noticing how much a fuckup I am.

Apparently this is one of the easier/easiest dps classes. :geno:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I'm terrible at BLM on any 60 fight because I suck at enochian. Also, there's far too many times I cast one too many Fire 2s and put myself below mana cost for Blizzard 3, leaving me to have to use transpose. The worst is when I somehow manage to gently caress up severely and straight up lose my stacks entirely, transpose nothing and just stand around like an idiot, praying no-one is noticing how much a fuckup I am.

BLM is definitely not one of the easier DPS classes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think it's slightly annoying that they made Leylines require you to stand still, which is not a particularly good thing to do during a boss fight.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
BLM has always been hard to squeeze top dps out of because if you move you lose DPS. So you either need to know the fight well enough to only move when you get a proc or get healed a lot (please don't do this in raids, but do it in dungeons when I'm healing). It's even harder now thanks to Fire 4 being dumb. I keep losing astral fire because I'm bad at blm.

The basic rotation at 50 was super easy though.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How do I unlock haircuts? I'm level 22.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shy posted:

How do I unlock haircuts? I'm level 22.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Beauty_Is_Only_Scalp_Deep

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

thanks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Oxyclean posted:

BLM is easy and anyone with a perverse sexual desire can do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Everything is easy to do with a mild level of competency. You may not be the top dps without a lot of practice, but no job in this game is really difficult to get moderate to good dps out of it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

BLM is easy and anyone with a perverse sexual desire can do it.

code:
Theorem tenzarin_blm: 
forall (x : Person), perverse_sexual_desire x -> can_be_blm x.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

code:
Theorem tenzarin_blm: 
forall (x : Person), perverse_sexual_desire x -> can_be_blm x.

That's so clever even a CHILD could understand!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

kharaa posted:

you incessantly bitching about how back in the day people had to know how to play their jobs never ceases to be massively ironic

Stay mad I guess :confused:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After collecting 30 cards just through dungeons and trials, I finally started getting deep into Triple Triad. I loved playing it in FFVIII, but man the quality of life in this game is really depressing. Beating an NPC and hoping for a drop reminds me of the darkest days of Warframe running Tower 3s and praying to the RNG gods. Oh, by the way, this NPC only plays during certain times of the day. Didn't get your drop after beating them 20 times? Wait till tomorrow. Christ. It makes it worse that almost every Heavensward NPC uses random and chaos and their deck contains 3/4/5 star cards, so good luck winning on that (I'm looking at you, Tataru).

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Boten Anna posted:

Stay mad I guess :confused:

Woahhh calm down there & relax my friend

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

seiferguy posted:

After collecting 30 cards just through dungeons and trials, I finally started getting deep into Triple Triad. I loved playing it in FFVIII, but man the quality of life in this game is really depressing. Beating an NPC and hoping for a drop reminds me of the darkest days of Warframe running Tower 3s and praying to the RNG gods. Oh, by the way, this NPC only plays during certain times of the day. Didn't get your drop after beating them 20 times? Wait till tomorrow. Christ. It makes it worse that almost every Heavensward NPC uses random and chaos and their deck contains 3/4/5 star cards, so good luck winning on that (I'm looking at you, Tataru).

I'd still rather sit there and constantly hope that a 1-minute match at most drops a card I want versus running World of Darkness or buying Gold Packs for ANY of the dissidia cards.

I'm so deep in the hole on gold packs and I've still never seen Zidane or Warrior of Light. And I think I'm like the only person that doesn't have an Onion Knight card after running WoD for as long as I did.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A couple pages late, but for all the people who think back on vanilla WoW and how terrible it was, you have to realize that it was really streamlined and easy compared to everquest which was the direct predecessor in MMO terms. This isn't really meant to be a groggy back in my day post or anything; I mean my beard is barely even shaking in rage. It's more a reminder that everything is incredibly relative.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Samba De Amigo posted:

I'd still rather sit there and constantly hope that a 1-minute match at most drops a card I want versus running World of Darkness or buying Gold Packs for ANY of the dissidia cards.

I'm so deep in the hole on gold packs and I've still never seen Zidane or Warrior of Light. And I think I'm like the only person that doesn't have an Onion Knight card after running WoD for as long as I did.

I got Onion Knight on my 1st WoD run. I also got Bartz on my 1st Gilgamesh / Enkidu run too. I'm blessed with good luck, I guess. I should run Ultros a bunch in hopes of getting a Terra card, but I'm not swimming in MGP to spend on gold packs. I'm just annoyed that I spent a bunch of time playing time-sensitive NPCs to try and win an Ultros card, and neither dropped it prior to the time ending.

I get why they do it, since they don't want to inflate the number of high level TT players, but it is frustrating and annoying as all hell. I just want 60 cards, and it's such a slog to get there.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

A couple pages late, but for all the people who think back on vanilla WoW and how terrible it was, you have to realize that it was really streamlined and easy compared to everquest which was the direct predecessor in MMO terms.

everybody reasonable knows this, it's the idiots who still want to play vanilla wow in 2015

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Nurge posted:

A couple pages late, but for all the people who think back on vanilla WoW and how terrible it was, you have to realize that it was really streamlined and easy compared to everquest which was the direct predecessor in MMO terms. This isn't really meant to be a groggy back in my day post or anything; I mean my beard is barely even shaking in rage. It's more a reminder that everything is incredibly relative.

I mean yeah taking a table corner to the crotch is a lot better than having all your fingers broken but you're still taking a table corner to the crotch and even taking all relatives into consideration it's still a bad situation.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of, I had a chance to do T8 of Coil synced last night and enjoyed it a lot.

I just now realized this is your forums account. :hfive: everyone has been hyping T9... Hopefully it lives up to it, but all of coil has been very fun up until this point.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
T9 loving owns and the music is my favorite in the game (well, the first phase. second phase is good too)

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

seiferguy posted:

I got Onion Knight on my 1st WoD run. I also got Bartz on my 1st Gilgamesh / Enkidu run too. I'm blessed with good luck, I guess. I should run Ultros a bunch in hopes of getting a Terra card, but I'm not swimming in MGP to spend on gold packs. I'm just annoyed that I spent a bunch of time playing time-sensitive NPCs to try and win an Ultros card, and neither dropped it prior to the time ending.

I get why they do it, since they don't want to inflate the number of high level TT players, but it is frustrating and annoying as all hell. I just want 60 cards, and it's such a slog to get there.

I hate your luck. That being said getting to 60 isn't AS hard as it used to be but it's still not easy by any means. Just requires a lot of good RNG and time dedication.

I'm convinced getting every card is impossible for my luck though. Especially now that barely anyone runs WoD it feels like. Kinda hope they add him to Platinum packs (please not gold don't do this SE).

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I mean yeah taking a table corner to the crotch is a lot better than having all your fingers broken but you're still taking a table corner to the crotch and even taking all relatives into consideration it's still a bad situation.

Some people enjoy getting hit in the balls with their broken fingers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Samba De Amigo posted:

I hate your luck. That being said getting to 60 isn't AS hard as it used to be but it's still not easy by any means. Just requires a lot of good RNG and time dedication.

I'm convinced getting every card is impossible for my luck though. Especially now that barely anyone runs WoD it feels like. Kinda hope they add him to Platinum packs (please not gold don't do this SE).

I need to get in on some pony farms to get my Garuda / Ifrit / Ramuh cards. And it looks like that imperial in Mor Dhona is easy to beat with an ascension beast deck, so I need to create one of those.

I need to get DGKK playing so we can all get that accomplishment for 300 roulette games and get a Vaan card.

edit:

ouch.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 28, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

My one (and only) T9 clear is one of my fondest FFXIV memories... along with getting homing missiled with Allaghan Field on and killing the boss right as the entire raid got hit for 4k, wiping everybody but myself and the tanks :allears:

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I need to get in on some pony farms to get my Garuda / Ifrit / Ramuh cards. And it looks like that imperial in Mor Dhona is easy to beat with an ascension beast deck, so I need to create one of those.

I need to get DGKK playing so we can all get that accomplishment for 300 roulette games and get a Vaan card.

edit:

ouch.

Several of the HW NPCs have the Roulette rule, I ended up getting Vaan just through the process of farming all the NPC cards.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ugh. I can't even bring myself to log in right now. I maybe log in every other day to check retainers/minicactpot, but I'm usually only on for 5 min at most. I haven't capped eso/red scrips in about three weeks and I can't even bring myself to care to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for letting us know.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the patch lull is hitting pretty hard now. I'm seeing 20 minute EXDR queues as a healer and had an 80 minute Seal Rock queue so I've basically given up on even trying for that any more. Once I complete the Esoterics set there's basically nothing left to do at end game.

Hopefully they'll start the Halloween event soon so at least there will be something to do before 3.1.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Speaking as someone who's highest job is 22, what could they have done better to stop people running out of things? Is it just a flatout lack of stuff to do, or is the gear curve messed up so yo udon't need to do anything but the highest dungeon or whatever?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

megalodong posted:

Speaking as someone who's highest job is 22, what could they have done better to stop people running out of things? Is it just a flatout lack of stuff to do, or is the gear curve messed up so yo udon't need to do anything but the highest dungeon or whatever?
Basically, the game is lacking a comically time-consuming treadmill grind to keep people going. There is tons of stuff to do, but little that actually gives a sense of progression. 3.1 will reintroduce this with the new relics.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I've decided to play this again after a year and a half off, and all of my friends are playing on Excalibur. I seem to remember having to log on at like 4am to get a character made there; is this still the case?

Does paying for a character transfer allow you to skip the character creation block? I might just do that so I can play during normal hours.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking for myself, there's just too much of a gap between the casual content and the hardcore content. The hardcore stuff is hard enough that trying to get and maintain a static (at least on my podunk backwoods server) became an unfun chore, and I didn't feel any drive to complete it because I had already seen all the fights anyways (at least in easier form). The casual stuff is complete faceroll tier and, again, I don't really have any drive to make my numbers go up by doing it because the hardcore tier isn't fun anymore.

Basically, if I could snap my fingers and suddenly be playing with seven other people who can maintain a 2 night a week schedule and not be crap, I wouldn't be on a hiatus right now, but the casual stuff just isn't interesting enough to make up for my (personal) lack of ability to get a good raid group. It doesn't help that the daily roulette of level 60 dungeons is only two dungeons, one of which got old in week one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unironically eagerly awaiting new Relic Weapon grind.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Unironically eagerly awaiting new Relic Weapon grind.

Yeah.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
A weapon to surpass metal gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I capped eso this week using nothing but frontline roulette and one expert a few days ago. The queue times are only really crazy if you're playing at an off hour.

• Locked thread