Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Ride it out a few days and you will get past it. Went cold turkey myself and the first few days blew a dick but you will thank yourself once your clothes and mouth don't smell like a pile of burnt poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As soon as you start making progress don't cave in to cravings because when you cave the first time its almost always followed up by a second.

I can't say that the cravings ever stop but it goes from feeling desperate for a cig to 'you know a cig would be kinda nice' and those cravings are the devil because you can think you can just have one.

Fortunately at that point they're easy to ignore and go away in like a minute.

I smoked for almost 20 years and have been off them for 3.

Aug 4, 2010

RideTheSpiral posted:

i am already extremely fat

u got a lot going for yourself pal

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RideTheSpiral posted:

i am already extremely fat

In that case you're fate is already sealed, might as well live it up before your ticker punches out of its own accord.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Do what I did and start smoking cigars while telling yourself that it's only a once in a while type thing but it just ends up being more expensive anyways and smoking the equivalent of like three unfiltered cigarettes at once is wreaking havok on your respiratory system and you wake up in the middle of the night struggling to catch your breath.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

RideTheSpiral posted:

thats not very helpful. cigarettes are highly addictive

its only addictive if you keep doing it. if you actually want to quit you will. get in the mind zone

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Un chien andalou posted:

Do what I did and start smoking cigars while telling yourself that it's only a once in a while type thing but it just ends up being more expensive anyways and smoking the equivalent of like three unfiltered cigarettes at once is wreaking havok on your respiratory system and you wake up in the middle of the night struggling to catch your breath.

it's bothering your lungs? are you inhaling the cigars, friend?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Hot Karl Marx posted:

its only addictive if you keep doing it. if you actually want to quit you will. get in the mind zone

i have quit

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

www posted:

u got a lot going for yourself pal

fat is beautiful fyi

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
loving had some chilled coffee and a huge raisin cupcake at the airport, taking a long drag off of my fag before a business meeting and lunch with people who will do the same.

is this the mad men thread those guys are cool

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

MVP posted:

loving had some chilled coffee and a huge raisin cupcake at the airport, taking a long drag off of my fag before a business meeting and lunch with people who will do the same.

is this the mad men thread those guys are cool

you should consider quitting. the good folks itt are very supportive

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
yeah pretty sure the majority of my dental work has been because of cigarettes. I don't even drink but I also smoke weed

I'll try to lay off so many in a day but my coworkers get to smoke at their desk which is the biggest temptation.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

MVP posted:

yeah pretty sure the majority of my dental work has been because of cigarettes. I don't even drink but I also smoke weed

I'll try to lay off so many in a day but my coworkers get to smoke at their desk which is the biggest temptation.

a step in the right direction! well done friend

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

RideTheSpiral posted:

a step in the right direction! well done friend

and good luck to you kind sir

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
time quitting smoking with a major lifestyle change like new job or new home

its p. easy if you break the habit op thanks

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
smoking weed will help with the oral fixation and blowing the smoke will make it feel like the real thing

source: ive literally smoked a cigarette like 8 times in my life and took a psychology class in my freshman year of high school

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

unlimited shrimp posted:

time quitting smoking with a major lifestyle change like new job or new home

its p. easy if you break the habit op thanks

quitting is easy but staying quit is hard because cigarettes are drat good son

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

vaping helped me, got it in my head to stop smoking last year and i ran out of cigs at xmas, tried using the patch but tried my mostly unused vape and havent smoked a cig since

i know its probly worse for me but i can go several hours without using the vape and poo poo at this point im pretty sure i could go without either, but why would i? i have a addictive personality and already gave up drinking and smoking now, too, gotta do something right?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

im pooping! posted:

vaping helped me, got it in my head to stop smoking last year and i ran out of cigs at xmas, tried using the patch but tried my mostly unused vape and havent smoked a cig since

i know its probly worse for me but i can go several hours without using the vape and poo poo at this point im pretty sure i could go without either, but why would i? i have a addictive personality and already gave up drinking and smoking now, too, gotta do something right?

I think vaping makes me short of breath. It's very unpleasant

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
vaping is retard chemicals

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

RideTheSpiral posted:

I think vaping makes me short of breath. It's very unpleasant

what about cigarettes

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

next time your thinking of smoking, try not smoking instead

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
i'm a little over 30 days quit and i've started grinding my teeth at night

i also don't have health insurance because i don't make enough money haha

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
start a bunch of small harmless side addictions like sex and coke but keep it on the weekends and nice and chill like

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 28, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it's highly unlikely you will actually beat this addiction. you should practice harm reduction and chew nicotine gum. I don't know if vaping has been well studied re: safety but it looks dumb so don't do that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I've somehow stopped smoking and managed to stay that way for the past two months. A friend of mine literally threw a pack of cigarettes at me and I had my girlfriend throw them in the trash and I took that trash out and while I thought about that pack for about an hour or two, I didn't smoke any and still haven't.

Have lots of sex and smoke weed and get fat, you'll be alright.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
smoking rules and hopefully ill die an incredibly painful death in 5 years when my lungs turn into burnt mashed potatoes

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

just vape e-liquids

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm out of cigs so I guess I'm quitting too. I don't get cravings unless I'm drunk.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

RideTheSpiral posted:

How often per week should I do this?

3 times a day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Before your meals, of course.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

here's an idea: go smoke an e-cig

that way you can get all of the cool stuff about smoking (nicotine) without all of the bad stuff about cigarettes (hosed up teeth, smell like poo poo, etc)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

you can pretend you're in the future and you're sucking a robot dong for vaporized jizz particles too, if that's your thing

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
assuming i had any money how do i smoke ecigs? dont you have to buy juice or whatever for them?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

RideTheSpiral posted:

is there another way to get to flavour country??

if you stop smoking youll start tasting things. this in a way is flavor country

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 28, 2015

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Business Gorillas posted:

here's an idea: go smoke an e-cig

that way you can get all of the cool stuff about smoking (nicotine) without all of the bad stuff about cigarettes (hosed up teeth, smell like poo poo, etc)

actually this is a common misconception. ecigs are actually extremely uncool and lame

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
get a good vape and some ecig liquid. it's all of the nicotine with none of the cancer and heart disease and poo poo. plus it doesn't stink up your car or clothes and you can sneakily do it p much anywhere because it doesn't stink. just make sure you get a good one that lets you adjust the voltage/wattage, if you get a cheap one it will suck and you won't use it.

also when you get a craving just light your hair on fire, no one ever thinks about smoking when they are on fire

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

actually this is a common misconception. ecigs are actually extremely uncool and lame

this is true but i'd rather look like a dumbass for 30 seconds while i toke robot dilz than smell like cigarettes and stink up my entire house

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

vaping makes you a huge fag, hth

Just accept your fate and smoke a cancer stick sheesh

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I know you said you don't want a nicotine addiction any more but you should try a vaporizer. Sure it looks like you're sucking off Robocop but it really helps and you can even buy liquid that doesn't have any nicotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

get a good vape and some ecig liquid. it's all of the nicotine with none of the cancer and heart disease and poo poo. plus it doesn't stink up your car or clothes and you can sneakily do it p much anywhere because it doesn't stink. just make sure you get a good one that lets you adjust the voltage/wattage, if you get a cheap one it will suck and you won't use it.

also when you get a craving just light your hair on fire, no one ever thinks about smoking when they are on fire

see i dont get this. why remain chemically dependent on nicotine if you quit smoking?

• Locked thread