Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Samsung Pay officially rolled out today for the 3 devices and like 2 banks that support it. If you happen have the right combination of devices and cards that you can successfully activate a card on it, Samsung is currently offering a promotion that lets you get a free case or wireless charger. So that's pretty cool, for the handful of people it applies to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My I ask, when it comes to an NFC payment option. Why are there so many other solutions instead of a standard, NFC = Same as Card Swipe by any loaded CC you put in your phone?

It's like any form of cable standard and even though none have taken off yet (like say USB 1/2) they keep trying to reinvent the wheel like it is something special yet a complete gigantic pain in the rear end that each service is only accepted at some places for some banks and some devices.

Just going to keep using a basic CC forever at this rate.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

EdEddnEddy posted:

My I ask, when it comes to an NFC payment option. Why are there so many other solutions instead of a standard, NFC = Same as Card Swipe by any loaded CC you put in your phone?

It's like any form of cable standard and even though none have taken off yet (like say USB 1/2) they keep trying to reinvent the wheel like it is something special yet a complete gigantic pain in the rear end that each service is only accepted at some places for some banks and some devices.

Just going to keep using a basic CC forever at this rate.
The big selling point of Samsung Pay is that beyond doing NFC, it can be used at pretty much any traditional card swipe terminal that doesn't require you fully inserting your card (e.g. gas stations or ATMs). The Note5/GS6/Edge/+ have a wire embedded in the phone that will emulate a traditional magnetic card swipe. All you have to do is hold your phone to the POS terminal, similar to NFC. They call it MST (magnetic secure transmission).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Because then essentially your phone would be broadcasting your credit card info. The solutions are complicated because in theory they're safer.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

-Inu- posted:

The big selling point of Samsung Pay is that beyond doing NFC, it can be used at pretty much any traditional card swipe terminal that doesn't require you fully inserting your card (e.g. gas stations or ATMs). The Note5/GS6/Edge/+ have a wire embedded in the phone that will emulate a traditional magnetic card swipe. All you have to do is hold your phone to the POS terminal, similar to NFC. They call it MST (magnetic secure transmission).

How in the heck does that work? Sends out a magnetic field from your phone to the reader?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

thisdude23 posted:

Cool. Are you running a stock rom out something different? Like I said, mine is getting sluggish and I want it to run a bit better.

I have found only 1 that I can suggest and that's the Goldfinger V9 S5 rom. This one is really fast, the whole thing is streamlined, wifi hotspot built-in along with tethering, it includes the ultra low power modes, etc.

If you already have your phone rooted, then you would just need to add a recovery software like TWRP or ClockWorkMod to be able to load custom roms.

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't updated with new download links, his links are dead right now.

If you want this rom I still have the file and I could see about hosting it somewhere, unless the OP comes back and updates his thread.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

EdEddnEddy posted:

How in the heck does that work? Sends out a magnetic field from your phone to the reader?
Yep. (That's the company Samsung bought and has integrated with Samsung Pay)

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

moolchaba posted:

I have found only 1 that I can suggest and that's the Goldfinger V9 S5 rom. This one is really fast, the whole thing is streamlined, wifi hotspot built-in along with tethering, it includes the ultra low power modes, etc.

If you already have your phone rooted, then you would just need to add a recovery software like TWRP or ClockWorkMod to be able to load custom roms.

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't updated with new download links, his links are dead right now.

If you want this rom I still have the file and I could see about hosting it somewhere, unless the OP comes back and updates his thread.

Awesome. I'm game. Yeah, I'm rooted but I'm pretty sure I could use an update. Maybe a Dropbox link? Thank you for your help.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

-Inu- posted:

Well, that'll be neat for another couple days or so until the EMV liability shift kicks in.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kreeblah posted:

Well, that'll be neat for another couple days or so until the EMV liability shift kicks in.

This doesn't actually mean what you think it means.

The liability shift just sticks the merchant with the bill if someone swipes a chip-enabled card for fraudulent purposes.

It doesn't require anyone to buy a new card reader.

It doesn't mean that the existing card readers will magically stop working.

All (or most) of the new EMV compliant card readers will still support magnetic swipe cards.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I know exactly what it means, but we're already seeing EMV cards be more commonly issued, and as soon as merchants (who are still generally unaware of the change) start getting stuck with fraud liability, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more EMV-capable readers around. And if you try to do a magnetic stripe transaction with an EMV-capable reader and an EMV-capable card, it'll tell you to use the EMV slot, meaning that things that try to clone your magnetic stripe data aren't going to work on those. This is the same reason why products like Coin are going to have more and more issues as time goes on.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Switching from an iPhone 5S to a 6S, I am able to utilize Sprint Spark. My LTE speeds tripled, both upload and download. Pretty impressive.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kreeblah posted:

I know exactly what it means, but we're already seeing EMV cards be more commonly issued, and as soon as merchants (who are still generally unaware of the change) start getting stuck with fraud liability, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more EMV-capable readers around. And if you try to do a magnetic stripe transaction with an EMV-capable reader and an EMV-capable card, it'll tell you to use the EMV slot, meaning that things that try to clone your magnetic stripe data aren't going to work on those. This is the same reason why products like Coin are going to have more and more issues as time goes on.

Can Samsung Pay fool the card swipe reader into thinking that it's not using an EMV token?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

And if you try to do a magnetic stripe transaction with an EMV-capable reader and an EMV-capable card, it'll tell you to use the EMV slot, ...
Samsung pay can use either mst or nfc transmission, so it can handle whatever the terminal has available, and they're also only allowing cards from banks/issuers with whom they have an agreement, to avoid exactly such compatibility issues.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

thisdude23 posted:

Awesome. I'm game. Yeah, I'm rooted but I'm pretty sure I could use an update. Maybe a Dropbox link? Thank you for your help.

Pmed you the link.

If you brick it, take that as a sign it's time to switch to Verizon.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone know if the Nexus 5X will be available from Sprint?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
edit:

never mind

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 30, 2015

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

So my new iPhone has Sprint Spark. (My 1st phone with it.) St Louis has it. Wow, what a difference. Getting some pretty kickass speeds. Even had decent data coverage at the Cardinals game Sunday. (Data used to be horrible at Busch Stadium.) After all those years feeling like a SERO second class citizen, this is pretty awesome.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Heads up for anyone that has an old Sprint phone laying around

http://www.cnet.com/news/got-a-sprint-phone-get-a-free-mobile-service-plan/

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Heads up #2: that deal came and went yesterday.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WoG posted:

Heads up #2: that deal came and went yesterday.

BAH I was gonna do it when I got home.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Harminoff posted:

this was yesterday :(

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Harminoff posted:

You son of a bitch. Got my hopes up! :(

(It's OK, I don't hate you that much :glomp: )

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boooo, I totally would've used that as a burner on my old Note II.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Freedom Pop is still a not too terrible option for your old Sprint devices.

I have my old EVO LTE signed up on their free plan for whatever use it may be needed for. It is some VoLTE sort of solution but hey, it works.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well poo poo I'm sorry, I blame google now for giving me outdated news in its feed.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

This seems both necessary and a really bad idea on Sprints part.

http://recode.net/2015/09/30/sprint-to-hike-unlimited-data-plan-costs-by-10-starting-oct-16/

As I type this my new 6S is getting between .86 and 1.92 Mbps down on LTE.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

GoatSeeGuy posted:

http://recode.net/2015/09/30/sprint-to-hike-unlimited-data-plan-costs-by-10-starting-oct-16/

Anyone know if my $50/mo SERO 500 plan is affected?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

This article seems to say it's only the $60 plan.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-hikes-its-unlimited-data-plan-by-10-to-70-a-month/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I pulled 46 Mbps yesterday.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nimper posted:

Can Samsung Pay fool the card swipe reader into thinking that it's not using an EMV token?

Whether a card has an EMV chip is encoded into the card's service code. For a chip-and-signature EMV card (like what most US banks are offering that have EMV cards), the service code is probably 201. I'm not actually sure what would happen if somebody were to edit that for a cloned card, though.

WoG posted:

Samsung pay can use either mst or nfc transmission, so it can handle whatever the terminal has available, and they're also only allowing cards from banks/issuers with whom they have an agreement, to avoid exactly such compatibility issues.

Right, but my surprise came from them specifically building in special support for magstripe cloning.

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. So, they get info from the bank as to whether it's an EMV card or not? That makes a lot more sense, then.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 1, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
So when I was activating my iPhone 6S Plus I asked about sending my phone back and they said I could take it to the store instead of waiting for the shipping label. I went to the store to do that and they had my call Sprint in order to request they make a note on the account because they don't normally do that.

Phone support said they would ship me the return kit, and offered me the $50 iPhone plan as a consolation for the trouble.

So is being on the $50 iPhone plan better than getting the phone lease reduced from loyalty credits? It doesn't seem I can get both. I think the end price is pretty close.
I think it might be nice to be on for the future if I ever decide to not lease my phone anymore. I still get $7/month cheaper for returning a phone, and I think my AAA 7% discount.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there a good map of NYC sprint coverage? I feel like my data speeds are consistently all over the place no matter where I go.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a good map of NYC sprint coverage? I feel like my data speeds are consistently all over the place no matter where I go.

I doubt that has anything to do with coverage and is probably just network congestion.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've been all over the place on the east coast with sprint and the coverage is about the most spotty and inconsistent bullshit I've ever experienced. How service can be so poo poo in major cities like baltimore, dc, and nyc boggles me. After "using" sprint for a few years now, I wouldn't recommend the provider to anyone.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Feral Integral posted:

I've been all over the place on the east coast with sprint and the coverage is about the most spotty and inconsistent bullshit I've ever experienced. How service can be so poo poo in major cities like baltimore, dc, and nyc boggles me. After "using" sprint for a few years now, I wouldn't recommend the provider to anyone.

Yeah, I was just in DC and coverage and speeds were terrible there. My home market is great, but that was ugly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Sprint decided not to participate in the spectrum auction again! They are losing a lot of money and cutting costs, so it's understandable, but... I just want LTE indoors. :(

Coverage on LTE was good for about a year where I"m at, then got a little spotty, and continued to slowly go downhill. I can barely get signal indoors at work, now, and they sent out a nice little "Network Improvements are complete!" message like 6 months ago. Near the college campus coverage is awesome, but that's also a place I can get free wi-fi connected to a massive fiber backbone.

I just realized I'm only using about 4 gigs every month. I'm sure I'd use more if I had good coverage indoors-- I stream music at work and it's a frustrating experience. I can't recommend Sprint to anybody, either. It's just not worth the cash where I live. Once my contract is up I'm seriously thinking about Cricket. (Or AT&T, since my work phone is on that and it's never not had good coverage.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

effika posted:

Sprint decided not to participate in the spectrum auction again! They are losing a lot of money and cutting costs, so it's understandable, but... I just want LTE indoors. :(

Coverage on LTE was good for about a year where I"m at, then got a little spotty, and continued to slowly go downhill. I can barely get signal indoors at work, now, and they sent out a nice little "Network Improvements are complete!" message like 6 months ago. Near the college campus coverage is awesome, but that's also a place I can get free wi-fi connected to a massive fiber backbone.

I just realized I'm only using about 4 gigs every month. I'm sure I'd use more if I had good coverage indoors-- I stream music at work and it's a frustrating experience. I can't recommend Sprint to anybody, either. It's just not worth the cash where I live. Once my contract is up I'm seriously thinking about Cricket. (Or AT&T, since my work phone is on that and it's never not had good coverage.)

Sprint is having major budget cuts. Honestly, I think they're just hosed. Years of not being profitable plus the WiMAX at 2500MHz frequency and Nextel poo poo just all took its toll.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/10/sprint-continues-decline-plans-job-cuts-and-cost-cuts-of-2-5-billion/

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Verizon's getting mad at Sprint for constantly leaning on them for roaming too.
http://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2015/08/verizon-sprint-should-build-out-its-own-network-rural-areas

quote:

Verizon says Sprint needs to buck up and build out its own network in rural areas rather than asking the FCC to consider changing its rules with regards to acceptable roaming rates.

In an ex parte filing with the FCC, Verizon said Sprint was relying on "tired arguments" as part of a campaign to achieve "artificially low roaming so it can avoid building out its own network."

Verizon is asking the FCC to reject Sprint's proposals and maintain its current roaming policies, which Verizon argues encourage carriers to expand their own networks.

Verizon contends that Sprint is relying a business model that sees it invest most of its capital in high-return urban areas, while providing a "lowest cost service" in rural and suburban areas where it doesn't have coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of moving off of Sprint... When I request a domestic unlock for my wife's iPhone 5s, do I have to be ready to port it out right away or can I get it done way ahead of time?