Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I mean he's called 'The Strongest Creature Alive' while Whiteboard was known as the Strongest Man in the World. That's gotta be a big shoe-in for a fruit ability, Oda loves cramming in clues any chance he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Kaido has the demon demon fruit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jose posted:

i mean if he really wanted to kill himself he could surely drown himself devil fruit or no so who knows.

it would be cool if that title was because all his crew had zoan fruits though

What if he doesn't need to breathe?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kaido is just mega huge from doing so many push-ups

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450775543"]
Kaido has the demon demon fruit.

He transforms into Akuma, works for me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

I hope whenever it gets around to Mihawk's fight that he's just really loving strong and that's it

I'd assume that as a given. I mean, Zoro is walking his path, for a start.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd assume that as a given. I mean, Zoro is walking his path, for a start.

I know and this is what I think it'll end up being which is cool, because I've been waiting forever for Mihawk to do a thing and the day it happens I will be there for the Viz release of it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baal posted:

I hope whenever it gets around to Mihawk's fight that he's just really loving strong and that's it

this is absolutely the case like almost all swordsmen we've seen in the series

kaidou could be half giant or something hence the strongest creature

edit: bit late on that mihawk bit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Did Ryuma not have a devil fruit? It's been a while since I've read Thriller Bark but I thought some swordsmen here and there did have fruit powers. I mean I wanna say Daz Bones, but that dude is an actual sword man so I don't think he counts.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Parrotine posted:

He transforms into Akuma, works for me

Well theres the model: Daibutsu fruit.
Maybe Kaido has the Model: Fudo fruit.

That would be really cool actually.

Baal posted:

Did Ryuma not have a devil fruit? It's been a while since I've read Thriller Bark but I thought some swordsmen here and there did have fruit powers. I mean I wanna say Daz Bones, but that dude is an actual sword man so I don't think he counts.

Nope: All of the characters that use swords and have a devil fruit use their fruit powers much more than their sword(s), Kaku excluded but that was just him trying to show up Zoro at his own game.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 28, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baal posted:

he was brooks shadow put into the corpse of a famous swordsman

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's right, I should probably reread One Piece so I can remember things, but I'd end up collecting the Viz stuff to do that which would take a while.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

this is absolutely the case like almost all swordsmen we've seen in the series

kaidou could be half giant or something hence the strongest creature

edit: bit late on that mihawk bit

You see the shape of his mouth in the latest chapter? Guy totally has some Oars family blood in him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nope: All of the characters that use swords and have a devil fruit use their fruit powers much more than their sword(s), Kaku excluded but that was just him trying to show up Zoro at his own game.

Not quite true: Kinemon is a swordsman with a non-combat Devil Fruit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

You see the shape of his mouth in the latest chapter? Guy totally has some Oars family blood in him.

other than avalo pizarro does anyone else introduced have horns? his are a bit of a different style though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well theres the model: Daibutsu fruit.
Maybe Kaido has the Model: Fudo fruit.

That would be really cool actually.

Hm, that's actually pretty cool

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Kaidou has an army of artificial zoan users, so that might be enough to call him "Kaidou of the beasts". He could be called 'creature' because he's 20 feet tall and has horns, and his hobby is attempting suicide. Not everyone needs a Devil's Fruit, not even to inevitably fight Luffy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It'll turn out that Mihawk is actually just some nerd who happened to eat the Swordsman Swordsman fruit

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Speaking of strong dudes with no fruit, there is always Shanks, who we know for sure didn't have one at the start of the manga.

I mean, I GUESS he could have ate one since, but I doubt it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it'll be really bad if we don't get to see garp or rayleigh fight properly at some point

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Jose posted:

he was brooks shadow put into the corpse of a famous swordsman

That was a pretty kickin fight now that I think about it. Short too, and I think Zoro lit his sword on fire or something?

One of those super moves he's never pulled out of his bag of tricks since then

KoB
May 1, 2009
zoro is cool because he fights dudes and then puts on his rad bandeezy and lays them out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

enies lobby's power levels was really bad

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Baal posted:

Daz Bones also gets really insulted if you call him a Swordsman. He's a martial artist who happens to have eaten the 'Blade Blade' Fruit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If he doesn't want to be called a sword man then maybe he shouldn't be made of swords

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

The "being able to steal other users' Devil Fruits" is because he has an atypical body structure, not because of the Yami Yami no Mi.

Actually in the english translated version by Viz I have, the line just says he has a strange body which is probably referring to the fact that his Darkness Fruit made his body stranger than other logia fruits Marco had seen.

Fact of the matter is Blackbeard wanted the darkness fruit for a reason and the plans he made were based off getting it, he even states he would've given up on them if he never found it, so it's almost certain that the darkness fruit is the reason why he can steal powers.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I hope that Kaido has a seemingly non threatening devil fruit that turns out to be insanely badass... for example Kaku.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Baal posted:

If he doesn't want to be called a sword man then maybe he shouldn't be made of swords

His blood is of iron and his heart of glass
He survived through countless battles
Not even once retreating
Not even once being understood
He was always alone
Intoxicated with victory in a hill of swords
Thus, his life has no meaning
That body was certainly made out of swords

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Zoan fruit Ancient Ones class: model Cthulhu

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Asuron posted:

Actually in the english translated version by Viz I have, the line just says he has a strange body which is probably referring to the fact that his Darkness Fruit made his body stranger than other logia fruits Marco had seen.

Fact of the matter is Blackbeard wanted the darkness fruit for a reason and the plans he made were based off getting it, he even states he would've given up on them if he never found it, so it's almost certain that the darkness fruit is the reason why he can steal powers.

I see. I have only been able to read this series through... less than legal methods, so I didn't know about that.

Either way, I think we can all agree that running contrary to established facts and expectations is a reoccuring theme with Blackbeard. (No bounty like the other priates, has a Devil Fruit with different rules than expected of its type, a man bearing the initial of D who shows cowardice in the face of death, etc.)

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

Going by the Finnish translation, it's implied that Blackbeard's abnormal condition is somewhat known among the Whitebeard pirates. Marco's line is "as you know, Teach is not quite ordinary... He is built slightly differently than others". Only Teach seemed to recognize the darkness fruit back when the WB crew found it, and they only saw him using its ability for the first time in Marineford, which I think would be too brief a moment for even Marco to make that kind of judgement about its power. I'm fairly convinced that the darkness fruit has something to do with the power stealing ability, but I think it's the combination of "weird body + DF power" that really allows him to do it.

I'm suddenly reminded of the Ace/Blackbeard duel where BB claimed that the darkness ability chose him. Back then I figured it to be a flimsy justification for killing Thatch, but what if it was an actual hint that there's something about Blackbeard that would allow him to use the power to a fuller potential than the average dude could?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I'm sure Blackbeard has a bounty by now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i miss jinbei

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I love this thread. I love this series.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The Darkness Fruit is a somewhat known quantity in OPverse. The reason Blackbeard knew about it is because It has an entry in the book of Devil Fruits.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Parrotine posted:

Nah, I ain't buying it. He's known as Kaidou of the Beasts, it'd be weird of he was the only dude who had no fruit.

I feel like the only dude who shouldn't have a fruit is Roger or something

He just does amazing animal noises. Like, sound effects guy from Police Academy level.

oddium posted:

i miss jinbei

I don't miss him half as much as I miss those happy, happy whale sharks.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm really against the theory that Blackbeard can take 2 fruits because of his 'atypical body'. I'm sure it's just referring to his fruit ability cause it's meta as gently caress to have your abilty to be take away all other abilities.

And maybe stealing a 2nd fruit power is Blackbeard's fruit's awakening???

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 29, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I want more fruit that just do weird and random things instead of more animals and "made of this" logia and paramecia so I'm hoping Kaidou has some gimmicky thing related to death that maybe transcends drowning? I dunno, it'd also be cool if he were just fruitless and brutally strong and not a devil fruit user despite amassing an army of artificial ones

The talk of tiny Devils inside of people that sometimes happens in the manga throws me off cuz it reminds me of the great series Dorohedoro

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 29, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How many more posts till we get to the Blackbeard Cerebus fruit theory, take your bets ladies and gents

EDIT: Dorohedoro is pimp, Kaido's fruit turns him into En

White Light fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Parrotine posted:

How many more posts till we get to the Blackbeard Cerebus fruit theory, take your bets ladies and gents

Minus one, as of this post.