Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mira posted:

Nadine Gordimer is incredible. It's a shame people tend to overlook her as a prose stylist because of her activism.

I didn;t think it was possible to overlook the writing of a Nobel Laureate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Naw, I just meant that I feel as if more people don't appreciate her for her language.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I got ya. I picked up Burger's daughter last year along with a Thiong'o novel but haven't had the time to fit either in.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
"The God of Small Things" was excellent, I read that a few months ago and flat out loved it.

And yeah, I've been holding off on that Ferrante because 1) the covers and 2) when I looked up news stories about her, all I saw was stories about the release of the latest book and how bookstores were planning wine parties for women who said "THE CHARACTERS ARE JUST LIKE ME AND MY FRIENDS"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

news coverage locally is the main reason I have never read a single novel by Knausgård

it seems he's getting a lot of attention from literary circles internationally though, so I should probably get to it eventually. his latest work sounds interesting

e: thanks for the new tips on the previous page too. I'll scribble'em down in my list

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chamberk posted:

And yeah, I've been holding off on that Ferrante because 1) the covers and 2) when I looked up news stories about her, all I saw was stories about the release of the latest book and how bookstores were planning wine parties for women who said "THE CHARACTERS ARE JUST LIKE ME AND MY FRIENDS"

It's superficial as hell but this is why I have been dragging my feet on reading Austen. Jane Austen has become this weird literal industry recently and it's hard for me to separate the text from the obnoxious culture it has spawned.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

ulvir posted:

not that much left of 2015 now, and I'm noticing that my reading list is hella male-centric to boot. Apart from Sylvia Plath, any other female authors I should bump up in my reading queue?

Anaïs Nin
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's superficial as hell but this is why I have been dragging my feet on reading Austen. Jane Austen has become this weird literal industry recently and it's hard for me to separate the text from the obnoxious culture it has spawned.

she's fun, read Emma until the last 20 pages or so and imagine your own ending instead of the author's

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

There's a Borges story called The Library of Babel where a guy explains the Library which is a series of interlocking hexagons which you can move through and every hexagon has 4 walls with bookshelves on and each bookshelf has 5 shelves and each shelf has 32 books on and each book has 410 pages and each page has 40 lines and each line is a random combination of about 80 letters and people move through the Library trying to find actual coherent books that say things and the story is really great.

Anyway, someone made it https://libraryofbabel.info/browse.cgi

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

thanks, I'll check'em out.

I'm a bit biased against genre fiction, but if you've a specific recommendation I'll give her a shot at some point.

The Female Man is really good.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
Do you read poetry, or is that only for the poetry megathread?
Because poetry is literature.Its also super existing, thus real. But i don't see any of that here, just narrative reading people. Not even theatre.

If we're allowed to, i want to say the book hara kiri (Bertoni) is good.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

unao posted:

Because poetry is literature.Its also super existing, thus real. But i don't see any of that here, just narrative reading people. Not even theatre.

If we're allowed to, i want to say the book hara kiri (Bertoni) is good.

*gestures out the window* as you can see, friend, the state of the subforum is such that there's simply too many people talking about poetry and theater for us to combine the threads

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ulvir posted:

not that much left of 2015 now, and I'm noticing that my reading list is hella male-centric to boot. Apart from Sylvia Plath, any other female authors I should bump up in my reading queue?

lydia davis, lorrie moore, cynthia ozick, joan didion

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mira posted:

Naw, I just meant that I feel as if more people don't appreciate her for her language.

I didn't know much about her until I started The Pickup and it was the language that drew me in, just an excellent start to a novel and couldn't put it down. (also it's a short read)

unao posted:

I'm pretty sure we have discussed some poetry, and we have definitely discussed theatre in here . In any case yes I enjoy poetry and I'm sure several others here do as well.

If you want to discuss poetry in this thread, go right ahead, no one is stopping you from doing so and that would probably be more interesting than whining about it not being discussed.

Chamberk posted:

"The God of Small Things" was excellent, I read that a few months ago and flat out loved it.

If you are into non-fiction, she also has a very good book called Walking With the Comrades in which Roy has embedded herself into a group of Maoist guerrillas fighting against mining companies (and their government collaborators) in Orissa. Depressing but also inspiring, very recommend.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 27, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

There was a poetry thread but I think it died a death because I said I liked Wordsworth.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

With that in mind: I went to the woods the other day and listened to birds in trees and read The Brothers by Wordsworth and it was great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How were the tree-birds?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

How were the tree-birds?
I hosed them up.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mr. Squishy posted:

How were the tree-birds?

More like POO-tee-weet

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

How were the tree-birds?

They were very pleasant and nice to listen to as I contemplated how the first part of the poem was basically calling me out for exactly what I was doing at the time (sitting in a nature place and hoping for inspiration). I also saw a lot of pheasants but they weren't in trees, they were on teh floor.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

CestMoi posted:

There was a poetry thread but I think it died a death because I said I liked Wordsworth.
"Old Man Travelling; Animal Tranquillity and Decay, a Sketch" is cool and is one of my favorite poims probably (the 1798 version of it)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Incident by Countee Cullen is the best poem and Cuadrados y Angulos by Alfonsina Storni the second best

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i like omeros

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
if it;s not by Taliesin I don't give a gently caress

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Incident by Countee Cullen is the best poem and Cuadrados y Angulos by Alfonsina Storni the second best

Your trolling of this thread is getting out of hand.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Your trolling of this thread is getting out of hand.

Sorry you can't handle elite-tier art

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Grimson posted:

"Old Man Travelling; Animal Tranquillity and Decay, a Sketch" is cool and is one of my favorite poims probably (the 1798 version of it)

It is good, but there are much better poems, both in Lyrical Ballads, and in the oeuvres of all the poets.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sorry you can't handle elite-tier art

and every single one of your posts is a calculated troll of those of use who just wish to post about good books.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

If someone doesn't like 'A slumber did my spirit seal' then gently caress em, tbh

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

and every single one of your posts is a calculated troll of those of use who just wish to post about good books.

why did you click on my profile and post history

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

why did you click on my profile and post history

I was convinced you'd written a long post about surrealist writers and I went looking through your posts to try and find it but it turned out to be a completely different person

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Still not sure how liking Countee Cullen and Alfonsina Storni is trolling tbh

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

I was convinced you'd written a long post about surrealist writers and I went looking through your posts to try and find it but it turned out to be a completely different person

Not a fan of surrealism, personally

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I just bought the complete stories of Kafka. I'm ready for a German satirical adventure!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

What should I read after If on a winter's night a traveler?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Music Theory posted:

What should I read after If on a winter's night a traveler?

As in more Calvino or something similar?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As in more Calvino or something similar?

Either would be cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Music Theory posted:

Either would be cool.

Invisible Cities is the other best Calvino.

Cloud Atlas has a similar gimmick.

Ummm, I don't know who has a similar style.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Mel makes some pretty good recommendations but his frank nature is easy to take as trolling.

I've been reading through the books everybody recommend - The Gone Away World was pretty good and I got my brother a copy of it for his birthday, The Secret History was incredible and I'm now going to read all of Donna Tartt's novels and Carry the One was a great read, it really reminded me of Franzen. I'm currently reading I Am Radar and it reminds me a lot of Chabon's style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Invisible Cities is the other best Calvino.

Cloud Atlas has a similar gimmick.

Ummm, I don't know who has a similar style.

These look good; thanks. (Although I still want to hear Mel's recommendations)