Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MC Hawking posted:

I'm with you 100% man. The only way I could ever see actually using biometrics for logins is if that poo poo is stored locally on the device in some sort of electronic equivalent of a bomb shelter.

That's pretty much how Apple does it, the biometrics run on a second tiny embedded processor which has exclusive access to the sensor and stored data, so even with total control of the main CPU you can only ask "Match? Yes/No" and not see the specifics.

Hopefully Qualcomm were equally thorough with their isolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

I'm with you 100% man. The only way I could ever see actually using biometrics for logins is if that poo poo is stored locally on the device in some sort of electronic equivalent of a bomb shelter. A physical chip on the die whose only duty is to store your fingerprint and doesn't communicate with anything but the sensor. The second you hit the "oops I lost my phone, please wipe" it wipes your fingerprint. But hey, while I'm wishing for poo poo, I'd also like a caramel root beer float and a foot massage.

:tinfoil:

Edit: Apparently Endless Mike already knows what's up. I'd be somewhat comfortable with that, but still more than mildly dubious that information isn't backed up to Da Cloud.
Unless Apple is outright lying, everything you've described is how Touch ID on iPhones works.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Holy crap, Google Store support is terrible. The dying charger that I was trying to have replaced two days ago has now cost me almost 3 hours total, 4 separate calls over the course of 3 days and I still don't have this poo poo resolved.

On the second phone call, the tech said that it was no big deal, and that he'd issue an RMA for the charger, and that I would be receiving an email with instructions. I got the email and clicked through, and the RMA was for the entire phone, which they were going to replace with a refurb. That's retarded, because my phone works fine, and I don't want to deal with switching phones, especially for no good reason. I called back and I was told that they can't just send out a charger, so they have to send me a whole phone. I asked if when it arrived, if I can just take the charger and send back the refurb/replacement phone and keep my original phone. They had to transfer me to a supervisor who told me that no, I can't keep my perfectly fine phone and just send the refurb back, I have to use the refurb and send mine back.

After another call, I eventually ended up being transferred to their "shipping department," who says that they're going to refund my credit card for the cost of a charger and that I can go out and buy a new charger on my own. But even that is going to take them several days to set up and several days after that for the refund to go through. Apparently they will :airquote:be in touch:airquote:.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How is the leather back on the Moto X Pure Edition?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Where is the best place and brand to buy a glass screen protector? It's for a Z3c.

Also are there any decent cases for the Z3c? Seems like the flaps would prevent using a case.

Any Sony Z3c owners?

Regarding the unlock chat can you just buy Nfc tags and use those?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mnemosyne posted:

Holy crap, Google Store support is terrible. The dying charger that I was trying to have replaced two days ago has now cost me almost 3 hours total, 4 separate calls over the course of 3 days and I still don't have this poo poo resolved.

On the second phone call, the tech said that it was no big deal, and that he'd issue an RMA for the charger, and that I would be receiving an email with instructions. I got the email and clicked through, and the RMA was for the entire phone, which they were going to replace with a refurb. That's retarded, because my phone works fine, and I don't want to deal with switching phones, especially for no good reason. I called back and I was told that they can't just send out a charger, so they have to send me a whole phone. I asked if when it arrived, if I can just take the charger and send back the refurb/replacement phone and keep my original phone. They had to transfer me to a supervisor who told me that no, I can't keep my perfectly fine phone and just send the refurb back, I have to use the refurb and send mine back.

After another call, I eventually ended up being transferred to their "shipping department," who says that they're going to refund my credit card for the cost of a charger and that I can go out and buy a new charger on my own. But even that is going to take them several days to set up and several days after that for the refund to go through. Apparently they will :airquote:be in touch:airquote:.
Who RMAs a phone charger? Go buy one you bum.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Honestly I had no idea the charger/cable was even covered by any warranty. Refunding you the cost of the charger is a decent solution and totally reasonable for a product that isn't sold separately.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm desperate to get away from Samsung, I want a Z3c or some generation of the Z compact anyway, haven't had much luck tracking one down. Someone locally is selling an original Z for very cheap but says it wont connect to wifi. I feel this is something I can probably fix myself, or was this a known issue?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

ilkhan posted:

Who RMAs a phone charger? Go buy one you bum.

After spending $1,400 for two N6, I kinda feel like I shouldn't have to purchase another $35 charger 4 months down the line.

uPen posted:

Honestly I had no idea the charger/cable was even covered by any warranty. Refunding you the cost of the charger is a decent solution and totally reasonable for a product that isn't sold separately.

It's a OK solution. Except that it's taken me 4 phone calls and 3 hours to even get to that point. And the Google Store does sell them separately, so I don't even know what the problem is.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

After spending $1,400 for two N6, I kinda feel like I shouldn't have to purchase another $35 charger 4 months down the line.

what phone chargers are you buying that's $35 a pop? I just bought 2 new turbo chargers to go along with my Pure and they were 15 bucks each.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

axeil posted:

what phone chargers are you buying that's $35 a pop? I just bought 2 new turbo chargers to go along with my Pure and they were 15 bucks each.

The OEM ones from Google/Moto are $35, though there's periodically a groupon/sale/whatever on them for about $10 each. That and the selection of good ones for $15 from Amazon makes buying the OEM one a silly choice.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

Someone locally is selling an original Z for very cheap but says it wont connect to wifi. I feel this is something I can probably fix myself,

This sounds like a horrible idea.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can regularly get the Anker QC 2.0 charger for about $15.99 off amazon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

If you spent $700 on a Nexus 6, twice, you can probably afford $15 for a replacement charger.

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than your time at this point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How the gently caress do the new Nexuses not have Qi charging? God drat, gently caress plugging your phone in like a caveman. Any good vanilla-like phones released recently with Qi or am I going to be keeping my N5 for another year?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

How the gently caress do the new Nexuses not have Qi charging? God drat, gently caress plugging your phone in like a caveman. Any good vanilla-like phones released recently with Qi or am I going to be keeping my N5 for another year?

Aluminium unibodies probably do something like soak up the current and turn it into heat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's fine, don't make them out for aluminum then.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's fine, don't make them out for aluminum then.

The alternatives would be plastic and glass (maybe wood but that's probably a cost decision) and people have complained just as much about the lack of metal in the past. You want a premium-build-qualiy phone with a unibody? Fine, the tradeoff is wireless charging.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I was happy with the plastic.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

bull3964 posted:

You can regularly get the Anker QC 2.0 charger for about $15.99 off amazon.

I got mine for $8.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

I was happy with the plastic.

Plastic's fine as long as nobody's under the illusion that their $400 phone is supposed to hold $700 build quality.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can't put an 810 in a plastic body the whole thing will melt

Going to buy it anyway

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, is Qualcomm's 808 that much of an improvement over the 805? The biggest differences seems to be the modem and 64-bit vs. 32-bit architecture.

Because aside from the N5X's sensor (I don't care), the Nexus 6 is stupid cheap affordable right now.

And the N5X doesn't even have Gorilla Glass 4.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 29, 2015

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Seems the year of the skip is real. And I can't wait to see the annual Google Store woes and backorders when the new Nexus is released.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FAUXTON posted:

Plastic's fine as long as nobody's under the illusion that their $400 phone is supposed to hold $700 build quality.

There are actual premium structural plastics. They'll just make your phone take a premium price as easily as a mag body or whatever will.

And yeah, Google seems like they're ceding the entire phone season to Apple this time around and it's weird.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife agreed to get a 6p if it's no more than $500 Cdn... which it probably won't be?

I'm still surprised she's ok with the size of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Android Pay completely locks up if you don't have a valid credit/debit card.

My bank switched over to a chip card and the grandfathered card no longer works. Now, since I don't have a card, Android Pay completely locks me out of the multiple loyalty cards I already had stored in just because I can't add my other card.

Welp. :v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like Android Pay completely locks up if you don't have a valid credit/debit card.

My bank switched over to a chip card and the grandfathered card no longer works. Now, since I don't have a card, Android Pay completely locks me out of the multiple loyalty cards I already had stored in just because I can't add my other card.

Welp. :v:

I just got hit by this when I tried to go spend some movie theater reward points.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm with you, no Qi means no sale. Not only would all of my Qi chargers be useless but because of the move to type C all of my cables are as well. I don't care about the fingerprint reader anyway so I'll just sit this round out.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'm in a bit of dilemma. I am not hugely impressed by any of the new android phones. I'd vastly prefer to stay with a nexus device for updates primarily. I also like my Tylt Vu, although I would settle for a phone without Qi as long as it has USB Type C or at a minimum, turbo charging.
The 5X also seems like it will be a pile of hot garbage in Australia unless the FCC leaks are outright wrong. I'd just keep my N5 for now but the screen is so badly cracked, the only thing holding the display together is a screen protector. While it remains, surprisingly, 100% functional I doubt this will hold for too much longer. To repair the N5, it will cost me $180+ and I don't trust a phone that was dropped at 35mph to survive much longer, even with a replaced screen. I've been looking at the new Moto X's but I'm not terribly sold on any of them. The other option is the old N6 which might have to just get me to the next wave of phones worth buying but obviously I'd prefer to buy something decent that will get me the 18 months I'd like.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Here I was fretting over the 2GB on the 5X and the 3GB on the 6P, when I reminded myself that these phones don't have dedicated graphics memory and that the display and intermediary surfaces of the 6P are 80% bigger, probably gobbling up much of that additional RAM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Unimaginative posted:

There are actual premium structural plastics. They'll just make your phone take a premium price as easily as a mag body or whatever will.

And yeah, Google seems like they're ceding the entire phone season to Apple this time around and it's weird.

But try convincing the hordes of wish-it-was-apple angry manchildren that plastic has benefits over aluminium.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So are we saying the 5X is metal? Because all the renders look very much like plastic to me.

I can accept the premium-looking 6P being metal and giving up Qi but it's a real shame to see it missing from the 5X.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FAUXTON posted:

The alternatives would be plastic and glass (maybe wood but that's probably a cost decision) and people have complained just as much about the lack of metal in the past. You want a premium-build-qualiy phone with a unibody? Fine, the tradeoff is wireless charging.

Aluminium is just a bad material for portable electronics in my opinion - slippery, soft, easily dented & scratched, does not let radio / Qi through.

The 6P is just aping the big iPhone.

I care zero what material my phone is made of, if it's going to be made of ultra slippery material, it will be in a case anyway, so I only interact with the glass screen.

The current iPhone models are un-useable without a case imo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FAUXTON posted:

Apparently it is possible but who knows when it'll be available or what the caveats are

quote:

WiPower, as well as other technologies that meet the Rezence standard, operate at a frequency that is more tolerant of metal objects that come within the charge field. Up to now, this meant one could typically have objects such as keys and coins in the charge field and not affect the charging process. Today, WiPower has added the ability to have the device itself made of metal. This advancement maintains WiPower’s existing ability to charge devices requiring up to 22 watts today, at speeds equal to or faster when compared to other wireless charging technologies.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

wooger posted:

Aluminium is just a bad material for portable electronics in my opinion - slippery, soft, easily dented & scratched, does not let radio / Qi through.

The 6P is just aping the big iPhone.

I care zero what material my phone is made of, if it's going to be made of ultra slippery material, it will be in a case anyway, so I only interact with the glass screen.

The current iPhone models are un-useable without a case imo.

I completely agree with you. I have the note 5 and I could not care less about the glass back. It's nice to have a pretty phone but I've always loved the matte black rubbery plastic of previous nexuses and getting rid of QI function in the name of form seems like a very dumb move.

If that is the case. I don't know why phones are made the way they are or the decisions involved.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
drat it, the 5x is bigger than my S6.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Premature ejacula- posted:

The other option is the old N6 which might have to just get me to the next wave of phones worth buying but obviously I'd prefer to buy something decent that will get me the 18 months I'd like.

Given Google's recommitment to support for Nexus devices, the N6 will be supported for another 18-24 months.

Speaking of, where is the best place to buy a new N6?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Neither phone looks compelling to me. Boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I was waiting for the N5X given my 5 year unbroken trend of nexii, but other than the fingerprint sensor the hardware doesn't change in the direction I'd like.

I guess I'm going with the MotoX Play for the huge battery and external storage.