Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Borland just finished his catte playthrough it's not his fault he thinks crocs are the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Dr Cheeto posted:

You sound like a skink, Borland. Always "meritocracy" this and "power to the people" that.

Its "devour the people" Not "power to the people."

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
skinks aren't people :colbert:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Update
The last page reassembled (312):

We're going right after those robots, because of reasons. The bad news is that those guys are gone. Regardless of whether they've been killed or not (and they probably have), Caiman society demands that someone lay claim to those empty bridge titles. Even if those poor bastards got back on board they'd be finished as officers.
But anyway, revenge is a dish best served cold-blooded. Turning to 43:

This will cost 50 energy. There's no point spending less - if we chose to be economical then the Ganymed would get away and we might not get to robocide their entire species with a computer virus. We turn to 165, just in time for the Battle at Arich:

Since we were in the Forge for another day I deducted another 10 ENERGY and rolled on the radiation chart (adding one for the rad leak). We just got another leak, luckily. It's +2 to radiation rolls from now on. There's no need to bother with a crapulence check because almost all the crew are dead.

I blocked off the Ganymed's stats because we need to pick a replacement crew before we duke it out. If you don't have any preferences then I'll shuffle the deck and pick randomly. We have to be a little careful from now on! The Caiman deck starts with 15 senior officers and 5 valets, and we've lost 6 crew and a valet already. This isn't the disaster it would be for other races because Caimen can go into any bridge position. Still, we can't keep up this rate of crew loss for a lot longer.

We need a Weapons, Shields, Navigation and Engineering officer.

Here's our manifest and map:

-------

DmitriX posted:

:objection:
The evidence contradicts your testimony!
You claimed that that so-called "Steve" ripped off all the parts with decisions on them. Yet, by looking at the pages you scanned we can clearly see all the decisions NOT related to our current run to be perfectly intact!
Even more suspiciously every ripped part in this book, as well as the previous one, was always from the bottom of the page, never top or middle. It is therefore obvious, that your explanation is faulty and more importantly, and worryingly, that means you are hiding something from us.
Out with it!

Well, you caught me out. Life's a hard thing and what most people do to get from one side of the day to the other doesn't usually bear scrutinising, so I was hoping you'd be decent enough not to poke too many holes in my story. But here we are, so I'll come clean. (spoilered for tale of woe):
You might remember me buying a copy of the Bastard Elf from Two-Fisted Steve for an obscene amount of money. Steve runs the second-hand 2FF market with two iron fists as he's usually the only one with any copies of the more popular books. When he found out that I wanted his only copy of Void Racers he refused to sell it to me for any amount - instead he's the one that actually still has the book. Knowing what the book and these LPs mean to me he's the one scanning in the pages - I have to call him every day to tell him what page we've picked, he rips off the numbers we want to look at and then charges me to scan in the complete page. It's usually about £5 a page but he's talking about upping his rate again. I'd stop but he tells me he'll send me the book once the LP's complete and also if I have to stop this LP I'll have nothing left in my life. My old lady left me because she said I love these books more than I loved her and I didn't disagree. I've been impoverished by the divorce, medical costs from the damage the Bastard Elf did to my hand and buying the other Two-Fisted Fantasy novels that no one wanted to play (Cocksmith and Skytrap Temple) has left me destitute and I've sold everything but my books, my scanner, my computer and a blanket I spread on the floor. To pay Steve I often miss out on meals and sometimes rent. At least I had my pride but even that you had to rip away from me.
And now you've heard my shameful tale, let's go on with the LP!

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 28, 2015

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Now this is a goon with his priorities in order

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
DmitriX I hope you're happy. Look at what Gilganixon goes through for us.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

DmitriX posted:

:objection:
The evidence contradicts your testimony!
You claimed that that so-called "Steve" ripped off all the parts with decisions on them. Yet, by looking at the pages you scanned we can clearly see all the decisions NOT related to our current run to be perfectly intact!
Even more suspiciously every ripped part in this book, as well as the previous one, was always from the bottom of the page, never top or middle. It is therefore obvious, that your explanation is faulty and more importantly, and worryingly, that means you are hiding something from us.
Out with it!

Gilganixon posted:

You might remember me buying a copy of the Bastard Elf from Two-Fisted Steve for an obscene amount of money. Steve runs the second-hand 2FF market with two iron fists as he's usually the only one with any copies of the more popular books. When he found out that I wanted his only copy of Void Racers he refused to sell it to me for any amount - instead he's the one that actually still has the book. Knowing what the book and these LPs mean to me he's the one scanning in the pages - I have to call him every day to tell him what page we've picked, he rips off the numbers we want to look at and then charges me to scan in the complete page. It's usually about £5 a page but he's talking about upping his rate again. I'd stop but he tells me he'll send me the book once the LP's complete and also if I have to stop this LP I'll have nothing left in my life. My old lady left me because she said I love these books more than I loved her and I didn't disagree. I've been impoverished by the divorce, medical costs from the damage the Bastard Elf did to my hand and buying the other Two-Fisted Fantasy novels that no one wanted to play (Cocksmith and Skytrap Temple) has left me destitute and I've sold everything but my books, my scanner, my computer and a blanket I spread on the floor. To pay Steve I often miss out on meals and sometimes rent. At least I had my pride but even that you had to rip away from me.

You absolute bastard.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Dmitri you dick! Couldn't just enjoy things and leave well enough alone!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
When we finish this fight we need to carve off as much meat as our holds can manage from that space giant. That's a fuckin' decadent delicacy right there.

Edit: Oh no! Did we lose dippy bird with Chubbs?? :(

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 28, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh poo poo they killed Galactus.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Weapons: Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Liliokulani VI
Shields: Crocko the Lionhearted
Navigation: Crocmelia Crockheart the famous Navigatrix
Engineering: Sir Raymond Luxury Yacht

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay guys, we need a plan. I say we do a heist to steal the book from Steve and get it into Gilganixon's hands. Otherwise, we run the risk of him starving to death.

So, Ocean's Eleven anybody?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Can't we skip the weapons officer? We're going to use a Valet on this fight, and it'll probably be on weapons.

Unless there's anyone competent hostile and belligerent enough left to use on weapons. Then we can put the Valet on shields so we can give that big guy his job back if we win.

Google isn't helping much, I found some old rpg fansite forum posts but I can't tell the official, approved Caimen from the homebrew garbage. Is there really some angry old marshbilly with a rusty blunderbuss (prized family heirloom) and an obsession with shooting strangers?

I suggest:

Weapons: Pappy "Trespassers-Will-Be" Munchon.
Shields: Valet!
Navigation: Some loser who'll get deposed
Engineering: Sir Raymond Luxury Yacht sounds like a solid pick.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
We're a race of rear end in a top hat reptilians, our base level of aggression towards strangers is high. However; the most virulently belligerent rednecks of us would've been too poor ... wait. Did the millionaire founder of Kuckoo Kingdom, famous for its birdcalls and reality show get on board? He would certainly qualify for weapons station!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Can't we skip the weapons officer? We're going to use a Valet on this fight, and it'll probably be on weapons.

Unless there's anyone competent hostile and belligerent enough left to use on weapons. Then we can put the Valet on shields so we can give that big guy his job back if we win.

Google isn't helping much, I found some old rpg fansite forum posts but I can't tell the official, approved Caimen from the homebrew garbage. Is there really some angry old marshbilly with a rusty blunderbuss (prized family heirloom) and an obsession with shooting strangers?

I suggest:

Weapons: Pappy "Trespassers-Will-Be" Munchon.
Shields: Valet!
Navigation: Some loser who'll get deposed
Engineering: Sir Raymond Luxury Yacht sounds like a solid pick.

You can't use the valet that way - they only get one roll per system. We need to have a crewman in every position if possible.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

You can't use the valet that way - they only get one roll per system. We need to have a crewman in every position if possible.

Do they truly? The rulebook says it's one "task" per system, and i am pretty sure fighting a ship IS a "task".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

poo poo, I need to pay more attention to GBS. Just got caught up.

Leave our crew replacements to Fate.
The crocs don't know what the hell they're doing and neither should we!

J.D.Salinate
May 18, 2014

the_steve posted:

Leave our crew replacements to Fate.
The crocs don't know what the hell they're doing and neither should we!

Yup. Word economy and good sense right up in there.

Also, is there any chance we should be using our gigantic disgusting butthole machine to throw off the DA scan? I mean, our ship has an anus. Let's expel justice.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

J.D.Salinate posted:

Yup. Word economy and good sense right up in there.

Also, is there any chance we should be using our gigantic disgusting butthole machine to throw off the DA scan? I mean, our ship has an anus. Let's expel justice.

That's the proper use of that thing. Not only will you get the first shot off, you save the energy you would have spent on the sensor round.

DmitriX posted:

Do they truly? The rulebook says it's one "task" per system, and i am pretty sure fighting a ship IS a "task".

Yeah this issue caused a flame war on the 2FF forums as well. Using the valet at all in combat is pretty much gamebreaking and doesn't work with the valet's theme. The consensus was that by "task" the author meant those skill checks that come up sometimes - communications rolls, captain's leadership tests and things like that. Using his ability once in a space battle is considered a borderline exploit but using him for the whole battle is pretty much cheating.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
e:nm

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I also vote for chance to pick our crew. Besides, there is no way any Caiman, no matter how minor, can lose to a filthy circuit-back!

J.D.Salinate
May 18, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

That's the proper use of that thing. Not only will you get the first shot off, you save the energy you would have spent on the sensor round.

Then Cloacaing Device! We can literally poo poo on our enemies.

Also, chance.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Spencer Digby von Ragetooth, Third Lictor of Thrax for weapons. Dude is bloodthirst personified

chance for everyone else

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Claven666 posted:

Spencer Digby von Ragetooth, Third Lictor of Thrax for weapons. Dude is bloodthirst personified

chance for everyone else

I'll second the vote for Digby and chance but tack on a rider for Sir Raymond Luxury Yacht for engineer.

So my vote goes like
Weapons: Spencer Digby von Ragetooth, Third Lictor of Thrax
Shields: chance
Navigation: chance

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know you're dedicated to giving us the full experience, so I have to ask if you were able to find the legendary Space Katana pack?

This took some research to even learn about, but apparently, they made an add-on pack in a blatant attempt to rip off Return of the Jedi. For a number of reasons, it actually wasn't released until 1990, a good 7 years after it was in theaters.
The only way to even get the card was to be at a con where the creator was selling special "collector's editions" of the vhs (see: bootlegged as all hell), and get the card as an insert.

The artwork is about as close to a lightsaber ripoff as you can get, and it's possibly one of the most useless items to have ever been released.

See, in order to use it "properly", you had to complete a mini-module that was 1. Ridiculously difficult, even by 2FF standards, and 2. Never actually printed or released due to legal issues.
Without the module that would allow the proper training, any attempt to use the Space Katana in combat came with an increasingly likely chance to cut off your own hand, losing it and one of your Fists.
It did allow you to cheese 1 or 2 encounters, but almost every other time, having it in your inventory was a death sentence, as you'd either kill yourself, or punch a hole in the ship and kill everyone while you swung it around like an idiot.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

the_steve posted:

I know you're dedicated to giving us the full experience, so I have to ask if you were able to find the legendary Space Katana pack?

This took some research to even learn about, but apparently, they made an add-on pack in a blatant attempt to rip off Return of the Jedi. For a number of reasons, it actually wasn't released until 1990, a good 7 years after it was in theaters.
The only way to even get the card was to be at a con where the creator was selling special "collector's editions" of the vhs (see: bootlegged as all hell), and get the card as an insert.

The artwork is about as close to a lightsaber ripoff as you can get, and it's possibly one of the most useless items to have ever been released.

See, in order to use it "properly", you had to complete a mini-module that was 1. Ridiculously difficult, even by 2FF standards, and 2. Never actually printed or released due to legal issues.
Without the module that would allow the proper training, any attempt to use the Space Katana in combat came with an increasingly likely chance to cut off your own hand, losing it and one of your Fists.
It did allow you to cheese 1 or 2 encounters, but almost every other time, having it in your inventory was a death sentence, as you'd either kill yourself, or punch a hole in the ship and kill everyone while you swung it around like an idiot.

stop shilling, "not two-fisted steve" steve. if you've got something to sell you know i'm in the market.

But yeah there area few modules like that floating around, they're usually made up a pamphlet, a few cards and a couple of pictures or a map or something. Not all of them were any good but they were cheap (back in the day at least).

I have one about a slave uprising that I was thinking about running during this playthrough, I can ask Two-Fisted Steve about the Katana and see if I can put the katana item into circulation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gilganixon posted:

stop shilling, "not two-fisted steve" steve. if you've got something to sell you know i'm in the market.

Fine, but I'm not taking plasma again, not after what happened last time. :colbert:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Applewhite posted:

and three randos

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
on second thought, I'll throw in another vote for Sir Raymond for engineer, considering his back story. should be hilarious

so my vote is like

Spencer Digby von Ragetooth, Third Lictor of Thrax for weapons
Sir Raymond Luxury Yacht for Engineer

chance for the others

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

CHEAT
Use the valet for the entire fight then!
Remember people, we want to clear this run ASAP for reasons obvious to everyone reading this thread. We can leisurely explore failure states and other branches later on~.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

DmitriX posted:

CHEAT
Use the valet for the entire fight then!
Remember people, we want to clear this run ASAP for reasons obvious to everyone reading this thread. We can leisurely explore failure states and other branches later on~.

Cheaters never win.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Spencer Digby von Ragetooth, Third Lictor of Thrax for weapons
Sir Raymond Luxury Yacht for Engineer

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Cheaters never win.

http://io9.com/remember-inside-ufo-54-40-the-unwinnable-choose-your-o-1552187271

I think that should qualify as a proper counmterpoint.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I vote we do whatever so long as it lets us investigate the giant rotting corpse because that poo poo is interesting right there

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

The crew is selected:

Weapons: Spencer Digby von Ragetooth, Third Lictor of Thrax
Shields: chance (Dented Garnnnnnn, 5, 1)
Navigation: Crocmelia Crockart

From now on I'm going to assume we're attuned enough to the crocs' way of doing things that we can live with randomly drawing replacements from the deck. We've got 6 crocs left in the pack and three valets, so we can churn through another crew if we have to. Warning: the leftovers are pretty worthless.

I'll scan in the cards and run the battle, update in an hour or two.

Speaking of the battle, I intend to use the Cloacaing Device and burn the maximum possible energy at every stage, using the coffee machine where appropriate. We have a big advantage in that it's not a fight to the death, we just need to get those shields down, so we can worry about recovering energy when something isn't trying to kill us.

If you have any other ideas about how to run this battle let me know.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gilganixon posted:

If you have any other ideas about how to run this battle let me know.

Do we have a torpedo that takes the form of a robot when it penetrates the hull and pretends to be one of them but then betrays them at a critical moment?

Or a cannon that shoots two balls of plasma joined by an arc of electricity that whirl like bolas?

What about a beam that rapidly accelerates time in the area where it strikes, causing the enemy to crumble to dust before our eyes?

Maybe a spiked sphere that adheres to the hull before it detonates.

All good options.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
We could point at their feet and say "Your feet aren't bolted on properly" then shoot them when they look down to check.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Order that a manually-loaded "special charge" be placed into the Cloacaing Device for maximum efficacy. I recommend the lower reptiles sweep the deepening remnants from the bridge floor into the exhaust ports.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Perhaps fry them with some sort of logical paradox?
Or bombard them with terrible anti-disco, except they probably have better sound systems than we do and could drown us out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

Perhaps fry them with some sort of logical paradox?
Or bombard them with terrible anti-disco, except they probably have better sound systems than we do and could drown us out.

I like the anti-disco idea. Make the anti disco out of anti matter and let's watch them try and drown that out.
We could do it if we reverse the charge and magnetic movement of the atoms of the enemy ship through the use of precisely modulated sound waves.

• Locked thread