Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

DarkLotus posted:

Sounds about right

yeah i can't even talk with them on the same level anymore because none of them seem to know anything past what they learned in training

it also doesn't help that the exposure you get to "unmanaged" servers (ie non-cpanel/plesk) servers is extremely minimal and involves hand-holding from a "senior tech" (who is really just someone who is slightly better at cpanel and knows a little bit about cli)

glad i left that shithole to be an actual sysadmin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
this is still the personal favourite ive g otten from a hosting provider

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

and this is the caliber of person we're supposed to trust with our boxen

:stonklol:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

Did you switch hosting providers at that point?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i've honestly had zero issues with vultr's support, i've rarely had to utilize it but the few times i have they've been great

they had a misconfiguration in their kb article for setting up multiple ip addresses on freebsd, where they were saying you should use:

code:
ifconfig_vtnet0_alias1="blah"
in rc.conf, and i told them "aliases should start at 0 because otherwise freebsd won't bring it up because it expects the first alias to be alias0"

they fixed it right away :)

would've been nice to get some sort of recognition though, maybe a credit :(

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 16, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

deep impact on vhs posted:

and this is the caliber of person we're supposed to trust with our boxen

:stonklol:

The trick is to not trust anyone with your servers, build in redundancy and manage your own systems.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So this morning I got an email from my (Lithum Hosting powered) work email account saying it was almost full (my fault, hadn't set it to the size I wanted for it given it was my business e-mail and as a web designer that would mean a lot of images attachments) and I started to fix that and figured I might as well rotate my password for it whilst I was doing that.

Then Gmail, which I use as my email client as it's the easiest way to sync everything betwen my devices, started to spaz off because, of course, it was using the old email. I tried to change that and I'm greeted by an 500 error on Gmails end and it's been like that ever since.

Because of course.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I haven't paid attention to this space in a while. Is there something in between clunky, cookie cutter cPanel shared hosting plans and a VPS like digital ocean? I don't really want to worry about securing and setting up nginx etc, and would prefer to have a GUI to perform admin functions. Basically, can I have a cake and eat it too, and combine cPanel's ease of use/setup with a VPS's flexibility and performance for, say, around $10/mo?

e: I suppose something like Ajenti could bridge the gap, but last I tried it wasn't very mature and still left it up to me to secure everything by following the guides on LInode

e2: or is cpanel much less lovely now (at least the UI doesn't look like it's from 2005), and I just need to find a reputable host?

rawrr fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 18, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rawrr posted:

I haven't paid attention to this space in a while. Is there something in between clunky, cookie cutter cPanel shared hosting plans and a VPS like digital ocean? I don't really want to worry about securing and setting up nginx etc, and would prefer to have a GUI to perform admin functions. Basically, can I have a cake and eat it too, and combine cPanel's ease of use/setup with a VPS's flexibility and performance for, say, around $10/mo?

e: I suppose something like Ajenti could bridge the gap, but last I tried it wasn't very mature and still left it up to me to secure everything by following the guides on LInode

e2: or is cpanel much less lovely now (at least the UI doesn't look like it's from 2005), and I just need to find a reputable host?

Even bulk cPanel licenses run $15/mo at cost so that would be surprising to me.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Actually, looks like there are quite a few more free control panel options now; I've yet to look into them but they look promising. I'd be interested if anyone has experiences to share.

http://centos-webpanel.com/
http://www.sentora.org/
https://serverpilot.io
vestacp.com

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rawrr posted:

Actually, looks like there are quite a few more free control panel options now; I've yet to look into them but they look promising. I'd be interested if anyone has experiences to share.

http://centos-webpanel.com/
http://www.sentora.org/
https://serverpilot.io
vestacp.com

What's your end goal? Just putting up some html?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I like the idea of having a server to play around with and be able to quickly deploy new sites for personal use (based on wordpress or docuwiki). I have had a droplet running at DO now for about two years, but I haven't messed with it much since command line stuff requires too much effort for casual use.

Serverpilot actually looks particularly promising and may be exactly what I need.

e:cloudways looks interesting too but appears less polished.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 18, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

rawrr posted:

cloudways spams and fakereviews/shills/"hey guys i found this host are they good" several hosting forums from what i've seen; also the broken english "what did i do wrong" followups are always funny

i wouldn't use them or trust any reviews from them to not be paid crap from fiverr

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

rawrr posted:

I like the idea of having a server to play around with and be able to quickly deploy new sites for personal use (based on wordpress or docuwiki). I have had a droplet running at DO now for about two years, but I haven't messed with it much since command line stuff requires too much effort for casual use.

Serverpilot actually looks particularly promising and may be exactly what I need.

You could always look into something like EasyEngine...
https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/

Never used it, I roll my own the old fashioned way.

You can also look into ISPConfig as a control panel.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

cloudways spams and fakereviews/shills/"hey guys i found this host are they good" several hosting forums from what i've seen; also the broken english "what did i do wrong" followups are always funny

i wouldn't use them or trust any reviews from them to not be paid crap from fiverr

That's interesting, because I couldn't quite put a finger to it, but there is just something "off" about their website to me. The logo looks worse than what you could buy on SA Mart, and the entire site design just has a very amateur feel to it. Thanks for letting me know.

I usually place a pretty big premium on website design/UI when evaluating a new service - I figure if they've bothered to pay attention to polish, it's less likely to suck.

DarkLotus posted:

You could always look into something like EasyEngine...
https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/

Never used it, I roll my own the old fashioned way.

You can also look into ISPConfig as a control panel.

I tried ISPConfig/Virtualmin/Webmin a long time ago - the barebones UI didn't really work for me. I'm about to try Vultr + Serverpilot since Vultr seems to be free for two months. I'll just leave my DO droplet alone for now, but may eventually consolidate everything into one place.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2015

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So we use Hostmonster (I know, I know) at work for some lower tier/not important sites. At some point someone at our company had another Hostmonster account they used with ourdomain.com. They deleted the account associated with this domain years ago. Now, many years later, we're trying to point subdomain.ourdomain.com to a new hostmonster account. Because ourdomain.com is already in their system on the "deleted" account, they wont let us setup the subdomain until we prove ownership of ourdomain.com. To fix this, they want us to give them the EPP code for ourdomain.com. Aren't those only used for transferring domains? Shouldn't they accept other means to prove ownership? I'm sketched out by it. Am I off base at all?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
DO NOT GIVE THEM IT, THEY WILL OWN YOUR DOMAIN

if they want to verify ownership tell them to email the registrant whois email or something

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

For free control panels, I really like vestaCP or virtualmin with the authentic theme. Cpanel is for sure the easiest to use and make secure (as secure as cpanel can be :P ) but those are two good free options. Personally, I like making people their own VPS and installing vesta on it. It works well and is fairly secure and it looks nice. Just doesn't have app autoinstallers but my hosting service is for power users so its not a big deal to them.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Biowarfare posted:

DO NOT GIVE THEM IT, THEY WILL OWN YOUR DOMAIN

if they want to verify ownership tell them to email the registrant whois email or something

They've refused every alternative i've proposed. I even pointed an A record of a subdomain at their IP and they still didn't care.

It's really strange, I cant believe this is their preferred process for domain verification.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

frogbs posted:

They've refused every alternative i've proposed. I even pointed an A record of a subdomain at their IP and they still didn't care.

It's really strange, I cant believe this is their preferred process for domain verification.

They are either incompetent or shady as gently caress - either way, find a different hosting company.

Stealthgerbil posted:

For free control panels, I really like vestaCP or virtualmin with the authentic theme. Cpanel is for sure the easiest to use and make secure (as secure as cpanel can be :P ) but those are two good free options. Personally, I like making people their own VPS and installing vesta on it. It works well and is fairly secure and it looks nice. Just doesn't have app autoinstallers but my hosting service is for power users so its not a big deal to them.

I feel like secure cPanel is an oxymoron.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thalagyrt posted:

I feel like secure cPanel is an oxymoron.

cPanel gets a lot better if you run it under CloudLinux

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

frogbs posted:

I couldn't validate your domain ownership with an EPP code if I wanted to. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I worked for an ISP back before automated domain transfers were a thing, back then we had to send a letter with company letterhead that matched the Administrative contact's info.
It works the same way now except automated via email and with the EPP code.

Threaten to file an ICANN domain dispute if they don't cooperate with you.

If they don't, go file a complaint.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/help/dndr/udrp-en

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Stealthgerbil posted:

Thanks, I put off trying VestaCP but likely will soon. May give virtualmin another shot too.

I had a chance to try cPanel on Vultr, and it just feels too bloated for my needs and is ill suited for a single user VPS anyway (nevermind the $15/mo). The UI has cleaned up a bit, but it doesn't "feel" like anything underneath the surface has changed.

Serverpilot ended up being a lot more barebones than I was expecting; it doesn't tell you what it has done or is doing, so I have no idea whether its doing a good job or not doing anything. Not terrible for free, but I'm not about to pony up $10/mo just to view basic server stats. Before trying it I had imagined it to be a service that would monitor the server and follow some best practices (disabling root access, help set up SSH key pairs, install fail2ban), but it doesn't seem to do much aside from setting up a firewall.

Ajenti has matured a bit since I last tried it, but is still pretty bare bones.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

devicenull posted:

cPanel gets a lot better if you run it under CloudLinux

I can spray perfume on a turd too. It's still a turd, though.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Thalagyrt posted:

I can spray perfume on a turd too. It's still a turd, though.

At least it smells better!

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

At least it smells better!

I dunno about that, have you ever febreezed a bathroom someone just left a nasty dump in? It arguably is worse. :cheeky:

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Thalagyrt posted:

I dunno about that, have you ever febreezed a bathroom someone just left a nasty dump in? It arguably is worse. :cheeky:

Touche!

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Biowarfare posted:

Just got one from 1and1 regarding some undocumented blacklist heuristics they implement (or a faulty network on their end):

quote:

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely do apologize for the inconvenience. See details below.

~$ host 64.22.68.2
2.68.22.64.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer image.apisnetworks.com.

~$ host image.apisnetworks.com
image.apisnetworks.com has address 64.22.68.2

~$ host 2.68.22.64
Host 64.22.68.2.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

2.68.22.64 shoud be pointed back to 64.22.68.2, however, it resulted to not found.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

When your hiring manager consists of a pigeon with a keyboard :psyboom:\

Edit: and the cycle continues :smithicide:

nem fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 27, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nem posted:

Just got one from 1and1 regarding some undocumented blacklist heuristics they implement (or a faulty network on their end):

When your hiring manager consists of a pigeon with a keyboard :psyboom:\

Edit: and the cycle continues :smithicide:

why are your ip addresses backwards
are you hacking
i'm reporting you for hacking

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I use DigitalOcean. I recently tried to SSH into my server that I hadn't SSH'd into in a long time. The private key I have has definitely not changed, but I get a "Server refused our key" error. Root password doesn't work and I'm not sure there was one originally (just the key). I tried resetting the password using DO's control panel and it didn't work. Trying to login using the console on DO's website has me log in as root, change the password, then immediatly kicks me out to login again. Logging in with the new password works for a split second but then kicks me back to login. I have no idea what I configured here.

Am I hosed? Is there something obvious I should try? Is it time to waste hours of my life figuring out how to use the recovery mode that DO provides?

I opened a support ticket and they just said to use the recovery mode.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

hayden. posted:

I use DigitalOcean. I recently tried to SSH into my server that I hadn't SSH'd into in a long time. The private key I have has definitely not changed, but I get a "Server refused our key" error. Root password doesn't work and I'm not sure there was one originally (just the key). I tried resetting the password using DO's control panel and it didn't work. Trying to login using the console on DO's website has me log in as root, change the password, then immediatly kicks me out to login again. Logging in with the new password works for a split second but then kicks me back to login. I have no idea what I configured here.

Am I hosed? Is there something obvious I should try? Is it time to waste hours of my life figuring out how to use the recovery mode that DO provides?

I opened a support ticket and they just said to use the recovery mode.

Did you foul up one of the PAM modules? Or did you get hacked and the hacker, being a douche, add "exit" into your .bash_profile?

I'd try booting up into single-user mode, then logging in from whatever tty terminal DO provides.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If I had to guess, at some point in time I was following some tutorial that recommended disabling the ability to log in as root, at least not outside of an SSH connection.

Booting into single user mode doesn't seem like an option. The only way to do so would be to do a power cycle and open the console viewer to try to intercept some sort of bootup screen with a keystroke, but none shows that I can see.

I loaded the recovery kernel except the space bar doesn't seem to work in it. Can't even run fsck because I can't add a space to have a '-p'. This sucks.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

hayden. posted:

If I had to guess, at some point in time I was following some tutorial that recommended disabling the ability to log in as root.

Booting into single user mode doesn't seem like an option. The only way to do so would be to do a power cycle and open the console viewer to try to intercept some sort of bootup screen with a keystroke, but none shows that I can see.

I loaded the recovery kernel except the space bar doesn't seem to work in it. Can't even run fsck because I can't add a space to have a '-p'. This sucks.

Pass "single" to your initrd to force single-user mode, if you've got the ability to edit your boot options. I'm not terribly familiar with DO's interface. On Linode at least you can toggle single-user bootup in the VM config.

Next time don't follow what someone else has written without comprehending its implications :science:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

No option to edit boot options as far as I can tell. Only real option I see is to change the kernel.

Following tutorials blindly is obviously not ideal but you got to start somewhere, and when you're trying to just make something work it doesn't make sense to spend weeks learning the ins and outs of every faucet of Linux when all you really need is a LAMP server.

I do really appreciate the help though.

The recovery kernel gives this error at bootup, maybe it's not actually successfully booting:

mounting /sys on root/sys failed: no such file or directory
mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory
target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init
no init found
try passing init= bootarg

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 29, 2015

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

hayden. posted:

The recovery kernel gives this error at bootup, maybe it's not actually successfully booting:

mounting /sys on root/sys failed: no such file or directory
mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory
target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init
no init found
try passing init= bootarg

it shouldn't be doing this, open a ticket with DO

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I did at your suggestion - thanks!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
if you're using the new grub you can also try adding single to the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub, run 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' (back up first!) and reboot

once you're done in single-user mode though you'll need to remove single from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and run grub-mkconfig again

i could be completely wrong but afaik this would be a way to do it

so basically:

code:
1. edit /etc/default/grub
2. add 'single' to the end of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line inside the quotes
3. back up your current /boot/grub/grub.cfg
4. run 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'
5. reboot your droplet
6. do whatever you need to do in single-user mode
7. edit /etc/default/grub
8. remove 'single' from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line
9. run 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' again
10. reboot

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 29, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. DigitalOcean has some sort of secondary recovery ISO they can mount, I successfully got my files off the server with that at the very least. Thanks again everyone.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've successfully updated my SSL certificate but Nginx is still delivering the old certificate, even though I've already replaced the certs.

Is there a cache somewhere, cause I'm really confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
did you restart nginx