Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

read somewhere (i forget now, probably reddit so maybe its bullshit) but kojima wanted ground zeroes out the way it was to prepare people for the radical change in gameplay (because they he must of figured not many people played peace walker or something) and the open world stuff but he wanted it released for free and konami were like no! that is not a free game!

I can believe it, especially with what he did with PT. I personally don't feel burned by Ground Zeroes because I bought it for 10 dollars, which imo is about what it was actually worth. Had i bought that for 40 or whatever it was when it came out I probably would have been pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I'm more excited about the Boss costume DLC than I should be.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vikar Jerome posted:

fake edit: went looking for a solidus skating gif to complete that quote but found this instead:

*Naked Snake strafes The Boss once and fires an RPG. Fight over*

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
This is Lyndon B. Johnson. I award you the title of Big Boss. Over.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why hasn't anyone modded over Pequadd's lines with Macho Man Randy Savage quotes yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJULk0f9xA

Yes, first seconds shows it would own

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Another thing I'm noticing compared to GZ, TPP doesn't have as good of set pieces. Even the side missions had moments where you on rails then off rails or whatever and various events are happening around you, like the air strikes.

In TPP most of the cutscenes tear you away rather than involve you doing anything. I don't think TPP has anything like the Kojima rescue in it at all other than 5 seconds of gatling gun at Sahelanthropus' head.

But hey, maybe they should just release a mission/level editor instead please.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, it does kind of feel like Ground Zeroes is preparing you for some other version of The Phantom Pain than the one we got, as much as I love the final product.

I got screwed over because of security cameras several times playing GZ, and they're almost a non-entity in TPP. Turning off the power to the admin building was something I would incorporate in several playthroughs of GZ, and I'm not sure it was ever really worthwhile to do in TPP. Camp Omega also seems to be a little more thoughtful of a map than any individual area in TPP.

Honestly I'm tempted to say GZ is actually the better game overall.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 28, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The only time I ever saw any security cameras in TPP at all was two cameras in OKB Zero.

I just wish the game had more urban areas like Camp Omega. All the places like that in TPP are the most fun for sneaking around. Airport, OKB Zero, Soviet Base Camp...

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 28, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

There are some cameras in the airport.

Otherwise, the guard/security density is really low with exception to a few missions, to the point if you find the right area you can drive right in.

The CFA mission at the airport you can actually drive up to the outer hangars after crashing through a fence and no one notices, when really the whole airport perimeter should have guards.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I knew about the cameras at the airport, though I never even realized OKB Zero had any and I just ran through there yesterday.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Raxivace posted:

I knew about the cameras at the airport, though I never even realized OKB Zero had any and I just ran through there yesterday.

OKB Zero only has them during the mission there, for some reason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Last time I was there was for a side op, so that would explain why I guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sylink posted:

There are some cameras in the airport.

Otherwise, the guard/security density is really low with exception to a few missions, to the point if you find the right area you can drive right in.

The CFA mission at the airport you can actually drive up to the outer hangars after crashing through a fence and no one notices, when really the whole airport perimeter should have guards.

thats the thing, in Afaganistan it felt fine, decent amount of guards and reenforcements, but wants you hit africa, everything feels empty except for a 2 or 3 places.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Raxivace posted:

Honestly I'm tempted to say GZ is actually the better game overall.

I would full-on say it's the case. Ground Zeroes is short but it felt like a finished product and what was there was incredibly polished. Even though you're constrained in terms of your equipment, there's no buddies, and it was the same map five (seven) times, GZ and Camp Omega had so much life in it and it squeezed every last drop it could from that small play area. It works story-wise as a self-contained chapter and wasn't missing basically its entire third act. Each mission was designed well for what it was and, rather than the same helicopter cutscene over and over again, you had unique intros to each mission and some had unique outros that, most importantly, could be skipped. The missions also often featured developments that would force you to alter your tactics: guards had shift changes, trucks were driving around on routes, they would check on prisoners, etc. Like, in the Tape mission where they set up roadblocks to prevent you from leaving the base. That was awesome and was not used nearly enough in TPP. And there was real OSP, something that felt missing from TPP.

The mission structure also didn't shoehorn any open world design into it, so you spawned in the base ready to sneak. You didn't have to run halfway across a largely empty world map to get to the place you're supposed to sneak into. Some missions in TPP let you send the helicopter right at the main mission area (although if it's an enemy outpost it makes you slowly circle the area, drawing enemy fire the entire time and almost guaranteeing that you'll be spotted, rather than letting you do a quick hop off like when the helicopter swoops you in and drops you off in Mission 22; you should be able to choose whether you want Pequod to shuttle you in for an aerial assault a la Rescue the Intel Agent from GZ or a quick drop off or, better yet, just spawn nearby on the ground) but most of the time it will dump you about two kilometers away and force you to run to where you need to be even if you enter the mission from the ground. That gets tiring really quickly. And when you get there, with the exception of very few locations, it's a very small base that doesn't have nearly the depth of Camp Omega.

The only clear advantage TPP has over GZ is tighter controls and more gameplay options. The increased length isn't necessarily in TPP's favour because I don't think they do enough with it. In all other aspects GZ wins.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Different strokes for different folks. I'd take just about any area in TPP over GZ myself, and overall I find TPP to be about 200 times better.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Someone was talking about these earlier, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TBGJ0yo30

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why hasn't anyone modded over Pequadd's lines with Macho Man Randy Savage quotes yet

Holy poo poo I need this

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I'd take just about any area in TPP over GZ myself, and overall I find TPP to be about 200 times better.
I'd be curious to hear what areas in TPP you find to be better than Camp Omega and why.

In It For The Tank posted:

And there was real OSP, something that felt missing from TPP.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote to a degree. I think the Subsistence missions were meant to address this particular point, but even if they were flawless (They're not) there's still only two of them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey I only just looked closer at the picture of Professor Galvez. Did Ocelot borrow it for the boss, or is it just the same sort of model/general idea?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Hey I only just looked closer at the picture of Professor Galvez. Did Ocelot borrow it for the boss, or is it just the same sort of model/general idea?

As Galvez was actually a Soviet agent, presumably it was made by the man whom you rescued in Over the Fence.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I think it's implied that the guy that made Zadornov's prosthetic also made Snake's. The bionics guy is Russian, Zadornov is Russian, plus the bionics guy is the only one who can make something that good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raxivace posted:

I'd be curious to hear what areas in TPP you find to be better than Camp Omega and why.

Gameplay wise, camp omega is mostly buildings you can't enter, and tents you can't enter. It just doesn't do much for me. I guess there's that catwalk and some guard towers, and a couple fences. The style of most enemy bases in TPP is much more up my alley. A lot of the smaller ones remind me of places you'd stumble upon in Snake Eater. And the bigger places, prisons, various larger bases, the mansion with the cliffs leading to it, the mission 30 place, all of those places really work for me. And in general, I found just about every place in TPP to be more interesting than Camp Omega. I had more fun with it, pretty much. But I know Camp Omega has its devotees.

Of course, comparing the levels is one thing, it's more surprising to me to hear that some prefer the game GZ over TPP. But we all dig different things.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Bionics guy is also Dr. Madnar.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What're people's favourite locations then?

The main Soviet base camp is great.
That afghan cliff village.
Nova Braga airport.
OKB Zero would be up there except it's pretty linear.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the first tapes you get is Ocelot bragging about how everybody in the USSR can get glorious communist hands and how advanced bionics is beyond the iron curtain.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Gameplay wise, camp omega is mostly buildings you can't enter, and tents you can't enter. It just doesn't do much for me. I guess there's that catwalk and some guard towers, and a couple fences. The style of most enemy bases in TPP is much more up my alley. A lot of the smaller ones remind me of places you'd stumble upon in Snake Eater. And the bigger places, prisons, various larger bases, the mansion with the cliffs leading to it, the mission 30 place, all of those places really work for me. And in general, I found just about every place in TPP to be more interesting than Camp Omega. I had more fun with it, pretty much. But I know Camp Omega has its devotees.

Of course, comparing the levels is one thing, it's more surprising to me to hear that some prefer GZ over TPP. But we all dig different things.

What they got right with Camp Omega is gave it a lot of flexibility in how you reach the objectives. All of the "specially designed" areas in TPP are pretty linear by comparison. Also, it felt like it had more diversity of area than all of TPP. Like yeah it's one camp, but there's the tent areas, the coast area, the "buildings area". It didn't feel as much like the same buildings cut and pasted all over. That's the real problem with TPP. Even when the level design is good, it's the same buildings and tarps and poo poo everywhere, just re-arranged. That's totally understandable, but it comes off feeling a lot less polished than Camp Omega.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how people are claiming that GZ is a "full game" and not a feature-incomplete demo. Trying to talk about how it feels more 'full' when it barely has any content is silly. It has good level design and that is about all it has going for it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

The greatest revelation of TPP was explaining how Dr. Madnar survived his encounter with Snake in MG2 to go on to design Raiden's cyborg body. Turns out there's like six clones of him and they're all on my R&D team.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

ImpAtom posted:

I like how people are claiming that GZ is a "full game" and not a feature-incomplete demo. Trying to talk about how it feels more 'full' when it barely has any content is silly. It has good level design and that is about all it has going for it.

It's definitely a full 20 dollar game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I am definitely not calling it a full game. It is however, more polished than most of the missions in TPP.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Sex Tragedy posted:

It's definitely a full 20 dollar game.

One I paid seven bucks for, which I acknowledge may influence my positive impression of the game. I paid ten times that TPP and got ten times of content, yes, but it wasn't content that felt nearly as substantial or polished as what was packed into GZ.

And for a feature-incomplete demo it has a shocking amount of stuff that isn't in TPP like a fulfilling story.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 29, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Funky Valentine posted:

was that ever confirmed? i dont remember anyone saying his name and he has a code name now. unless its some bit of carry dialogue i missed or something.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Shoren posted:

I think it's implied that the guy that made Zadornov's prosthetic also made Snake's. The bionics guy is Russian, Zadornov is Russian, plus the bionics guy is the only one who can make something that good.

Well it's definitely not Zadornov's hand anyway because he had it on his other arm.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

And for a feature-incomplete demo it has a shocking amount of stuff that isn't in TPP like a fulfilling story.

It's not that.

Also, mgsv is not a loving product it's a part of a legendary work of art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

I am definitely not calling it a full game. It is however, more polished than most of the missions in TPP.

I think the area is polished but I don't really agree with the missions themselves. I think there are some legitimately well-polished missions in TPP and if they feel less so it is because you have more options and thus it's easier to circumvent things, but I think fewer options = better isn't inherently true. GZ is absolutely harder but it's harder because you barely have any tools available to you.

Yes, the fulfilling story of "Big Boss finds some people and they blow up on the way home."

There is absolutely no complete story in GZ. It has about 5-10 minutes of cutscenes which do nothing but introduce characters and a status quo. If your argument is that THAT is a fulfilling story then I'm not sure why you have a problem with TPP.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Other missions include 'kill two guys', 'shoot guys from a helicopter then shoot a tank', 'destroy 3 things and a tank' and 'collect an item'. The prototypes for all the side ops basically.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I think the area is polished but I don't really agree with the missions themselves. I think there are some legitimately well-polished missions in TPP and if they feel less so it is because you have more options and thus it's easier to circumvent things, but I think fewer options = better isn't inherently true. GZ is absolutely harder but it's harder because you barely have any tools available to you.
Yes, the game being less balanced and the challenges being easier to bypass is exactly what makes it feel less polished.

quote:

Yes, the fulfilling story of "Big Boss finds some people and they blow up on the way home."

There is absolutely no complete story in GZ. It has about 5-10 minutes of cutscenes which do nothing but introduce characters and a status quo. If your argument is that THAT is a fulfilling story then I'm not sure why you have a problem with TPP.
Surely you can see how 5-10 minutes of cutscenes for a 1-hour game can convey a story better than 30 minutes of cutscenes for a 100 hour game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PPs mission design and how it uses areas is just as good as GZ imo. There's just so many options and ways to cheese poo poo that a lot of that work goes unnoticed.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

PPs mission design and how it uses areas is just as good as GZ imo. There's just so many options and ways to cheese poo poo that a lot of that work goes unnoticed.

Yeah, playing the game without a silenced tranq sniper and Quiet makes this a lot more clear.

If you had the same loadouts and buddies in GZ you'd be whinging about the weak level design there too. The game has a lot of mechanics for being in close and hard stealthing that are rendered irrelevant by barkiton radar sniping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah, playing the game without a silenced tranq sniper and Quiet makes this a lot more clear.

If you had the same loadouts and buddies in GZ you'd be whinging about the weak level design there too. The game has a lot of mechanics for being in close and hard stealthing that are rendered irrelevant by barkiton radar sniping.

yeah, I don't see how that doesn't count as unpolished design?

• Locked thread