Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

maybe he applied some filter or some setting on the timeline that isn't compatible with 4K because [reasons] ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

maybe he applied some filter or some setting on the timeline that isn't compatible with 4K because [reasons] ?

I applied zero filters beyond choosing a "theme" that it forces you to choose at the start. I'll see if I can choose "no theme"?

[edit] No theme is not an option, so that cannot be it, eh?

[edit2] backing up my one project to iCloud Drive and deleting/reinstalling iMovie. Let's see...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 28, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In other news, Live Wallpapers look amazing, but are the dumbest thing ever.

1) You have to press your finger on them.

"Hey wanna see my live wallpaper?"
*unlocks phone*
*has notification so its a dark screen you can't see the wallpaper with.*
*Sleeps phone again*
*Wakes phone, but not with home button because superfast touchID.*
*presses screen*
*animation. ooohh!*
*has to wait for animation to reverse completely back to the start of it before phone is unlockable.*

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Feenix posted:

In other news, Live Wallpapers look amazing, but are the dumbest thing ever.

1) You have to press your finger on them.

"Hey wanna see my live wallpaper?"
*unlocks phone*
*has notification so its a dark screen you can't see the wallpaper with.*
*Sleeps phone again*
*Wakes phone, but not with home button because superfast touchID.*
*presses screen*
*animation. ooohh!*
*has to wait for animation to reverse completely back to the start of it before phone is unlockable.*

You forgot *posts* and *doubleposts* as the bookends there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
triple Post:

Re: iMovie not exporting:

I think I found the solution. I showed as being updated on iMovie. I went to the App Store and there was NO update. The text of MY current version was the latest text, re: 4k, iOS9, etc.

I backed my stuff up, deleted that iMovie, redownloaded, and what do you know... iMovie looks TOTALLY different. I guess it wasn't updated after all. Weird.

Yep! That was it!

I actually have had a few apps over the past weeks that were updated (Since iOS 9, even on my last phone) that read like they were updated, but weren't.

Crazy.

Thanks all! Will post my 4k video here shortly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How long has iOS recognized shipping tracking numbers in emails? I ordered something over the weekend, the confirmation mail had a tracking number in it and when I tapped it in Mail.app it offered to load the number on USPS' tracking page. Figured it was just an embedded link at the time but when I loaded the same email on my desktop it was just normal text.

Kind of blew my mind, I've been used to it doing this for dates and stuff but is the first time I've noticed it for anything else. I can't imagine writing the text filter for that.. maybe it only triggers on messages with certain keywords in the subject, like "shipping" or something?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

How long has iOS recognized shipping tracking numbers in emails? I ordered something over the weekend, the confirmation mail had a tracking number in it and when I tapped it in Mail.app it offered to load the number on USPS' tracking page. Figured it was just an embedded link at the time but when I loaded the same email on my desktop it was just normal text.

Kind of blew my mind, I've been used to it doing this for dates and stuff but is the first time I've noticed it for anything else. I can't imagine writing the text filter for that.. maybe it only triggers on messages with certain keywords in the subject, like "shipping" or something?

At least all of iOS8, if not longer, I think?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess I'm just a doofus for not noticing it.

Or I don't order enough stuff online.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

Tracking numbers are easily identifiable, all the carriers have unique prefixes on the tracking numbers that will ID what company something was shipped with. It's how the Deliveries app can 'guess' what company your tracked package is coming through.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone having an issue with the wallet app on the 6S? It seems like it isn't sizing anything properly. Here's some random movie ticket that was in my wallet.

My credit card in Apple Pay looks the same where it's like zoomed in too far.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Yeah, Wallet is messed up.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've never had any delivery notifications but maybe it's because I'm using gmail through Mail.app. I use the Deliveries app all the time though. I'd really like to migrate all my mail over to iCloud so I can use push, but Gmail is just so ingrained in anything I do. I've been using it since beta to sign up for everything, it would be a royal pain in the rear end to go through every online account I have and get it all switched.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Mike-o posted:

I've never had any delivery notifications but maybe it's because I'm using gmail through Mail.app. I use the Deliveries app all the time though. I'd really like to migrate all my mail over to iCloud so I can use push, but Gmail is just so ingrained in anything I do. I've been using it since beta to sign up for everything, it would be a royal pain in the rear end to go through every online account I have and get it all switched.

It shouldn't matter what type of mail you're using, mail.app goes through the email looking for data connectors. I think the tracking number has to be pretty separated from any other text for the app to pick it up, they usually register as phone numbers for me anyways.

I'm pretty sure Gmail has forwarding, so any mail that comes into your Gmail account can be forwarded to your iCloud address giving you push mail.

The Gmail/Inbox apps are essentially push mail clients for Gmail as well.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
How is ios 9 on the old iPhone 6? Im wary of upgrading due to past mishaps that came with ios updates with older versions of the iphone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfectly fine. OS issues tend to only be when you install on the generation of phone that only just supports it, maybe 3 years old. Not one from 12 months ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Victorian Gentleman posted:

How is ios 9 on the old iPhone 6? Im wary of upgrading due to past mishaps that came with ios updates with older versions of the iphone.

Seriously? The 6 is a single year old

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Yea, even my 5c was handling ios9 just fine for the few days I was using it, straight out of being jailbroken on like 8.something.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Since I installed iOS9, I am no longer getting the "Search on wikipedia" option in spotlight search. Was this removed? I'm not finding anything via google...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Got a call from the manager of the Apple store where I had my little debacle. She was nice about me being declined for the upgrade program but really knew only what I already knew from researching online / talking to my credit card company and citizens one. She did admit that apple knows that a small percentage of Discover cards are being rejected and are working on a fix but didn't give me any timeline. Hopefully I can call back later this week and see if anyone else has come back in and run the transaction successfully.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slanderer posted:

Since I installed iOS9, I am no longer getting the "Search on wikipedia" option in spotlight search. Was this removed? I'm not finding anything via google...

Not there for me either.

Does anyone have any idea why swiping down in the screen-to-the-left of home acts the way it does? I see no advantage to it, and it's annoying when scrolling up and down for news items. Thought it might be fixed in 9.0.1 but it's still there and is probably intentional. But it's dumb. If I wanted to search id just tap the search box.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not there for me either.

Does anyone have any idea why swiping down in the screen-to-the-left of home acts the way it does? I see no advantage to it, and it's annoying when scrolling up and down for news items. Thought it might be fixed in 9.0.1 but it's still there and is probably intentional. But it's dumb. If I wanted to search id just tap the search box.
Works for me.

As for swiping down: I guess so you have the option to swipe down and immediately start typing rather than tapping the search box.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 29, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah interesting, if it finds a valid wiki hit it brings it up. If it doesn't, it doesn't have 'Search Wiki' as an option at the bottom along with Search Web etc. My test search, "butts", didn't trigger a valid page I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The s makes all the difference it seems.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

No dice.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
4k iMovie uploaded to Youtube. Honestly still looks pretty impressive. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM1aCsd9fE (make sure to select 2160 if you are able to view it...)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Is there an easy way to upload live photos for backing up. Right now every way I try to send/share them only sends the drat .jpg.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Feenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM1aCsd9fE (make sure to select 2160 if you are able to view it...)

:eyepop:

buffering...buffering...buf..buf..buffering...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Is there an easy way to upload live photos for backing up. Right now every way I try to send/share them only sends the drat .jpg.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

:stare: That's a spicy meataball!

(The camera, I mean.)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not there for me either.

Ok, I finally got it to work. I tried resetting, switching siri suggestions on/off, changing my language to US english (it was already US english, but it still took a couple minutes for some reason). I finally ended up disabling siri suggestions and siri, and then doing a hard reboot. Afterwards, the "siri suggestions" item was in my list of spotlight search options and disabled---it was either not there previously, or there and enabled (i specifically looked to see what was enabled/disabled a couple times earlier). After enabling that, everything immediately started working.

Apple.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I should have been more specific, not into iCloud. Preferably into my google drive or dropbox account.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Photos app (OS X) recognizes them as 1440 "videos" for me. Not sure if they preserve their photo gimmick, though.

I sent my wife (regular 6) one and it played when she expanded (tapped) the inline image. Social media will supposedly support it at some point, I heard

[Edit]

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: That's a spicy meataball!

(The camera, I mean.)

Yeah I was even kind of impressed with a paused still image I took off the Youtube player.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 29, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wooger posted:

You are so wrong? I have unlimited data for £12.99 a month on three. Stop signing horrible contracts and buy a phone. Even if you put it all on a credit card and take 2 years to pay, you'll save money.

You say to stop signing horrible contracts but you're talking about three? They're historically awful at coming anywhere near the speeds of other networks as they've oversold for years. Probably from offering unlimited plans at low prices. Granted if they're better than they were that's a good deal (their site shows what you describe at £18) but they've always seemed like a good deal and they've always had trouble in built up areas.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
My social media feeds (and the local news) seem to be filled with links to this "Turn off this new iOS 9 setting if you don't have unlimited data" story. The original article has no real research into what's actually going on other than a bunch of tweets claiming that Wi-Fi Assist is causing people to suddenly use more of their mobile data than before.

Has anyone come across any articles that legitimately checked into this? My understanding is that the feature really only enables itself when the Wi-Fi signal is too weak to actually transmit data and works by automatically switching you over to the cellular radio earlier, like when you're just down the street from your house. Everyone in these stories seems to be implying that you wouldn't notice the switch, as if it doesn't always show the WiFi symbol being replaced with LTE/4G, but I don't think that's right.

If Wi-Fi Assist really is causing a problem, isn't it really a problem with an old or bad router that has a weak signal inside your house and you're constantly in that network's edge?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This default calendar app is kinda awful.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SimplyCosmic posted:

My social media feeds (and the local news) seem to be filled with links to this "Turn off this new iOS 9 setting if you don't have unlimited data" story. The original article has no real research into what's actually going on other than a bunch of tweets claiming that Wi-Fi Assist is causing people to suddenly use more of their mobile data than before.

Has anyone come across any articles that legitimately checked into this? My understanding is that the feature really only enables itself when the Wi-Fi signal is too weak to actually transmit data and works by automatically switching you over to the cellular radio earlier, like when you're just down the street from your house. Everyone in these stories seems to be implying that you wouldn't notice the switch, as if it doesn't always show the WiFi symbol being replaced with LTE/4G, but I don't think that's right.

If Wi-Fi Assist really is causing a problem, isn't it really a problem with an old or bad router that has a weak signal inside your house and you're constantly in that network's edge?

Yes. If you're using more data than normal, it's because the connection is weak and the phone is switching to LTE or whatever to do those small tasks it usually did over WiFi.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Feenix posted:

I was sure. But being the smart guy I am, I double checked by plugging my phone into my mac and using "photos" app to import. Then Getting Info. I found 4k clips. (38whatever by 2160) I went back to my phone, found that VERY clip, made a movie in iMovie, hit Export > Youtube and my little options screen for title, description, tags, resolution stops at 1080p.

What the poo poo. Just seriously... what the poo poo?!

I think only verified or YouTube accounts with a certain level of popularity can use the 4K upload feature. Not sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You gotta remember the venue dude :ssh:

I have to say I love the battery saver mode that iOS 9 prompts you to turn on when the battery hits 20%. Perfect for those times when it's the end of the day and I haven't quite made it to bed where I plug my phone in for the night.

Windows phone does it better though - It automatically comes on when your battery hits a user defined percentage.