Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
OMG why is it so hard to find a photographer. Been looking for ages and I'm yet to find a portfolio I like the look of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

All you folks spending 15-20k or more on weddings, are y'all just...going into debt for this stuff?

Not judging, I'm just curious. I can't imagine coming up with 10k grand in a year to blow on a one day party, let alone double or triple that (factoring in a honeymoon and whatever else).

We've been saving for like three years even though we've only been engaged for one, so we're just paying for the whole thing ourselves outright. I'm not thrilled about the cost for one (well... really more like three, if you count mehndi/vidhi/etc) day, but it's really important to both sets of our parents, particularly my fiance's. I'm kind of just... looking at it as an investment into my future good relationship with my inlaws.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
In Canada... Around 15k for EVERYTHING (venue, food, booze, DJ, dress, honeymoon...) for 110 guests.

It's in 2 days!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

OMG why is it so hard to find a photographer. Been looking for ages and I'm yet to find a portfolio I like the look of!

Whereabouts do you live?

Edit:

To add to budget chat, here's our rough one. We're just south of Boston so one of the more expensive areas in the US.

Venue - $4000 + $1000 security deposit. Our wedding is at a campground with a beautiful old lodge, and this includes renting out the rest of the campground so guests can stay overnight.

Our guest list is hovering around 90 people.

Food - $5000-ish

Booze - $1000-ish. Doing cocktail hour open bar, cash bar rest of the night.

Photographer - $3500

Flowers - $1700

Cake - $600

DJ - $1800

Officiant - $150

Dress/Suit - $2000-ish

Rings - $1000-ish

Save the Dates/Invitations - $400

We're not doing wedding parties, so that saves considerable money and headaches.

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything, but it looks like we're going to end up right around the 20k mark, which I can live with. We're paying for it ourselves, but we also went the long engagement route. Wedding date is actually exactly 2 years from when I proposed.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 24, 2015

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Here was our budget for a ~75 person wedding:

Venue: $2000
Photography + Videography: $2800
Cake (plus groom's cake): $500
Flowers, rentals, coordination: $3000
Catering: $3000
DJ + lighting: $1300
Officiant: $500
Bartender: $125
Booze: $700
Invitations + postage: $400
Rings: $2500
Favors: $250
Limo: $200
Tips: maybe like $500 total

So about $18,000 total not including wedding dress and tux rental which is probably like an additional $1500 and other random stuff like arts and crafts, gifts to groomsmen/bridesmaid/parents, our hotel cost, etc. So maybe like $20-21k total.

Our wedding was in the Tampa/St. Pete area so not terribly expensive. Venue was ideal and we could not have done any better on price for a similar venue. Photography we paid a premium but his portfolio was fantastic and we decided we wanted to spend more here to ensure quality. He did not disappoint, everything came out perfect. Catering we got a pretty good deal and the food was the best people have had at a catered wedding according to many accounts.

We could have done better on our budget in some areas, but on the other hand our parents were helping us out and I won a nice amount of money in a poker tournament so we were lucky enough not to be too stressed about it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

We're not doing wedding parties, so that saves considerable money and headaches.

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything, but it looks like we're going to end up right around the 20k mark, which I can live with. We're paying for it ourselves, but we also went the long engagement route. Wedding date is actually exactly 2 years from when I proposed.

I think this is the most important thing we are all saying...if you don't want debt from the wedding the safest thing to do is a long engagement. Our wedding is almost 2 years from engagement as well.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
If we're posting budgets, I might as well post mine since we made out like bandits:

Guest List: 135 invited, 117 attended.
Location: Bucks County, PA (relatively affluent area north of Philly)

Wedding Itself:
  • Venue: No Fee (bought out a french B&B/restaurant for the night)
  • Invitations & STDs: $150. Wife bought some crafting supplies, tools, stamps, and high-end papers to make everything herself.
  • Food: About $6000. 6 different kinds of h'orderves, dinner was seafood paella, prime rib carving station, a variety of other sides including roast vegetables, salad, etc for vegetarians. Everything served buffet style, with no assigned seating.
  • Booze: $2000. We went with per-drink pricing from the restaurant's bar. This included some really premium spirits with a skilled bartender, 6 on-tap craft beers, wine service throughout the night, etc. So about 7-8 hours of open bar for under $20/head!
  • Cake: $350. Custom made 3-tier cake from a local cupcake bakery. Each tier was a different flavor, simple pressed-pattern fondant exterior.
  • Photographer: $1300. We went with a skilled guy but didn't go for second shooter, or any other bells and whistles. He left after we cut the cake, probably could have spent a bit more to have more photos of the party, but we have plenty of family ones for that.
  • Guest Transportation: I think it was like $700 for a school bus for the night? Maybe cheaper.
  • Music: $1200 (?) String quartet for the ceremony, cocktail, and dinner hours. We got a HUGE deal on this because we had a friend who marketed for the quartet. Normally would have been like $3000. After dinner, we switched over to the restaurant's speaker system and used a playlist I had painstakingly crafted over the past 3 months, heh. A couple snags there but everyone was pretty sauced up and had a good time.
  • Bridal dress & accessories: $1800*. This got hosed up. Wife liked the look of a dress, but it was $1000. She tried to save a few hundred bucks by having a similar dress made by someone on Etsy. Post office lost dress. Seller did not have any insurance on dress shipment. I say "gently caress it, buy the real deal since we're saving money elsewhere and I want you to feel confident" so we buy the $1000 dress. Etsy dress finally comes in the mail over a month later, but is total poo poo. We eat the cost of the Etsy dress ($600) and chalk it up to life lessons.
  • Groom's suit: I bought a suit and such for $400.
  • Rings: $1400. Wife got an antique platinum ring that happened to match her (new) engagement ring for $995. I got a gold-inlaid cobalt chrome ring from Boone's Rings for $400 or so.
  • Other Crap: Throw on an additional $350 for small costs I missed. We did hand-made some small flower arrangements and boutonnieres from grocery store flowers, other small items, etc. For wedding favors we bought some local cookies and I did a batch of homebrew beer.

Honeymoon: $2500. We rented a cottage on Lake Cayuga in upstate New York and just chilled out for a week. This includes dinners, and like $600 of wine we bought and have been consuming over the past two years.

So, total costs were just about $18,000 for EVERYTHING. The wedding itself was roughly about $120/head if you count all categories of the actual ceremony/wedding costs. We got about $15,000 from both sides of parents, cash wedding gifts came in to about $5800, and we had originally earmarked $8000 of our own savings for the wedding. Se we were fortunate in that we were able to actually keep nearly $9,000 from all "assigned" funds to add to our nest egg.

Which is great because I'm currently unemployed :v:

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 24, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not many people getting videographers, eh?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

smackfu posted:

We kind of wanted one but didn't want to pay the money. My fiancé's father is an editor for video and audio so has a ton of equipment...he is just setting up a bunch of cameras all over the place and will edit it and add music for us.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

smackfu posted:

We never even considered it. The extra costs weren't worth having a video we'd watch...a few times? Photos are easy to get passed around, printed up and hung on the wall, and placed in an album that people can casually browse through if they feel like it. Videos require more dedicated viewing and as such end up mothballed.

Personally, it just seems like a huge up-sell that most people can skip. I also find videographers WAY more intrusive during the ceremony/reception than "normal" photographers. Then again nobody in my family has every been camcorder-happy, so the whole "family movies" thing has never been appealing to us. However, if you find yourself watching family movies a lot, then maybe it's worth it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

LogisticEarth posted:

We never even considered it. The extra costs weren't worth having a video we'd watch...a few times? Photos are easy to get passed around, printed up and hung on the wall, and placed in an album that people can casually browse through if they feel like it. Videos require more dedicated viewing and as such end up mothballed.

Personally, it just seems like a huge up-sell that most people can skip. I also find videographers WAY more intrusive during the ceremony/reception than "normal" photographers. Then again nobody in my family has every been camcorder-happy, so the whole "family movies" thing has never been appealing to us. However, if you find yourself watching family movies a lot, then maybe it's worth it.

Same here. We could say pretty confidently we'd never watch our wedding video more than once so it was absolutely not worth the cost and intrusion.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Same here. We could say pretty confidently we'd never watch our wedding video more than once so it was absolutely not worth the cost and intrusion.

Agree. We didn't think videography was worth the additional cost -- we really valued photography so allocated more budget towards that. In the end we decided to get a budding professional photographer friend do a video for us for a few hundred bucks (he wouldn't have been able to attend our wedding otherwise and we wanted him there), and as lovely as it was, we've only watched it once.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Just got word that another couple tried to reserve our venue for the weekend we wanted. In October 2017. We had dibs though (the check is literally in the mail)!

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008

overdesigned posted:

Just got word that another couple tried to reserve our venue for the weekend we wanted. In October 2017. We had dibs though (the check is literally in the mail)!

Another couple wanted our venue on the same day/time too.... We got penciled-in first because my email came in less than an hour before the other couples'. That should motivate me to stop procrastinating on other things...

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

overdesigned posted:

That's crazy for booking over two years out. Must be a popular venue!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Whereabouts do you live

In Australia, canberra. Not many options here. Might need to get one from interstate.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
Hi, I never thought I would post in this thread.
As a nearly 40 divorced single mom, I had pretty much given up on men and/or ever having a wedding.

I have been dating a fella for over three years, and last week while I was feeling sick, he was rubbing my back and said, casually, hey we should probably get married dont you think? :aaaaa:

So we are trying not to let the crazy take hold. We are planning a 2016 fall ceremony in a lovely local park, with just the officiant (a family friend doing this for a pretty big discount,) our daughters, and our parents and best friends. We want to involve our girls in the ceremony a lot as it is a promise to them as well, that we will be a family unit going forward.

We already ordered my dream ring from etsy, got my dress, and I plan on making flower crowns for me and the girls myself. The park only allows a 20 person, 20 minute ceremony, so that is simple and gives is a great reason to keep it easy and quick. Also it's FREE.

We still need dresses for the kids, one who is six and one who will be 16 at the time ( and currently has teal hair shaved on the sides but hopefully she and I can work that out in a year's time.) We have a photographer friend too. Amazing how things work out when you are established adults.

We are planning a big craft beer and bbq party after the ceremony, so that's really all that's left to plan! We have two favorite bbq places that both cater, we just need a big backyard in which to party. We are doing Honeyfund for gifts because we are grownups and dont need any home stuff. What we need is a vacation. I am so excited to spend the rest of my life with this wonderful, sweet man, and our children.

appleskates fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 26, 2015

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

appleskates posted:

I am so excited to spend the rest of my life with this wonderful, sweet man, and our children.

That's an awesome story, congrats appleskates!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

appleskates posted:

Hi, I never thought I would post in this thread.

Congratulations on marrying Paul Rudd!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

This time next week I will be married. This last week is going to be a trying one as all the stress and planning starts to come together!

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

19 o'clock posted:

Congratulations on marrying Paul Rudd!

Right?!? :allears:

So anyway, we are a year out and have all three rings, my dress, his suit, an officiant, a caterer, a venue for the ceremony (but not the reception), so I think we are doing pretty well. I have two professional photographer friends, so we will see who is available and more affordable I guess. We need dresses for the girls. My daughter agreed to dye her hair back red for the wedding. I got this, my lovely dress, on sale at David's for $70!

And this is my ring. It's a twig ring with a white topaz.

And we bought these for the girls' gifts.

appleskates fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 28, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

All you folks spending 15-20k or more on weddings, are y'all just...going into debt for this stuff?

Not judging, I'm just curious. I can't imagine coming up with 10k grand in a year to blow on a one day party, let alone double or triple that (factoring in a honeymoon and whatever else).

Our wedding budget was about $15k that was split in three between my wife, myself, and my parents (we're doing a second ceremony for my wife's family overseas and her parents are covering that entirely). We ended up needing to borrow a little under $5k to take care of everything but fortunately my parents had just made a bunch of money off of selling rental property and offered to lend us what we needed, which we plan to pay back ASAP but hey at least it's interest free. Also complicating things was the fact that we moved for my wife's job about three months before the wedding, which cost us at least $5k if not more (not to mention I was out of work for six weeks as a result).

At the same time, it was the most fun I've ever had and even a month later my mom still has people telling her it was the best wedding they've ever been to and blah blah blah, so it was worth it. Plus my wife has a master plan lined out to be making six figures by the time she's 30, so if we're still in debt then she can just polish that off for us :v:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Did any of you get your marriage certificate before the ceremony? My fiance is pretty gung-ho about this, and I'm just learning that this is a thing.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Did any of you get your marriage certificate before the ceremony? My fiance is pretty gung-ho about this, and I'm just learning that this is a thing.

What do you mean? Like get courthouse married before the ceremony?

You NEED to get the marriage license before the ceremony or there's nothing to sign and the whole ceremony does jack poo poo in terms of actually legally binding you together.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes, definitely get your marriage license before the actual ceremony. Be sure to look up well in advance the requirements and restrictions for said license too, for example in Michigan where my wife and I got married we had to use the license within 30 days of receiving, and also because we were out-of-state residents we had to use it in the city where we obtained it. Also ask about any exceptions that might help you out; there was normally a 3-day waiting period between applying for and receiving our license, but for an additional fee we were able to get ours same-day. Pretty handy when we weren't able to get into town until ~36 hours before our ceremony.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Mandalay posted:

Yes get your marriage license beforehand, then after your ceremony you will sign it, along with your officiant and some witnesses. The officiant mails the license in, and then you'll get the marriage certificate in the mail a few weeks later (at least this is how it worked in my state).

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
We got ours this past friday, even though the wedding isn't until 10/24

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Porkchop Express posted:

We got ours this past friday, even though the wedding isn't until 10/24

Yes, get that marriage license because depending on where you are it can take some time. If I had to go downtown for mine it could have taken 30 days. Also, keep in mind marriage licenses are only good for so many days (mine is good for 60 days), so don't get it so early that it expires!

Side note: Bring a pen to the ceremony. Usually the officiant will need to sign it along with a witness for each side (Best Man and Maid of Honor is typical).

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

What songs do I need to play at my wedding? So far I have Morrisey's Kick the Bride Down the Aisle.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

A lot of places will let you apply online and pick it up at the courthouse later. We did this and then the courthouse shut down due to snow the week of our wedding and we almost didn't get the license because of it and ended up getting it the day before the wedding and oh god it was so stressful.

Our official wouldn't even let us rehearse until he had the license in his hands.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we are doing the license stuff right now. Fun things in Connecticut:

1) Only good for 65 days.
2) Must be from city where the ceremony takes place.
3) Requires both parties to be present to show ID.
4) Form requires full names and birth place for all parents.
5) Driver's license is sufficient ID.

I find the ID stuff annoying since we are getting married by a justice of the peace which is a pretty tightly controlled position in this state, and should certainly be able to check IDs at the time of signing.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 29, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
We got our license ~2 weeks ago for our October 30 wedding, because in NY it's good 24 hours after we receive it (so we could have gone back at 2pm and got married, since we got ours ~1:15 or so) and up to 60 days. It said on the license when it expires, which was handy. Ours is basically the same as smackfu except you can get yours in any county in the state and it's good for any marriage done in any part of NYS, though we went into Manhattan because I wanted to start planning our day of timeline and that's where we'll be getting married.

Speaking of, we have 31 days left and I'm counting down every day! I just bought us some teeth whitening strips and while there have been some kinks (I bought purple fake flowers and got blue ones thanks to a seller/listing error, but he's upgrading me to the next size up, so not the worst mistake to have happen) my outfit is almost done and his hasn't even been thought about. We're still planning our timeline but it's looking to be a pretty freaking awesome day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And here all my state wants is photo ID. You can even fill it out when you get it and hand it right back. You can even solemnize it yourself.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

In California they are good for 90 days, and we got ours instantly. The county clerks website said that we needed to know the county out parents were born in, but they never actually asked us that. We just filled out our info at a computer terminal, the clerk verified it and gave us our license.

It didn't take too long, but we had to wait for a few people that got there right as the doors opened who were getting married at the clerks office. One of which I realized is a friend of a friend when I saw a comment pop up on Facebook and I recognized the guy.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Our wedding budget was about $15k that was split in three between my wife, myself, and my parents (we're doing a second ceremony for my wife's family overseas and her parents are covering that entirely). We ended up needing to borrow a little under $5k to take care of everything but fortunately my parents had just made a bunch of money off of selling rental property and offered to lend us what we needed, which we plan to pay back ASAP but hey at least it's interest free. Also complicating things was the fact that we moved for my wife's job about three months before the wedding, which cost us at least $5k if not more (not to mention I was out of work for six weeks as a result).

At the same time, it was the most fun I've ever had and even a month later my mom still has people telling her it was the best wedding they've ever been to and blah blah blah, so it was worth it. Plus my wife has a master plan lined out to be making six figures by the time she's 30, so if we're still in debt then she can just polish that off for us :v:

Did you guys do anything in particular to make it fun, or was it more the people? I love our scenic outdoor venue, but I'm a little worried that people are going to leave after dinner because there won't be much of a party atmosphere since it's outside. We are getting a big dance floor and a DJ, but there probably won't be special lighting. I was thinking of getting some LEDs to put around the dance floor, but it won't be the same as being in an inside venue specifically made for weddings/parties.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's tons of cool poo poo you can do outside if you spend effort and/or money

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Someone say outside wedding? Because this happened today

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

ch3cooh posted:

Someone say outside wedding? Because this happened today

Beautiful! Congratulations.

I'm officially in planning mode (not much planning needed for a city hall wedding but my FMIL is insisting on getting us a car so I need to coordinate us and the photographer since we have 3 locations for pictures) and how is there not enough time in 29 days? Our rings are ordered but we won't be picking them up till the 17th, I have to make lunch reservations but people keep being added and removed so I have to wait on that for another week or too. I just want to fast forward this entire month until the 30th plz

ilysespieces fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 1, 2015

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Man this weekend is like the last thing we have to do planning wise and I'm so glad. My mom has been helping us a lot but she can be very aggressive, she doesn't mean to be but it's just how her personality is. I can handle it ok but it stresses my girlfriend the duck out. I am used to getting 9 texts in a row from my mom's stream of consciousness, my girlfriend not so much.

Now the only thing I really have to do is get my sister to keep my mom settled down on the day of so she doesn't stress anyone out. I know my mom means well but she stresses so much about everything that it can run off to other people if they aren't used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putang
Dec 19, 2005

Hi wedding people. I'm mitztronic's other (better) half. I'm currently deep in planning our second wedding for our family members and I just came across a really handy spreadsheet template on google sheets. Thought someone in here would appreciate it! :)