Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jamal posted:

Would not exactly be my ideal choice but from looking at available tires it seems to be your best option. How wide are the wheels? If the front's 7.5-8 you're definitely ok, but a wide 225 on a 7" rim is a little pinched. I put 225 hankook v12s on my 17x7s but if I were on something like an RS3 which is a good bit wider I would want an 8" wheel.

7.5 front, 9 rear. Looks like I can get Star Specs in 225/45 and 245/45, which lowers the car 6mm in the front and 4.5mm in the rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there a general consensus on the best full faced helmet for people who wear glasses?

I somehow lost mine and need a replacement. With my kart the glasses would always be an issue and after about 7 laps they'd be out of place and scratching up my nose.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Could it be a glasses problem, not a helmet problem? I have never had a problem with glasses with any of my helmets (mostly geforces).

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there a general consensus on the best full faced helmet for people who wear glasses?

I used to have a set of flexon glasses for wearing in my helmet. Never could get stiff frames to stay put.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

1500quidporsche posted:

I somehow lost mine and need a replacement. With my kart the glasses would always be an issue and after about 7 laps they'd be out of place and scratching up my nose.

You're going to be moving your head considerably less in a car, that should help. I'm not a glasses wearer so I can't offer specific advice.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Is it your helmet size maybe? I've never had a problem wearing glasses under a helmet, but my helmet is pretty snug. I can't get it on over my glasses, I have to lift the visor and put them after putting the helmet on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's more the thicker foam of the helmet ending in an odd place that forces the glasses to sit like a an eighth of an inch above where they would normally rest on my ear. It is worth mentioning that it likely is probably just the fact that it's karting, I never had an issue with my helmet before that but I didn't use glasses before that either. If that thicker foam went just a little bit higher that would probably be enough to hold the glasses in place.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I have no complaints about wearing glasses with my HJC AR-10 (pretty sure that's the model). Take them off to put the helmet on, then put the glasses on.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I find that really thick plastic frames help. My regular glasses are a bit annoying to line up in my HJC helmet, but my rayban knockoff prescription sunglasses are perfect so I usually wear those all the time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've had no issues with my Bell Sport and my various glasses over the years, including my huge rear end Persols.

Man, I need to buy a new helmet this year, fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I also use a Bell Sport with glasses with no complaints. I don't do karting, though.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

I went to the the race kit shop with my glasses and prescription sunglasses and tried on helmets until i found one comfortable for both, for me that was the HJC AR-10 II

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

TWSS posted:

I went to the the race kit shop with my glasses and prescription sunglasses and tried on helmets until i found one comfortable for both, for me that was the HJC AR-10 II

This is the correct answer. It is so important to try on helmets before buying. I used a Bell Sport III from 2004 to 2010, and when it came time to upgrade, I went and tried on the Bell model that replaced it. Totally different shape, didn't fit me at all. I tried on 10 or 12 helmets in an hour until I finally ended up with an Arai GP5.

In about a week, all the manufacturers will put their Snell SA2015 helmets on the market. This means that everyone who sells helmets will put the SA2010 stuff on blowout. An SA2010 helmet purchased this year is good until January 1, 2021, and you should be replacing your helmet every 5 years anyway, so buying a discount SA10 lid in October is a great way to save a bunch of money.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can you nerds not just wear contacts?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

I have a fair sensitivity to sunlight so i use my sunglasses. I know I can get a dark visor but I like my sunglasses.

I also have a lovely dash for reflections, so my sunglasses are polarised which makes visibility much better.

I also have contact lenses so yeah.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Savington posted:

In about a week, all the manufacturers will put their Snell SA2015 helmets on the market. This means that everyone who sells helmets will put the SA2010 stuff on blowout. An SA2010 helmet purchased this year is good until January 1, 2021, and you should be replacing your helmet every 5 years anyway, so buying a discount SA10 lid in October is a great way to save a bunch of money.

I need to shop around and get one that actually fits this time. My current one was cheap but it's expiring and gives me a headache about an hour and a half.

Actually anyone know of a place with good selection around San Fransisco? Out here for another week, much better chance finding a place with inventory here than back home.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Goddamn hell loving yes

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

HJC AR10 was fine with my sunglasses. I hope the new version fits the same as my current one. There aren't too many places to try on helmets that I know of so I shipped one back initially and got lucky with the HJC on the 2nd try.

Anybody know of places in the Detroit area that sells motorsport helmets?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Bape Culture posted:

I couldn't, I found that the vibration would cause them to shake around on the surface of my eye, blurring my vision.

Wearing glasses in the helmet is never going to be 100% comfortable. I had laser vision correction earlier this year and it's much more convenient.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Some of the Sheep posted:

I couldn't, I found that the vibration would cause them to shake around on the surface of my eye, blurring my vision.

Wearing glasses in the helmet is never going to be 100% comfortable. I had laser vision correction earlier this year and it's much more convenient.

Pretty sure that's why CIK requires you to have been wearing contacts regularly for at least a year prior to using them while in a kart.

Honestly its a bit annoying because they only reason I ended up getting glasses was because the doctor filing out my medical form was a bit mental and wouldn't pass me despite my vision being legal for regular day to day driving.

Edit: worth mentioning that for whatever reason the SA2010 G-force helmet has no issues with glasses for me whereas the old 2005 was unbearable.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 28, 2015

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I need to shop around and get one that actually fits this time. My current one was cheap but it's expiring and gives me a headache about an hour and a half.

Actually anyone know of a place with good selection around San Fransisco? Out here for another week, much better chance finding a place with inventory here than back home.

Make the drive to Sears Point/Sonoma and pick one up from Wine Country Motorsports. That's where my last one and my next one will come from.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Savington posted:

Make the drive to Sears Point/Sonoma and pick one up from Wine Country Motorsports. That's where my last one and my next one will come from.

I'll try to run up there before I head home, thanks.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Glasses vs. Contacts:

I've done both. They both suck in their own ways. Now that I have a job that pays real actual money I'm getting all-laser wavefront LASIK. Then we shall see which is best in life. I do know that LASIK can disqualify you for certain jobs like being a pilot and such. I know plenty of pro drivers out there do glasses or contacts but I'm not personally aware of any with LASIK though, not that I'll ever be a pro by any stretch.

EDIT: LASIK is done, yay!

When can I get on track Doc?

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 30, 2015

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Larrymer posted:

Anybody know of places in the Detroit area that sells motorsport helmets?

Averill Racing Stuff. Shop is in Madison Heights just north of 12 mile and mostly services open wheel cars. I've bought all of my safety gear from him. He is a RedLine oil dealer too.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
my company has a points-based recognition system where you can get free stuff for doing your job right and they have tickets to the us grand prix

the good seats are 13k+ each and i have 500 :smithicide:

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

deep impact on vhs posted:

my company has a points-based recognition system where you can get free stuff for doing your job right and they have tickets to the us grand prix

the good seats are 13k+ each and i have 500 :smithicide:

A guy in my racing group is selling a 3 day ticket with a turn 9 grandstand seat for $300...

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

sig11 posted:

A guy in my racing group is selling a 3 day ticket with a turn 9 grandstand seat for $300...

if i lived in austin or anywhere nearby i'd leap on it

the vip 3 day pass is 132,500 points so all i'd need to pay for is transportation from michigan

i wanna go next year and support haas f1 in their first home grand prix but i doubt it's gonna happen ._.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I'll be doing my first ever track day in November. It's with MVP at Road Atlanta. I don't plan on changing anything on the car since I'm a track virgin and won't push it all that hard. What's the group-think on MVP these days?

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012
So I convinced one of our partners to pay for a track day for a bunch of customers. Rented two stock cars and a couple of us took our own cars out, was a lot of fun. Doing "work" at the track = win.

I took my buddy out who had never had any seat time before. The prior session I was rolling the tires well past the indicator so some recommended adding 1.5lbs of pressure.

That ended up being no bueno as the car was on ice skates for my ride with him, just wasn't able to hit my line at all and I know this track like the back of my hand. Anyway, video below is from his perspective, I dropped the back right tire off track at about 90 at one point and he told me he almost needed a new set of pants after that.

On a related note, that was my first time seeing a Z28 on the track and wow, I was real impressed. Bought the wife a 2010 SS/RS that had bolt ons and it was a joke but the Z28 seems to do very well on the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5NcIsdwVSo

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I almost Spec Miata'd our race start on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muwfr52SxlQ

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Should the white car have given you room or was he justified in taking the racing line?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

eriddy posted:

Should the white car have given you room or was he justified in taking the racing line?

He left a car width, what are you talking about?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Doesn't even need to leave that much, NASA only requires 3/4 a car width. Although I never made it to his front fender so I was entitled to 0 room.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Some of the Sheep posted:

He left a car width, what are you talking about?

What I was asking was whether the white car was at fault for squeezing out the driver.

FatCow posted:

Doesn't even need to leave that much, NASA only requires 3/4 a car width. Although I never made it to his front fender so I was entitled to 0 room.

This is the answer to my question. Thanks for this, also really good job with the save.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone doing the CHUMP race this weekend want to share a pit stall with us?
It appears we have to double up.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
CHUMPCar Chumpionship 16hr race.
31st / 70
3:05 was the fastest lap of the day.
Laundry list of work to do on the car including head check and head gasket replacement.
Was a total blast and we are looking forward to April.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I'm up to Summit Point Main this weekend with NASA. Anyone else there?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Sigma X posted:

I'm up to Summit Point Main this weekend with NASA. Anyone else there?

https://youtu.be/fmBoW8XuUWY

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Why is it always the HPDE-1 group that has the drivers who refuse to get passed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dave Inc. posted:

Why is it always the HPDE-1 group that has the drivers who refuse to get passed?

What I've noticed is that there are two problems here. First, there are guys that are so focused on "winning" that they intentionally don't give point by's, and they are dicks. The second is the person that's completely oblivious and their instructor is just trying to keep their attention on the car that they are driving, which is more forgivable, but less so as the day goes on.