Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fong posted:

No no guys he's right you could literally be born anywhere and it would make no difference. When someone asks where you're from you just give them a GPS location because it matters about the same.

Noxin of Shame posted:

That nothing to do with being proud. It's loving luck.

I'm lucky to have been born in New Zealand. I'm proud that I'm not a dick about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I really wish I was born in North Korea

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Infotainment! posted:

"Haha shame oval office, born in Bangladesh. What a fuckin loser bro"

Same except replace Bangladesh with New Zealand.

-neutrino-
Nov 4, 2008

fong posted:

Let's call off parliament, that shits expensive yo

Or vote to reduce the number of MPs to 99

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Patriotism is a cancer.

I am proud that we banned nukes. I am proud that we allowed prostitution to be legal and banned assaulting children.

I am disgusted that our current govt didn't want to bring in refugees, and when they finally acquiesced it was with a pitiful offer. I am disgusted that any opposition to nationals policy only called for doubling the quota and are happy for our quota to match other countries quotas because if everyone else is doing it then it must be right.

Patriotism is willful ignorance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

I am proud that we banned nukes.

Why are you proud of this? Nuclear weapons are terrible, but that's neither here nor there seeing as we'll never have any. Nuclear power is A Good Thing and will now never happen because of retarded, ill-thought-out crowd pleasing policy from decades ago.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

klen dool posted:

Patriotism is a cancer.

I am proud that we banned nukes. I am proud that we allowed prostitution to be legal and banned assaulting children.

I am disgusted that our current govt didn't want to bring in refugees, and when they finally acquiesced it was with a pitiful offer. I am disgusted that any opposition to nationals policy only called for doubling the quota and are happy for our quota to match other countries quotas because if everyone else is doing it then it must be right.

Patriotism is willful ignorance.
Wut

Patriotism doesn't mind blindly accepting everything your country does as awesome. In fact, I'd argue the opposite: to blindly love your country regardless of fault is not patriotism, because somebody who actually gave a drat would see their country's faults and try to improve it for the better. A patriot sees their country for what it is, and it proud of the things that work, and tries to fix the things that don't. The word you're looking for is jingoism, which is a different beast entirely.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Because it was taking an insignificant but socially right stand against the proliferation of nuclear weapons as part of Mutually Assured Destruction. To boot, it was done through intelligently thought-out popular policy rather than the knee-jerk urgency crap we write now so the only obstacle to rolling out a power station is the same public opinion that asked for legislation against nuclear weapons.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Slavvy posted:

Why are you proud of this? Nuclear weapons are terrible, but that's neither here nor there seeing as we'll never have any. Nuclear power is A Good Thing and will now never happen because of retarded, ill-thought-out crowd pleasing policy from decades ago.

We didn't ban nuclear power, iirc. We banned nuclear weapons.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wut

Patriotism doesn't mind blindly accepting everything your country does as awesome. In fact, I'd argue the opposite: to blindly love your country regardless of fault is not patriotism, because somebody who actually gave a drat would see their country's faults and try to improve it for the better. A patriot sees their country for what it is, and it proud of the things that work, and tries to fix the things that don't. The word you're looking for is jingoism, which is a different beast entirely.

Well yes if you redefine what patriotism is, or rather how its practice, then you are correct. But if you accept my definition, then you are not.

Either way, this disagreement can be resolved merely by agreeing on definitions of terms.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

We didn't ban nuclear power, iirc. We banned nuclear weapons.

We banned nuclear powered vessels irrespective of whether they had nuclear armament or not, from what I know. As far as the public at large is concerned there's effectively no difference anyway.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Slavvy posted:

Nuclear power is A Good Thing

From what frame of reference? Yeah, it's better than burning coal. But surely wind and solar energies are cheaper, don't have radioactive waste to bury, and once the plant/turbine has passed it's used by date it doesn't take decades to decommission and make safe.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

We banned nuclear powered vessels irrespective of whether they had nuclear armament or not, from what I know. As far as the public at large is concerned there's effectively no difference anyway.

Out of curiosity: how much radiation leakage is possible with a crashed/blown up nuclear vessel, anyone know?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How much fuel would leak from a crashed ship? That's an impossible question to answer dude way way too many variables

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Two Finger posted:

How much fuel would leak from a crashed ship? That's an impossible question to answer dude way way too many variables

Ahhh, true. I would assume that the reactors are heavily shielded and I have no idea of the strength of the fuel. Time for some research I think.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

Because the US wouldn't guarantee that we could inspect their nuclear powered ships for weapons while they were docked here, and to this day the number of nuclear ships that aren't warships is incredibly small due to the expense of running them. We banned them because it was a loophole that would've ended in the US parking their nuclear warships here while insisting they had no weapons on board, refusing access to verify that, and without holding liability for any nuclear accident. We banned nuclear vessels because we were against nuclear-powered war, not just nuclear weapons.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

We banned nuclear weapons (ship-bourne or otherwise), not ships. The US decided that they would not confirm or deny if their ships carried nuclear weapons - the US banned their own ships.

We would have at the time been happy to have nuclear powered ships and subs, as long as they didn't carry weapons. I mean, I wouldn't be happy but that's not because of nuclear power.

It is unfortunate that we effectively banned nuclear power in the minds of the public as a side effect. I hope one day that can change.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Because the US wouldn't guarantee that we could inspect their nuclear powered ships for weapons while they were docked here, and to this day the number of nuclear ships that aren't warships is incredibly small due to the expense of running them. We banned them because it was a loophole that would've ended in the US parking their nuclear warships here while insisting they had no weapons on board, refusing access to verify that, and without holding liability for any nuclear accident. We banned nuclear vessels because we were against nuclear-powered war, not just nuclear weapons.

Or maybe this is correct, and I recall wrong.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Out of curiosity: how much radiation leakage is possible with a crashed/blown up nuclear vessel, anyone know?

IANAP but I reckon that worst case scenario would be the core falling into cook strait or something, and water is pretty good at shielding radiation, and the effects would be negligible.

But maybe someone who is a physicist would better be able to answer that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Noxin of Shame posted:

From what frame of reference? Yeah, it's better than burning coal. But surely wind and solar energies are cheaper, don't have radioactive waste to bury, and once the plant/turbine has passed it's used by date it doesn't take decades to decommission and make safe.

The problem with solar is you need constant sunlight which NZ doesn't have because we're a little short on deserts and tend to have changeable weather at best, but this might change if there's a drastic advance in solar cell technology.

Wind is hilariously expensive when you take into account the public resistance to having turbines anywhere useful or practical; putting them out in the sea is neither cheap nor efficient.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Noxin of Shame posted:

That is the key point for New Zealand. We've got so much untapped, totally renewable power generation potential in this country that we really don't need to worry about how efficient or safe nuclear power is, relative to anything. Right at the moment we're sending up to 15% of the entire power generation of New Zealand down to a single aluminium smelter in the South Island, and that is just going to get freed up when that closes down.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm pretty sure I've read a Massey research paper that shows the cost/benefit ratio of a single nuclear power station in NZ does not really make it any more economically viable than renewables.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/72497269/john-key-announces-one-of-the-worlds-largest-ocean-sanctuaries

Hey look, we can be proud of something our government did.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

klen dool posted:

It is unfortunate that we effectively banned nuclear power in the minds of the public as a side effect. I hope one day that can change.
Given the high chances of earthquakes in NZ Nuclear might not be a safe option.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yea I'm not opposed to nuclear power but given our earthquake risk and abundant renewable resources it doesn't make sense here.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

How long until Key sells them?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm a big proponent of nuclear in most cases but I agree, we are simply not hungry enough to need it given the other natural options available. That said, not every country has that luxury.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We could push for deep-sea current turbines, apparently the Strait is a pretty good spot to experiment, and there are plenty of coastal nations in need of a long-term and stable energy supplement.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Slavvy posted:

Is what people said before a combination of Fukushima and the Christchurch earthquakes reminded everyone how what a terrible idea a terrestrial nuclear power plant in New Zealand would be.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Pararoid posted:

Is what people said before a combination of Fukushima and the Christchurch earthquakes reminded everyone how what a terrible idea a terrestrial nuclear power plant in New Zealand would be.

So, space nukes?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pararoid posted:

But to be fair, those people are obviously unaware that Fukushima weathered the earthquake in a textbook manner, it was the 13 foot tsunami that killed it.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ghostlight posted:

But to be fair, those people are obviously unaware that Fukushima weathered the earthquake in a textbook manner, it was the 13 foot tsunami that killed it.

Yes exactly, the outcomes of major seismic events are extremely unpredictable.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I saw a preview for a 3News article on this which said 'but how many livelihoods will it destroy?'

Does anyone know wtf they were on about? There's nothing about any negative aspect on their own site.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

truther posted:

I saw a preview for a 3News article on this which said 'but how many livelihoods will it destroy?'

Does anyone know wtf they were on about? There's nothing about any negative aspect on their own site.

I assume they're talking about the livelihoods of British Petroleum, and ExxonMobil?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
That's a ridiculous angle to take, even for 3News...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the wireless they said it was 'the fishing industry' who were whining.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

On the wireless they said it was 'the fishing industry' who were whining.

Oh no not 15% of our waters, where ever shall they go in the entire Pacific Ocean????

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

truther posted:

Let me guess: 3News' resident angry rodent Paddy Gower trying to sensationalise something?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It will destroy a lot of fish livelihoods, because they won't be able to find work as human food anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fukushima did very well considering, even the radiation leak has been over blown all out of proportion, that said, back up generators in the basement is dumb as hell. If you do put down a nuke plant in NZ, you would do it on the shores of Lake Taupo. If Taupo blows, we would all be kissing our asses goodbye anyway.

• Locked thread