Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The worst thing about that house is the pages long derails it causes by people falling over themselves to point out what an idiot he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

And he got himself into this position by buying a very expensive and complicated thing without professional help.

Many of his "hidden by flipper" items should have been found by a competent inspector. With just a handful of those found it would quickly become obvious to anyone with experience that the house had a high likelihood of having a bunch of terrible work hidden beyond the reach of a standard non-destructive inspection. At that point a competent person would look at the sales history and see it was held for only a short duration by the last owners. This is your obvious BIG RED FLAG.

It doesn't mean "no way in hell you should buy this house", unless you are looking for something that is move-in ready. But it means that you need to agree with the seller on more destructive inspections with a contract provision to refuse the home if a certain threshold is met, as well as money off the selling price or put into escrow to correct any found or unfound defects.

For most people, this is a house to walk away from. But for the right person and a motivated seller that knows they screwed up and are under pressure of carrying the mortgage and losing their rear end on their flip it may work out.

In many states inspection and appraisal reports stick with the house for a minimum of 6 months. This is always a great bargaining chip if you are willing to deal with something in this state.

I blame HGTV for this. Stay at home mom in desperate need of more money? Go flip a house it's soo easy anyone can do it! And after the flip, you will be providing a future home owner with a modern, updated, safe(ish) house that they could not possibly have remodeled on their own!

I would hardly say that most people would have walked away from that house. Most of the poo poo I remember seeing (like the Coax connections. . .) was hidden to where a standard home inspection would not have found anything unusual. The real estate agent probably should have known something was up based on the paperwork, but the real estate agent was supposedly trustworthy. Hindsight is of course 20/20 but I cant blame the guy since I don't think any other buyer would have done destructive inspections and other stuff in the same situation.

Antifreeze Head posted:

There were some hilariously lovely things that happened in that house, like the coax connections just being a faceplate and six inches of wire in the wall. And the shingles dumped into the back yard.

There are other things where he is blaming the flipper for stuff that isn't exactly the flipper's fault. Like the bargain basement dishwasher.

There are also things where he is taking a really stupid approach to fixing, like the water leak under the stoop. After deciding that he was tired of mixing concrete (after about five bags of the stuff) he used up three cans of spray foam as a bandaid solution when the real solution was to break up a little bit of the driveway to get access then just start shovelling stuff in. Stuff like all the crap from his yard, shingles and all, to fill the hole, THEN patch up above. But no, he decided to just pour concrete without doing any sort of prep work.

Now he says he needs $5000 to fix that, which overestimates costs by around $4900 because he can't think his way out of a wet paper sack.

I can forgive that kind of stuff since the point of the website is to show the crappy work done by the flipper, the owner is obviously not a professional. He is just another home owner trying to DIY everything and save money, at least he is documenting his gently caress ups and not trying to hide his mess to sell it onto another victim.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If I were that dude, I would be desperately calling, faxing, emailing, and writing letters to Mike Holmes and every major TV network asking them to do a show where they fix my stupid broken house.

Bonus drama for confronting the flipper with a reporter jogging after the flipper with a camera screeching "why do you lie to people?"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

canyoneer posted:

If I were that dude, I would be desperately calling, faxing, emailing, and writing letters to Mike Holmes and every major TV network asking them to do a show where they fix my stupid broken house.

Bonus drama for confronting the flipper with a reporter jogging after the flipper with a camera screeching "why do you lie to people?"

It's been a while since I read that blog, but I think "the flipper" is a mysterious holding corporation that was mis-filed and no one can figure out who actually owned the house.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Safety Dance posted:

It's been a while since I read that blog, but I think "the flipper" is a mysterious holding corporation that was mis-filed and no one can figure out who actually owned the house.

If you had time and money you could subpoena the sellers realtor, then subpoena their contact and repeat down the line.

New story: when I lived in west philly the neighbor hired a contractor to do a ton of work, Windows, doors, New kitchen etc, and he had the Windows delivered and convinced her to pay him 75 or 80% of the total job up front. She like an idiot did and he ran off with her money. Her place wasn't livable so she was staying with someone and 3 months later I see her talking to the police out front. She had never changed the locks so the contractor came back and stole all the Windows and anything else not nailed down.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Safety Dance posted:

He's got some info now on the seller, including his name, address, phone number, fiancee's name, their wedding date and location. And the person is "wanted for questioning" by the Anoka county sheriff. But apparently all the sheriff has done is leave a voicemail? You've got that that much info on the guy and if he really did theft by swindle nearly a hundred thousand dollars you'd think they could send a squad car or detective or something to camp at his house and find him.

I mean, like with all things, it'd be nice to get a perspective from the other side. Not from the flipper, but like from someone with more sense. Here's what an inspection should have caught, here's what the realtor should have caught, here's actual legal recourse (aka is it really legal to flip a house like that?).

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

FISHMANPET posted:

... their wedding date and location. And the person is "wanted for questioning" by the Anoka county sheriff...

Sounds like they know where and when to find him for questioning.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nah, Kastein is literally replacing his house with a new house one piece at a time.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, Kastein is literally replacing his house with a new house one piece at a time.

Hopefully his title won't weigh sixty pounds.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

20 years from now

"Oh this? Well it's a 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 domicile..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

E: f,b by 12 fuckin hours. don't post while sleep deprived kiddos.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 29, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, from how I understand Kastein's thread, he got that house dirt-cheap because he knew he more-or-less needed to replace his house with a new house one piece at a time.

Yep, his first thread (now in archives) has right in the op:

Kastein posted:

I really wanted to build my own instead of buying, but I didn't have the startup capital to do that from scratch while paying rent, and I didn't want anything to do with a mortgage. So I did the next best thing. I bought a wreck of a foreclosure, did my own home inspection, and paid cash, fully intending to effectively rebuild it from the inside out.

So yeah, going into a house like that knowing full well that it's a piece of poo poo is totally different from paying for a "move-in ready" house, expecting it to be livable, but have it turn out to be a total piece of poo poo.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I also went the Kastein route of purchasing a shitheap and fixing it. Mine was probably in better structural condition but looked like the house that was used for True Detective.

EDIT for a look at the craziness I bought.

Antifreeze Head posted:

My previous owner likes the look of textured plaster, so he covered two floor's worth of walls in drywall mud that he made customs swooshes in. He then painted it pink and nailed towels over top of all that. And that's just the walls, on the ceilings he nailed silk flowers and beer mats.

So, you know, four layers of wall paper isn't that bad.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 29, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a company build a house and they have a 1 year warranty on everything. Today a worker is out fixing the dozen or so nail pops that have appeared. Not bad.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

I also went the Kastein route of purchasing a shitheap and fixing it. Mine was probably in better structural condition but looked like the house that was used for True Detective.

EDIT for a look at the craziness I bought.

T-towels?

I know that fabric wall coverings are getting to be/were a thing for a little while, which seems absolutely stupid to me. Can't decide if this is worse due to execution, or better for having not spent a couple grand on it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a whole bunch of severed heads under the floorboards, I just know it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GreenNight posted:

I had a company build a house and they have a 1 year warranty on everything. Today a worker is out fixing the dozen or so nail pops that have appeared. Not bad.

1 year? There's a mandatory minimum 10 year guarantee on all new houses in the UK. The one I bought a couple of months ago has some mediocre plumbing angles and one light that hangs just slightly too low and gets clipped by a door if opened fully. Stuff that's literally quicker to fix myself for free then call someone out.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrYenko posted:

This is why my mind was blown. Should didn't apply.

For some reason, someone decided to get the power from the indoor wiring of the house rather than run a cable from the outdoor power source?

Seems weird though even if the controller in in the indoor unit and the outdoor unit is just a dumb contactor and compressor, because then that switch would turn off the outdoor unit too as it would lose control power. But maybe there was a previous system there that had indoor control circuit and just a dumb outdoor unit.

That being said, the amount of times I've been in a roof space and wished there was a switch just for the indoor fan is millions of times, eg checking fan start up current, checking for start squealing (bearing going out), or checking/adjusting/replacing vee belts. Can't do any of that poo poo as easy or on a whim when you are standing outside switching the main isolator or circuit breaker off, or down the hall turning the thermostat/controller off and on with roof space FCUs. So much time wasted on domestic a/cs going back and forth.
E: I did my apprenticeship on bigger stuff and you bet you could just turn a fan off only right next to the drat thing.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 30, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

NancyPants posted:

T-towels?

I know that fabric wall coverings are getting to be/were a thing for a little while, which seems absolutely stupid to me. Can't decide if this is worse due to execution, or better for having not spent a couple grand on it.

Yes! Towels everywhere! The ceiling was covered with silk flowers, just stapled up there like they belong.

The guy that had it was (in addition to suffering from dementia, possibly being bipolar and definitely being an alcoholic) an English professor who also fancied himself something of an artist. I like to think the towels were his nod to Medieval tapestries.

And while there were no heads below the floor boards, I did find some essays he marked in 1986 then forgot about in the attic, plus several dead cats (natural causes) under an addition.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Post the autopsy results.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I assume it was natural causes anyway, or at they weren't butchered.

They could have been victims of bio magnification as there were a lot of Warfarin traps out for mice.

One was curled up in a toilet that had been discarded underneath that addition.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Antifreeze Head posted:

One was curled up in a toilet that had been discarded underneath that addition.
:catdrugs:
Taking bets on cat named Elvis.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

1 year? There's a mandatory minimum 10 year guarantee on all new houses in the UK. The one I bought a couple of months ago has some mediocre plumbing angles and one light that hangs just slightly too low and gets clipped by a door if opened fully. Stuff that's literally quicker to fix myself for free then call someone out.

Most tract builders in the states are LLCs that are out of business and dissolved by 18 months after they finish the neighborhood.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
There are plenty of tract builders that don't operate like that (Veridian, who made GreenNight's house, has been operating since the 50s). But yeah, there are plenty of those and mandatory 10 year warranty would make them even more compelling.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah no doubt. No issues yet but who knows in 5 years. At least the city is putting fiber internet into my neighborhood first. 250 Meg's up and down for 70/mo? Yes please.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Is that The Weeknd?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GreenNight posted:

Yeah no doubt. No issues yet but who knows in 5 years. At least the city is putting fiber internet into my neighborhood first. 250 Meg's up and down for 70/mo? Yes please.

gently caress you, man. TDS even sent me one of their drat "FIBERVILLE! Is Your Neighborhood Next!?" fliers. NO, my neighborhood is not next. Your "fiberville" plans do not come within two miles of my house. You took 6 loving months to resolve 1-2 second ping times (they generously offered me a $5/mo discount until it was resolved, though!) and if I'm really, really lucky I'll be able to get a whole 10 megabits within a few years (and they'll probably charge twice as much because it'll require bonding two connections).

That's what I get for buying a house outside of the city limits, though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Liquid Communism posted:

Most tract builders in the states are LLCs that are out of business and dissolved by 18 months after they finish the neighborhood.

Here the guarantee is provided by a different company and paid for in advance by the builder, so they can go bust all they like, if they make lovely houses they'll find it hard to get their guarantee signed off. I understand mine was inspected 5 times officially, at least twice on the sly and they were involved from the planning stage.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreenNight posted:

1000/1000 for $110 :smuggo:

It's Centurylink though :negative:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wasabi the J posted:

1000/1000 for $110 :smuggo:

It's Centurylink though :negative:

150/150 for $45, could get 1Gbps/1Gbps for only $70 if I wanted. :smug:

And it's a local municipal telecom. :smugdog:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2015/10/04/01-cautionary-sale.html

Someone bought a $275,000 home at sheriff's auction sight unseen, and is shocked that it's basically uninhabitable.

Highlights include:

-Precious owner still living there, and they were a hoarder

-Addition with no foundation that's sunk nearly a foot from the rest of the house

-Half of the main load bearing joist of the house is completely gone

-And did I mention this is in a designated historic neighborhood? They're estimating $57,000 for "periodic correct" windows. On top of that, they can't tear anything down without express approval from the township (which includes an open meeting to get community input)

Sucks because they really seem like nice people, heck they even helped the previous owner find a new place to live, but I don't think I'll be contributing to their kickstarter campaign to help fund their half million dollar historic home.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

kickstarter campaign to help fund their half million dollar historic home.

That's the key for this thread.

Thank you.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Note that they've bought two homes at sheriff's auctions before this. They're serial flippers.

quote:

After buying two homes through sheriff’s sales, though, they also thought they knew what awaited them. “We expected to paint, redo the floors, put on a new roof and maybe redo the kitchen,” said Tim, 37, a Westerville firefighter.

So, a flipper got burned on a sight-unseen purchase and thinks that random people on the internet should help him continue to make pure profit. ... who am I kidding, he'll probably get it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

“We can’t have a $500,000 mortgage,” Abigail said. “I’m a nurse, and Tim’s a firefighter. We just can’t afford it.”

yet.....

quote:

In all, the couple expects to spend about $300,000 to improve the home, including adding a third-floor master suite that will bring the home to about 3,100 square feet.

What? You can't afford the house so you're going to dump even MORE money in it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Motronic posted:

yet.....

What? You can't afford the house so you're going to dump even MORE money in it?

its ok they are being fiscally responsible and begging internet people for money.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ullerrm posted:

So, a flipper got burned on a sight-unseen purchase and thinks that random people on the internet should help him continue to make pure profit. ... who am I kidding, he'll probably get it.

The article posted:

Tim said one neighbor offered to host a fundraiser and another offered to launch a Kickstarter campaign to help the couple. He said they aren’t pursuing the offers.

Serial flipping is lovely, and yeah, this guy finally got the short straw, but factually he seems not to be trying to get Kickstarter to fix it for him, even though they actually might.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

$57k for historically-accurate windows also seems a bit off. I'm no expert on windows but that's a lot of drat money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

$57k for historically-accurate windows also seems a bit off. I'm no expert on windows but that's a lot of drat money.
How can you claim that, not knowing the quantity?

The historically accurate windows is not something you cross shop with home depot anyway. They are probably all need to be hand crafted by some Amish snowflake company that specializes in those things and charges an arm and a leg simply because they could.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Leperflesh posted:

It says that the house is a century old, so we're talking 1920s at the newest. So they're going to have a bunch of old double-hung wood windows -- and if they're going for historical accuracy, then five bucks says that they want to counterbalance the sashes with the traditional weights and pulleys.

Scroll down to the third page of this PDF; you'll see that there's a ton of poo poo inside the jamb for those kinds of windows.

Even if you weren't going for historical accuracy, just replacing them with modern double-hung wood windows could easily be 20K+. Add in historical accuracy, and poo poo gets expensive FAST. (poo poo also gets leaky fast.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ullerrm posted:

It says that the house is a century old, so we're talking 1920s at the newest. So they're going to have a bunch of old double-hung wood windows -- and if they're going for historical accuracy, then five bucks says that they want to counterbalance the sashes with the traditional weights and pulleys.

Scroll down to the third page of this PDF; you'll see that there's a ton of poo poo inside the jamb for those kinds of windows.

Even if you weren't going for historical accuracy, just replacing them with modern double-hung wood windows could easily be 20K+. Add in historical accuracy, and poo poo gets expensive FAST. (poo poo also gets leaky fast.)

Yes, all of this! My dad built new double hung wood windows for their 3000 sf house and he estimated it cost at least 30k with his labor. It isn't complicated, simple wood frames, make new weights with lead to balance, and order double pane window units. However the decorative finishing of the wood edges, design of the stile and hardware, and stain adds up to a long process.

Now factor that he's a carpenter with low overhead, and figure what it may cost from someone out to make real money doing it.