Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Is there any way to make this smart playlist?

-Song is marked as Loved
-Genre is either pop, electronic, OR dance

So far I can only find a way to make an only-songs-marked-as-Loved playlist from one genre at a time. But now iTunes seems to have gotten rid of that option :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Make a separate smart playlist for the genres then make a playlist for 'is loved + playlist is my-genres'

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
No need for a separate playlist.

Song is Marked Loved [...]
any the following
Genre is 1
Genre is 2, etc.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh, yeah, I forgot the ... button did that, I never use it

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

The Modern Leper posted:

No need for a separate playlist.

Song is Marked Loved [...]
any the following
Genre is 1
Genre is 2, etc.

I'm a dumbass and can't see how to only make "any of the following" apply to one genre:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
What version of iTunes are you using? There should be another button next to "+" that lets you go down a tier.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Apparently they changed it in iTunes 12 and now you need to hold Option to change the "+" button into "..." to make a nested rule:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19487?locale=en_US

Seems just like the type of thing they'd do, sadly.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

GokieKS posted:

Apparently they changed it in iTunes 12 and now you need to hold Option to change the "+" button into "..." to make a nested rule:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19487?locale=en_US

Seems just like the type of thing they'd do, sadly.

You're a genius, thank you! You have saved my commute!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's still a separate button in Windows.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

The Modern Leper posted:

It's still a separate button in Windows.

Seems reasonable, Windows doesn't have an Option key :P

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Made the leap to iTunes 12.2. Good news, my 20,000 song library wasn't hosed with and the album covers actually are where they're supposed to be. Bad news, my "icloud session has expired" every single loving time I open iTunes. How do I fix this so I don't have to enter a password every time I choose to listen to music with Apple's really good and excellent software?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
EDIT: Figured it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pipes! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 21, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

On computer X, I signed into the apple store and was merrily subscribing to podcasts and downloading them, etc. Now I'm on computer Y, and am signed into the apple store and want to have all those subscribed podcasts show up for me, but I can't seem to figure out how. I don't have access to computer X right now, but I do have a time machine backup of it if I need to extract some files off of that.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Made the leap to iTunes 12.2. Good news, my 20,000 song library wasn't hosed with and the album covers actually are where they're supposed to be. Bad news, my "icloud session has expired" every single loving time I open iTunes. How do I fix this so I don't have to enter a password every time I choose to listen to music with Apple's really good and excellent software?

I had this issue for a year until i changed my password and that did the trick.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I upgraded my iPhone5s to iOS9, but for some reason my phone is no longer showing up in iTunes. How can I fix it? It connects to my computer fine, my computer recognizes the device but itunes doesn't at all.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Did you install iTunes 12.3?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

wolffenstein posted:

Did you install iTunes 12.3?

Yes. Even allowed the computer to access the photos on the device when I connect the phone to the computer.

EDIT: The diagnostic I ran says no phone is connected to the computer, but the device manager says differently. In fact, the diagnostic says there's no USB ports found?

EDIT 2: Found solution online:

In device manager, under Portable devices, I right clicked Apple iPhone, went under properties, and drivers. Went to update drivers, browsed my computer for software. Went to c:\program files\common files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers, and it fixed it from there.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 18, 2015

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is gapless playback dead? I don't see a single reference to it in iTunes 12.3.0.44.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

terre packet posted:

Is gapless playback dead? I don't see a single reference to it in iTunes 12.3.0.44.

Huh? I think even Apple Music is gapless at this point. It is for me anyway

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Huh? I think even Apple Music is gapless at this point. It is for me anyway

I experimented some with both Apple Music and with external MP3s. Sometimes iTunes recognizes an album as gapless and plays between tracks with no pause. Sometimes it doesn't. This behavior varies even between different tracks on the same album. I can't figure out what causes the behavior, which is frustrating.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

terre packet posted:

I experimented some with both Apple Music and with external MP3s. Sometimes iTunes recognizes an album as gapless and plays between tracks with no pause. Sometimes it doesn't. This behavior varies even between different tracks on the same album. I can't figure out what causes the behavior, which is frustrating.

I tried it on Pink floyd's dark side of the moon on Apple Music and it worked okay. Maybe it depends on whether or not iTunes has had enough time to cache the next song.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

What's the storage limit for iTunes Music Library? I've synced a bunch of stuff, and expected it to go against the 5gb I have with my iCloud account, but I guess it gets stored elsewhere?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes Match uploads are limited to 100,000 songs iirc. Buying music from the iTunes Store or adding them to your library from Apple Music doesn't count against your limit

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Kind of a weird question:

I have an album of mp3s on my hard drive. Currently I have 3 songs off that album imported into iTunes, and they sync with my iphone. I'd like to add the rest of the songs from the album to itunes so I could listen to the other songs occasionally, but still only have the original 3 sync to my phone. Obviously the solution is to have those 3 songs checked and set the phone to sync only checked songs.

Is there a way to add files into itunes that are unchecked by default?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone have any idea why I can't seem to get songs to copy themselves from itunes onto my iphone? I have an iphone 6S plus running the latest version of iOS, and I'm running the latest version of itunes on windows 10.

Edit: in case it matters, the songs were ripped from CDs, in apple lossless.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 28, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ArcaneMan posted:

Kind of a weird question:

I have an album of mp3s on my hard drive. Currently I have 3 songs off that album imported into iTunes, and they sync with my iphone. I'd like to add the rest of the songs from the album to itunes so I could listen to the other songs occasionally, but still only have the original 3 sync to my phone. Obviously the solution is to have those 3 songs checked and set the phone to sync only checked songs.

Is there a way to add files into itunes that are unchecked by default?

You could try making a playlist just for songs you want to add to the phone, and syncing that playlist. Not sure if the check marks would overrule that though.

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone have any idea why I can't seem to get songs to copy themselves from itunes onto my iphone? I have an iphone 6S plus running the latest version of iOS, and I'm running the latest version of itunes on windows 10.

Edit: in case it matters, the songs were ripped from CDs, in apple lossless.
If iCloud Music Library is enabled on iTunes or the iPhone itself, turn it off. You can sync the traditional way and then re-enable iCloud Music. It's annoying but I guess they really want to push people to use iCloud stuff exclusively. Plus I guess it makes sense to make it the default on new phones, since the old option assumes you have a separate device you sync from and that probably isn't the case for a large portion of iPhone buyers.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 28, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

You could try making a playlist just for songs you want to add to the phone, and syncing that playlist. Not sure if the check marks would overrule that though.
If iCloud Music Library is enabled on iTunes or the iPhone itself, turn it off. You can sync the traditional way and then re-enable iCloud Music. It's annoying but I guess they really want to push people to use iCloud stuff exclusively. Plus I guess it makes sense to make it the default on new phones, since the old option assumes you have a separate device you sync from and that probably isn't the case for a large portion of iPhone buyers.

I read about that when I tried to google the problem - I've never used iCloud music. The problem was, all the guides I turned up seem to have been written at a time when there was an actual setting labeled 'iCloud Music' to toggle, whereas now it falls under the setting 'show apple music'. I turned it off and it now works fine.

I'm glad it's sorted, the less time I spend in that godforsaken program the better. Itunes is not good for my blood sugar levels.

Edit: gently caress, it's synced everything except for 2 albums, which it refuses to copy across... what the gently caress?!

Edit 2: OK - Turns out the two albums that I thought weren't being copied across, are in fact being copied, but the songs only show up on the iphone in 'song' view, not in Album view or Artist view. I have no idea how to fix this.

Edit 3: Finally fixed it - turns out if you have 'this album is a compilation' selected the albums are segregated into their own little section and don't appear under artists or Album views for some idiotic reason. gently caress ITUNES THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED TO BE DOING AT 1:30AM

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah that's really dumb. In desktop iTunes, you can view a separate section for compilations, but they still show up at the bottom in the standard Album view. No idea why they didn't do it that way for the Music app.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any way to have iTunes Visualiser appear on my second screen only? iTunes already opens on my second screen by default but when I open the program, but when I start the Visualiser it blacks out screen one, and plays the visualisation on screen 2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone good at troubleshooting why iTunes isn't syncing new music to my iPhone?

Both on most up to date versions, iTunes is on OSX.

* I add albums to 2 playlists that I have synced to my phone, and this has generally worked great for a few years
* I have Apple Music but I've disabled iCloud on it because I know that stops sync from working
* I've managed to do one sync in the last month where my new music has copied across
* The songs I'm missing show up faded out if I click the Phone then 'On My Device > Music" but with a dotted circle, so it knows they should be there but just doesn't sync them.

It's driving me a bit mad.

e: and of course now I've posted, it's syncing again. Think it was the 'Sync only checked songs and videos' button needed to be checked, for reasons I don't understand why.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 29, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

iTunes finds new ways to be horrible. I'm listening to music for an hour, no problems besides general slowness, when I decided to make a playlist. A few minutes in, I try to add some 2Pac but iTunes deletes the song I just double-clicked to play. So I double-click another song. It also is removed from iTunes. I try playing other music, but it works fine except for this one album by this one artist. The files aren't in my trash but nothing is in my iTunes media file either. These songs have just disappeared! Not retrievable either since it's from a CD I no longer have.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Did you check to see if iTunes stuck it in a "compilations" or "various artists" folder? even though it probably doesn't belong there but still.

I've decided to move to an Android phone for at least the next year so I've been experimenting with iTunes replacements (Mediamonkey mostly but also TunesGo/MobileGo, Tomahawk, Google Music and even good old Winamp and of course VLC which I already use) none seem to be able to bang out smart playlists of my existing music like iTunes, meh. I got a feeling I'll keep iTunes on my pc just to do playlists and support my car ipod classic and an old iphone 4s I use for bluetooth music with my Bose Soundlink when I'm out golfing.

Also just remembered to un-DRM around 500 songs I had forgetten were DRM'd so TuneClone came in handy there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Did you check to see if iTunes stuck it in a "compilations" or "various artists" folder? even though it probably doesn't belong there but still.

I've decided to move to an Android phone for at least the next year so I've been experimenting with iTunes replacements (Mediamonkey mostly but also TunesGo/MobileGo, Tomahawk, Google Music and even good old Winamp and of course VLC which I already use) none seem to be able to bang out smart playlists of my existing music like iTunes, meh. I got a feeling I'll keep iTunes on my pc just to do playlists and support my car ipod classic and an old iphone 4s I use for bluetooth music with my Bose Soundlink when I'm out golfing.

Also just remembered to un-DRM around 500 songs I had forgetten were DRM'd so TuneClone came in handy there.

You have to pay for it but jriver is pretty much the best thing out there.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

It's not there either. Tried searching by song titles in case it erased the artist, but no luck.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey thanks iTunes for throwing up a pop up message every 10 seconds that you can't access iCloud Music. Yeah, I get it. I said I get it. I GET IT SHUT UP.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It's not there either. Tried searching by song titles in case it erased the artist, but no luck.

For those waiting for weeks for a resolution to my latest iTunes mess, it turns out that that one 2Pac album, which deleted songs I double clicked to play, were each renamed one-by-one to the album artist Makaveli (it kept the artist name 2Pac for fun). I guess iTunes is really adamant about alternate stage names?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My God, I hate iTunes. I hate it so much. Is it so absurd of me to expect to be able to just plug in my phone, back it up and change the music on it, without that being my whole day? And after wrestling with iTunes for literal hours, I'm still no better off.

I really, really want to see how the people who develop iTunes use their personal copies of the software, because it sure as poo poo isn't the same as any other person I've ever met. It's just repugnant that Apple has been making phones for the better part of a decade and this is still apparently the best they can do.

I think I need a drink :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Good to see it isn't just the Windows version of iTunes that is complete poo poo. I solved my iTunes problem by using Apple Music for everything. I can stream, and even download any album I've ever owned, plus any future albums i care to have, and I only have to interact with iTunes every now and then when I decide to do a backup.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I've literally never had a single problem using iTunes. It's so weird to read all these problems everyone has. I use it as my primary listening source for my library of 5k or so songs all ripped from CD using iTunes and I move stuff around on my phone with it no problem. I wonder what I'm doing right :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TACD posted:

My God, I hate iTunes. I hate it so much. Is it so absurd of me to expect to be able to just plug in my phone, back it up and change the music on it, without that being my whole day? And after wrestling with iTunes for literal hours, I'm still no better off.

I really, really want to see how the people who develop iTunes use their personal copies of the software, because it sure as poo poo isn't the same as any other person I've ever met. It's just repugnant that Apple has been making phones for the better part of a decade and this is still apparently the best they can do.

I think I need a drink :(

Have you tried another cable for it? Or another USB port? I don't know what those console messages are, but checking the connection is the first thing I think of when I read that something was disconnected.