Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Dead Poets' Society is a strange choice if you're in a conformist culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

computer parts posted:

It's socially acceptable non-conformity

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's about how middle-class values rescue the debauched rich and make their lives worth living. Part of that is the protestant work ethic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Would Lord of the Rings work as a secular but obviously Christian narrative?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Or A Boy Named Charlie Brown?

If you have a million hours, It's A Wonderful Life is seriously one of my favorite movies. It's not at all the treacle I thought it would be.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jack Gladney posted:

Would Lord of the Rings work as a secular but obviously Christian narrative?

Tolkien certainly though of it as a christian allegory.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tolkien certainly though of it as a christian allegory.

No he didn't. It reflects his view of morality and Middle Eart has a Christian inspired cosmology but it's not an allegory. It's a Christianity's pan-European pagan mythology but not Al allegory. There are a lot of allegorical aspects but they aren't in any way coherent and most relate to super weapons and industrialized warfare.

Narnia on the other hand is straight up allegory. Allan is Jesus and The Last Battle is the best depiction of the catholic apocalypse.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

No he didn't. It reflects his view of morality and Middle Eart has a Christian inspired cosmology but it's not an allegory. It's a Christianity's pan-European pagan mythology but not Al allegory. There are a lot of allegorical aspects but they aren't in any way coherent and most relate to super weapons and industrialized warfare.

Narnia on the other hand is straight up allegory. Allan is Jesus and The Last Battle is the best depiction of the catholic apocalypse.

Right, not allegory, but still deeply rooted in his christian morality. I mispoke.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Right, not allegory, but still deeply rooted in his christian morality. I mispoke.

No worries I sperged. Tolkien was all about how much he hates allegory but he still did it and his self awareness glossed over it but he didn't do it there.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Ha ha my phone makes funny correction. All hail our lord and savior lion Jesus Allan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AGirlWonder posted:

I'm not sure that I mentioned it before, but my church's youth group does a monthly movie night. Last Friday, we watched John Q. I always love when we watch films that aren't explicitly Christian, and not just because they're usually better-made. It's not exactly a great movie, and it's surprisingly political in a way unexpected of an evangelical youth group, but the kids got a lot out of it. Next time we'll probably watch Dead Poet's Society, which I regrettably haven't seen. The kids are set on watching Star Wars soon, so we'll also be doing that. Do you all have any suggestions for "secular" movies with Christian themes, or even themes that would lead to good conversation about spirituality? For example, we watched Jurassic Park a few months ago and it was a huge hit. We do watch Christian movies, but good ones are harder to come by and we all know it.

Some suggestions from my church's youth group that does something similar:

Man of Steel. The Biblical allegories with the titular character are plain as day and could lead to good conversations about spirituality and tolerance of those who are different.

Captain America: The First Avenger. It's another superhero movie, but one of the major themes of the movie is that the character's fundamental superpower is being a good person above all else, and it's implied in a later movie that he's Christian.

The Abyss. The James Cameron movie. Might be a bit intense for some kids depending on the age and there's very brief nudity (boobs, in an utterly non-erotic situation), but one of the movie's major themes is our relationship with the unknown and with each other.

October Sky. Particularly the movie's emphasis on family and how complicated those relationships can be.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm sure some have been done already, but I'll make up a list and consult with the pastor. We always want to keep it PG-13 or under, and nudity makes things very complicated. (We watched Unbroken, which has a very brief scene in which the nude, male actors are seen from behind. Kids didn't care, but we had to say a million disclaimers.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

I'm not sure that I mentioned it before, but my church's youth group does a monthly movie night. Last Friday, we watched John Q. I always love when we watch films that aren't explicitly Christian, and not just because they're usually better-made. It's not exactly a great movie, and it's surprisingly political in a way unexpected of an evangelical youth group, but the kids got a lot out of it. Next time we'll probably watch Dead Poet's Society, which I regrettably haven't seen. The kids are set on watching Star Wars soon, so we'll also be doing that. Do you all have any suggestions for "secular" movies with Christian themes, or even themes that would lead to good conversation about spirituality? For example, we watched Jurassic Park a few months ago and it was a huge hit. We do watch Christian movies, but good ones are harder to come by and we all know it.

Lord of the Rings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AGirlWonder posted:

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm sure some have been done already, but I'll make up a list and consult with the pastor. We always want to keep it PG-13 or under, and nudity makes things very complicated. (We watched Unbroken, which has a very brief scene in which the nude, male actors are seen from behind. Kids didn't care, but we had to say a million disclaimers.)

October Sky is PG, I think, and The Abyss is PG-13. There's a brief scene in The Abyss where the female lead nearly drowns and a male character (her husband, if it matters) tears her shirt open to apply a defibrillator while performing CPR. It's only seen for a few seconds and the context is about as un-sexy as it gets.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Audacity is somehow even worse than I expected a Ray Comfort scripted film to be, holy poo poo

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

AGirlWonder posted:

Antichrist

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Whatever happened to that movie that the makers of Expelled were trumpeting? Was supposed to follow the life of Hovind or some such creationist tard

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AGirlWonder posted:

Watch Groundhog Day. It's a fun movie and you get to talk about purgatory if you're catholic or you just about becoming a better person if you're not.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

Whatever happened to that movie that the makers of Expelled were trumpeting? Was supposed to follow the life of Hovind or some such creationist tard

Do you mean A Matter of Faith with Harry Anderson? It came out theatrically, but I can't find any critical reviews, and it doesn't seem to be on any sort of home video. I'm not sure what happened.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Did anyone suggest The End of Evangelion yet? Your group will live its use and handling of religious themes.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Iron Man is basically a secular conversion story.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

Iron Man is basically a secular conversion story.

There's a review from that perspective.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cythereal posted:

In my experience, a lot of the dislike liberal Christians have for Lewis mainly comes with the caveat "For his time, though..."

I've heard more than a few laments over the lack of liberal Christian media in general in the past few years in Christian social circles. It's nigh-exclusively fundamentalist or otherwise ultraconservative Christian stuff that keeps making it into the wider media.

It's always made me sad that liberal Christian has basically died in the English Speaking world.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Action Jacktion posted:

Do you mean A Matter of Faith with Harry Anderson? It came out theatrically, but I can't find any critical reviews, and it doesn't seem to be on any sort of home video. I'm not sure what happened.

I guess? I only saw the premise in passing some evolution denial board

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

AGirlWonder posted:

Perhaps:
Logan's Run
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original - remake in a pinch)

Ooh - and Chariots of Fire

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 10, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Watched Audacity the other night. Boy howdy that was bad, but it could have been worse. I gues. The focus on standup comedy in it would have been a lot better if they'd had any comedy but I guess Comfort just thinks impressions are really funny. They were competent impressions.

The one thing I semi-liked was how it sort of dug at the audience by having a scary looking non English speaker and setting it up at the beginning that he's another scary Mexican but actually he's a hero so it sort of makes Christians feel bad about their racist assumptions.

Really, amongst his crowd, Comfort is an obnoxious little fellow but he does come across as a lot friendlier and less scary or outright offensive as a lot of proselytizers. His "Man on the Street" shtick he's been doing for years shows, I think, apart from religion he's driven by just a genuine enjoyment for talking to folks and his manner is sort of condescending but he's downright affable compared to a lot of his peers. Dude still has no idea how to make a movie and should stop bugging people on the streets for being gay but if I was going to be pestered by an Evangelican with a camera id rather it be Ray cause he seems like a friendly fellow. Dumb as hell, but weirdly endearing.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I was listening to a movie soundtrack earlier when I realized something. Has The Mission been discussed in this thread? I can't really contribute on that matter sadly since I only know the film through its soundtrack.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

So, I was listening to a movie soundtrack earlier when I realized something. Has The Mission been discussed in this thread? I can't really contribute on that matter sadly since I only know the film through its soundtrack.

It's really a great film, especially as a consideration of how Christians should act in the world. It's also a good discussion film, because of the multiple viewpoints it considers.

It also has one of the best post-credits scenes ever. And one of Morricone's best soundtracks.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I got a chance to watch "The Captive" in theaters a couple days ago. It's literally a two hour ad for Rick Warrens "The Purpose Driven Life". How the hell did this thing make it to major theaters?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schizotek posted:

I got a chance to watch "The Captive" in theaters a couple days ago. It's literally a two hour ad for Rick Warrens "The Purpose Driven Life". How the hell did this thing make it to major theaters?

They actually have at least one commercial for the movie which is just quotes from him about how great the movie is. Getting into recursive promotion.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Shame on this thread for not recommending the quintessential grab bag for religious themes in Hollywood movies, The Matrix.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Finally got around to watching The Book Of Eli and gotta say it is one of the best religiously themed movie imho.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've almost exhausted Netflix's selection of Christian films and now I'm down to the really lame domestic drama poo poo and that poo poo ain't worth my time most likely.

Also my summary of David A.R. White's Brother White:
GABBY JOHNSON: Tha pastor is a hon....*bell rings*
Whats that?
He says the pastor is honorable!
GABBY: No consarnit dagnabit the pastor is a honk....*DONG*

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
So we finally watched Dead Poets' Society last night. I think our pastor forgot that the climax of the film is a teen suicide. That film was really heavy. Contrary to what some posters said above, I think it's perfect for a conformist society. In general, we (and especially teenagers) tend to glorify individualism and free-thinking. This film shows the dangers of not exercising those freedoms responsibly.

That being said, it works as a loose retelling of the Protestant Reformation so I'm just going to start telling all the students that.

Also, thank you guys for your film recommendations. Can I get a warning if anything has content like that above?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cythereal posted:

In my experience, a lot of the dislike liberal Christians have for Lewis mainly comes with the caveat "For his time, though..."

I've heard more than a few laments over the lack of liberal Christian media in general in the past few years in Christian social circles. It's nigh-exclusively fundamentalist or otherwise ultraconservative Christian stuff that keeps making it into the wider media.
No, actually. "For his time" Lewis's beliefs on women pretty much sucked. Mere Christianity, although based on a set of earlier radio talks, came out in 1952. There were many influential men, to say nothing of women, older than Lewis who approved of equality in the home and didn't think it was obvious that somebody had to be the boss.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM38JU9LoJc

quote:

Darren Doane, director of the ground-breaking documentary, Collision, and box-office smash-hit, Unstoppable, returns with his most bold, uncensored, and provocative film to date. The Free Speech Apocalypse exposes the top strategies of the anti-God, pro-gay, hyper-liberal elite and offers perspective on the cultural decay that has accelerated over the three years since Wilson’s visit to Indiana University. The erosion of free speech and religious liberty in America is happening at an alarming rate, and it’s time for ordinary Americans to stand up and speak out.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Homo With A Chainsaw, sequel to Hobo With A Shotgun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Note 'Tolerance' and photoshopped sawblades on the chainsaw.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

From the director of THE Collision and Unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Gears of War 4 looks like a bit of a departure from the rest of the series stylistically...

• Locked thread