Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Man, if Kaz wasn't running decoy for Big Boss while he hosed around with this whole Venom plan he'd probably still have his arm and leg. Kaz got a real raw deal in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man, if Kaz wasn't running decoy for Big Boss while he hosed around with this whole Venom plan he'd probably still have his arm and leg. Kaz got a real raw deal in this game.

That's definitely why he gets so angry and says gently caress Big Boss, like "I got dismembered, so that my old buddy the medic could be brainwashed into being Big Boss, and go through hell and back to get revenge against the one who destroyed Mother Base, when all the while my supposed friend is off relaxing and laying low drinking mai tais not giving a real poo poo about us"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Finished the game, if I never hear the words "vocal cord parasite" or "copulate" again it'll be too soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wolbachia

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I feel like I must have been the only one who was into Code Talkers tapes. There's a real zenitude to him.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Deki posted:

I still can't believe nobody picked up on the most obvious clue that Venom wasn't Big Boss. If you played as Big Boss in Phantom pain, you'd eat the animals you tranq, not rescue them.

No, the #1 clue that you aren't playing Big Boss is that when you are escaping from the hospital, the camera repeatedly zooms in on Ishmael's butt. Like all other MGS games, this indicates who the "real" protagonist is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gazaar posted:

I feel like I must have been the only one who was into Code Talkers tapes. There's a real zenitude to him.

Nah I liked his tapes too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Gazaar posted:

Oh, I did listen to all of them and they were interesting enough, but those particular phrases repeat so often that they become word salad.

I wonder if it's some weird Japanese quirk of writing fiction, like when you play a JRPG and the key phrases are always the same words (and in allcaps too).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kaz and Code Talker, burgin out forever.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is it ever brought up if Ocelot is on some severe medication or why he has no emotions or character whatsoever?

Just glancing over Ocelot scenes in MGS3 and MGS1 and then looking at the performance in TPP... I'm thinking Ocelot also has a body double.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If they were gonna do more funny call-forwards they shoulda also had a brief cutscene where Eli snatches Kaz's sunglasses off his face. Then he beats that little poo poo with his cane, of course. Liquid sulks off but mutters, "next time I take them, I'm keeping them."

Gortarius posted:

Is it ever brought up if Ocelot is on some severe medication or why he has no emotions or character whatsoever?

Bad writing, I guess. He's the hammiest ham to ever ham in every other single installment of the series, I have no idea why he's so chill in this one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He got a puppy. :3:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hypnotism. Also all those loving tranqs you shot into his face.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Speedball posted:

If they were gonna do more funny call-forwards they shoulda also had a brief cutscene where Eli snatches Kaz's sunglasses off his face. Then he beats that little poo poo with his cane, of course. Liquid sulks off but mutters, "next time I take them, I'm keeping them."

Eli should've disguised himself as Kaz and trick Venom into believing that poo poo and then reveal his true identity and say "Snake, did you like my sunglasses?"

Just because apparently the 12 year old Liquid has all the same lines as his MGS1 counterpart. Well, at least some of the more "iconic" phrases, otherwise he doesn't really talk at all. Staying silent and just standing around being one of the central themes in TPP.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OatmealRaisin posted:

Kaz lost his limbs in the helicopter crash at the end of Ground Zeroes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No he didn't, he had them in the hospital cutscene.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Did Hal become an Otaku because it was in his genes or because his mom made the internet his nanny?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

It's because Hal is actually Shinji Ikari.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Now that I've joined the ranks of "having beat the game", I think the thing I like most about the ending is everyone who made it to that point and finished the story has become part of the legend of Big Boss. Not even the man himself could live up to his own name 20 years after his first operation.

When I first heard of TPP, I thought it was going to be the connecting story between the "hardcore but still kinda nice guy" of Peace Walker and the villain he would become 20 years later, but he never really became a villain, I think. I think BB's biggest mistake was that he was so focused on bringing down Zero after GZ that he turned into a guy only really he could understand. Kaz I think would have stuck with him even after learning the truth if he didn't see war as a way to assert his independence, make some money, and make his own decisions. After GZ I think BB realized there's no place in Zero's world for him, or groups of people like him. Ultimately, though, I think it's that isolation and obsession with revenge that does him in, and where Solid would succeed.

As for the big twist, I have to admit I didn't see it coming when I first played the prologue, but in the interim between me playing the game for the first time and Hellbound, I was spoiled kind of on what was up with Venom, and it made the cutscene where the Mammal Pod and Huey fail to recognize Snake at first make more sense. When I replayed the prologue to get both missions objectives, watching that cutscene where Ocelot and Venom get to the harbor and Ocelot starts debriefing him on what happened and why he was there made a lot more sense. The real BB wouldn't need reminding of any of those things, but if you're Ocelot and needing to create the illusion then it would be perfect when the guy is more or less a blank slate you could tell anything to. Though I guess the horn in and of itself should have spelled it out. The doctor in Cyprus said that fragment among others couldn't be removed without killing him, and BB was decidedly hornless in MGS4.

Also, I am the only one who thought David wasn't Solid's real name at the end of MGS1? I just thought it was a name he just came up with on the spot to give himself a not-Snake name to Meryl. I just assumed he was always called Snake.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Big Boss sacrificed an entire hospital full of innocent people to pull off his identity switcheroo. That's a distinct departure from the BB in Peace Walker. They even acknowledge this in the first Truth tape.

I didn't get spoiled on the twist, but when it was revealed I was not very surprised. The power of the twist is in that you see all the signs but you are in denial because you don't want to believe you've been playing as some rando from MB instead of Big Boss, so you ignore them and try to figure out a way for the clues to make sense in some other way. I'd begun to suspect it when I learned that Kiefer voiced the faceless Medic in the chopper, when the AI Pod said Venom wasn't Big Boss I became even more convinced, and Eli's DNA coming back negative sealed it for me. For me it was far more plausible for the player character to not be the original Big Boss than for Eli to not be Liquid.

After that, a lot of things (but not all) fall into place quite neatly.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Sylphid posted:

Now that I've joined the ranks of "having beat the game", I think the thing I like most about the ending is everyone who made it to that point and finished the story has become part of the legend of Big Boss. Not even the man himself could live up to his own name 20 years after his first operation.

When I first heard of TPP, I thought it was going to be the connecting story between the "hardcore but still kinda nice guy" of Peace Walker and the villain he would become 20 years later, but he never really became a villain, I think. I think BB's biggest mistake was that he was so focused on bringing down Zero after GZ that he turned into a guy only really he could understand. Kaz I think would have stuck with him even after learning the truth if he didn't see war as a way to assert his independence, make some money, and make his own decisions. After GZ I think BB realized there's no place in Zero's world for him, or groups of people like him. Ultimately, though, I think it's that isolation and obsession with revenge that does him in, and where Solid would succeed.

As for the big twist, I have to admit I didn't see it coming when I first played the prologue, but in the interim between me playing the game for the first time and Hellbound, I was spoiled kind of on what was up with Venom, and it made the cutscene where the Mammal Pod and Huey fail to recognize Snake at first make more sense. When I replayed the prologue to get both missions objectives, watching that cutscene where Ocelot and Venom get to the harbor and Ocelot starts debriefing him on what happened and why he was there made a lot more sense. The real BB wouldn't need reminding of any of those things, but if you're Ocelot and needing to create the illusion then it would be perfect when the guy is more or less a blank slate you could tell anything to. Though I guess the horn in and of itself should have spelled it out. The doctor in Cyprus said that fragment among others couldn't be removed without killing him, and BB was decidedly hornless in MGS4.

Also, I am the only one who thought David wasn't Solid's real name at the end of MGS1? I just thought it was a name he just came up with on the spot to give himself a not-Snake name to Meryl. I just assumed he was always called Snake.

It's always been Dave, if you give up to the torture, Snake learns Otacon's name and makes a Hal and Dave joke, then they awkwardly laugh and ride off into the sunset.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

It makes all the sense in the world that Solid Snake's real name would be David like he says.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Metal Gear Solid 5/v/Kojima’s lost his loving mind(Vol.75)

Ok let’s start with what I was expecting before I played this game, seeing as I’ve been playing metal gear solid games since I was 8 years old (starting with mgs1) I had high hopes for this game, I’ve been dreaming of playing as big boss and meeting all his supporting characters for 16 years now, I couldn’t wait to meet sniper wolf and see outer heaven and ride around on the mini metal gear that I saw in the trailer, this poo poo’s gonna be wicked right?

Uhhghrnngh………

We’ll start with the positives :

1# This game is pretty, oh my, fox engine is amazing the characters all look great, the environments look sufficiently dusty and war-torn, motherbase looks…. mother-basey?

2#The sneaking mechanics are absolutely the best they’ve ever been, playing as big boss in this game you finally feel agile and fast enough to deal with any threat you come across, climbing over or around things can be a bit finicky but honestly this is the first mgs I’ve played where I feel really confident in my abilities.

3# Huey is probably the most weirdly human character in any Mgs game, I know he’s a complete and utter shithole but my god Huey is probably the only character in the game that kept me glued to the screen, he’s so despicable but at least he’s interesting. The voice actor for huey absolutely nailed every scene that he’s in.

And that’s pretty much all the positives I can think of for now.

Time for the negatives:

1# Every other character apart from Huey is completely and utterly boring, what does ocelot do in this game? Go on I’ll let you think about it……done? He saves you at the beginning, yeah cool that was nice thanks, then he gives you a little tutorial aaaaand does nothing else for the entire game except appear in cutscenes and bitch with miller and torture some guys sometimes, oh and he doesn’t even do any revolver tricks, does he even fire his gun in this game?

Skullface is the worst mgs villain I’ve ever laid eyes on, his plan is laughable oh you want to erase peoples language ok well what happens if they learn sign language? Or if they get a pen and paper? Who gives a gently caress anyway it’s a pathetic plan and then he gets killed by Huey of all loving people, jesus!! Also goes from mildly threatening to a panto dame in a nanosecond and never recovers.

quiet : boring story but useful in battle. I thought the scene in the rain was actually quite sweet (T&A aside)

miller: total bitch but I like how he hates bb by the end.

Code talker: so loving boring, never shuts up about boring rear end parasites, his cassete tapes are like listening to paint dry, does absolutely gently caress all in the game anyway.

Eli : turns up out of the blue in Africa, gets captured, sneers a lot, has about ten lines in the entire game, doesn’t really do much, then fucks off in a metal gear and isn’t even mentioned afterwards, again what is the loving point?

Paz wasn’t even loving real but who expected her to be anyway?

Big Boss/V/ So we know the big twist by now, how much do you think they paid Keifer ”grumble mumble” Sutherland to read his three lines in this game?
And to do the face capture thing which is funny cause even when he’s acting on TV or in movies he’s not exactly the most expressive of guys and now they have him as a PTSD soldier who barely shows any emotion anyway, they might as well have face captured a mop bucket for all the good face capture does for Big Boss.

2# All the missions are the same, peace walker had at least some variations in missions, remember pooyan? Or the one where you shot trucks, or the one where you photographed ghosts, and the dating ones with kaz and paz? Actually forget the last two….
Every mission and side op in this game is the same, you have your extracting prisoners or extracting tanks OR extracting prisoners AND tanks (whoo!) Killing tanks and bad guys and extracting motherbase soldiers or killing wandering puppets, such variety!

3# The checkpoint system flat out does not work, why the hell didn’t they let you save where you want? You might be wandering around motherbase wondering why all the doors are locked and why each separate deck is 10 miles apart and everything feels so empty and as you go along you’re picking up diamonds scattered about and doing some of the shooting ranges, time for some more exploration oh dear I’ve fallen off a ledge and died, never mind time to carry o—the gently caress do you mean I’m back here?!!? I just picked up 10 diamonds and did loads of exploring!?!? Why the hell didn’t the game give me a checkpoint??
Well you’ll be pleased to know it’s exactly the same in freeroam so have fun losing shitloads of progress.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5/v/Kojima’s lost his loving mind(Vol.75)

Ok let’s start with what I was expecting before I played this game, seeing as I’ve been playing metal gear solid games since I was 8 years old (starting with mgs1) I had high hopes for this game, I’ve been dreaming of playing as big boss and meeting all his supporting characters for 16 years now, I couldn’t wait to meet sniper wolf and see outer heaven and ride around on the mini metal gear that I saw in the trailer, this poo poo’s gonna be wicked right?

Uhhghrnngh………

We’ll start with the positives :

1# This game is pretty, oh my, fox engine is amazing the characters all look great, the environments look sufficiently dusty and war-torn, motherbase looks…. mother-basey?

2#The sneaking mechanics are absolutely the best they’ve ever been, playing as big boss in this game you finally feel agile and fast enough to deal with any threat you come across, climbing over or around things can be a bit finicky but honestly this is the first mgs I’ve played where I feel really confident in my abilities.

3# Huey is probably the most weirdly human character in any Mgs game, I know he’s a complete and utter shithole but my god Huey is probably the only character in the game that kept me glued to the screen, he’s so despicable but at least he’s interesting. The voice actor for huey absolutely nailed every scene that he’s in.

And that’s pretty much all the positives I can think of for now.

Time for the negatives:

1# Every other character apart from Huey is completely and utterly boring, what does ocelot do in this game? Go on I’ll let you think about it……done? He saves you at the beginning, yeah cool that was nice thanks, then he gives you a little tutorial aaaaand does nothing else for the entire game except appear in cutscenes and bitch with miller and torture some guys sometimes, oh and he doesn’t even do any revolver tricks, does he even fire his gun in this game?

Skullface is the worst mgs villain I’ve ever laid eyes on, his plan is laughable oh you want to erase peoples language ok well what happens if they learn sign language? Or if they get a pen and paper? Who gives a gently caress anyway it’s a pathetic plan and then he gets killed by Huey of all loving people, jesus!! Also goes from mildly threatening to a panto dame in a nanosecond and never recovers.

quiet : boring story but useful in battle. I thought the scene in the rain was actually quite sweet (T&A aside)

miller: total bitch but I like how he hates bb by the end.

Code talker: so loving boring, never shuts up about boring rear end parasites, his cassete tapes are like listening to paint dry, does absolutely gently caress all in the game anyway.

Eli : turns up out of the blue in Africa, gets captured, sneers a lot, has about ten lines in the entire game, doesn’t really do much, then fucks off in a metal gear and isn’t even mentioned afterwards, again what is the loving point?

Paz wasn’t even loving real but who expected her to be anyway?

Big Boss/V/ So we know the big twist by now, how much do you think they paid Keifer ”grumble mumble” Sutherland to read his three lines in this game?
And to do the face capture thing which is funny cause even when he’s acting on TV or in movies he’s not exactly the most expressive of guys and now they have him as a PTSD soldier who barely shows any emotion anyway, they might as well have face captured a mop bucket for all the good face capture does for Big Boss.

2# All the missions are the same, peace walker had at least some variations in missions, remember pooyan? Or the one where you shot trucks, or the one where you photographed ghosts, and the dating ones with kaz and paz? Actually forget the last two….
Every mission and side op in this game is the same, you have your extracting prisoners or extracting tanks OR extracting prisoners AND tanks (whoo!) Killing tanks and bad guys and extracting motherbase soldiers or killing wandering puppets, such variety!

3# The checkpoint system flat out does not work, why the hell didn’t they let you save where you want? You might be wandering around motherbase wondering why all the doors are locked and why each separate deck is 10 miles apart and everything feels so empty and as you go along you’re picking up diamonds scattered about and doing some of the shooting ranges, time for some more exploration oh dear I’ve fallen off a ledge and died, never mind time to carry o—the gently caress do you mean I’m back here?!!? I just picked up 10 diamonds and did loads of exploring!?!? Why the hell didn’t the game give me a checkpoint??
Well you’ll be pleased to know it’s exactly the same in freeroam so have fun losing shitloads of progress.

The worst post in worst thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah Bro posted:

The worst post in worst thread.

You're gonna quote him?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Speedball posted:

Bad writing, I guess. He's the hammiest ham to ever ham in every other single installment of the series, I have no idea why he's so chill in this one.

Because that's what the voice director wanted. People tend to give crap to the actors, but ultimately they give what the director wants. Baker is a really, really good voice actor and a pretty avid video game enthusiast, so the lack of Ocelot haminess isn't really his fault.

\/\/ Same.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought Ocelot's personality in this was pretty good. I like the idea of Ocelot really trying to rise to the occasion and be an effective and responsible leader, after being a brash and reckless newbie in Snake Eater. Then, as he get's older, and he doesn't need to be strong for Big Boss anymore, his more extravagant side starts to take back over again. I just wish they'd done more with him. I'm just used to Ocelot taking an active role in the plot.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Do the languages your staff members speak matter at all outside the parasite epidemic, or are they otherwise just for flavour?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Just Flavor

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I believe you don't need an interpreter if you're playing as a soldier who speaks the relevant language.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Apparently if I shill a video hard enough, I can win a combat bag computer from Nvidia with two mgs decals slapped on it real quick.

https://contests.nvidia.com/en-us/share-every-win-mgsv?stackla=ct_560a478468cb772bd4db14e7

You have to click the heart/like if you want me to win. If you don't want me to win, click the X in the corner and vote for one of the top 3 in an attempt to make me lose. If I win, I will take pictures of the combat bag computer.

Also self-shilling unrelated -Also how many nukes are you guys up to disarmed? I'm up to 49 :

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'll agree with this one. It would be rad to ambush large convoys and such going along the roads. Instead just that 1 big truck that is everywhere.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sylink posted:

I'll agree with this one. It would be rad to ambush large convoys and such going along the roads. Instead just that 1 big truck that is everywhere.

I'm amazed they didn't include an EVA bike honestly, dd could sit in the sidebit and the leather jacket would look less out of place.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

lovely Wizard posted:

Also self-shilling unrelated -Also how many nukes are you guys up to disarmed? I'm up to 49 :

If you fail the nuke invasion does the invadee get the option to wipe you off the face of the earth? I've seen a lot of discussion about this but no confirmation of it happening.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

By this point, there'd be footage of it, even if it were just a dialogue box, if it were something that could happen.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Domattee posted:

Just Flavor
That's what I figured. It's still pretty cool, though. When you do the staff management tutorial, you think "Why does it track what languages my guys speak? What does that have to do with anything?" and then completely forget about it, until 23 missions later you go looking through the list of infected trying to see what they have in common.

I actually really like that sequence, though I think the mechanics of it are pretty weak. Even if you figure out that the disease is spreading by language right away, like I happened to, you still don't really have the information to do anything about it. Even if you notice that everyone it affects speaks Kikongo, you can't assume that it's only Kikongo - and even if you do, what can you do about it? Preemptively throw all your Kikongo speakers in quarantine? What does that even accomplish? It can't spread to anyone other than them anyway. It seems like even if you know what's going on, rather than trying to mitigate it, you're better off just barreling through story missions as quickly as possible so you can get Code Talker to just give you the vaccine and minimise your losses that way.

It's also pretty funny that you get that set of six S+ volunteers who all speak only English right after you see Mantis give Eli the English mating pair. I was so sure there was going to be another outbreak with those six as patients zero to five. I was so paranoid, it was great.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I think it's fitting that a bunch of kids make off with Sahelanthropus because it acts and sounds like a toddler having a tantrum.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Aurain posted:

By this point, there'd be footage of it, even if it were just a dialogue box, if it were something that could happen.

So literally the only purpose of nukes is to prevent low level players from invading your FOB (which is something you don't want to happen because their stream of inevitable failures is a nice revenue stream) and it also makes you a juicy target for high level players and disarmament groups.

...Metal Gear really is anti nuke.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

lovely Wizard posted:

Much as my number of scissors, I'm up to 61 so far, starting to take ages to find anyone who even has them with matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
My journey into the world of MGS continues, but 3 has yet to grow on me. Now, I'm only at the part where you beat The Fear and then start moving into the mountains, but... I don't like Bond movies so this homage isn't doing much for me. The plot so far also seems really simple and straightforward, I'm waiting for the twist, cause when you beat the first boss in MGS2 you can see there's some wacky agenda poo poo going on already, while in this game, I killed (or maybe "killed") two bosses and welp, time to move on. And I can't get the MGS2 main theme out of my head.

• Locked thread