Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Shine posted:

I assume you use Push To Talk in Mumble? Map that same button to "Hold to Stop Listening" in Voice Attack so that it'll ignore you when you're speaking to Mumble.

I'll give that a shot, thanks

Anyone got a sensible Imp Courier conflict zone loadout? I could get a vulture, but I'm very close to grabbing a clipper, so I'm not really gonna bother. I don't have an issue hitting power plants with rails or plasma cannons, if that's a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hooookaaay.

So I got the game in the steam sale the other day and I've been giving this a shot.

I really want to like it because I loved Freelancer and this SEEMS to be Freelancer on steroids. I love the whole docking stuff and flying around seems to be pretty sweet.

But I'm having a tough time getting engaged and drawn into the game. I've done about 4 smuggling runs that were about 80,000 credits each. Never got inspected or anything so they were basically just a trade route. So then I bought a Viper and went to shoot people. I got destroyed in about 3 seconds flat which...is well annoying. I've done all the training missions so I kinda know what I'm doing.

So I thought about being a heavily armed trader, but I have no idea how to tell what sells at a good price and where.

Also, if you take a bounty to kill somebody, do you really have to aimlessly fly through the sector, investigating all the unidentified sources until you find the guy? That's a dick...

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hooookaaay.

So I got the game in the steam sale the other day and I've been giving this a shot.

I really want to like it because I loved Freelancer and this SEEMS to be Freelancer on steroids. I love the whole docking stuff and flying around seems to be pretty sweet.

But I'm having a tough time getting engaged and drawn into the game. I've done about 4 smuggling runs that were about 80,000 credits each. Never got inspected or anything so they were basically just a trade route. So then I bought a Viper and went to shoot people. I got destroyed in about 3 seconds flat which...is well annoying. I've done all the training missions so I kinda know what I'm doing.

So I thought about being a heavily armed trader, but I have no idea how to tell what sells at a good price and where.

Also, if you take a bounty to kill somebody, do you really have to aimlessly fly through the sector, investigating all the unidentified sources until you find the guy? That's a dick...

No it USED to be like that. Now you need a FSD interdictor (2A works nicely) and watch any ship that blips into super cruise radar. Your target will be there, you have to fly behind him, and do a little minigame/tear the motherfucker out of light speed and make physics cry.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hooookaaay.

But I'm having a tough time getting engaged and drawn into the game.

Unfortunately the "game" part of Elite is really shallow. You won't find talkative characters or a structured narrative like you'd get from Freespace 2 or TIE Fighter; it's basically on you to make your own fun.

For combat, the Viper is one of the better ships until you have the millions needed for the Vulture or what have you, so I wouldn't give up on it just because you got trashed. It's very capable of taking on any NPC ship, including the biggest in the game, and even with basic gear it can dunk on Sidewinders, Eagles and other small ships all day. What were you doing when you died? Did you illegally attack someone and get swarmed by police?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Unfortunately the "game" part of Elite is really shallow. You won't find talkative characters or a structured narrative like you'd get from Freespace 2 or TIE Fighter; it's basically on you to make your own fun.

For combat, the Viper is one of the better ships until you have the millions needed for the Vulture or what have you, so I wouldn't give up on it just because you got trashed. It's very capable of taking on any NPC ship, including the biggest in the game, and even with basic gear it can dunk on Sidewinders, Eagles and other small ships all day. What were you doing when you died? Did you illegally attack someone and get swarmed by police?

Yeah, I think I need more "game" in my game to really get into this.

I went to a low-intensity conflict zone. I went up against another viper that was ranked "Harmless". It did one pass on me with 4 pulse lasers, took out my shields basically with 2 hits, then at the end of the pass, I had no thrusters so it was a free kill at that point.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yeah, I think I need more "game" in my game to really get into this.

I went to a low-intensity conflict zone. I went up against another viper that was ranked "Harmless". It did one pass on me with 4 pulse lasers, took out my shields basically with 2 hits, then at the end of the pass, I had no thrusters so it was a free kill at that point.

Did you align yourself to a faction in the side-panel after entering the conflict zone? You might have been getting dogpiled by several enemies while focusing on the other viper.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Slashrat posted:

Did you align yourself to a faction in the side-panel after entering the conflict zone? You might have been getting dogpiled by several enemies while focusing on the other viper.

Ten to one this happened. My only other advice is to dodge.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Slashrat posted:

Uh...I just started attacking the people my thing said to attack.

Also, I was flying at the dude with lateral thrusters pushing me out to the side, didn't work though.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

My exploration guide is possibly upcoming, vodka permitting.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I was originally looking at a X-55 when they were having shocking stock issues last year. Ended up going for the CH combo, don't regret it one bit.

A mate hooked themselves up with a T Flight, which I hear is a grand stick, but ... I lost my mind looking at the map and having to trim off control options I consider clutch. And I don't for the life me know how you guys manage not drowning in buttons and hats.

Even with my rig I'm using Shift modifiers, a plenty.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Found an extremely fast spinning B star near MOTHER BASE GOAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLpsmfciTak

Lima fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 29, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

lewtt posted:

Anyone got a sensible Imp Courier conflict zone loadout? I could get a vulture, but I'm very close to grabbing a clipper, so I'm not really gonna bother. I don't have an issue hitting power plants with rails or plasma cannons, if that's a factor.

All Courier loadouts are sensible because it is God's gift to us. A rate everything but life support and sensors. Put a 3A blue shield on it and 2 A boosters, and 2 chaff or a KWS and 1 chaff. Put any guns you want on it after that. 3 beams is hilarious, 3 pulse is simple and lets you keep your banks out, 2 beams 1 cannon is good, 2 MC 1 beam is good.

Literally Courier is like Zombo.com. you can do anything with Courier. The infinite is possible with Courier.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

lewtt posted:

Paramemetic posted:

All Courier loadouts are sensible because it is God's gift to us. A rate everything but life support and sensors. Put a 3A blue shield on it and 2 A boosters, and 2 chaff or a KWS and 1 chaff. Put any guns you want on it after that. 3 beams is hilarious, 3 pulse is simple and lets you keep your banks out, 2 beams 1 cannon is good, 2 MC 1 beam is good.

Literally Courier is like Zombo.com. you can do anything with Courier. The infinite is possible with Courier.

One note to this - I recommend whatever weapons you put into the wing banks should be gimbaled or seeker launchers. The wing pylons are so far from eachother that they have poo poo all for convergence at short ranges - it's not as bad as the Cobra's wing mounts but comes pretty drat close. A nice cookie cutter build would be a fixed laser in the nose mount and a pair of cannons or multicannons in the wing banks (or vice versa, a pair of gimbaled lasers in the wing pylons and a big gun of your choice in the chin mount). Plasma cannons or railguns should definitely go in the chin mount for obvious reasons.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I upgraded to an X52pro and I really like it so far, but it would be sweet as hell if popping the safe switch just auto deployed my hardpoints instead of having to press the red button too. Is there any way for that to happen?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Speaking of weird space objects, has anyone found a magnetar yet? do they look cool, or just look like any other neutron star?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Wow the payout from conflict zones is terrible. 70k for an Anaconda (why did I fight an Anaconda) which took 10 minutes to kill while I can take down a Sidewinder in 10 seconds and get 20k.

Also the most boring thing when you are tinyship vs Anaconda is when you get them hosed up enough that they can't actually do anything, and then you ran out of ammo because it's a god drat Anaconda and you're a stupid little Viper. That last 5% with small lasers was so boring, slowly tailing a spinning out of control ship.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

axelsoar posted:

Speaking of weird space objects, has anyone found a magnetar yet? do they look cool, or just look like any other neutron star?

They haven't implemented the more exotic anomalies or star variants yet, sadly.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Lima posted:

They haven't implemented the more exotic anomalies or star variants yet, sadly.

Awwww, are there at least pulsars?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axelsoar posted:

I don't think so. Are there any in our galaxy? There are lots of stars with insanely quick rotation speeds

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

frank.club posted:

I don't think so. Are there any in our galaxy? There are lots of stars with insanely quick rotation speeds

Yeh there's a ton, that's how we gave our coordiates on those golden records

(Incidentally it's also a tattoo I want)

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

axelsoar posted:

There are pulsars out there, the Crab Pulsar for example, but they don't look any different than neutron stars currently.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Yeh there's a ton, that's how we gave our coordiates on those golden records

(Incidentally it's also a tattoo I want)

We don't have quasars

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

We don't have quasars

Come on, procedural generation is good and all, but before we can have multiple galaxies Frontier needs more servers and time. A shitload of time, since we at least know something about our galaxy, but quasars are weird enough Frontier would be hard pressed to make a quasar-map make sense.

On the other hand, if Frontier runs out of ideas for expansions in a decade, I could see them going through our galactic neighbourhood for some more galaxies. I don't think we'd get quasars even then, though: Galaxies with active cores are all too far away as far as I know.

Our descendents will probably finally get them in Elite: Marvelous: Quasars, when it comes out in 2077.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Going near a magnetar sounds like a really bad idea anyway. Seriously this is some baaad poo poo.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Going near a magnetar sounds like a really bad idea anyway. Seriously this is some baaad poo poo.

Yep. The starquake which was detected in 2004 compressed Earth's magnetic field and ionised the atmosphere - the magnatar it came from is 55000 LY away :frogbon:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Come on, procedural generation is good and all, but before we can have multiple galaxies Frontier needs more servers and time. A shitload of time, since we at least know something about our galaxy, but quasars are weird enough Frontier would be hard pressed to make a quasar-map make sense.

On the other hand, if Frontier runs out of ideas for expansions in a decade, I could see them going through our galactic neighbourhood for some more galaxies. I don't think we'd get quasars even then, though: Galaxies with active cores are all too far away as far as I know.

Our descendents will probably finally get them in Elite: Marvelous: Quasars, when it comes out in 2077.

Dang dude I was just saying. I mixed up the two

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I'd kind of prefer they put more work into black hole rendering first, before adding more obscure stellar phenomena. Interstellar raised the bar on bitchin' black hole depictions, and most of the ones in E:D just seem pretty boring by comparison unless you're in a system with a particularly starry skybox. I want to marvel at blinding swirling accretion disks, damnit!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah and proto-stars should have a big fuckin' disk of poo poo swirling around them too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Since pulsars are just neutron stars (technically) there are around 120ish in the galaxy (again, technically) if you count the designation of 'PSR' on a neutron star as a pulsar.

Type in 'PSR' into the search on the navigation panel and see for yourself! They don't look any different as far as you could ever see because you can't get close enough to any neutron star for it to be anything but a ball of light.

Moacher posted:

I'd kind of prefer they put more work into black hole rendering first, before adding more obscure stellar phenomena. Interstellar raised the bar on bitchin' black hole depictions, and most of the ones in E:D just seem pretty boring by comparison unless you're in a system with a particularly starry skybox. I want to marvel at blinding swirling accretion disks, damnit!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 29, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Moacher posted:

Dude. Yes.

Fuckin' Interstellar man... That movie was amazing. Like I have big TV at home and all that, but nothing will ever ever compare to seeing that movie in IMAX.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

That's what I'm talkin about! Not getting my hopes up though...

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Moacher posted:

That's what I'm talkin about! Not getting my hopes up though...

The game engine would have to model a lot of physics acurately to be able to generate that procedually, such as magnetic fields and uh, gravity.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Lima posted:

The game engine would have to model a lot of physics acurately to be able to generate that procedually, such as magnetic fields and uh, gravity.

It already can generate rings, so there's no reason it can't do it on a larger scale for accretion disks. The only new thing it would have to do is distort local in-system items (such as the accretion disk or other stars). Once that's done it'd look pretty much just like Interstellar.

Beyond that, it'd be cool if they could model plasma flow between two close stars.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Wow the payout from conflict zones is terrible. 70k for an Anaconda (why did I fight an Anaconda) which took 10 minutes to kill while I can take down a Sidewinder in 10 seconds and get 20k.

Also the most boring thing when you are tinyship vs Anaconda is when you get them hosed up enough that they can't actually do anything, and then you ran out of ammo because it's a god drat Anaconda and you're a stupid little Viper. That last 5% with small lasers was so boring, slowly tailing a spinning out of control ship.

It used to be 300cr for any ship killed...

They've tried to 'balance' it 4 times now

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Dang dude I was just saying. I mixed up the two

OK, that does happen occasionally. Some people get hang up on the radio-thing and confuse the two, or just confuse the two names because they both end with -sar. Or they only know about one of the two things and think both names refer to that one. It's like the guys in bad 80s SciFi using "galaxy" and "solar system" like synonymes, just translated through better knowledge of astronomy.

Pulsars and quasars are like a normal sun to a normal galaxy, just with active radio emissions thrown in. A pulsar is a neutron star which rotates so fast they generate strong radio impulses: They "pulse". A quasar is a radio galaxy with an active core throwing gigantic radio emissions our way. Essentially a galaxy with a giant black hole working like a giant Pulsar.

Most of the pulsars in the Milkyway aren't reachable by players, by the way. That's because many pulsars sit in globular star clusters orbiting the galactic core from so far out, you'd need to cross many thousands of light years through the almost-empty galactic halo to reach them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

It used to be 300cr for any ship killed...

They've tried to 'balance' it 4 times now

They don't seem to want conflict zones to be profitable compared to any other thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you picking up kill missions for them, or just collecting combat bonds?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright so today I traded in my Viper for an Eagle.

I'm having a lot more fun with it now. I put in a 4 slot Cargo Bay so I could do the same sorta piracy missions as the Sidewinder. Assassination missions suck rear end and they really need to make it a lot more fun\easier\less random to find your target. Hauling assholes out of Phase Shift is cool as hell. (Note: Does it sound like the computer says "Friendship Drive" to anybody else?)

Do weapons upgrade at all? I haven't found anything beyond the starting Beam\Pulse\Burst lasers. While I don't mind that formula, it'd be cool if we could get better versions of those weapons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

Do weapons upgrade at all? I haven't found anything beyond the starting Beam\Pulse\Burst lasers. While I don't mind that formula, it'd be cool if we could get better versions of those weapons...
Sadly no, not at the moment. There used to be variants you could buy like overcharged, focused etc, but they mysteriously disappeared from the game a while ago.

As part of the new loot system coming next year we should be able to get hold of upgraded weapons. They've mentioned things like different colour/frequency lasers having different effects (greater hull penetration, things like that). That's about all we know at the moment though, they're usually pretty tight lipped about things until they're ready to show us something.

• Locked thread