Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Yellow Submarine build is pretty rad and will no doubt hit 10000, but I wonder how hard it would be to license the Beatles. I would buy the poo poo out of that. Actually, that set would probably sell ridiculously well and everyone would buy the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ordered Wall-E. I didn't want to pay $8 for shipping, so I ordered the Scooby Doo mansion as well.

Pretty sure I'm bad with money.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ordered Wall-E. I didn't want to pay $8 for shipping, so I ordered the Scooby Doo mansion as well.

Pretty sure I'm bad with money.

"It's buy 2 get 1 free! I'd be stupid to not get 6 $50 sets."

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tomarse posted:

Tonight I decided that it was finally time to start going through my boxes of my childhood lego and trying to build some of the sets up. Starting with the blacktron base.

However, while digging out the bits for steps 1 and 2 of that, I found some parts labelled LL-918 and LL-928.

Back when I was about 10 in the earily 90's I was given a pile of classic space lego by a family friend who had 'outgrown it'. some of it was partially constructed and much of it was just in bits and it all went into my lego boxes.

I had never realised that LL-918/LL-928 were ships until I noticed that Bennys spaceship was LL-929. Now I cant decide if I am more excited to build up LL-928 or the Blacktron base! :D

Benny and antique Benny!:

As the only interesting post in the last few pages, make sure to post some pictures when you get it sorted out.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

NESguerilla posted:

That Yellow Submarine build is pretty rad and will no doubt hit 10000, but I wonder how hard it would be to license the Beatles. I would buy the poo poo out of that. Actually, that set would probably sell ridiculously well and everyone would buy the poo poo out of it.

There was a Knex Yellow Submarine, it was pretty crappy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ElwoodCuse posted:

There was a Knex [anything], it was pretty crappy

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

K'nex is awesome and I'll fight you.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
As a kid the roller coaster was pretty boss.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

anotherblownsave posted:

Just picked up the general grievous buildable figure. Looks badass

The Darth Vader looks great as well. I really think they're the two best of those bionicle type figures they've done. Really impressive (Grievous is huge) and solid looking.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

$100? I wish. It is far, far more expensive than that here. £95, equivalent to $147 after tax. It's only £72 on Wii U though so I am thinking of buying it on that if there's no real difference between the platforms.

If you're still considering it the Xbone and PS4 versions are both down to £80 on Amazon at the moment.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gravy Jones posted:

The Darth Vader looks great as well. I really think they're the two best of those bionicle type figures they've done. Really impressive (Grievous is huge) and solid looking.

Grievous is the thing that finally made me appreciate Bionicle as a system. That poo poo is tight. Plus he's basically the exact thing to show off what it can do.

And yeah, he's massive. All them arms and lightsabers. Not to mention he's like 2/3 legs as far as part count is concerned.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

For any UK Legoons, Tesco Direct have an offer right now where you get 1500 club card points if you spend 75 on Lego. They have the new StarWars sets and some marvel stuff seems to be lower than rrp (ant man battle was £16).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

This thing shoots better then the Nerf guns people in my house have.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

mitochondritom posted:

For any UK Legoons, Tesco Direct have an offer right now where you get 1500 club card points if you spend 75 on Lego. They have the new StarWars sets and some marvel stuff seems to be lower than rrp (ant man battle was £16).

More news for UK Legoons - I was at my local ADSA today and they had Simpsons series 2 minifigs reduced to £1 each.
I blindly grabbed a dozen, with my groceries...

edit: got two Hibberts and two Comic Book Guys, no other doubles, not bad for a blind grab

Fair Hallion fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 25, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ijyt posted:

K'nex is awesome and I'll fight you.
We meet again, superman's enemy, bizarro!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is one gorgeous looking build.

WIP ShipTember day 11 by Gilcelio chagas, on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So my local lego store rep said they haven't had any X-Wing restocks recently, and only have one left in stock. Seems unlikely to stick around to Christmas.

e: Just found out about the double VIP points nexr weekend but I don't care because I have a Slave I and X-Wing to build, I've been waiting for these sets since I was 10. :monar:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 26, 2015

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

rickiep00h posted:

Grievous is the thing that finally made me appreciate Bionicle as a system. That poo poo is tight. Plus he's basically the exact thing to show off what it can do.

And yeah, he's massive. All them arms and lightsabers. Not to mention he's like 2/3 legs as far as part count is concerned.

Yeah after having built him, I went and got the Obi-Wan figure, they were out of darth vader.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Gravy Jones posted:

If you're still considering it the Xbone and PS4 versions are both down to £80 on Amazon at the moment.

Cheers mate, I done did this and got the Bttf and portal packs too!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Why is there no Lego Dimensions thread in Games by the way? Someone do that thing.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Saw the Ninjago mech and Nya set on a shelf. I didn't want it so I didn't buy it, but it looks like it has three modes in game. A regular mech mode, Turret mode and flying mode. That's kind of neat.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
So I'm not sure whether I hate them or love them for it, but the instructions for some parts of the sets are only in-game. For example, the Portal pack has the instructions for Chell but then tells you to look for instructions for the rest in-game.

It kinda sucks for the people who don't care about the game but it's a neat toy-to-game mechanic.

They should probably have had instructions for the box-front models.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Are you serious? That's horse poo poo.

Edit: He was serious, only the mini-fig has instructions.

The Lego pieces are decent enough, but holy gently caress the Portal Gun Chell comes with it rubber, even the handle, and now has a stress mark from trying to put it in her hand once. Maybe it's cool for stuff in game, but for $30 it sucks as a stand alone.

Anora fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 28, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Apparently all those instructions are going to be available online

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Still a weird business practice. Huge bummer about Chel's portal gun, too. Probably the only Dimensions set I was considering picking up... and maybe some Back to the Future stuff too. Pricetags on them are kind of steep.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I had the XB1 starter kit and the Portal 2 expansion in my hand today, before I decided I could wait for sales. Actually seeing that expansion and feeling its weight (and seeing the piece count) really made me reconsider the $30 price point. I really think Lego made a big misstep in pricing; it's just exorbitant. The starter kit for $100 I can kinda see. The game is $60, the RFID reader and 265 pieces are another $40. Priced high, but some SW sets have been almost as bad.
The Portal 2 Level Pack is 85 pieces, which is about a $10 set, maybe $12. The RFID tag isn't expensive in the least, so you're basically paying $20 for some in-game levels and a character. Unless that content is literally a third as long as the main game, it's not worth it. The Team Packs have even less value--no levels, just characters, and a similar number of pieces to the level packs, for $25. Fun Packs are a single character unlock and 30-70 pieces, for $15.
And then they release it all at once. If they divided it into waves, and released maybe 2 level packs, a team pack, and 3 fun packs at a time, it'd be easier to stomach. But, no, it's $750 to get the 'complete' game on release day. You can buy any two current-gen consoles for that. Or somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000 pieces worth of Lego sets.

If they charged $18 for a level pack, $15 for a team pack, and $10 for a 'fun' pack, I may have bought a bunch already. If they released them in quarterly waves, I definitely would have. But now? I'll probably wait for a "Buy the Starter kit, get a Level Pack free" or "Buy 2/1, get 1 free" on the packs before I get any of it.

Edit--I can see where they got their pricing cues--Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Amiibo are all about $12 per figure, but at least with them you're generally getting a nicely-sculpted, nicely-painted statue and some additional game functionality. They basically don't exist outside of their respective lines (except as action figures for Disney/Amiibo, but even then they don't always exist). They clearly thought "One minifig and one minibuild is the equivalent of an Amiibo, so...$15!" without considering that we already have very well-defined prices for Lego. Then ran the math and figured a figure, two minibuilds, and a level is worth twice that, and two minifigs and two minibuilds is worth $10 more.
A Fun Pack is the same thing as a $4-5 polybag, and the game unlocks sure as hell don't add $10 of value.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 29, 2015

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pyroclastic posted:

I had the XB1 starter kit and the Portal 2 expansion in my hand today, before I decided I could wait for sales. Actually seeing that expansion and feeling its weight (and seeing the piece count) really made me reconsider the $30 price point. I really think Lego made a big misstep in pricing; it's just exorbitant. The starter kit for $100 I can kinda see. The game is $60, the RFID reader and 265 pieces are another $40. Priced high, but some SW sets have been almost as bad.
The Portal 2 Level Pack is 85 pieces, which is about a $10 set, maybe $12. The RFID tag isn't expensive in the least, so you're basically paying $20 for some in-game levels and a character. Unless that content is literally a third as long as the main game, it's not worth it. The Team Packs have even less value--no levels, just characters, and a similar number of pieces to the level packs, for $25. Fun Packs are a single character unlock and 30-70 pieces, for $15.
And then they release it all at once. If they divided it into waves, and released maybe 2 level packs, a team pack, and 3 fun packs at a time, it'd be easier to stomach. But, no, it's $750 to get the 'complete' game on release day. You can buy any two current-gen consoles for that. Or somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000 pieces worth of Lego sets.

If they charged $18 for a level pack, $15 for a team pack, and $10 for a 'fun' pack, I may have bought a bunch already. If they released them in quarterly waves, I definitely would have. But now? I'll probably wait for a "Buy the Starter kit, get a Level Pack free" or "Buy 2/1, get 1 free" on the packs before I get any of it.

Edit--I can see where they got their pricing cues--Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Amiibo are all about $12 per figure, but at least with them you're generally getting a nicely-sculpted, nicely-painted statue and some additional game functionality. They basically don't exist outside of their respective lines (except as action figures for Disney/Amiibo, but even then they don't always exist). They clearly thought "One minifig and one minibuild is the equivalent of an Amiibo, so...$15!" without considering that we already have very well-defined prices for Lego. Then ran the math and figured a figure, two minibuilds, and a level is worth twice that, and two minifigs and two minibuilds is worth $10 more.
A Fun Pack is the same thing as a $4-5 polybag, and the game unlocks sure as hell don't add $10 of value.

Thing is that they're definitely aimed at those weirdo Skylanders/Infinity players and casual LEGO fans, which is the perfect rabid overlap. Friend of mine, who is generally amenable to LEGO but doesn't, say, post in this thread, went and bought the base game and every single expansion without having even seen a demo.

There's something about this game that makes people lose their loving minds, and that's coming from someone whose LEGO space is his dining room.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Had to stop by the local target today and decided to see if they had any of the Wall-E sets. Happened to glance over and saw a grandmother by herself feeling up minifig packs like a pro.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Thing is that they're definitely aimed at those weirdo Skylanders/Infinity players and casual LEGO fans, which is the perfect rabid overlap. Friend of mine, who is generally amenable to LEGO but doesn't, say, post in this thread, went and bought the base game and every single expansion without having even seen a demo.

There's something about this game that makes people lose their loving minds, and that's coming from someone whose LEGO space is his dining room.

His CPAP machine is controlling his brain now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From the standpoint of someone who like games as well as Lego I feel like everything about Dimensions seems like a huge ripoff. I'm glad I don't enjoy the Lego games really or else I'd be in a much tougher spot.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was really excited as me and the GF love the Lego games, but I the price tags have dissuaded me from buying this game.

Sadly, there generally rarely good sales on Lego and much less 2 for 1 offers in Germany.

And having read a review that said you are locked out of areas of the main game unless you buy expansion packs is even more disappointing.

Edit: even if this sells poorly I don't see them reducing the prices though. Such is the curse of licensing fees from hell.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 29, 2015

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
If Dimensions is anything like Skylanders it's going to be permanently on sale. My niece (and by extension my sister) is really into Skylanders and if you look hard enough there's more or less always a sale on something Skylanders from a major retailer unless a new version just came out. If Lego adopts the same model it'll only take a few weeks of paying attention to the sales websites to get anything for about a third less than retail.

E: Don't know how much this applies, if at all, outside the states though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Over here Skylanders is also always on sale.

Right now Giants (which was 2. edition i think) is hardly to be found anymore, the swap force (3rd?) is reduced, as is trap team (4th?), because now apparently SuperChargers is coming/out(5th edition).
TBh we played 1st, and I picked up 2nd for a bargain price, but we could not be arsed to buy into the stuff after that.

Sadly I doubt/hope it won't be the same. Otherwise it would mean Lego will also bring out new editions that are only semi compatible with the base game and you need to buy new ones constantly.
Plus I can see Lego creating artificial shortages of sets like the GB/Dr. Who ones to drive collector mentality.

But even though I crave a Lego Dr. I won't buy that set for 30€. Nope.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Looking at shelves so far, there's not going to be much of a shortage.

I found a video online that had the instructions for the Turret and Companion cube, the Cube is simple, and well, it's a cube so it looks decent from any angle, the Turret however only looks good from the front, and has no closed variant.

This Set feels like a $10 set, and I could be happy with it if it was $20, I'd just assume the Levels and RFC things were the extra $10. However, at $30, with no instructions, kind of lovely no-effort builds, and a rubber gun, the Portal 2 set is junk. You know, if they had included the parts to build Glados from the cube and turret, I would even be willing to forgive it up to $25.

I noticed that the Scooby Set, which is $5 cheaper then just buying the Mystery Machine, includes a sandwich as a "Scooby Snack." Come on Lego, you're better then this.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah Skylanders is a nescessary evil in our house and the kid isn't giving that up any time soon. We have massively cut down on how much we spend on it each year though.

And even though we're both into Lego and games and have played through most Lego games together (me somewhat reluctantly some of the time, although the Marvel one and LOTR are both pretty good games) we're not particularly excited about Dimensions. I told him it was basically this or Skylanders and it wasn't even close. We played it at a games show and it didn't seem like anything special, even though the reviews are pretty good. The licenses are tempting, but yeah... rather than buy Dimensions and the Ghostbusters packs that money can go towards buying the modular instead.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The level packs feature no instructions for the micro builds at all, FYI. Not even the first variation of each. Just the minifig (which really doesn't need instructions). Feels very cheap as a product for £30. Disappointed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The level packs feature no instructions for the micro builds at all, FYI. Not even the first variation of each. Just the minifig (which really doesn't need instructions). Feels very cheap as a product for £30. Disappointed.

That is ridiculously off character for lego.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hopper posted:

That is ridiculously off character for lego.

To be fair you unlock them in game by playing the level, so it's meant to prolong the building experience and make it part of the actual level. It's more admirable than Skylanders and Infinity where the toy literally just sits on a stand forgotten about for the entire game. Here, you're expected to move between the virtual and the physical. It sucks for collectors, but rules for gamers and it's very novel in a way.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
ahahahahahahahahahahahhahaa wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mr. Glass posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahhahaa wtf

We've known about that for awhile and it's going to be amazing. Apparently it's basically builable levels that you can actually knock down and sling the birds at. Lots of unique new pieces too being made to support it.