Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Not really? He was shaking Todoroki and yelling at him to get up but he wasn't actually hurting him. Midnight put him to sleep so they could separate them because Bakugou was having a breakdown. He also doesn't continue attacking Uraraka when she collapses - after the fight not only does he think she's strong but he tears into Midoriya at the possibility that he influenced the tactics that lead her to getting hurt in the fight. Eraserhead points it out that he respects his opponent enough to go full out without seriously harming them.

Outside of how he treats Midoriya and All-Might (and he even thanked him out of obligation despite hating him in the first chapter) he doesn't resort to violence outside of sanctioned fights, works hard at school and is actually really intelligent. He took his admissions so seriously he told his friend to put out his cigarette just in case it made him look bad. He's got a whole childhood worth of inflated pride and the teachers not intervening or helping him working against him though.

Of course he didn't keep attacking Uraraka. She treated the fight seriously and also wasn't Deku. If Todoroki had went at Bakugou going all out Bakugou wouldn't have freaked out, blew him out of the ring and then jumped on top of him ranting for him take the fight seriously. Also I don't think him not resorting to violence at the drop of a hat is a point towards him being a good person, because it is expected of most sane individuals to not violently attack someone for no reason. It's not really commendable, and although he doesn't attack Deku unless in competition he is incredibly mean to they guy and even trashes his stuff like his notebook in the first chapter.

Like, honestly Bakugou has quite a few admirable traits. Deku admires him for a reason. But I don't think any of those traits actually translate to him being a good person or a heroic individual. In the first omake Horikoshi describes as being despicable and rotten to the core, and from the way he's been portrayed he is kind of a goddamn awful person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also I don't think him not resorting to violence at the drop of a hat is a point towards him being a good person, because it is expected of most sane individuals to not violently attack someone for no reason.

This is a world where a dude who beats and rapes his wife until she got committed is the second most powerful/well regarded "hero" and that the vast majority of the other heroes are useless sods doing television commercials. Bakugou is a vast improvement even if he's a shitlord.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

This is a world where a dude who beats and rapes his wife until she got committed is the second most powerful/well regarded "hero" and that the vast majority of the other heroes are useless sods doing television commercials. Bakugou is a vast improvement even if he's a shitlord.

Being better than Endeavor is not an accomplishment. Endeavor is an awful dude, a terrible parent, and a wife beater. He should probably be in jail.

Also, that still doesn't mean Bakugou is a good person. Which is what I was talking about.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Being better than Endeavor is not an accomplishment. Endeavor is an awful dude, a terrible parent, and a wife beater. He should probably be in jail.

Also, that still doesn't mean Bakugou is a good person. Which is what I was talking about.

Never said Bakugou was a good person - he's a grade A shitlord with issues. It doesn't mean he can't hold himself to some pretty lofty heroic ideals in a broken system though.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
How many people actually want Bagukou to end up as something other than a hero? I'm really not interested in that plot line. I think the most interesting thing would be for him to actually learn how to not be a shitlord.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i'd be pretty happy if he stays angry at the world but manages to dial it down when he isn't dealing with villains

dude just needs to focus that energy

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If Bakugou isn't an abrasive fuckhead then there's basically no reason for him to exist.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

TriffTshngo posted:

If Bakugou isn't an abrasive fuckhead then there's basically no reason for him to exist.

yeah i'm really glad he's this interesting jackass instead of whatever it was he was originally planned to be

I looked at the one-shot with adult salesman deku and man the mangaka really improved between then and now hey

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ruggington posted:

I will never recover after invisible girl's death

How would you know?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bakugou is tsundere

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Green Intern posted:

How would you know?

She's actually been dead for three chapters and the tape guy has just been holding her clothes up puppet style since.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Photoshopping All Might's face onto other characters is really funny.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

red plastic cup posted:

Photoshopping All Might's face onto other characters is really funny.

I know its because of the flames, but Endeavor here immediately reminded me of this picture.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Twiddy posted:

In general, Aizawa has the perfect ability for this test. Assuming that Yaoyorozu and Todoroki properly work together, he can only ever shut down one of their abilities for this test. He's perfect for testing the two generically strongest/smartest students working together in order to overcome him. This is of course, not to say the fight will be easy even if they properly work together. Aizawa knows the limits of his quirk and has had an entire career to learn how to work around it. Fundamentally though, the 2v1 format is disadvantageous to him.

I'm kind of interested to see how they set up the other 8 fights.

Yaoyorozu and Todoroki are also two people that have very potent abilities, but seem to rely too much on them in combat. Deku's fight with him during the tournament, and his fight with Stain reveal that if you can get through/around his ice, Todoroki has very little reaction to attacks. And Yaoyorozu has shown some great innovation with her ability, but they require setup and usually another person to really maximize their effect. Having to learn basic hand to hand combat, and how to function without their abilities would go really far in making them more rounded. Plus Yaoyorozu is criminally under utilized in this series and it's about time she got the limelight.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Twiddy posted:

In general, Aizawa has the perfect ability for this test. Assuming that Yaoyorozu and Todoroki properly work together, he can only ever shut down one of their abilities for this test.

Can't he shut down multiple people at a time i.e. however many people he's looking at, rather than just one person at a time? That's certainly the impression I got from the fight against the villain alliance, given how many people took him on at once there.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tsob posted:

Can't he shut down multiple people at a time i.e. however many people he's looking at, rather than just one person at a time? That's certainly the impression I got from the fight against the villain alliance, given how many people took him on at once there.

The idea then was that his mask prevents them from telling who he's looking at, so it could be any of them, thus a standoff.

But it doesn't work at all on full body quirks like Noumu's or, like, frog girl's.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

tsob posted:

Yes, that's why I said "if they're properly working together," because line of sight is limited. Obviously I wouldn't have needed that modifier otherwise.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 1, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Part of it is that they can fight so that he can't look at both at the same time but they also have abilities that allow them to obscure line of sight so they can block his cancellation by using their quirk to obscure themselves from view.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

GoldenPrice posted:

I know its because of the flames, but Endeavor here immediately reminded me of this picture.

Oh man, it's not even the flames, Endeavor's anatomy is super hosed in that picture - but since this guy doesn't normally have anatomy problems i'm inclined to believe he did it on purpose.

If the mangaka legit likes American comics it could've been completely intentional I love this goddamn thing

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers are out.

Here are the matchups.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Those are some sweet match-ups.

More than anything though, I like how none of these kids have ever been paired up with one another before. Looking forward to some cool new team dynamics.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Huh, navel dude and Urakawa is an interesting team-up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ok Bottom Right. What class does that guy teach and how does he have tenure?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's an accomplished dental hygienist.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The two dumbest students in the class are paired off against the school principal. Heh.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I love the posing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I love how psyched Mineta is!! Do your best, you pervy little dude!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I love how psyched Mineta is!! Do your best, you pervy little dude!

But what if he is still terrified by Mt. Lady?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Mineta is loving it.

Top right is the fight I want to see the most. That match up.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think they might actually be teamed up together against the faculty member they have the best chance of beating.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The two dumbest students in the class are paired off against the school principal. Heh.

This is the fight I am most excited about

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the fight I am most excited about

Principal Mouse and DJ Radio look so loving amped and that's got me excited.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I agree with the fight everyone is pumped for, and also that page is fantastic because those are perfect fighting game standoff screens.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I hope we get to see a little bit of everyone's fights, at least.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Principal Mouse and DJ Radio look so loving amped and that's got me excited.

Really interested in this one, because it looks like it's going to be, at least in part, sonic powers versus sonic powers.

And yeah, this is one case where I want to see everything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I hope we get to see a little bit of everyone's fights, at least.

The tournament arc was good about that; we did get to see most of the fights in brief (and those that we didn't get to see, we were at least told how it went down).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Fowl posted:

Really interested in this one, because it looks like it's going to be, at least in part, sonic powers versus sonic powers.

And yeah, this is one case where I want to see everything.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be matched up with their idols or someone with similar powers. Uraraka vs No. 13, Jirou vs Present Mic, Kirishima vs Cementoss, Deku vs All Might of course...

And then we have the two idiots versus the principal. Who looks amped as hell to be there, while they're both a bit nonplussed by him. I'm wondering if he's going to completely clown the two of them.

Man, all of these matchups look great. I agree that it'd be great if we at least got glimpses of everyone else.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Spoilers are out.

Here are the matchups.

Hmm, bottom right teacher's name is Ectoplasm. Ghost powers? Seems like a matchup focused on Tokoyami.
Bottom left is... Powerloader? He seems to be mostly exosuit/armour, wonder what his quirk is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chumbler posted:

But what if he is still terrified by Mt. Lady?

Reverse Sanji'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou is an rear end in a top hat.

The game is that you either incapacitate a teacher long enough to handcuff them, or you escape from the zone. Midoriya of course thinks they stand no chance in a stand up fight and wants to escape, Bakugou cold-cocks him and says he's going to fight All Might.