Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

UrbicaMortis posted:

If you see someone transform into a ravening wolf-beast, that's a good hint.

What if it's a life mage or protean vampire though? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

spectralent posted:

What if it's a life mage or protean vampire though? :ohdear:

Waste them and consider it a bonus.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Or really let them live, nWOD werewolves do seem to have a positive impact on the spiritual ecosystem

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

homerlaw posted:

Or really let them live, nWOD werewolves do seem to have a positive impact on the spiritual ecosystem

Who cares about the spiritual ecosystem when they kill and eat your neighbor?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Forsaken werewolves shouldn't be Hunter werewolves, because unless you catch the former alone and bring a machine gun of silver, you're gonna get Lunacy'd and shredded.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure bisexuals are invisible anyways, so the ring finger thing doesn't apply. :smug:

My god, it all makes sense.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kavak posted:

Forsaken werewolves shouldn't be Hunter werewolves, because unless you catch the former alone and bring a machine gun of silver, you're gonna get Lunacy'd and shredded.

Hunters take down the not-werewolves from Changing Breeds, and thus do the world a public service.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I have an idea! But it requires my players to have some sort of connection to the police. Either as cops or consultants or whatever. Is that too cliché snd/or dickish to ask? The idea goes that basically two cops got murdered and had various facial parts removed. Im going with an angel thats trying to regain some of his cover in a really wierd way. The clue that gets them all going in the right direction is the tip that the car the angel is driving isnt a car from any real manufacturer, and his numberplate doesnt match up to where its licensed. Good idea/bad?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Make characters that are somehow tied to this particular group"isn't unreasonable at all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The main thing is to give them a dot of Police Status free - don't charge them for something required.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, ive been reading through tales of the 13th precinct.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STing for me got a lot easier when I just gave everyone free dots in Contacts : Plot Hooks.

No one's an island! Have some friends! You just pick if it's the police or the FBI or gangsters or academics or loving chefs!

Now I have as many trivially easy ways to tie in stories as players.

"I think the spirit has been terrorizing... O Todd has Contacts : Lumberjacks? Yeah. It's a malevolent forest spirit going after loggers. Sure. *texts Todd to ask about his axe bros*"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

This is actually good advice for any game and players will usually go for it as well which is nice. You can even offer them free status in things too and then they actually want to look after it :3:

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Mors Rattus posted:

Who cares about the spiritual ecosystem when they kill and eat your neighbor?

Look at it in the long game, without the woofs some horrible spirit monster would eat them anyways!
(But yeah, probably don't run Garou in Hunter for a more monster of the week style thing)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Check the length of their ring fingers. I'm almost 100% sure that's a real thing.

I've always hard it's an aversion to cilantro just like how vampires hate garlic

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Are there any mage equivalent of a ghoul?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are there any mage equivalent of a ghoul?

Sleepwalkers, people who're exposed to magic but don't raise paradox.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Proximi are more the equivalent, they are from a bloodline and inherit a curse and ability to use certain rotes which they buy as merits. Mostly a silver ladder and Seer thing IIRC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

neaden posted:

Proximi are more the equivalent, they are from a bloodline and inherit a curse and ability to use certain rotes which they buy as merits. Mostly a silver ladder and Seer thing IIRC.

Proximi are pretty great, being families with magical powers. You can go full anime with them.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sweet. Which book are they in?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
They're mentioned in the core book, but I think they get more detail in the Silver Ladder book.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sweet. Which book are they in?

The bare bones "with this merit, you might get some powers. maybe" is in the 1st ed Awakening corebook.

The proper system for them was in Silver Ladder, which had two Proximi dynasties statted up. Seers of the Throne had a third one.

That's the extent of them in the current edition.

For the upcoming edition, the system for Proximi - and a fourth, original example dynasty - made in into Awakening 2nd ed by the skin of its wordcount, consuming other topics in the womb for the right to exist. The Seer Proximus dynasty is converted to 2e in Dark Eras.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Gotcha, thanks!

Speaking of 2nd, whats the ETA?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Prison Warden posted:

They're mentioned in the core book, but I think they get more detail in the Silver Ladder book.

Yep, basically each Dynasty has a number of Rote dots they can purchase a merits (IIRC 30, with every spell being considered one dot higher) and then can cast without Paradox. They also do not count as Sleepers. Each Dynasty has a curse though. One of the examples are descendants of Cassandra, who can see the future but can't tell people what they saw so need to do all kind of shenanigans to get around their curse.

So this is an amazing tool for plot hooks and characters. In fact, Proximi are pretty playable as PCs.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Im thinking of having one as the personal manservant for one of my NPCs. Mages are also ageless in my game, because gently caress having unlimited power if you can only enjoy it for 40 years.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
What are themes and drama, precious

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

DJ Dizzy posted:

Gotcha, thanks!

Speaking of 2nd, whats the ETA?

Awakening came back from the editor earlier this week. I've already gone through all her changes, applied my own errata file's contents, and forwarded the thing on to our layout guy. The text is done. The artists have all been hired for a while. Once the art comes in, the layout man can assemble the pdf.

Then I have to go through it and check for page XXs. And then CCP have to approve it.

We're in uncharted territory, as far as my experience goes. No idea how long it'll take. Forsaken 2 was delayed, IIRC, with an artist dropping out - that kind of thing could still happen.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Then I have to go through it and check for page XXs.
Smite your layout guy with cleansing fire if this is remotely a concern.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Smite your layout guy with cleansing fire if this is remotely a concern.

You should come hang out in the Exalted thread where we've been complaining about this very thing for the past week or so.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

NIV3K posted:

You should come hang out in the Exalted thread where we've been complaining about this very thing for the past week or so.
I'm literally the guy who does that every time, in the Exalted thread, already

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The White Wolf workflow's greatest weakness: someone who knows anything at all

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Then I have to go through it and check for page XXs.

I understand neither why this is a thing that still happens even with modern layout tools, nor why doing it is a part of your job.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im thinking of having one as the personal manservant for one of my NPCs. Mages are also ageless in my game, because gently caress having unlimited power if you can only enjoy it for 40 years.

You can achieve the continuation of your consciousness with Mind, Spirit, Life, Death and probably Fate at 5. Mages unworried about aging is less interesting than mages who need to cast a ritual monthly, hop from body to body, exist as Spirits, or suck life out of people, imo

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Especially if extending your lifespan requires you to do something heinous in the process, giving you free story hooks all over the place.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Y'all are right. As usual. Im making one of my antagonists a Tremere then.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So for my group's first session, I'm going to run a small "Baby's First World of Darkness" game where I'm going to go over the different skills and whatnot. I'm making them all play simple dumb humans because 1. they don't know how to play this game and B. they can't agree on one creature to play. One wants to be a Mage, another desperately wants to play a werewolf, and one just wants to be a cultist (:wtf:). Once they get through this I'll probably make them vote on the next creature they all get to play, that way I don't have to teach the mechanics more than once (hopefully).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tezzor posted:

You can achieve the continuation of your consciousness with Mind, Spirit, Life, Death and probably Fate at 5. Mages unworried about aging is less interesting than mages who need to cast a ritual monthly, hop from body to body, exist as Spirits, or suck life out of people, imo
I like the idea of mages being longer lived naturally, but to be functionally immortal you need a Mastery and a general disregard for being fully human. I also like the idea of being able to do it regardless of arcanum used, but more arcana means a higher quality; like maybe Forces just keeps your neurons firing, but adding some Life in there makes them not degrade at all. Or whatever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Isn't 'I'm going to live a really long time' a Life 2 spell, rolled in with a bunch of other I'm-super-healthy poo poo? It's been a while since I combed through the list.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, and it just makes you age at maximum human gracefulness, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cabbit posted:

Isn't 'I'm going to live a really long time' a Life 2 spell, rolled in with a bunch of other I'm-super-healthy poo poo? It's been a while since I combed through the list.
Yeah, it gives you +25 years per Life dot iirc. Not quite enough to have Christopher Lambert play you in your biopic, but still pretty nice.