Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Outside of the newbie zones and agartha, this game has always had low to no population. When you do find someone, they are usually off doing their own single player content. The only time I've ever been able to team up with someone was when it was something planned with a friend or I happened to run across someone doing the same mission and we helped each other out.

I actually like not seeing 50 people running around the same super high secure facility as you are. It helps set a tone, but it also makes the MMO part of this MMO incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Having the areas be mostly empty helps the atmosphere a lot, to be honest. You're agents scouring an island so haunted the army has barred it off from the rest of the world. The amusement park wouldn't be half as creepy were there fifty people running around it shooting every zombie in sight.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I get that it feeling empty is part of the atmosphere, but there's a big difference between "I don't see people running around in the zones" and "I'm not finding anyone in the LFG tool or chat rooms either"

The former is atmosphere. The latter removes the "MM" from an ""MMO"

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That second part can't be helped, because this game should never have been an MMO to begin with.

(you can get groups in #sanctuary and #noobmares unless it's super off hours)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is there poo poo in the new issue I'll want if I basically just tool around doing solo poo poo? Everything I've seen is about dungeons or raids.

Picking this back up again, haven't played since Issue 11 came out. Banged my head against the fight where you have to stay alive against a bunch of anima users a bunch of times and quit.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Defiance Industries posted:

Is there poo poo in the new issue I'll want if I basically just tool around doing solo poo poo? Everything I've seen is about dungeons or raids.

Picking this back up again, haven't played since Issue 11 came out. Banged my head against the fight where you have to stay alive against a bunch of anima users a bunch of times and quit.

Yes. The currency change will be huge. There is one consolidated currency now (Black Bullion) that you gain for doing anything. You can use it to buy nightmare stuff.

Issue 11 is great and if you need help holler in #sanctuary. Complete the story and then that will be about it.

Issue 12 introduced the new currency changes, new daily challenges and new elite dungeon. Some other stuff is coming down the pipe.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kessel posted:

That second part can't be helped, because this game should never have been an MMO to begin with.

I still die a little bit inside every time I think about what could have been if TSW was a small multiplayer game, kinda like a borderlands style 4 person game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just hope a build leaks and we get private servers whenif Funcom goes belly up.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Are any of these prebuilt decks any good? I'm totally new (Dragon) and am having a hard time figuring out what weapons I like just from blasting training dummies. I know the OP says they're not but I was wondering if after various upgrades and game patches they were any better.

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 30, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OSheaman posted:

Are any of these prebuilt decks any good? I'm totally new (Dragon) and am having a hard time figuring out what weapons I like just from blasting training dummies.

No.

Pick 2 weapons.

Pick 1 Builder (Builds 1 resource on each weapon).
If that builder wasn't an AoE, pick a second builder that is.
Pick 1 consumer for each weapon type (consumes all resources, or, if elemental consumes 2, 3, or 5 resources). Make sure they have no cooldown or cooldown <5 seconds.
Fill the other 3-4 spots with CC, movement, or offensive/defensive cooldowns.

Spend 1AP each on:
Brawler
Mind over Matter
Immortal Spirit
Lick your wounds

Spend 2 more AP in Elementalism for Elemental Force.

Grab the cheap inner wheel passives that give +10% to your 2 weapon types.

Bam. Cheap build that will do almost all the single-player stuff you need.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So (tomorrow) about to hit the I11 Orochi tower missions for the first time. Is it OK solo or am I likely going to need to bring company?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Orochi is a company and I, for one, will not stand for company-on-company violence.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

macnbc posted:

So (tomorrow) about to hit the I11 Orochi tower missions for the first time. Is it OK solo or am I likely going to need to bring company?

I did it with a friend but its easyish to solo. The Tower Mission is a combat/puzzle mission , so the puzzles might be frustrating. Make sure not to spoil yourself, the tower mission is one of the best missions out there!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I'm just coming back, haven't since Issue 5 had just come out. I seem to be just starting the City of the Sun God area, right after the desert.

I'm doing Chaos/Fist, with QL6 blue weapons, and I've been focusing on hit rating with my gear. I feel like I'm getting my rear end kicked. This is my current deck: http://www.tsw-builder.com/#53v511572502324306350g02p943351530503712330353

I usually finish a fight around 35%-50% health, it feels like if I aggro something while fighting I'm pretty much screwed... Does my build seem terrible? Is there a super easy face roll solo build I should follow (I'm not really into the combat, but I want to finish the story)?

Also, can I get an invite to the Cabal? I'm a Templar, name is Rogrom.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 1, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Haerc posted:

I'm just coming back, haven't since Issue 5 had just come out. I seem to be just starting the City of the Sun God area, right after the desert.

I'm doing Chaos/Fist, with QL6 blue weapons, and I've been focusing on hit rating with my gear. I feel like I'm getting my rear end kicked. This is my current deck: http://www.tsw-builder.com/#53v511572502324306350g02p943351530503712330353

I usually finish a fight around 35%-50% health, it feels like if I aggro something while fighting I'm pretty much screwed... Does my build seem terrible? Is there a super easy face roll solo build I should follow (I'm not really into the combat, but I want to finish the story)?

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#53v511572502324306513g02p943503512403505110516

Stop wearing healing gear.

Also, someone who has played in the last couple of years should tell you if QL6 is too low for CotSG.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

When I played through City of the Sun God earlier this year I was packing QL10 blues, so yeah, I think Ql6 might be a little low.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Stop wearing healing gear.

Healing gear? Is hit rating for healing? I though it was pretty much required to kill things.

Thanks for the build.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Haerc posted:

Healing gear? Is hit rating for healing? I though it was pretty much required to kill things.

Thanks for the build.

I assumed you were wearing partial healing gear because you had a bunch of healing abilities slotted.

So either:
You did, and your damage sucked.
You didn't, and your healing ability slots were all wasted since they didn't do anything meaningful without gear.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Haerc posted:

Get rid of hot Iron thats a bit weird to have as a passive. Replace it with Bloodsport in the fist tree (every time you hit you apply an afflict). Get rid of Paradigm shift and replace it with a healing passive, either Lick your wounds (heal every time you hti something) or any other HOT that triggers when you crit/penetrate (depending on your stats)

Edit: Build up to an elite passive as well, Elite skills are very handy

Exmond fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 1, 2015

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Psycho Landlord posted:

When I played through City of the Sun God earlier this year I was packing QL10 blues, so yeah, I think Ql6 might be a little low.

QL10 blues start dropping in Trans dungeons/quests, so I'd say you were a bit overgeared. I think COSG drops ql7-8 stuff, so starting it with QL6 is right on point.

Haerc posted:

Yeah, Hot Iron is worthless there.

Also, you're only using a pbaoe builder, so against a single target you're doing comparatively very low damage. Even the very first 1-ap builder in chaos will do double the damage, and the afflict you get off a frenzy isn't worth nearly as much in a fight as doing double the damage. Keep it for group mobs, but always carry a single-target builder.

You also seem to be trying to use too many triggers-if you're building for afflicts as you seem to be, you should be running a lot more passives that trigger off affliction. If you're building for weaken, you should have more triggers there. If I recall right, shotgun has a lot of fun on-weaken triggers.

Gear-wise, you want penetration as well as hit, because mobs by that point do start getting block up to the point where you'll lose a bunch of damage to blocked hits, and you don't really need oodles of hit rating to not glance off of any regular mob. Oh, and I'd also ditch Paradigm shift-especially if you're wearing hit rating gear.

As far as healing/attack gear, Toshimo was talking about the main stats on amulets: +Heal Rating or +Attack Rating. You can get healing pieces with +hit gear, so that really doesn't tell us much.

Just to clarify this: Hit Rating simply stops you from getting glancing hits or evades (which are ridiculously rare) when you attack. Having an assload of hit rating won't actually let you do more damage, and most regular mobs don't have enough Def to evade or have you glance a lot.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kessel posted:

This. I couldn't do History of Violins and found 2 #sanctuary dudes to help me in about a minute. I am in EU timezone though.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Hoverboards that wipe agro? I got to respect Funcom's recent ability to give me good reasons an excuse to throw money at them. Also, I am really looking forward to The Park. I thought it was just going to be another Halloween event in the game, but I'm glad they are doing the single player narrative thing.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

TracerM17 posted:

Hoverboards that wipe agro? I got to respect Funcom's recent ability to give me good reasons an excuse to throw money at them. Also, I am really looking forward to The Park. I thought it was just going to be another Halloween event in the game, but I'm glad they are doing the single player narrative thing.

I hope it sells well honestly. This could be the push Funcom to give more stories in the game the single player experience. That is assuming this takes place in the TSW world (The secret world world, har har) and is not just reuse of assets to quickly push out a game. Either way, looks neat. Hopefully they are able to get people interested in it through advertisements and such.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HughGRect posted:

I hope it sells well honestly. This could be the push Funcom to give more stories in the game the single player experience. That is assuming this takes place in the TSW world (The secret world world, har har) and is not just reuse of assets to quickly push out a game. Either way, looks neat.

They've confirmed several times it does take place in TSW, even if it's not being obvious about it in some marketing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Didn't really like that part but I guess it does stand out somewhat.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

How's the PVP in this? Any better than ~2 years ago, or still silly and pointless?

Edit: I haven't played since ~Issue 7, so catching up on all the story seems pretty appealing as well.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 19, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish TSW was a single player game.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Reason posted:

I just wish TSW was a single player game.

I was gonna post something about The Park that is coming out in a week. It is a small single player experience that takes place in the amusement park.

Then I looked it up in steam and found this blurb hidden at the bottom:

The Park on Steam posted:

BONUS: The Park is inspired by a setting within the modern-day myths and mysteries MMO The Secret World. This copy of The Park includes unique in-game items that can be applied to one The Secret World account; the Killer Chipmunk outfit and three powerful, legendary talismans.

And I became the first person to pre-order The Park.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Honestly I will support anything Secret World related just based on how much I love the loving setting. The lore is dense and entertaining, the story dump missions are fantastic and the whole thing is the best Lovecraftian experience I've had since watching In The Mouth of Madness in theaters in the 90s. I am stoked on The Park and I hope that when TSW eventually fades to nothing it will still have some sort of single player private server available because drat I would hate to lose such a fantastically atmospheric experience.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
What's the best way to get people together to do the dungeon missions? It's hard to imagine getting 5 people together for the Solomon Island dungeons when I see maybe one person at a time ever outside of Agartha.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

OSheaman posted:

What's the best way to get people together to do the dungeon missions? It's hard to imagine getting 5 people together for the Solomon Island dungeons when I see maybe one person at a time ever outside of Agartha.

Check the Sanctuary chat channel. There's usually some helpful people there.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

HughGRect posted:

I was gonna post something about The Park that is coming out in a week. It is a small single player experience that takes place in the amusement park.

Then I looked it up in steam and found this blurb hidden at the bottom:

And I became the first person to pre-order The Park.

I beat you to it ;)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Exmond posted:

I beat you to it ;)

With our two pre-orders combined, we have doubled the ROI that funcom put into The Park.

:hfive:

Does that make us the problem or the solution?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'm getting it too, put money down the minute it hit Steam. Pretty pumped about it too.

Also with your preorders combined you're making captain planet. Duh.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Dibs on heart.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That's fine, I already know how to do wind anyway. Would you pull my ring?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So I'm in Blue Mountain, slowly building myself kind of towards this Blade/Chaos build:

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#...0bibscd4na45000

My one concern is that every attack in the final build is AoE...nothing single target. Is this a problem? If so, what should I modify to maintain the Frenzy synergy but get some good single target attacks?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OSheaman posted:

So I'm in Blue Mountain, slowly building myself kind of towards this Blade/Chaos build:

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#...0bibscd4na45000

My one concern is that every attack in the final build is AoE...nothing single target. Is this a problem? If so, what should I modify to maintain the Frenzy synergy but get some good single target attacks?

All AoE is fine, but take out Steel Palace and Gross Anatomy for Clearing the Path and Fluid Defense. Your passives aren't actually buffing Frenzy attacks and your builder+karma will keep all your buffs up just fine. CtP is a massive DPS upgrade and Fluid Defense is an A+ elite passive.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
If I did want to sub a single target attack for something, maybe Spiral of Death, any suggestions? I get nervous at how long it takes me to handle boss monsters using just the AoE stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OSheaman posted:

If I did want to sub a single target attack for something, maybe Spiral of Death, any suggestions? I get nervous at how long it takes me to handle boss monsters using just the AoE stuff.

No idea. Call for Eris, maybe?

• Locked thread