Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bobfather posted:

Crystal was a trap. The guy has been receiving poo poo loads of negative feedback because he wants to whitelist some ads.

Which is not a bad thing in and of itself. Known-good ad providers are fine to whitelist if you want (he's apparently going to make it an option) but from what I'd heard, he was going to be taking payments to allow ads through and wasn't willing to divulge the details of deals, which seems sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Why aren't you guys using Purify? It's on sale for one cheeseburger and I haven't really had any issues with it. Although it's not as customizable compared to something like 1Block.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wooger posted:

Does the new Tweetbot have a night mode or theming of some sort? That pure-white screenshot looks like it would be un-useable for me.
It has it in the current version, and even has a function to automatically switch based on the screen brightness.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
What Acceptable Ads is that you pay a third party to evaluate your ads are unobtrusive. If they are, they're added to a list shared by some of the ad blockers.

Banner ads are okay. Full screen covering ads are annoying. onClick popup ads are a sure fire way to make sure I never visit the site again.

Ads survived VHS, TiVo, popup blockers, and ABP. They'll survive Crystal and Purify.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Night mode is the only way to use Tweetbot :cool:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Endless Mike posted:

It has it in the current version, and even has a function to automatically switch based on the screen brightness.

Ah, that's good. Only have an iPad right now, so stuck with the ancient 2012 version (and stopped using it).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is AppShopper finally dead? Alerts work but the content of the app won't update, showing the same lists of week+ outdated information whenever I refresh.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Bummey posted:

Is AppShopper finally dead? Alerts work but the content of the app won't update, showing the same lists of week+ outdated information whenever I refresh.

Still working for me.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Did Facebook get rid of the Most Recent feed on the app or did they move it (again)?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I eliminate advertisements from all websites I consume on my iOS device, because I already get enough of them playing any iOS game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

keevo posted:

Did Facebook get rid of the Most Recent feed on the app or did they move it (again)?
Go to More > See More > Feeds > Most Recent. They sure don't want to make it easy to find, but it's still there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't even have it in the feeds list, looks like they killed it. Which is very upsetting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Dave posted:

I don't even have it in the feeds list, looks like they killed it. Which is very upsetting.
Oh no :ohdear: If that's true, I'll probably never check my news feed on the Facebook app again. I'll only keep it around for notifications.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

The Dave posted:

I don't see it either. loving ridiculous.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Never Update Facebook.app.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Ugh. I kind of get why they want to get rid of it but gently caress them.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

use Paper. still has chat integrated too.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

baram. posted:

use Paper. still has chat integrated too.

What is this Paper?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

facebook's other app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paper-stories-from-facebook/id794163692?mt=8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used Paper when it first dropped and liked it but then I quit using it when I realized it didn't have a proper Most Recent feed. Does it have one now?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I find paper cumbersome to use as just an alternate feed. It's strength is in stories / articles.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I wish the Facebook would jsut quit draining battery like a dick

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Any recommendations on document 'scanning' apps that will let me photograph multiple page documents, convert to PDF and upload directly to Dropbox?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And now most recent is back?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

oversteer posted:

Any recommendations on document 'scanning' apps that will let me photograph multiple page documents, convert to PDF and upload directly to Dropbox?

I like Scanner Pro a lot for this kinda thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

oversteer posted:

I use Scanbot for all my expense receipts in exactly this manner. Works great.

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
Recently switched over to iOS from android, any keyboards I should know about? I feel that Swype on iOS isn't as good as the android version and I was wondering if there are other alternatives. I need to be able to draw my words out on the keyboard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Paper sucks because I'm not a fan of the huge tiles.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Why aren't you guys using Purify? It's on sale for one cheeseburger and I haven't really had any issues with it. Although it's not as customizable compared to something like 1Block.

Yup, I got rid of crystal and this is now doing the trick. Thanks!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It seems like every day there is another post telling people to use one ad blocker or the other and so far they all seem just OK or fine.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

oversteer posted:

I've been using JotNot Pro for ages. Used it to do all the doc's that needed signed for my refi.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

Zero000 posted:

Recently switched over to iOS from android, any keyboards I should know about? I feel that Swype on iOS isn't as good as the android version and I was wondering if there are other alternatives. I need to be able to draw my words out on the keyboard

I really like SwiftKey but iOS support for third party keyboards is not very good so I often don't even bother.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Dave posted:

And now most recent is back?
Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it was just a temporary glitch?

Are there any good 3rd party apps that let you check your Facebook news feed? I'd gladly shell out a few bucks for an app that consistently did not gently caress up like the official Facebook app does.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
the Facebook app is still the only app I use capable of locking my 6 up for like a minute at a time

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Zero000 posted:

TouchPal I find to be pretty good because of the easy access to punctuation. My only gripe is that they don't have a UK English dictionary yet, just US English and over a foreign languages. Once it has UK English and Japanese support I'll be over the moon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I wish the Facebook would jsut quit draining battery like a dick

It has used 8% of my battery in the past 24 hours. For comparison, Overcast has used 36% and Music 19%. Seems fine to me? Try turning off background app refresh and location services for it, maybe.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Have you guys ever played SimCity on your phone! Thats a battery drainer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Having your phone on drains the battery. Turn it off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I use Scanbot for all my expense receipts in exactly this manner. Works great.

Scanbot for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It has used 8% of my battery in the past 24 hours. For comparison, Overcast has used 36% and Music 19%. Seems fine to me? Try turning off background app refresh and location services for it, maybe.

I have background app refresh off for the Facebook app. I also use my work computer for Facebook between 9am and about 4 or 5pm. And mostly use my iPad once I get home.

Facebook has used 30% of my battery in the last 24 hours and 29% in the last 4 days.