Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The 'optional parts' thing probably wasn't thought out very well; of those, the only ones it feels like you could probably reason miss or run out of time for while still collecting all the required parts are the flotation ring (because it's not as obvious) and maybe the UV lamp if you're pressed for time. Since the game doesn't tell you outright which parts are needed or not, you might GUESS that you don't need, say, the massage chair or nova blaster, but if you're at the point where you're able to make that call you probably have more than enough time and resources to grab those along the way since they're near other parts (and both are also by bomb-rocks useful for getting other parts).

I'm actually pretty impressed with how the candy-pop flower puzzle was handled, that's one of the tougher pieces for most new players, but it went really, really well, so good job! That said, the last area is going to be...something special, for sure. I will be pleasantly surprised if it goes as smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Actually... :spergin:

Running and throwing does give you an extra bit of distance, yeah, but there's ANOTHER mechanic the game never really mentions. Specifically, in Pikmin 1, yellows' higher throw arc means that they just land a little bit further past where the cursor is aiming (as you may have noticed trying to get yellows into the blue bud). You can make the jump between the candypop mesa and the beach just by standing on the very edge and throwing small groups so they don't elbow each other into the surf.

Still, kudos on discovering the lifeguard way!

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 26, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It's possible to do the entire island-hop sequence just with yellows, yes, but the video method was both hilarious and more expedient, so I'm all for it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's possible to do the entire island-hop sequence just with yellows, yes, but the video method was both hilarious and more expedient, so I'm all for it.

I think the puzzle actually was meant to showcase and make use of the lifeguard mechanic, but because the game at no point refers to it, on my first time I ended up doing it with yellows only while yelling at my tv the whole time. Oh Pikmin.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 25 - I Already Feel Like a Monster

This went both better and worse than I would've liked it to!

Also I finally fixed my audio balance issues, I think! So videos from now on should actually be a reasonable volume and not whisper quiet!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Episode 25 - I Already Feel Like a Monster

This went both better and worse than I would've liked it to!

Also I finally fixed my audio balance issues, I think! So videos from now on should actually be a reasonable volume and not whisper quiet!

"Don't whistle at the bomb rock pikmin, they will set their bombs"
*Thinks about it, whistles, immediately realizes mistake*
:allears:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Day 1 of THE FINAL TRIAL has claimed the lives of 28 Pikmin.

Also, "Oh poo poo".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like that there seem to be no enemies. I mean, I assume there's a final boss with the last part, but it's cool that this is more of a final exam than a gauntlet.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
While the recovery involved in doing that last task was incredible, it's worth mentioning that Pikmin in Olimar's squad will still be safe at the end of the day even if there's no way you could actually get them back to the Onions, so that was still an option. Also, that drowning was probably some of the red pikmin; the most likely culprit is them trying to break down the rock wall, giving up, deciding Olimar is close enough to rejoin to the squad, and attempting to ford the approximately two full feet of water necessary to get to him. Other possible causes spring to mind (including simple emulator glitches), but there's a slight loss of red pikmin near the end of the day on your summary graph that would correspond neatly with that outcome.

Like with a lot of other things in Pikmin 1, the way Pikmin determine whether they're on-duty or when to rejoin your squad is slightly buggy and rather ambiguous. A lot of related bugs can crop from this buggy behavior, from the harmless curiosity of having Pikmin in your active squad that aren't color-saturated, still glowing and greyish as if they were left alone, to the potentially frustrating and obstructive bug of having inactive Pikmin standing around who won't respond to whistling or available nearby jobs and who can only be reclaimed by physically walking into them. The latter can be ESPECIALLY nerve-wracking when it happens to yellow Pikmin carrying bomb-rocks.

Also, I think the way the lifeguard behavior works is by just finding the nearest patch of solid ground and using that (unfortunately ignoring issues like cliffs and height differences), but I never extensively tested it. For all I know there's a navigation mesh on each stage to dictate what the best shore is for a given crisis and it just wasn't very well-tested.

E: Actually, Pikmin 1 has a lot of strange bugs and glitchy behavior, although we've been fortunate enough not to see most of the really bad ones. 'Really bad ones' include the Libra/Sagittarius (forget which it is) in the Forest Navel bouncing over a ledge and down into oblivion when you try to get it down from its perch. I've personally encountered that one a few times. Other candidates for blood-pressure-raising glitches include parts getting wedged up against walls so that it's nearly impossible to get enough Pikmin on to carry them (thankfully very rare), yellow Pikmin getting permanently distracted by bomb-rock canisters and refusing to acknowledge orders for a solid minute or more (mostly comes up with the can by the water in the Forest Navel), and Swooping Snitchbugs planting Pikmin in impossible places, because Snitchbugs weren't bad enough already. Snitchbugs appear to have some sort of logic to try to prevent them from actively loving you over, but it's still possible for them to plant Pikmin in places where they can't be retrieved, on occasion. The tree stumps of the Distant Springs seem to be a particular sticking point, with snitchbugs planting Pikmin that collide with tree roots or are on top of the stump's ledges where they can't be plucked, but I have also had Snitchbugs plant Pikmin UNDER THE GAME WORLD, never to be seen again except on radar.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 29, 2015

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
This music seems sufficiently cheerful. I like it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this but we started Pikmin 2 a few days ago and I'm in love with the quality of life changes so look forward to like two episodes of me just going "aaaaaaaa I love this!" in a few weeks!

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
I've been looking forward to that for weeks already, since I've never played Pikmin 1, only Pikmin 2, and just watching Pikmin 1 made me frustrated at the controls.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Faerie Fortune posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this but we started Pikmin 2 a few days ago and I'm in love with the quality of life changes so look forward to like two episodes of me just going "aaaaaaaa I love this!" in a few weeks!

Just wait until Pikmin 3.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
That random drowning was the red Pikmin that were stuck on the wrong side of the bomb rock wall. They were never dismissed from the party, so they were trying to get to Olimar across the water. One more thing that was improved in Pikmin 2: if Pikmin get lost or stuck on walls, they will automatically dismiss themselves.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Pikmin will dismiss themselves in the first game if they're sufficiently far away, I believe, but as I recall it's a significantly improved feature in later games at any rate.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 26 - We Need Sacrifices

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I like how you just don't care about the pikmin anymore.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Way to... live up to Moltke, Brusilov, and Haig?

I kid, you'll probably have it on round two, but goodness that was an expensive recon mission. And, given that you mentioned Pikmin 2, i assume that you're done with this one by now, which makes me a little sad that you never tried out the patented 'small glitch to throw very many pikmans quite rapidly'. It would have come in handy a few times, but i think it doesn't work nearly as well in later games, if at all.

Also, i'm working on a snappier name.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well Fae, this is you now:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ahhh, finally. This guy is an absolute dick to do if you're trying to get through with no deaths. It's all down to timing. Not too bad if you sacrifice, though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm proud of her for showing me I was a fool for thinking the worst when gnome pointed out the bomb rocks. I thought the casualties would be enormous.

...well they were, but it wasn't self inflicted. Just down to keeping most of the Pikmin out of the range of that jerk's tongue.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The final boss is interesting in that they're very, very formulaic. The Emperor Bulblax demands some precision and coordination to deal with him efficiently enough to win in the time allotted, but in spite of his size, chuft, and lethality, he's probably one of the less aggressive or threatening bosses in the game; like his level, he's more of a graduation test in the game than some desperate, twitchy, tooth-and-nail struggle. He won't (normally) leave his little arena, so it's just a matter of coordinating your efforts well enough to take him out.

Also, as mentioned before (though I think I redacted it due to misinterpretation), critters have some sort of weird damage resistance against Pikmin hitting them all in one spot. You can do insane amounts of damage to the Emperor in one stunned period if you manage to rapid-fire fling Pikmin all over different areas of his face; I think it may be possible to do more than a third of his life bar in damage at a go. Cannon beetles can even be one-cycled this way if memory serves, but only just barely, and it's fairly difficult to coordinate moving both sticks, keep a lock on your target, and mash A all at the same time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The final boss is interesting in that they're very, very formulaic. The Emperor Bulblax demands some precision and coordination to deal with him efficiently enough to win in the time allotted, but in spite of his size, chuft, and lethality, he's probably one of the less aggressive or threatening bosses in the game; like his level, he's more of a graduation test in the game than some desperate, twitchy, tooth-and-nail struggle. He won't (normally) leave his little arena, so it's just a matter of coordinating your efforts well enough to take him out.

Also, as mentioned before (though I think I redacted it due to misinterpretation), critters have some sort of weird damage resistance against Pikmin hitting them all in one spot. You can do insane amounts of damage to the Emperor in one stunned period if you manage to rapid-fire fling Pikmin all over different areas of his face; I think it may be possible to do more than a third of his life bar in damage at a go. Cannon beetles can even be one-cycled this way if memory serves, but only just barely, and it's fairly difficult to coordinate moving both sticks, keep a lock on your target, and mash A all at the same time.

I don't know how the hell the guy tapped A so fast, but the speedrun I watched one cycled the Emperor Bulbax.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't know how the hell the guy tapped A so fast, but the speedrun I watched one cycled the Emperor Bulbax.

A trick that I didn't remember in this most recent video is that feeding more bombs stuns the Bulblax for longer, so if you have him eat 20 bombs at once and then just shove pikmin all over with good button taps, a one cycle kill is absolutely possible. It's very difficult but very possible.

Killing him in one or two cycles is absolutely crucial for beating the Final Trial in a single day, too, because otherwise there's no way to have the time to do all the trials, kill Bulblax, and then bring the final part back to your ship.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

FoolyCharged posted:

They were actually cycling the c-stick in a tight circle around olimar. It's a trick that works in all the games. You're limited in how you throw pikmin by two things, how fast you can mash A, and more importantly, how quickly pikmin get to you when throwing them.

By keeping them all clumped up right inside olimar's hitbox you only need to worry about mashing A as fast as possible.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

gnome7 posted:

A trick that I didn't remember in this most recent video is that feeding more bombs stuns the Bulblax for longer, so if you have him eat 20 bombs at once and then just shove pikmin all over with good button taps, a one cycle kill is absolutely possible. It's very difficult but very possible.

Killing him in one or two cycles is absolutely crucial for beating the Final Trial in a single day, too, because otherwise there's no way to have the time to do all the trials, kill Bulblax, and then bring the final part back to your ship.

I did it in four cycles with no deaths, feeding him two bombs at a time. It feels like adding more bombs has diminishing returns, so I decided to just go with base-ish stun length. Still did the whole area in a day.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Doing the last level in a day is not all that unreasonable once you've had a LOT of practice with the game, but it requires great precision and a lot of multi-tasking. It's also somewhat hard to do without deaths, not because of Emperor Bulblax, but rather the water hazards you're forced to cart reds and yellows around. Leaving them unsupervised while pushing the box can sometimes result in them ending up in the drink, for instance, either because they think they're in your squad and rush into the water or erroneously fall in around the end of the box-pushing animation. Once in a blue moon a Pikmin will phase under a bridge mid-construction too, which is virtually guaranteed to be lethal if you're not using blues.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Update will be slightly late (posted tomorrow instead of today most likely) because I am recovering from a caramel-related incident that ended with me getting minor burns on 60% of my hand.

Don't gently caress with molten chocolate, kids

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh no! That sounds horrible! But is it also horrible that I'm kinda wanna know the story behind that? I hope you're doing OK, Fae.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Owch :(. Get well soon.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Faerie Fortune posted:

Update will be slightly late (posted tomorrow instead of today most likely) because I am recovering from a caramel-related incident that ended with me getting minor burns on 60% of my hand.

Did you underestimate the power of caramel?

Never underestimate the power of caramel.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gotta hand it to ya fae, if you're gonna gently caress yourself up that's a sweet way to do it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Faerie Fortune posted:

The thread title was a prophesy!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Bruceski posted:

The thread title was a prophesy!

Now I don't believe in omens, but maybe Fae should consider wearing eye protection from now on. :ohdear:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Oh no! That sounds horrible! But is it also horrible that I'm kinda wanna know the story behind that? I hope you're doing OK, Fae.

I don't know why I wrote chocolate in the post, I meant sugar. But basically I was making caramel, was whisking it like you're supposed to, threw in the butter and it bubbled up like crazy, so much that I didn't have time to take out my hand before it got me, and I burnt the tips of all my fingers except my thumb, and like half of my palm on the left side.

FoolyCharged posted:

Gotta hand it to ya fae, if you're gonna gently caress yourself up that's a sweet way to do it.

Never let it be said that I don't put effort into making everything I do great!

Seriously though, please be careful with molten sugar, friends! Turns out its really hot :eng101:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its better than loving up your hand with sausage oil

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Well, that sucks. :ohdear: Get better soon. Pity you couldn't have sent red pikmin to do this for you.

Though that was a liquid, so... blue? Red-blue? Purple?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Was there no one there to whistle fervently at you until the danger went away?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Maybe Fae should get her girlfriend a whistle in return for the amiibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Faerie Fortune posted:

I don't know why I wrote chocolate in the post, I meant sugar. But basically I was making caramel, was whisking it like you're supposed to, threw in the butter and it bubbled up like crazy, so much that I didn't have time to take out my hand before it got me, and I burnt the tips of all my fingers except my thumb, and like half of my palm on the left side.

Burns are always really nasty. I hope it doesn't bother you too much.

• Locked thread