Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
namechange for the bb venice

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/24/blackberry-priv-venice-wallpaper-download/

now the blackberry priv

priv

priv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
more like privvy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
'priv' sounds like some fuckboy who would ask you to come along and get a bit of cheeky nandos with the lads

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

this is blackberry privilege

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

this is blackberry privilege
no one is going to check their bb privilege

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
blackberry privilege is not having to use a loving blackberrry

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
in an invention-of-penicillin level stroke of brilliance, blackberry have waited until the new iphone launch day to properly confirm that they're doing an andriod

quote:

BlackBerry on Friday confirmed its plans to launch an Android-based handset even as the company reported financial results below what analysts were expecting.

The company said its latest quarterly loss, excluding certain items, was 13 cents per share on revenue of about $490 million. Analysts had been expecting a per-share loss of about 9 cents, on revenue closer to $600 million.

The upcoming Android phone, dubbed Priv, will have a slide-out keyboard and “combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform,” CEO John Chen said in a statement. Priv is due out at the end of 2015, BlackBerry said, adding that it remains committed to its own BlackBerry 10 OS, which is slated to get a software update in March with further security and privacy enhancements.

“We are focused on making faster progress to achieve profitability in our handset business,” Chen said. The company also announced plans earlier this month to acquire rival Good Technology for $425 million. “From these initiatives, we anticipate modest sequential revenue growth in each of the remaining quarters of fiscal 2016.”

BlackBerry noted that it did post $100 million in free cash flow last quarter and increased its cash and investment balance to $3.35 billion, up $37 million following $47 million it spent buying back its own shares. The company hopes to turn sustainably profitably by its fourth fiscal quarter, which runs through February.

Last month, Chen acknowledged that the company’s latest handhelds had not been a runaway success and said that BlackBerry needed phones that could run more apps. He stopped short of saying that future devices would run Google’s flavor of Android, however.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Waterloo must be the saddest of sad sack towns right now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they also basically admitted that bb10 phones aren't selling at all and implied they will stop making them

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Not really. Anyone who was laid off either left town, got a job with other tech companies here, or started their own company. The guys that started Kik were the ones who developed BBM and are valued at $1B because the Chinese company that makes WeChat invested in them.

If you are an engineer or developer you can make lots of money in this town.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

The guys that started Kik were the ones who developed BBM and are valued at $1B because the Chinese company that makes WeChat invested in them.

wait, are you telling me that kik was more than a weekend project for a college student?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

one of our guys at work is being sent on a bunch of bes courses to renew his existing old as gently caress bes certifications that he got back when people actually used it. this is because someone in sales has sniffed an opportunity to sell new bes to a client that still uses blackberry phones. nobody thinks that a company cheap enough to still be on blackberry is going to nickel and dime on costs of work.

im just glad i dont have to waste my life learning about bes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Management posted:

wait, are you telling me that kik was more than a weekend project for a college student?

Yep. After RIM fired them, they started their own company. RIM tried to sue them but nothing ever came of that.

Also the plant were the phones were assembled here is town is currently being demolished.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Kins posted:

“combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform,"

:lol:

good luck filling all those holes, bb. Google, the manufactures and the carriers can't fix the perpetual clusterfuck that is android, I'm sure as poo poo you will though!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

Yep. After RIM fired them, they started their own company. RIM tried to sue them but nothing ever came of that.

Also the plant were the phones were assembled here is town is currently being demolished.

i got a tour of the philip st plant when i was an intern there. it was siiiiick and this makes me sad.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i got a tour of the philip st plant when i was an intern there. it was siiiiick and this makes me sad.

Here it is as of 15 minutes ago.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is that a factory, like in a third world nation?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

Waterloo, Ontario. So, yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Their downtown area is the definition of "urban decay" (in Canadian terms. Still better than Detroit).

The Management posted:

Did you ever read the Detroit = Beirut thread? Yeah, K/W's cores are hosed, but their suburbs are still going fine. They'll come back, eventually.

I still find it weird that London's downtown is so much better off, given all the local auto manufacturing that's closed in the last 7 years.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One of the people at this party has a blackberry passport

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

One of the people at this party has a blackberry passport

man up and make a crack about tools not toys

in any other context this would be a dick move, but you're already posting from a party so it's not like you've anything else to lose

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

man up and make a crack about tools not toys

in any other context this would be a dick move, but you're already posting from a party so it's not like you've anything else to lose

it was a party with math phd students soooo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

• Processor - Qualcomm Snapdragon 808
  • RAM - 3GB
  • Storage - 32GB, expandable
  • Display - 5.4-Inch, 2560x1440, 537 ppi
  • Camera - Rear: 18MP, Fast Focus, OIS, 4K video capable / Front: 5MP HD.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

sounds like a blas t

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

ah, 'nuff said.

remember how their only differentiating feature was good battery life? welp.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

ah, 'nuff said.

remember how their only differentiating feature was good battery life? welp.

rumors state that it will have a fucko enormous battery, in the android brute force tradition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9407783/blackberry-prvi-hands-on-john-chen
http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=713580

john chen demonstrates bby's new android phone without know what android is, is called, or how it works

on the plus side bby fans will find the device's performance comfortably in line with their previous blackberry experience

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the fact they are still trying to treat their capacitive keyboard like a mouse says a lot about how they have no loving idea what they are doing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

gruberpostin':

chen doing a bad job of showing off the priv

1) he insists it's priv = privacy. the reporter replies are you sure it isn't privilege? he squirms and says its both
2) "it runs google"
3) appears to have never used one before and the unit was not properly prepped to demo chrome
4) "it has the latest specs"
5) reporter: is this the phone that will bring back the users that abandoned bb for a different operating system?
"well, i think everyone loved bb10 but there's not enough apps. so if i could provide all the apps of bb10 that would be a smashing success"
"but this is the best that we could do"

it's like curb your enthusiasm level awkward

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

gruberpostin':

1) he insists it's priv = privacy. the reporter replies are you sure it isn't privilege? he squirms and says its both
2) "it runs google"
3) appears to have never used one before and the unit was not properly prepped to demo chrome
5) reporter: is this the phone that will bring back the users that abandoned bb for a different operating system?
"well, i think everyone loved bb10 but there's not enough apps. so if i could provide all the apps of bb10 that would be a smashing success"

At least he didn't say, THE Google

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

gruberpostin':

2) "it runs google"

motherfucker acting like it's the day of the science fair and he forgot all about it for the last 6 months so he dug out last year's project

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kenny Logins posted:

gruberpostin':

2) "it runs google"

BlackBerry: this is the best that we could do

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i think he was trying to say that bb10 was good but had no apps, but the new os has apps, and they did their best to merge those two strengths, but he contradicted himself twice in a row instead and sounded very resigned

all the while, not answering the question in the slightest

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

just learned that my wife's total bro of a cousin who used to proudly work for RIMM now works for Canadian tire

rip kevin

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol silly balls

quote:

Jim Balsillie, one of the architects of the global smartphone revolution, has issued a blistering call to arms to Canada’s emerging tech companies: If you don’t start working the halls of government to advance your interests, you will be outmanoeuvred by global tech giants and their powerful lobbying machines. And he’s offering to help set up an “innovation lobby” in response.

The former BlackBerry Ltd. co-chief executive officer has pushed his concerns for months that Canadian firms have to guard against becoming trampled by the likes of Google and Amazon as they grow. But his message finally resonated last week when he spoke to about 40 leaders of many of Canada’s most promising tech companies, including Shopify, Hootsuite, Vision Critical, D2L, Wattpad and Vidyard. The meeting, hosted last Tuesday by OMERS Ventures at Toronto’s Drake Hotel, has been the talk of the startup sector since.

In his talk and a subsequent editorial, Mr. Balsillie rejected conventionally held views that Canadian tech entrepreneurs can’t compete globally because they are too timid, complacent or lack leadership skills. Rather, he argued, global giants are far more effective at influencing the competitive dynamics of their sector. It is a marketplace shaped by “judges, legislators and agency heads” and “frequently based on aggressive lobbying by interested parties [which] are usually tech companies with broad swaths of intellectual property and strategies for capturing more wealth from them,” he wrote.

For example, transportation software company Uber has effectively lobbied municipal governments in the face of stiff opposition from taxi drivers, and subsequently had a hand in shaping policies that enable it to keep operating. Meanwhile, Mr. Balsillie pointed out that Google, Microsoft, Amazon and eBay lobbied Canadian officials more than once a week over the past two years on such topics as copyright law, broadcast policy and data protection. By contrast, Canada’s most promising tech startups, Shopify and Hootsuite, had no registered lobbying meetings.

“We have great entrepreneurs in Canada, but we don’t protect [them] like they do in the U.S.,” Mr. Balsillie said in an interview. “It’s part the government’s fault, and part the fault of entrepreneurs for not telling government” what they want. “The market for ideas is totally different than the market for tangible goods. It is created and kept alive only by active involvement by governments … by laws, courts and administrative processes. … If you’re the smartest entrepreneur with the greatest product, and if they change the standards, you’re out. If you own the standards, you win.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hey silly balls what you up to over there in canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXVUgRnJ22s

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jim Balsillie, one of the architects of the global smartphone revolution, :lol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jim Balsillie, one of the architects of the email pager revolution,

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

god forbid an ecommerce tools provider and a social media management company are not routinely lobbying the government and are successful based on the quality of their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
blackberry did legit architect the rise of the smartphone though:

- got carriers way more into to large subsidies in exchange for hella data ARPU
- got smartphones and MDM into the enterprise and govt
- made browsing at least tolerable (compared to wap lmao)

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 7, 2015

• Locked thread