Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Hurry the hell up with the core book, I want to run Exigent's Bizarre Adventure before 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, increasingly I think I'm waiting for Exigents so I can use the system for something else :toot:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

drunkencarp posted:

Hunting for the right paragraph / page number is a step that's already been completed; it's what Holden tweeted about having finished doing. As I understand it, he compiled a list of 342 page numbers which will (for some reason) take a week of work to copy into the draft document. Moving the numbers that have already been compiled into the document and replacing the XXs that are there now as placeholders: this is the step they say they are on.
It's also a feature of InDesign, and has been in every edition since at least CS3. If even one person on their team (and presumably their Layout Guru Of The Forty-Seven Passes is that person, minimum) has InDesign, that individual, or indeed anyone else capable of right-clicking and selecting "Create Cross-Reference" could have accomplished this task in one shot, rather than relying on manually-updated makework.

Just like indexing (it's Ctrl+I! It's Ctrl+ god drat I!), it could be done within the initial layout. Any movement of text as a result of layout changes or text would be accounted for in advance. Any outputs can be generated from a menu, wherever you want, whenever you want. Also, Eddy Webb confirmed that that's the software WW as a whole used for book layout in the past, so the technology exists. People know it's there. They just, don't.

Exalted: The story of not learning the lessons of the past, in order to repeat them in the present, rendering the future a vague and unknowable clusterfuck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It's also a feature of InDesign, and has been in every edition since at least CS3. If even one person on their team (and presumably their Layout Guru Of The Forty-Seven Passes is that person, minimum) has InDesign, that individual, or indeed anyone else capable of right-clicking and selecting "Create Cross-Reference" could have accomplished this task in one shot, rather than relying on manually-updated makework.

Just like indexing (it's Ctrl+I! It's Ctrl+ god drat I!), it could be done within the initial layout. Any movement of text as a result of layout changes or text would be accounted for in advance. Any outputs can be generated from a menu, wherever you want, whenever you want. Also, Eddy Webb confirmed that that's the software WW as a whole used for book layout in the past, so the technology exists. People know it's there. They just, don't.

Exalted: The story of not learning the lessons of the past, in order to repeat them in the present, rendering the future a vague and unknowable clusterfuck.

How would Maria be able to do this right-click without Holden first making the list to tell her what the cross-reference is supposed to link to?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Hurry the hell up with the core book, I want to run Exigent's Bizarre Adventure before 2020.

To be fair, the team is working on the final drafts for Arms of Chosen, The Realm, and Dragonblooded. They'll probably be done in mid October (and out by December/Jan) preventing this mess this bad from happening again in this line.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

To be fair, the team is working on the final drafts for Arms of Chosen, The Realm, and Dragonblooded. They'll probably be done in mid October (and out by December/Jan) preventing this mess this bad from happening again in this line.

If not, then I can be confident that they'll be leaked online early.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NutritiousSnack posted:

??? What?

I knew they were working on their loving Book O' Swords and Objects to Use The Craft Minigame For, but they've actually nearly gotten the second book and setting tome together?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

??? What?

I knew they were working on their loving Book O' Swords and Objects to Use The Craft Minigame For, but they've actually nearly gotten the second book and setting tome together?

Apparently, according to those weekly updates, yeah. It took that long.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I am really confused why the next product wasn't Exigents, tbh. When we'll be waiting ages for the other splats, "make your own splat" seems the obvious book to release.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

spectralent posted:

I am really confused why the next product wasn't Exigents, tbh. When we'll be waiting ages for the other splats, "make your own splat" seems the obvious book to release.
Eh DBs make sense, they're probably right behind Solars for "most frequently used in actual games of Exalted." I would not be shocked if the NEXT one was Exigents, as much as I want to visit the Skull Dimension.

e: Also, I had no idea they were working on the DB book beyond "some drafting because we're here." I had figured that'd be its own kickstarter.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Rand Brittain posted:

How would Maria be able to do this right-click without Holden first making the list to tell her what the cross-reference is supposed to link to?
When he's doing his first pass on the text itself, assuming he's doing it digitally in some fashion, presumably Holden (or any other content person) could be marking terms with some sort of indicator (maybe you make them underline+italic or some other weird combo because you can then search-by-format in InDesign to make sure you don't miss any + they're easy to spot in the first place), then when Maria loads the content into InDesign (because again, I'm assuming their workflow would originate in either Word or a Google doc or something less resource-intensive for the earliest-of-passes than InDesign itself), she just marks it, either for cross-refs or indexing or both. Then when the text is formatted and flowed correctly, you've got all your references, every time.

Basically Maria would be able to do it in any reality outside of one where the contents of the book appear ex nihilo on her hard drive.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Nessus posted:

Eh DBs make sense, they're probably right behind Solars for "most frequently used in actual games of Exalted." I would not be shocked if the NEXT one was Exigents, as much as I want to visit the Skull Dimension.

e: Also, I had no idea they were working on the DB book beyond "some drafting because we're here." I had figured that'd be its own kickstarter.

We were told that 3e was mostly done before it turned out it wasn't, so maybe this time they're trying to actually get it mostly done?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

We were told that 3e was mostly done before it turned out it wasn't, so maybe this time they're trying to actually get it mostly done?

It was more like they scrapped a lot of what they wrote because playtesters didn't like it, IIRC.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Is everyone excited to celebrate Exalted 3rd's second anniversary since the original expected release date? :toot:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Bedlamdan posted:

It was more like they scrapped a lot of what they wrote because playtesters didn't like it, IIRC.

I'd believe that but didn't they say they weren't running playtests? Or was that a thing they stopped doing after the leak? It's been so long, I forget.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
If I'm remembering correctly external play testing didn't start until after they scrapped their first attempt.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can't wait for Exalted to come out so my group can tell me they won't play it until their favorite splat is released. I'm looking forward to starting a game sometime around 2020.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Rand Brittain posted:

Most publishing software can add non-printable tags into text (e.g. [label: flurries]. Then when writing instead of a dummy "Page XX" you should be able to put [link: flurries] and have the software automatically insert the page reference, skipping this extra step they're on now. Plus as a hyperlink if it's a pdf. Almost everybody else can manage this.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Talkie Toaster posted:

Most publishing software can add non-printable tags into text (e.g. [label: flurries]. Then when writing instead of a dummy "Page XX" you should be able to put [link: flurries] and have the software automatically insert the page reference, skipping this extra step they're on now. Plus as a hyperlink if it's a pdf. Almost everybody else can manage this.

See the problem with this is that it needs to be done by the person who is writing while they are writing. Which means they need the software. Freelancers already barely get paid, do you really think OP hands out a license of InDesign to all their freelancers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NIV3K posted:

See the problem with this is that it needs to be done by the person who is writing while they are writing. Which means they need the software. Freelancers already barely get paid, do you really think OP hands out a license of InDesign to all their freelancers?
They could just require all freelancers to make use of InDesign or whatever for all projects and if they don't have the software or the money to buy it, well, maybe they should've thought of that. :smaug: :capitalism:

I have no idea how much an InDesign license costs but it might be a worthwhile investment to get SOMEONE a copy.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

NIV3K posted:

Can a writer type

quote:

XXSiderealsXX

instead of

quote:

Sidereals

for the instance of a word that they think would be useful to be indexed later?

If so: They don't need any software beyond Notepad and an internet browser (if you want to get real low-tech, they could use Notepad or Notes and then a thumb drive then mail it to their layout person later). You just say "Hello, layout person! I indicated all the index/cross-reference friendly items XXas followsXX. Thanks!" and then your layout person does a Find -> XX (and lord knows everyone working on this project knows how to type or locate XX by now), selects the text, tags it, done.

Nessus posted:

They could just require all freelancers to make use of InDesign or whatever for all projects and if they don't have the software or the money to buy it, well, maybe they should've thought of that. :smaug: :capitalism:

I have no idea how much an InDesign license costs but it might be a worthwhile investment to get SOMEONE a copy.
You can also get a 30-day free trial for InDesign, and indeed all Adobe products, if you're willing to furnish an email address. If they must.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

spectralent posted:

Nessus posted:

The original schedule called for Exigents to be right after Dragon Blooded book, so we might see it Spring or Summer. Dragonblooded came first because they are the most common antagonist and second most common protagonist after Solars. Exigents will be the filler until the devs can think of what to do with the other lines and because their premise is extremely cool.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

NIV3K posted:

Word, OpenOffice and (of course) LaTeX can do it. If there aren't tools to convert between formats I'd be very surprised. Or as has been said, use pseudo-tags someone else can find-replace at the least.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

The original schedule called for Exigents to be right after Dragon Blooded book, so we might see it Spring or Summer. Dragonblooded came first because they are the most common antagonist and second most common protagonist after Solars. Exigents will be the filler until the devs can think of what to do with the other lines and because their premise is extremely cool.

I don't think Exigents are all that awesome as their own thing; I think other classes of heroic whatever are cool but forcing them all to be exalts is a bit limiting, IMO.

That said if it comes with make-your-own-powers stuff it'll be useful for reskinning Exalted.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

spectralent posted:

I don't think Exigents are all that awesome as their own thing; I think other classes of heroic whatever are cool but forcing them all to be exalts is a bit limiting, IMO.

That said if it comes with make-your-own-powers stuff it'll be useful for reskinning Exalted.

They'll be extremely useful to homebrew stuff like Gods and Elemental honestly.

I thought people liked that concept though?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

drunkencarp posted:

Hunting for the right paragraph / page number is a step that's already been completed; it's what Holden tweeted about having finished doing. As I understand it, he compiled a list of 342 page numbers which will (for some reason) take a week of work to copy into the draft document. Moving the numbers that have already been compiled into the document and replacing the XXs that are there now as placeholders: this is the step they say they are on.

"For some reason."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

They'll be extremely useful to homebrew stuff like Gods and Elemental honestly.

I thought people liked that concept though?
I think it's a good Exalted concept, the problem is that my interest in Exalted has waned very considerably during this interminable period of waiting, and the prospect of my own favored splats getting pushed back in large part dims my enthusiasm yet further.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The hosed up thing about all this is how many people do not have Solars as their favorite splat by default

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
3 of my players want Lunars are not too happy that their super powered furfags aren't available yet.

Why won't CP let them yiff?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

The hosed up thing about all this is how many people do not have Solars as their favorite splat by default

Maybe I'm boring, but Solars and Infernals (the Ink Monkey/fan version) were always my favorite with Dragon Blooded and Alchemicals being a near second (and Sids and Abys just being cool antagonists and NPCs to throw out there)

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dragon Blooded are cool because they make interesting antagonist to Solar, and when playing as them you get to see a very different version of creation and understand their motivations.

It's the exact opposite feel than Solars, too. As DB you are a powerful hero fighting against gods and monsters, trying to mantain the status quo in a pseudo Roman empire while facing overwhelming odds. As a Solar you're the monster born back into the world to destroy it and rebuild it to your liking.

I also like DBs a lot more than Solars to introduce people to the setting. It's a lot easier to hold their hand when they are part of the system instead of an outsider working against it.

Besides elemental abilities are cool as gently caress and you don't go around summoning flying exploding golden raptors that burst into butterflies made of knives.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Solar's have the Superman power set which I find pretty boring. Elemental Powers, Shapeshifting and Reality Warping are all far more interesting. I need to be the most special of snowflakes thanks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

There is probably a Charm somewhere that makes people outside of the game love Solars like they were their parents

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

3 of my players want Lunars are not too happy that their super powered furfags aren't available yet.

Why won't CP let them yiff?

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Dragon Blooded are cool because they make interesting antagonist to Solar, and when playing as them you get to see a very different version of creation and understand their motivations.

It's the exact opposite feel than Solars, too. As DB you are a powerful hero fighting against gods and monsters, trying to mantain the status quo in a pseudo Roman empire while facing overwhelming odds. As a Solar you're the monster born back into the world to destroy it and rebuild it to your liking.

I also like DBs a lot more than Solars to introduce people to the setting. It's a lot easier to hold their hand when they are part of the system instead of an outsider working against it.

Besides elemental abilities are cool as gently caress and you don't go around summoning flying exploding golden raptors that burst into butterflies made of knives.

Fans posted:

Solar's have the Superman power set which I find pretty boring. Elemental Powers, Shapeshifting and Reality Warping are all far more interesting. I need to be the most special of snowflakes thanks.

Nessus posted:

There is probably a Charm somewhere that makes people outside of the game love Solars like they were their parents

Dogs. All of you, dogs.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bedlamdan posted:

Dogs. All of you, dogs.

No, that's Lunars. Pay attention, geez.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That's one thing I never understood about furries. Why would you pretend to be a dog when you could be something like a badass dinosaur?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Esser-Z posted:

That's one thing I never understood about furries. Why would you pretend to be a dog when you could be something like a badass dinosaur?

God they should at least choose something with useful evolutionary adaptations

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bedlamdan posted:

God they should at least choose something with useful evolutionary adaptations

Dogs seem to be doing a lot better than dinosaurs.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This is Exalted, you can gently caress dogs and dinosaurs to your heart's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Fans posted:

Dogs seem to be doing a lot better than dinosaurs.

Because right now their adaptations are "useful to humans"

• Locked thread