Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I enjoy the challenges and risks that FFXIV offers, including the escalating amount of risk/cost involved in over-melding gear. Yeah, I've had a 24% over-meld fail 13 times in a row, but that just makes it sweeter when a 19% chance works on the first go.

But some people always want to make the game easier and easier and easier.
Well, I'm against that. I'm not interested in playing a game where it's easy for anyone to achieve anything they want. That's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Chairman posted:

What rotation should I use to collect the adamantite ore with high enough collectability to buy the mining counterfoil? How much perception should I have to do it successfully?

The bottom rotation should do it (or the one labeled counterfoil). I glanced at your gear the other day when I was also doing adamantite and since you're in all hq 60 gear you should be fine.

Edit: This thread sure has a lot of people who have cleared A4s. Because if you haven't then you haven't beaten the game and can't say you're bored :colbert:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Holyshoot posted:

The bottom rotation should do it (or the one labeled counterfoil). I glanced at your gear the other day when I was also doing adamantite and since you're in all hq 60 gear you should be fine.

Edit: This thread sure has a lot of people who have cleared A4s. Because if you haven't then you haven't beaten the game and can't say you're bored :colbert:

Thanks.

Do you have any recommendations for how I should meld the gear, by the way?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Chairman posted:

Thanks.

Do you have any recommendations for how I should meld the gear, by the way?

http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-arr-dol-gathering-gear-guide-endgame-l50-maximum-materia-melds/

This is the guide I used. Skip to the bottom or the important part is this

quote:

Melding tips:

You need to reach at least 601 Gathering, 646 Perception and 600 GP (for miners and botanists at least). The unmelded stats on the specific list above, you’re gonna need:
27 Gathering, 75 Perception, and 3 GP. If we count the number of sure-melds, we have 18 100% Materia Slots.

15x Gatherers Guile III (+5 each, 75 total)
3x Gatherers Guerdon III (+5 Each, 15 total)
OVERMELDS FOLLOW (4 total)
2x Gatherers Guerdon III, 1x Gatherers Guerdon I.
1x Gatherers Grasp III.
Overall, if you’re a new guy – that aint so bad. Luckily if you have the old world BiS right side, this isn’t even needed – just cheaply meld the sure-slots for now.

You won't be able to do regional folklore stuff however with these melds. At least I can't one hit the node yet even with my red scrip chest.

Someone else more knowledgeable might want to chime in as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
645 gathering will uncover Folklore nodes in one hit, I'm pretty sure.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

645 gathering will uncover Folklore nodes in one hit, I'm pretty sure.

Ya I think this is correct. IIRC I wasn't one hitting them without food.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Technogeek posted:

So, my friend just messaged me complaining about how she had to carry the DPS in A1 normal and got upset, which is what inspired this (these) idea(s).

SE would implement a dummy in-game in an instance private zone only available to the player. It would parse the player if they're DPS and if they meet the threshold required, they would get a discount on their subscription, like a dollar or something. Anyone who fails to meet it doesn't incur a consequence. Their subscription will remain normal.

Now, the other idea I have is the same thing, except if they fail to meet the threshold required, they would get an additional 33% extra charge to their subscription fee. It'll be a learning tax. If they fail to meet it again during their second cycle, they'll get tacked again with an additional 33% tax off the base subrate. So basically, if they fail the first time, $20 monthly. If they fail again, $25 monthly and so on. This is assuming they pay $15 for their sub. fee.

I'll think of something for tanks and healers later. What do you think?

This would be an amazing thing to merc.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fishious posted:

This would be an amazing thing to merc.

This was unironically good until he talked about charging people for being bad.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I don't know a lot at all about this game in general, but I just bought it on the PS3 store for my ps3. I probably won't be getting ps4 for a while so that's why I went ahead and got it. I was getting really tired of WoW but kept craving an MMO, and my laptop is too lovely to run this game. I only bought the base game, ARR, however I will have the funds to upgrade to HW very soon, assuming I even need it just to get started.

My main question is, what do I need to know right now just to get started? I don't know much about this game, or playing it on a console at all. Right now it's downloading in the background, I know to roll a guy on Excalibur to get in with goons but that's about it. Should I play with the controller/keyboard for chatting? Anything else? Assume I'm stupid as hell about this. I probably won't even attempt to really play until Friday when I"m off, so I have a few days to get everything figured out. Anything helpful will be appreciated as playing WoW is my only experience with this sort of thing. Thanks.

Here is a webpage that tells you where to go and when to unlock stuff. A fair amount of it won't have an obvious breadcrumb quest so it's handy. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

In general; Get a combat class to 20 asap and get your mount. Once unlocked you can use it on every other class regardless of level.

Do all the quests in the major cities. They serve as a decent introduction to getting around towns, but mostly whenever SE adds new random things like seasonal events or new gameplay features they will stick that quest giver in a city. Having cleared them out makes finding these easier.

You unlock retainers at 17. Retainers are how you sell on the marketboard and also your bank. Until you get access to them, feel free to vendor most of the junk you pick up. It's all going to be low level crafting mats that you can just buy from a vendor if you decide to start crafting and they have no sell value. Don't vendor any equipment you spiritbond to 100%. Hold on to it until you learn about materia. You will also gain the ability to send them out on ventures. The common wisdom for your 2 retainer jobs is either doubling up on the same combat class that you plan to take to max level or doing 1 combat class and 1 fisher. Their level caps at the same level that you have in a class though so don't make one a fisher if you never plan to fish. You can switch their classes so don't sweat it too much if you end up making them a class you end up not liking.

A lot of people ask when they should level their sub-classes (the classes their main job pulls skills from). The quick answer to that is as soon as possible. The longer, lazier answer is that you really only need to get the class required to unlock your job quest to level 15. This is "good enough" until you hit 50 at which point not having critical cross-class skills like provoke, swiftcast, or blood for blood will out you as an obvious shitter.

You've played WoW so I am going to give you a heads up right now; this game is kinda really drat dull at low levels. The whole sub-30 experience is tailored towards people that have never played an mmo before (which was smart, that is their biggest demographic). You are going to get drip-fed abilities at an agonizing rate and the GCD is going to feel glacial and the story between 15 and 30 is the worst. It will all click eventually though, I sure as hell have no interest in going back now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

quote:

PS3

Most importantly, GET A SSD. Doesn't have to be expensive, didn't have to be huge, doesn't even have to be the latest generation. Spend about :40bux: to get one in the 64gb-128gb size range and replace your ps3 hard drive.

If you don't have the ssd, loading a dungeon can take literally over a minute; with it, you load just as fast as a stock ps4, sometimes even faster.

A huge problem on the stock ps3 is character (including npc/enemy) pop-in. If you're not running a ssd, crowded areas like popular fates literally won't load the enemies fast enough for you to be able to attack. Many lower-priority npcs in town won't even load at all. Moving from one zone to another takes forever.

Trust me, getting a cheap ssd (real ssd, not hybrid sshd or fast hdd) is the absolutely best thing you can do for this game

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

You've played WoW so I am going to give you a heads up right now; this game is kinda really drat dull at low levels. The whole sub-30 experience is tailored towards people that have never played an mmo before (which was smart, that is their biggest demographic). You are going to get drip-fed abilities at an agonizing rate and the GCD is going to feel glacial and the story between 15 and 30 is the worst. It will all click eventually though, I sure as hell have no interest in going back now.

This is exactly what is going with me right now. I thought it was just me, but I'm glad to hear there is some thought behind it.

As a lancer at level 17, I have one main ability I spam. There are a few more that I use, but right now it is agonizingly boring how slow the abilities that I actually use are coming in.

The one question I have is how close are all the dps classes? Is there one that sticks out as being the highest dps, or one that sticks out as being the easiest/hardest?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bahanahab posted:

The one question I have is how close are all the dps classes? Is there one that sticks out as being the highest dps, or one that sticks out as being the easiest/hardest?

the dps classes, generalized, are pretty close. melee will generally trump ranged on single target, ranged will trump melee on aoe, but neither is like "man sucks we brought a blm to this boss fight". bard and mch will never top meters unless you're playing with idiots because they're "support dps".

as for easiest/hardest, despite whiners drg is the easiest dps right now. and to play any other physical dps, you need drg at 34 anyways for invigorate and blood for blood

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

All the DPS are pretty comparable with the only real caveat being that Bard and Mechanist lag behind the rest in their DPS by design, due to the utility and support they bring to the party. You can safely just pick whatever job you like most and get into any content just fine. I've been on a hiatus for awhile so I'm not sure if I can answer "top DPS" in a strict numbers sense. As far as easiest goes, I'd say Bard and Ninja are both pretty simple to pick up. Bard works on a priority system of procs rather than a long, complex rotation and Ninja has very simple rotations that they weave ninjutsu between.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Technogeek posted:

So, my friend just messaged me complaining about how she had to carry the DPS in A1 normal and got upset, which is what inspired this (these) idea(s).

SE would implement a dummy in-game in an instance private zone only available to the player. It would parse the player if they're DPS and if they meet the threshold required, they would get a discount on their subscription, like a dollar or something. Anyone who fails to meet it doesn't incur a consequence. Their subscription will remain normal.

Now, the other idea I have is the same thing, except if they fail to meet the threshold required, they would get an additional 33% extra charge to their subscription fee. It'll be a learning tax. If they fail to meet it again during their second cycle, they'll get tacked again with an additional 33% tax off the base subrate. So basically, if they fail the first time, $20 monthly. If they fail again, $25 monthly and so on. This is assuming they pay $15 for their sub. fee.

I'll think of something for tanks and healers later. What do you think?

oh my god ahahahahahahha

If the rumors are true and they implement some kind of personal striking dummy I do think they should require hitting some baseline dps on it to queue for harder content as a given job in addition/lieu of item levels, but this should have no effect on your subscription rate.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bahanahab posted:

This is exactly what is going with me right now. I thought it was just me, but I'm glad to hear there is some thought behind it.

As a lancer at level 17, I have one main ability I spam. There are a few more that I use, but right now it is agonizingly boring how slow the abilities that I actually use are coming in.

Just a warning for you (as I made this mistake), if you buy Heavensward the only content you can actually do is gain exp past 50 until you clear the MSQ up to a certain point. As far as I can tell, so far, all the quests (including your job specific quests) are locked until you do that. And there is a lot of MSQ to do after you hit 50.

Granted when I finally unlock it I'll probably be like level 56 so that's kind of nice I guess.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Granted when I finally unlock it I'll probably be like level 56 so that's kind of nice I guess.

you'll be like 52, maybe, depending on how hard you blitz it and if you do daily roulettes in the meantime

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

So, I'm going to mention something TSW did that was worthwhile in this context. But before I do so, I'm going to add the following disclaimer:

1. TSW's endgame content was largely a steaming pile of garbage that was tuned badly or outright broken (I say this as someone who got their Karma Curio when it was still rather rare).
2. TSW's endgame class balance was pretty much a mess when it came to pure vs hybrid healers.
3. TSW in general was pretty broken.

However, in TSW to do Nightmares (think Savage, I guess?) you had to complete a trial for each role you wanted to fulfill. It wasn't ball busting, but it did require a basic understanding of how to properly fulfill your role in the endgame content to pass it. It obviously wasn't perfect, but WoW also added a similar thing with their Proving Ground system (1 man instance battles) gating off heroics in the later expansions. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for something like that to exist in FFXIV. But having an in-game dps meter or dps meter dummy (ideally one who could fire aoes at you or something) would probably be equally as beneficial.

That being said, it's pretty easy to carry pug Alex normal as a SCH, so people have that going for them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Failboattootoot posted:

You've played WoW so I am going to give you a heads up right now; this game is kinda really drat dull at low levels. The whole sub-30 experience is tailored towards people that have never played an mmo before (which was smart, that is their biggest demographic).

As someone who was part of this demographic this was a good idea. I did have fun being eased into it at the low levels.

Nowadays getting one of the 15 dungeons in LLDR is kind of dull but I can appreciate the gradual introduction at first.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failboattootoot posted:

In all fairness it's not that worse from leveling an alt in WoW, which I assume he as a seasoned WoW player did. We can all talk about how leveling in MMOs is easy but the class quest bosses from FFXIV are on a completely different spectrum than one-shotting bosses in Deadmines with an underleveled mage.

But yeah, I agree that it doesn't make it any less dull because you're still getting new abilities at a glacial pace and the gameplay isn't particularly compelling for a while.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

1-30 in FFXIV ARR is really drat dull if you have even the slightest amount of MMO background. I agree.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nuru posted:

So, I'm going to mention something TSW did that was worthwhile in this context. But before I do so, I'm going to add the following disclaimer:

1. TSW's endgame content was largely a steaming pile of garbage that was tuned badly or outright broken (I say this as someone who got their Karma Curio when it was still rather rare).
2. TSW's endgame class balance was pretty much a mess when it came to pure vs hybrid healers.
3. TSW in general was pretty broken.

However, in TSW to do Nightmares (think Savage, I guess?) you had to complete a trial for each role you wanted to fulfill. It wasn't ball busting, but it did require a basic understanding of how to properly fulfill your role in the endgame content to pass it. It obviously wasn't perfect, but WoW also added a similar thing with their Proving Ground system (1 man instance battles) gating off heroics in the later expansions. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for something like that to exist in FFXIV. But having an in-game dps meter or dps meter dummy (ideally one who could fire aoes at you or something) would probably be equally as beneficial.

That being said, it's pretty easy to carry pug Alex normal as a SCH, so people have that going for them.

I'm a tank using an assault rifle, I am also the healer for the group, TSW!

Elemental/pistols for life!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I'm a tank using an assault rifle, I am also the healer for the group, TSW!

Elemental/pistols for life!

I'm so sad leech became the meta because blood/ele was fun as balls.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Chairman posted:

What rotation should I use to collect the adamantite ore with high enough collectability to buy the mining counterfoil? How much perception should I have to do it successfully?

The white level 59/60 gear has enough perception to hit the cap on adamantite, no melds needed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sword_man.gif posted:

you'll be like 52, maybe, depending on how hard you blitz it and if you do daily roulettes in the meantime

I am 52.25 right now and am still doing quests to finalize the move to revenant's toll. I looked it up last night and I still have like 30+ MSQ to unlock my level 52 class quest (which I assume will unlock the other HW content as well?). I still do daily roulette and some beast tribe dailies every night when I play so that gives me like 1.5-3 hours to do MSQ stuff. Unless I want to do more hildy quests or something else entirely.

It's not the biggest deal but had I known about it I probably would not have bought the expansion yet and just focused more on doing other things still instead of feeling the need to blitz through the MSQ.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 29, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

WAR pvp gear: det/ss crit/ss right side where you can, left side probably as close to similar and the Bismarck Axe?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Coming from WoW this game has several things that are quite confusing at first. Just the transition from one system to another is going to take a while to get used to. So in the meantime I have some general questions.

1) Levelling up other classes. I hit the trial restriction (Level 20) on the primary class I like, and I've been trying out other classes in the meantime. Unfortunately I've run out of quests in several areas and been forced to rely on the hunting log and leves to level up without grinding mobs. I've already ran out of leves twice while doing this; how big of an issue does this become later on when I'm trying to get other classes to 50 or 60?

2) Dungeons and parties are a little confusing. I think it's mostly just the terminology that's getting me. Dungeons = Guildleves correct? Does doing a dungeon use up one of your allotted leves?

3) Thus far all gear I've got is from quest rewards and a couple halfhearted attempts at crafting. When I start doing dungeons, does gear drop from enemies? How do people generally gear up for endgame content?

4) What's a good website to go to to find out what cross-class skills are going to be vital for different jobs when I reach 50+?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm finally getting tired of EXDR. It's not that I hate the dungeons, I think they're good enough. But running the same two over and over and over is just too much now.

I'm trying not to burn myself out since I know that subsequent patches will just blow the roof off the old ilvl ceilings anyway. And I'm having fun doing daily roulettes and hunts for exp on alt jobs, at least.

Maybe I'll go back and finally finish that Apocalypse Zeta I've been putting off. :downsgun:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Leveling isn't a problem at all for other classes in the full version.

No, Guildeves and Dungeons are completely seperate. Dungeons don't cost a leve allowance.

The way dungeon's drop loot is that after every boss fight and the occasional major group of enemies, there's a treasure chest. It will have a piece of gear the party can roll on. If it's a piece of gear your particular class uses, you can roll "Need" on it for priority over the people who aren't a class that can use it roll "Greed."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Subscription rates should be inversely proportional to the position on the world DPS leaderboard. :colbert:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

4) What's a good website to go to to find out what cross-class skills are going to be vital for different jobs when I reach 50+?

lancer 34/marauder 26/pugilist 14 for physical, thaumaturge 26 for casters, gladiator 22 for tanks, conjurer 34 for healers

the skills being: blood for blood, invigorate, mercy stroke, internal release for the physicals, swiftcast for the casters, provoke for the tanks, and protect and stoneskin for the healers

there's some other useful skills scattered around but these are the ones you're basically expected to have

quote:

Unfortunately I've run out of quests in several areas and been forced to rely on the hunting log and leves to level up without grinding mobs. I've already ran out of leves twice while doing this; how big of an issue does this become later on when I'm trying to get other classes to 50 or 60?

do fates. they're the things with the pink icon on the map with a blue area around them. do ones relevant to your level, they're the quickest way and don't rely on a limited resource like leves do

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 29, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

1) This becomes less of an issue as you get farther into the game. Low Level Roulette is a fantastic source of EXP for lower jobs but otherwise running around maps doing FATEs while you wait for dungeon queues is the best experience gain. Also worth noting that any job below your highest level (in this case 20) will get an EXP boost.

2) Dungeons and guildleves are two different things. Think of guildleves more like training missions, they are there mostly just to teach new players basic concepts like dealing with multiple enemy encounters or how to handle special adds. I'm dumb and mixed up guildleves with guildhests. Guildleves can be okay exp but generally they are much better for gathering and crafting jobs than battle jobs. Dungeons are exactly what they sound like and they don't use leve allowances at all, so you can feel free to do them as much as you want.

3) Dungeons will drop gear from loot chests after each boss in a dungeon and and it uses the Need/Greed roll system. Gearing up for end game varies a lot depending on what part of end game you are at but generally it involves running dungeon or raid content and building up your ilvl.

4) The Gamer Escape Wiki is generally well up to date with the game and has a lot of info on whatever you could need. Generally speaking, you'll want all the cross class skills available to you but there are some cases where it's not incredibly necessary (Mantra from Monk for instance). Just ask around if you aren't sure.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 29, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IIRC mercy stroke is 26, but I'm probably wrong, also that list is correct.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

khy posted:

Coming from WoW this game has several things that are quite confusing at first. Just the transition from one system to another is going to take a while to get used to. So in the meantime I have some general questions.

1) Levelling up other classes. I hit the trial restriction (Level 20) on the primary class I like, and I've been trying out other classes in the meantime. Unfortunately I've run out of quests in several areas and been forced to rely on the hunting log and leves to level up without grinding mobs. I've already ran out of leves twice while doing this; how big of an issue does this become later on when I'm trying to get other classes to 50 or 60?

2) Dungeons and parties are a little confusing. I think it's mostly just the terminology that's getting me. Dungeons = Guildleves correct? Does doing a dungeon use up one of your allotted leves?

3) Thus far all gear I've got is from quest rewards and a couple halfhearted attempts at crafting. When I start doing dungeons, does gear drop from enemies? How do people generally gear up for endgame content?

Don't worry too much about leveling up other classes before you get to 50/60 on your first one. A lot of quality of life things like transportation methods and your personal chocobo unlock based on your progress through the main story, so you want to focus on that as much as possible. When you do get to secondary classes, you WILL run out of quests. The best method to level for them is FATEs and dungeons.

Guildleves are like repeatable quests. These are what consume your leve allowances, and you can do them solo or in a party.

Guildhests are like mini-dungeons that usually consist of a single fight and are meant to teach you something. You get a significant completion bonus the first time you do each one on each class.

Dungeons are dungeons. The big difference between this game and WOW is that dungeons don't unlock automatically when you reach the required level. They unlock from quests, and all of these quests are either part of the main story line, or unlock based on your progress in the main story line. The first dungeon is level 15, so if you're level 20 and haven't done it yet, you're way behind on the main story.

Gear drops from bosses in dungeons. No random gear drops from trash though.

http://xivdb.com/?skilltree has all the cross-class skills available for each class/job.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

IIRC mercy stroke is 26, but I'm probably wrong, also that list is correct.

whatever mercy stroke is like the least valuable thing from there

it is 26 tho, 22 is berserk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I am 52.25 right now and am still doing quests to finalize the move to revenant's toll. I looked it up last night and I still have like 30+ MSQ to unlock my level 52 class quest (which I assume will unlock the other HW content as well?). I still do daily roulette and some beast tribe dailies every night when I play so that gives me like 1.5-3 hours to do MSQ stuff. Unless I want to do more hildy quests or something else entirely.

It's not the biggest deal but had I known about it I probably would not have bought the expansion yet and just focused more on doing other things still instead of feeling the need to blitz through the MSQ.

No, buying the expansion was smart because you're leveling up while playing now instead of doing all of these quests and getting nothing out of it. I just came back the other day myself and bought the expansion pack right away. I am so far behind on the main story quests and apparently have a real long ways to go before I can access the expansion content. It's frustrating but its whatever.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah if you decide you want to go to heavensward for god's sake do it as soon as you reach 50 so you're not throwing away experience for nothing

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

khy posted:

Guildleves are a weird holdover from the Literal Only Content In 1.00, and are nice sources of quick xp but are limited. Mostly they are used now for levelling crafting and gathering classes, though they're not bad for quick boosts of xp if you have no interest in those. They are the only things that use up your leve allowances.

Guildhests (if you care about history, are a reworking of a 1.00 feature called Behest that worked totally differently and hardly resemble what they are now) are little sub-5 minute instances you do to teach you game basics that gives good xp bonuses the first time you do them with every class, as well as a daily roulette that is good xp for how quick they tend to be. You can do them as much as you want, but without the roulette or first time bonus, they're not too great of xp.

Dungeons are instances that unlock as you go through the story and do various sidequests*. They take between 20-40 minutes and generally have 2 minibosses and a final boss. They drop the best gear and whatever one is the highest level you can possibly do is generally the best xp/hr.

When you level your first class, you will mostly do the main story quest. If you like questing it's also a good time to do sidequests*, but if you prefer dungeons you can also just run dungeons whenever the main story is too high level for you to continue, and do FATEs while waiting for the dungeon queue or when you only have a few minutes. If you take your time and do daily roulettes, you'll mostly stay ahead of the story quest.

After your first class, you get a big boost to experience points from monster kills, roulettes, and FATEs, but not sidequests* on anything below your highest level. When I am doing that, I generally just do hunting log from 1-15 and guildhests at 10, and by the time I finish rank 2 of the hunting log I find I'm generally at 15 or really close to it (note that some of the final marks on rank 2 might be kind of difficult at a low level, be sure to do your class quests so you have a good weapon and dont be shy to ask for help.) At 15 you can run the dungeon Sastasha and at 16 you can do dungeon roulettes, and since I love dungeons, I mostly just go from there.

*There are sidequests meant for levelling, and there are sidequests that unlock various features of the game. Unfortunately at this time there isn't really a different marker for them, but generally you want to do any unlock sidequest as soon as you can, but xp/lore sidequests you can do or not at your leisure. You can see an outline of the important unlock sidequests here: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 29, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Buy Heavensward at the start so you can join the cool Au Ra club.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Suggestions for new players:
  • Guildhests are either part of this good xp for harder content In 1.00 and features Behest gear which drops from bosses in dungeons.

• Gear drops from 1-15 and generally (and most time you do them solo or whatever but with every class, you'll mostly just do hunting) FATEs, but if you're level for level, generally difficult at a low levelling or first time becomes largely useless and the game basics that might be shy.

• After your first time your leve allowances.

• Generally the bosses are little sub-5 minute instances on each classes in addition the story is too high level.

• Be sure to do theme park MMOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ntan1 posted:

Suggestions for new players:
  • Guildhests are either part of this good xp for harder content In 1.00 and features Behest gear which drops from bosses in dungeons.

• Gear drops from 1-15 and generally (and most time you do them solo or whatever but with every class, you'll mostly just do hunting) FATEs, but if you're level for level, generally difficult at a low levelling or first time becomes largely useless and the game basics that might be shy.

• After your first time your leve allowances.

• Generally the bosses are little sub-5 minute instances on each classes in addition the story is too high level.

• Be sure to do theme park MMOs
Reading your posts always makes me feel like I've lost the ability to comprehend language, so...mission accomplished! Thanks Markov!

• Locked thread