Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

Testing has found that camo is drat near worthless as it only really works when crouching (basically you get spotted while standing/crouching in daylight at 65m but if crouchwalking in the right camo it's 35m, everything else is unchanged). But as it turns out, in complete darkness guards can't actually see at all. If you're getting spotted at night it's because you're going into light or making a lot of noise so they whip out flashlights.
Its noticeably overcast. I wonder if moonlight changes that at all because I can almost swear I've been seen at night while silently creeping along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's pitch black and there are no lights even remotely near that particular location. Any amount of light probably adds to it, but guards outright cannot see unless there is some light. It's possible that clouds do have an effect on it, though I'm not sure how much of one. I'll test it with a forced Support Team weather clear.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I thought these were interesting interpretations of MGSV and how to relates to other metal gear games.

http://europeanextreme.tumblr.com/post/128801653764/tpp-analysis

http://www.giantbomb.com/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/3030-40796/forums/the-ultimate-ending-discussion-spoilers-1781915/?page=1

I also listened to that youtube personality superbunnyhop's video on the game. He should learn how to not sound like a drone while reading. He also goes on saying things like "how can these SILLY characters in MGS3 be EVIL later on?? I don't believe it!!" and "They don't explain anything!!!" So what I got out of his review is that he doesn't want to think for himself and wants Kojima to explain everything. Last time the fans demanded everything to be explain was MGS4 and look how that turned out. Plus the characters in metal gear aren't supposed to be cut and dry.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Nakar posted:

It's pitch black and there are no lights even remotely near that particular location. Any amount of light probably adds to it, but guards outright cannot see unless there is some light. It's possible that clouds do have an effect on it, though I'm not sure how much of one. I'll test it with a forced Support Team weather clear.

This is very much true. I actually thought I was cheating somehow because of how bad their vision is at night.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I'm really glad this game didn't end up like MGS4 where every Metal Gear character who ever existed shows up for some kind of pointless fanservice moment.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I thought these were interesting interpretations of MGSV and how to relates to other metal gear games.

http://www.giantbomb.com/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/3030-40796/forums/the-ultimate-ending-discussion-spoilers-1781915/?page=1

I also listened to that youtube personality superbunnyhop's video on the game. He should learn how to not sound like a drone while reading. He also goes on saying things like "how can these SILLY characters in MGS3 be EVIL later on?? I don't believe it!!" and "They don't explain anything!!!" So what I got out of his review is that he doesn't want to think for himself and wants Kojima to explain everything. Last time the fans demanded everything to be explain was MGS4 and look how that turned out. Plus the characters in metal gear aren't supposed to be cut and dry.

:lol: if you think turning MGS3 cast into villains was good writing.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

They're not supposed to be villians hence why nothing is cut and dry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr.Clark and Sigint are inarguably meant to be seen as evil after the "reveal" that they're evil patriots. Zero is now in a moral grey area.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
OK so here's an explicitly clear sky created by the Support Team, moonlight making the game visibly brighter, 10:30 PM, with Naked Gold camo (though no camo is "bad," I know for a fact Naked Gold isn't "good" on the surfaces I walk over).

They can't see poo poo without real lights (flashlights, electric lights, fires, spotlights, etc.) at night, period.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

They're not supposed to be villians hence why nothing is cut and dry.

Sure but was it well written?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Sure it was. It could have been better executed but "the villains are people who are fundamentally human and who simply fell" is actually perfectly thematic, especially in a game which portrays Big Boss himself as a doofy likable guy prior to him becoming Space Murderhitler.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

:captainpop: Ok I'll see myself out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Sure it was. It could have been better executed but "the villains are people who are fundamentally human and who simply fell" is actually perfectly thematic, especially in a game which portrays Big Boss himself as a doofy likable guy prior to him becoming Space Murderhitler.

This is only saying that the premise, correctly, is perfectly sound and that the content of MGS4's twist could have been better executed.

MGS4's handling of it is piss poor and without any kind of hint or set up for it in the game itself or in MGS3.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

That's because 90% of "video gamers" are stupid morons who cannot read or see anything that isn't completely literal and it gets worse each year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zero's turn from lovable British movie nut to some weird guy who not only wants to, but has the ability to control every bit of information in every single corner of the world, is by far worst part of any of the Metal Gear Games.

Hell, in 3 there is not even the slightest hint that he is let alone upset with The Boss dying, let alone irked enough to go out and take over the world. It absolutely is garbage writing.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Zero's turn from lovable British movie nut to some weird guy who not only wants to, but has the ability to control every bit of information in every single corner of the world, is by far worst part of any of the Metal Gear Games.

Hell, in 3 there is not even the slightest hint that he is let alone upset with The Boss dying, let alone irked enough to go out and take over the world. It absolutely is garbage writing.

Someone's feelin' some phantom pain.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm already a demon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The foreshadowing for Zero being a villain happens in a canonical game called Portable Ops.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

1) The motorcycle should have been an unlockable vehicle along with the leather jacket

2) I get that really cool ideas aren't always practical to implement, but they shouldn't have put anything about Battle Gear in the game if they couldn't make it drivable. Don't show me the hover tank in-game if the only place it can be used is some boring menu.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Raxivace posted:

The foreshadowing for Zero being a villain happens in a canonical game called Portable Ops.

lovely game or not, I don't think Portable Ops gets enough credit with how it set up a bunch of the franchise's characters.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SIGINT being a shifty motherfucker was confirmed when the MGS3 credits revealed he was the DARPA chief.

Para-Medic would totally make unwilling cyborgs in the name of science, also gene AIDS and vocal cord parasites.

EVA and Ocelot joined up to bone Big Boss (EVA technically succeeded!)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

SIGINT being a shifty motherfucker was confirmed when the MGS3 credits revealed he was the DARPA chief.

Para-Medic would totally make unwilling cyborgs in the name of science, also gene AIDS and vocal cord parasites.

EVA and Ocelot joined up to bone Big Boss (EVA technically succeeded!)

Didn't EVA and Ocelot not join up at all? They were actually from competing factions? Did I miss something big?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Snak posted:

Didn't EVA and Ocelot not join up at all? They were actually from competing factions? Did I miss something big?

EVA, Ocelot, Sigint, Paramedic, Zero, and Naked Snake all joined up to form The Patriots. They used the Philosopher's Legacy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Nakar posted:

Testing has found that camo is drat near worthless as it only really works when crouching (basically you get spotted while standing/crouching in daylight at 65m but if crouchwalking in the right camo it's 35m, everything else is unchanged). But as it turns out, in complete darkness guards can't actually see at all. If you're getting spotted at night it's because you're going into light or making a lot of noise so they whip out flashlights.

Let's just say I'm happy I didn't see this video until I'd finished the game. This also explains why NVGs never seemed to do anything for soldiers - I never got anywhere close enough for NVGs to kick in in the first place, even at night.

Basically they could've allowed the soldiers 20-30 meters of vision in the dark and my playing the game would not have changed at all. I operated on the assumption that was the case and never ran into a situation where that would've been disproven.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vic Boss posted:

EVA, Ocelot, Sigint, Paramedic, Zero, and Naked Snake all joined up to form The Patriots. They used the Philosopher's Legacy.

I forget when this is revealed. Doesn't Snake Eater end with EVA stealing the legacy for the Chinese? (But like, she fails because Ocelot already stole it, or something?)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The original six Patriots were Zero, SIGINT, Para-Medic, EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss. There was immediately a lot of tension between Zero and Big Boss because of disagreements on The Boss's will, and when Big Boss found out about Les Enfants Teribbles, he split, followed by Ocelot and EVA.

After Zanzibar Land and Big Boss was kept comatose by JD and the AIs, Ocelot and EVA teamed up to rescue him, which is basically the entire plot of the Solid Snake MGS games, culminating in 4 where they suceed.

Also, one touch that I liked about the MGS4 reveal is that the three support team members (Clark, Anderson, and Zero) were a faction while the three people on tbe ground during Snake Eater (EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss) were the others.

Really, if you think about it ALL 6 Patriots are villains, because in the end they're all trying to institute destructive ideologies to fulfill their vision of a perfect world. It's just that evil isn't always as obvious as you think it is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

OK so here's an explicitly clear sky created by the Support Team, moonlight making the game visibly brighter, 10:30 PM, with Naked Gold camo (though no camo is "bad," I know for a fact Naked Gold isn't "good" on the surfaces I walk over).

They can't see poo poo without real lights (flashlights, electric lights, fires, spotlights, etc.) at night, period.
I can't recreate this for the life of me, without fail I get pinged around 35m and the guy comes to investigate. Which outpost are you using so I can be sure to find whatever seemingly magic version of pitch black is needed for this? I tried approaching unalarmed checkpoints with a seemingly dark flank, I tried artificially darkening a checkpoint which put them into alert and might not count.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay but what I'm missing is when EVA comes back to BB? When does that happen? She leaves him at the end of Snake Eater, revealing that she was a spy all along. When does she come back to help found the Patriots?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Antti posted:

Let's just say I'm happy I didn't see this video until I'd finished the game. This also explains why NVGs never seemed to do anything for soldiers - I never got anywhere close enough for NVGs to kick in in the first place, even at night.

Basically they could've allowed the soldiers 20-30 meters of vision in the dark and my playing the game would not have changed at all. I operated on the assumption that was the case and never ran into a situation where that would've been disproven.
Playing by day is really the hard mode. Sneaking Suit at night makes you almost invisible if you avoid light and aren't sprinting around everywhere. Though D-Horse is also pretty OP for avoiding spotting since curious enemies won't investigate him as long as they can't see you on his back.

The spotting ranges by day seem to be as follows:
  • STANDING: ~65m. Doesn't matter how fast you're moving, they see walking the same as sprinting.
  • CROUCHING: ~65m if wearing the wrong camo, ~35m if wearing the right camo. Crouchwalking is the only place where camo really helps, but it does help a lot.
  • CRAWLING: ~20m. Camo is irrelevant. Sight cones also seem to be three-dimensional so enemies have worse peripheral vision if you're crawling and usually won't see you crawling up to them unless you're in front of them. Rolling doesn't make you more visible for some reason.
  • HEARING: Enemies seem to hear sprinting from ~15-20m, running from ~10-15m, and crouchwalking from ~5m. Walking/creeping or crawling are completely silent. Rolling is silent and nearly as fast as running. CQC is completely silent. Wearing a Sneaking Suit completely eliminates the sound of crouchwalking and roughly halves other sounds of running. Raising your weapon is not quite silent and will actually cause you to be heard even with a Sneaking Suit on.
  • NVG: According to the guide, NVG lets soldiers see as well at night as they do by day. Skulls and Quiet also see as well at night as by day.

zedprime posted:

I can't recreate this for the life of me, without fail I get pinged around 35m and the guy comes to investigate. Which outpost are you using so I can be sure to find whatever seemingly magic version of pitch black is needed for this? I tried approaching unalarmed checkpoints with a seemingly dark flank, I tried artificially darkening a checkpoint which put them into alert and might not count.
Da Shago Kallai, land NW of it at night and walk (this is important, walk at minimum speed) across the edge of the bridge right up to them. Make sure it's later than 6 PM; I used the Phantom Cigar until it was after 10:30.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Snak posted:

Okay but what I'm missing is when EVA comes back to BB? When does that happen? She leaves him at the end of Snake Eater, revealing that she was a spy all along. When does she come back to help found the Patriots?

She explains it in 4. Big Boss found her in Hanoi sometime after Snake Eater and recruited her into the Patriots. China exiled her because her copy of the legacy was a fake.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What I hate is how someone whose hat is poking up above to top of a crate can see you. YOU DON"T HAVE LINE OF SIGHT!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Story-wise it would have been better had Big Boss never actually met EVA again. It kind of cheapens her running off at the end of 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I dunno, I think he deserves more credit than that. Sure, he doesn't have a great radio voice, but his analysis and reviews are very well-considered. He's more than happy to think for himself (see his video on MGS2)--it's just that there wasn't a ton to go on.

My take on it is this:

The point with the "MGS3 support team becomes the Patriots" is that it didn't really feel earned. We went from them being the goofy sidekicks in MGS3 (with the revelation that SIGINT was the Darpa Chief, of course) to being world-changing, control-freak masterminds in MGS4, without anything really bridging that gap. It'd be one thing if we got a few hints that, say, Para-Medic was more than just a film-geek doctor in MGS3, but the truth is that Kojima probably had no idea they were the Patriots when he wrote MGS3. Peace Walker does nothing to bridge the gap, either, though MGSV's portrait of Zero in the tapes does a lot that helps (and I think Bunnyhop addresses that, if I remember correctly). It's not that I don't believe that the MGS3 support team could change enough to become the morally-bankrupt figures MGS4 painted them as, just that we're only ever told that it happened, and never even showed hints as to how they got there. It's unsatisfying.

To put it another way: expecting the player to connect the dots is fine (and may even be good) if there are more than two dots to connect.

Doesn't he also make the point that basically any revelation of the Patriots' identity in MGS4 was bound to be disappointing compared to the mystery set up in MGS2?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2015

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nakar posted:

Playing by day is really the hard mode. Sneaking Suit at night makes you almost invisible if you avoid light and aren't sprinting around everywhere. Though D-Horse is also pretty OP for avoiding spotting since curious enemies won't investigate him as long as they can't see you on his back.

The spotting ranges by day seem to be as follows:
  • STANDING: ~65m. Doesn't matter how fast you're moving, they see walking the same as sprinting.
  • CROUCHING: ~65m if wearing the wrong camo, ~35m if wearing the right camo. Crouchwalking is the only place where camo really helps, but it does help a lot.
  • CRAWLING: ~20m. Camo is irrelevant. Sight cones also seem to be three-dimensional so enemies have worse peripheral vision if you're crawling and usually won't see you crawling up to them unless you're in front of them. Rolling doesn't make you more visible for some reason.
  • HEARING: Enemies seem to hear sprinting from ~15-20m, running from ~10-15m, and crouchwalking from ~5m. Walking/creeping or crawling are completely silent. Rolling is silent and nearly as fast as running. CQC is completely silent. Wearing a Sneaking Suit completely eliminates the sound of crouchwalking and roughly halves other sounds of running. Raising your weapon is not quite silent and will actually cause you to be heard even with a Sneaking Suit on.
  • NVG: According to the guide, NVG lets soldiers see as well at night as they do by day. Skulls and Quiet also see as well at night as by day.

Da Shago Kallai, land NW of it at night and walk (this is important, walk at minimum speed) across the edge of the bridge right up to them. Make sure it's later than 6 PM; I used the Phantom Cigar until it was after 10:30.

This is a great post. Only thing I would add is that CQC isn't completely silent. Grabbing someone is silent, but guards can hear you throw other guards at short distances (10-15m).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

It'd be one thing if we got a few hints that, say, Para-Medic was more than just a film-geek doctor in MGS3,

There absolutely are. People remember her film geek conversations and forget the times she goes all mad doctor and talks about how great it would be to clone Snake HINTHINT.\

Harrow posted:

the truth is that Kojima probably had no idea they were the Patriots when he wrote MGS3.

This I don't buy. Setting it up so Ocelot killed SIGNIT is already a pretty clear idea that he intended that all along. I doubt he had MGS4 planned out from the start but I'm pretty sure he intended the MGS3 support team to be bigger characters in the long run.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 29, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sky Shadowing posted:

The original six Patriots were Zero, SIGINT, Para-Medic, EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss. There was immediately a lot of tension between Zero and Big Boss because of disagreements on The Boss's will, and when Big Boss found out about Les Enfants Teribbles, he split, followed by Ocelot and EVA.

After Zanzibar Land and Big Boss was kept comatose by JD and the AIs, Ocelot and EVA teamed up to rescue him, which is basically the entire plot of the Solid Snake MGS games, culminating in 4 where they suceed.

Also, one touch that I liked about the MGS4 reveal is that the three support team members (Clark, Anderson, and Zero) were a faction while the three people on tbe ground during Snake Eater (EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss) were the others.

Really, if you think about it ALL 6 Patriots are villains, because in the end they're all trying to institute destructive ideologies to fulfill their vision of a perfect world. It's just that evil isn't always as obvious as you think it is.

i dont think ocelot (and thus eva) really knew what became of big boss during mgs1, seems to be before the tanker incident and he kinda lucked out by getting possessed by liquid for real and then just getting a new arm post mgs2 and faking it all out to trick the ai's.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Shoren posted:

This is a great post. Only thing I would add is that CQC isn't completely silent. Grabbing someone is silent, but guards can hear you throw other guards at short distances (10-15m).
It'd be very odd if that were true because in the video I posted above the guard standing <5m from the other guard completely failed to hear a punch combo. Not saying throws are silent but it would be strange if throws weren't silent when grabs and the punch combo are.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Story-wise it would have been better had Big Boss never actually met EVA again. It kind of cheapens her running off at the end of 3.

I had no idea until this thread that they ever met again. It's pretty loving lame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There absolutely are. People remember her film geek conversations and forget the times she goes all mad doctor and talks about how great it would be to clone Snake HINTHINT.\

This I don't buy. Setting it up so Ocelot killed SIGNIT is already a pretty clear idea that he intended that all along. I doubt he had MGS4 planned out from the start but I'm pretty sure he intended the MGS3 support team to be bigger characters in the long run.

That's fair about Para-Medic. I remember when I played MGS3 and that conversation happened, I thought of it only as a wink-wink, nudge-nudge reference to the eventual clones, rather than a serious character beat.

I'm not sure I agree that Ocelot killing SIGINT necessarily points to SIGINT being one of the founders of the Patriots. I mean, we know now that's why Ocelot killed him, but up until MGS4 we didn't really know much about Ocelot's own involvement with the Patriots. In MGS2, the "Ocelot" personality seems to be on the Patriots' side, while the "Liquid" personality is the one that wants to take out the Patriots, so to connect the dots from "Ocelot killed SIGINT in MGS1" to "he was doing that to strike at the Patriots" seems like a leap until MGS4 happens.

It doesn't mean that Kojima didn't plan that--you're right about that--but I'm not sure it's a strong indication that he did, either. There are plenty of reasons Ocelot might want to kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

35m at midnight, with back equipment. 25m at 11PM with the back stuff unequipped. He flashes me, puts the flashlight away, and goes into reflex at 15m (10m if crouched) without any light assistance. Golden Snake, using mouse and keyboard to make sure I'm going dead slow.

Nakar posted:

It'd be very odd if that were true because in the video I posted above the guard standing <5m from the other guard completely failed to hear a punch combo. Not saying throws are silent but it would be strange if throws weren't silent when grabs and the punch combo are.
Throws are comically not silent, since punching is. You better be in range for sequential CQC or you better be far away from anyone else.

• Locked thread