Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Data can't get high he is a robot. loving loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Naked Now

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
sometimes i think aobut how the naked now prolly woulda owned bones as a later season episode, when everybody had real established characters and relationships they could gently caress with, instead of as literally the first non-pilot episode aired when we dont know anything about anyone

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That episode worked well to highlight what would become defining characteristics later on.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
How did Data, a robot, catch the "super horny, suicidally horny" space virus again? Like...I mean...how?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

poz-itrons

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TEAYCHES posted:

poz-itrons

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

How did Data, a robot, catch the "super horny, suicidally horny" space virus again? Like...I mean...how?

Dr. Soong likes his androids to be as human as possible. Another question would be why something like this only happened once, and more importantly, why Soong bothered to give him a robot penis and the programming to use it and not, say, the ability to speak with contractions.

The answer of course is that Gene spent the first couple years of Next Gen pulling his goalie until he was kicked upstairs.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

TEAYCHES posted:

poz-itrons

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Delsaber posted:

Dr. Soong likes his androids to be as human as possible. Another question would be why something like this only happened once, and more importantly, why Soong bothered to give him a robot penis and the programming to use it and not, say, the ability to speak with contractions.

The answer of course is that Gene spent the first couple years of Next Gen pulling his goalie until he was kicked upstairs.

Contractions aren't as important as loving when it comes to learning to be human. I'm sure the actual reason was Noonian going "Hm. Humanoid viabrators, would make hella industry."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone else think Cardassian ladies are sexxay?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cardassian ladies have blue spoons and neck ridges. Genetics or makeup?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

P-Mack posted:

The one that wanted O'Brien's miles was smokin'

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

skasion posted:

The one that wanted O'Brien's miles was smokin'

...and fertile.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

P-Mack posted:

All Cardassians are sexy. Even Enabran.

Especially Enabran.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
The Chief hates Cardies almost as much as Major Kira does.

loving spoonheads

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Mondian posted:

Cardassian ladies have blue spoons and neck ridges. Genetics or makeup?

Get bluer spoons and firmer ridges with this one weird trick!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Spoonheads is a really great slur.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Computer increase ambient THC levels by 420%

*bwee bweedeoop*

Unable to comply. Environmental controls require command authorization to deactivate safety protocols

gently caress

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delsaber posted:

He wasn't really kicked upstairs during TNG, he just got so frail that he couldn't really work any more.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I've never heard 'pulling his goalie' used as a euphemism for jerkin' it before

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Delsaber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHQTlTu8Yw

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He wasn't really kicked upstairs during TNG, he just got so frail that he couldn't really work any more.

Well, he was kinda kicked very upstairs soon enough.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
data not being able to use contractions while being able to do anything else is just lazy writing, but i prefer to think that soong- out of either the encouragement of personal development or sadism- deliberately programmed that inadequacy in to saddle him with an otherness, so he'd always strive to be human and always be indelibly marked as inhuman

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
the contractions seemed to be tied to emotions which is stupid as gently caress

lazy writing is really all it was as there's no logic behind it

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
In fact if he was imitating someone he could use them right? Like when he played characters in then holodeck. Mastering complex mathematics and strategies is easy. Can not becoming can't?

That's like splitting the atom.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Data used contractions all the time. I know he said he couldn't but he was obviously lying about it for attention or something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yY1KdQNodN0

Start at a minute in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

data not being able to use contractions while being able to do anything else is just lazy writing, but i prefer to think that soong- out of either the encouragement of personal development or sadism- deliberately programmed that inadequacy in to saddle him with an otherness, so he'd always strive to be human and always be indelibly marked as inhuman

They straight up say that it was deliberate, don't they? Lore could do contractions.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Ambrose Burnside posted:

which uhhhh which one is that. a friend wants to know, for a project

the one where he visits his estranged brother.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I don't know what use otherness is in a setting where everyone is perfectly accepting both of glittery fish people, and of Worf wanting to gently caress the poo poo out of all the glittery fish people.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Soong specifically said that Lore was too real and creeped people out. His solution to make Data less creepy was specifically to prevent him from using contractions. Also to make him not a psychopath, but mostly the contracting. That video is hilarious though, lol at 80s quality control.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Clark Nova posted:

I don't know what use otherness is in a setting where everyone is perfectly accepting both of glittery fish people, and of Worf wanting to gently caress the poo poo out of all the glittery fish people.

what a handsome creature
-worf, leaning over weird to hide he boner

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah that's a p funny youtube although I'm not sure the difference between an actor voicing "I'm" vs "I am" in a line of rapidly spoken technobabble is enough of a masterstroke iceburn checkmate to hold up half the goddamn video

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
most of those examples are from season one before they established that data can't talk in contractions

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
we've already surpassed star trek tech https://translate.google.com/#en/fr/i%27m%20gay

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
maybe data can't speak in contractions because if he tried he'd say "i percentage symbol twenty seven m afraid i can percentage symbol twenty-seven t do that captain." mind blown

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
dagnabbit, who tezzor'd all over this thread?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Maybe everyone that uses contractions is a psychopathic killbot.

Makes you think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Noonien Soong actually invested a second fingernail chip that would have allowed Data to artfully use double negatives but the Crystalline Entity ain't not havin' none of that.

• Locked thread