Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It doesn't seem too bad but I would really like to just subscribe to shows instead of downloading episodes manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I also highly recommend High and Mighty. The Taco Bell episode was disgusting but hilarious.

I signed up to start cross fit after his fitness episode, but I had to wait two weeks before the next beginner class. I ended up going to taco bell for an assortment of burritos and the crunchwrap supreme instead. The show is a success!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
And I'm doing a power hour!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I dumb, or does the Android version not save your username and password?

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

It appears not, but after logging in the first time I'm still able to access the premium content after hitting the skip button. Or maybe it was never locked to begin with. :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Guys. I'm catching up on Review Season 2 finally. God dammit. why did this take me so long to start it up again? Just too amazing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That last live Spontaneanation was such a mess but if you like Scott's character work it's a must-listen.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Guys. I'm catching up on Review Season 2 finally. God dammit. why did this take me so long to start it up again? Just too amazing.
"Wow you know, you never really hear that punching someone actually hurts you a lot too! This is fascinating, I can feel the pain arching up from my fist into my arm and it really spreads out acr-"

amazing start to the season

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Illinois Smith posted:

That last live Spontaneanation was such a mess but if you like Scott's character work it's a must-listen.

I was at that show and I was waiting for it to come out so I could listen and see if I missed something the first time around. Nope, still just as much of a mess.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I like how there's a show on WolfPop hosted by a woman named Deanne Rafael, whose voice sounds exactly like June Diane Raphael, and is also the only other person on Earth besides June who pronounces it "ray-fee-ul"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I like how there's a show on WolfPop hosted by a woman named Deanne Rafael, whose voice sounds exactly like June Diane Raphael, and is also the only other person on Earth besides June who pronounces it "ray-fee-ul"

You mean June's sister?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Spont improv has always been s little delightfully messy, but for the past few weeks it feels like they've had real trouble building momentum. I'm not sure why, I loved all the earlier ones but I feel like I haven't really enjoyed a whole episode since Death Valley. Is it just me and other people are still digging it or has the show actually shifted.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't feel like there's any consistency episode-to-episode, let alone early episodes vs. newer episodes. The show is a total mess, but for me it's an enjoyable mess - just some silliness and PFT having a good time. Though at the end of the day, I'd prefer the twoprov monoscene version of Spont, which would keep everything buttoned up a little bit more.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I get enough enjoyment out of the absolute mess that it almost inevitably turns into, because you can hear people struggling to move their view of the scene into whatever was just established. Times when an idea PFT has gets immediately subverted by someone else are some of the best times on the show. It's weird, but usually at least fun.

One thing I haven't been able to get into lately is I4H. I don't know what it is, but I seriously just can't even give it the time of day lately. I think the formula may have run its course for me. I guess the difference between PFT's absolute joy of doing improv vs Besser's grudging no-fun-zone is finally getting to me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I blame whoever pointed out that he asks people into his office a lot.
Here's a vid of the Hollywood Handbook LAPodfest epi which to my surprise is free. John Gemberling seems to be the first guest to honestly need the Popcorn Gallery explained to him.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Besser's habits have become noticeable to me, too, because of the posts on here. I also can no longer stand his old person opinions in every single show. I no longer care about the dull bands because they aren't as much of a problem as the ranting thing. This isn't the place for it, but how can people who have his view not see that they're being just as sensitive and defensive and emotional as the people they're criticizing?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

You mean June's sister?

Hahaha ok that makes sense now. The similarities in voice and pronunciation, not her parents giving June a middle name that's almost the same as their other daughter's first name.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Matt Besser and Matthew Robinson from "Get Up On This" should start a podcast called "Rich Middle-Aged White Guys Complaining About The Way Things Are And How Annoying Things Are"

Besser ain't got poo poo on how annoying Matt Robinson can be.

Hollywood Handbook continues to be the best podcast, the Bastard Executioner bit was beautiful.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I enjoy the interview portions of Spontaneanation, but for some reason I have a hard time following narrative scenes that are just audio. I couldn't get into Thrilling Adventure Hour either for similar reasons.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Here's a vid of the Hollywood Handbook LAPodfest epi which to my surprise is free. John Gemberling seems to be the first guest to honestly need the Popcorn Gallery explained to him.

This makes me wish Howl was just video versions of podcasts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's super frustrating that they don't seem to allow you to view the video on their Vimeo page itself. I just wanna subscribe to their channel and watch on my Apple TV in bed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

This makes me wish Howl was just video versions of podcasts

Too bad the VPN broadcasts failed hard, I loved them - seeing the CBB and I4H reactions and facial expressions really adds a lot. I just never knew when it was going to go live.

But why they didn't just copy the new Never Not Funny model is beyond me. Just toss every other episode behind a pay wall and make all of them video.

And hell, while they're at it, work with FXX or Adult Swim or whatever to put those broadcasts into an otherwise undesirable timeslot.

A boy can dream :allears:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 29, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I've occasionally prodded at Brett to keep investigate when 360 3D video, (or fancier stuff, better stuff like lightfield 360) is cheap and easy enough to have them just plonk a small camera like that on the seat of a "guest" and then you could just load up the podcast on an HMD and literally be a guest on a show.

I want that so bad. Was planning to make this early draft of the Earwolf studios look way nicer and then be able to pipe in mp3 files of any episode...but Howl kinda killed my interest and also work took a lot of free time away.
http://i.imgur.com/knrlhoV.gifv

Brett really likes the idea for what it's worth, but it's still too much of a hassle to edit and upload 360 video, plus the quality isn't quite there yet for hour long+ video.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also 360 degree video is only really fun for about a minute, then it becomes a hassle.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, the Spontaneanation improv scenes demand more careful attention than I'm willing to give. There's a lot of voices to keep track of, and the locations change, and there are flashbacks and flash forwards. If you zone out for a minute, you might never be able to catch up. CBB has the same problem whenever they do their big specials, like the Womptaculars, but normally they avoid it by bringing in the guests one or two at a time, and always keeping the scenes set in the recording studio.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I ate a whole roll of...quarters

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hahaha ok that makes sense now. The similarities in voice and pronunciation, not her parents giving June a middle name that's almost the same as their other daughter's first name.

Middle names don't matter, especially for girls since the expectation is they'll drop it when they get married. No sense working very hard on them.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ArtVandelay posted:

I ate a whole roll of...quarters

Still the best.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Middle names don't matter, especially for girls since the expectation is they'll drop it when they get married. No sense working very hard on them.

Which culture drops their middle names when they get married?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Not in America. We raise our women to cherish their middle names, the most important of names.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Today's I4H was pretty entertaining, but man alive, that audience member...how does someone learn to make those noises when laughing?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dislike it when this thread shits on Matt, because while I do recognize his faults and they are legitimate, my personality and sense of humor is very similar to his so I feel like you guys are picking on me :smith:

(i am not nearly that debate-y though)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I have listened to maybe 6 Hollywood Handbook episodes, with at least 2 being ones people said were great here, and I absolutely cannot get into it. I usually end up tuning out of it because it's so boring.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

mr.capps posted:

I dislike it when this thread shits on Matt, because while I do recognize his faults and they are legitimate, my personality and sense of humor is very similar to his so I feel like you guys are picking on me :smith:

I am not an improv snob like that one guy who posts here, but I think he's still really talented.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's really funny and talented and a fantastic member of the comedy community. That said, he's got a whole lot of room for improvement as an improviser and podcast host. Being one of the UCB4 doesn't excuse you from poor technique and stepping all over your fellow improvisers.

e: is it me? Am I the improv snob? :(

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 1, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Being very talented doesn't preclude you from being a stifling dick. I basically feel he'd be better if he weren't in charge.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

mr.capps posted:

I like Matt, too. I think he's funny and his crazy old man rantings are pretty funny, too.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Today's I4H was pretty entertaining, but man alive, that audience member...how does someone learn to make those noises when laughing?

hahaha for real, it was a so-so episode, but that guy absolutely ruined it

feedmyleg posted:

He's really funny and talented and a fantastic member of the comedy community. That said, he's got a whole lot of room for improvement as an improviser and podcast host. Being one of the UCB4 doesn't excuse you from poor technique and stepping all over your fellow improvisers.

e: is it me? Am I the improv snob? :(
To me, when he stomps all over someone, it is expressly because he's so high level and feels comfortable with doing it. Or he sees the obvious place the scene is going and tries to make it strange. The man is a drat jazz musician, playing the wrong notes on purpose.

It's nowhere near as inartful as when Scotty-2-hotty just poo poo all over his Spont scenes or is all meta about it, afraid to commit.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 1, 2015

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Shnooks posted:

I have listened to maybe 6 Hollywood Handbook episodes, with at least 2 being ones people said were great here, and I absolutely cannot get into it. I usually end up tuning out of it because it's so boring.

http://hollywoodhandbook.wikia.com/wiki/Ehh..._Wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Shnooks posted:

I had the same reaction at first when I tried it about 6 months ago, but recently I tried again with the Sinbad episode and I've been hooked ever since. Maybe give it some time and you'll come around to it like I did.