Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'd say keep a handy note of what are the motivations of the various NPC, so that when the PC inevitably offers B team a teamup to beat up the King you'll know how to react. Players never follow the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pththya-lyi posted:

Update on my Monsterhearts game:

We wrapped up the current plot line this past weekend, and it went great. The Vampire's player ended up sticking with the character for one more game, and gave her some great character moments. Meanwhile, the Witch desperately tried to find a way to stop the big bad without destroying the town, and the Infernal's player actually suggested the solution they ended up going with: sever the Infernal's connection to the entity. The player admitted that he was getting tired of playing the Infernal and wanted to switch to a different one, so we decided that was a fitting end for the character's arc. Long story short, the Witch and the Vampire used their abilities to get the Infernal into an electroshock machine and zap the evil out of him.

The game encourages you to end the "season" arc when a PC unlocks a certain number of advances and take a break before starting a new season. Technically the PCs aren't advanced enough mechanically, but we agreed this was a natural "season finale" and that we should end things where they stand now. When the second season starts, two players will completely change characters, while the third will have his character change classes ("skins," in Monsterhearts terms). Also, while the players are happy with my GMing, I want to have the chance to play as a PC, so we may rotate GM responsibility from session to session.

BTW, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to use McClucksky. The school was closed due to PC-caused problems anyway so it would have been hard to work him in. I do hope to use him in the future, perhaps in the second season. I plan to use him like "O'Malley the Anti-Drug Dog," a sample NPC from the excellent Monsters and Other Childish Things. He's also an anti-drug animal mascot, but he goes much farther than appearing at assemblies:

O'Malley the Anti-Drug Dog character description posted:

“Hey, kids! Don’t do drugs!” O’Malley is a guy in a suit who comes to your school and talks about drugs, vis-à-vis that they are bad. But once he arrives, he seems to hang around for a long time. Like, weeks.
You caught him poking around in your locker yesterday, and when you got mad he said, “Somebody with nothing to hide has nothing to fear from O’Malley the Anti-Drug Dog!” And he stared at you with those big glass eyes of his.
Last night you looked outside your house and he was standing on the sidewalk, just looking at your bedroom window. By the time you got outside, he was gone.

O’Malley the Anti-Drug Dog is a total cipher. He hands out “Bark at Drugs!” buttons. He talks in a bouncy, cartoony voice. And finding anything out about him is impossible—he’s a figure of menace, weirdness and confusion. He’s a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a giant dog costume. And if you tell your monster to eat him, it says, “Eat who? Nobody’s there.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That's actually where I got the idea, though I would have left out the spookiness for Mclucksky. I find the idea of supernatural entities at the (proverbial) mercy of mundane bullshit hilarious.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man, today's advice from Robin D Laws is the best GM advice ever.

Kick 'Em Out

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After a seven hour combat marathon, and possibly in a fit of hubris, my group agreed that sure, let's make our next 4E session centered around diplomacy, clever plans and avoiding combat. But all I know how to prepare is combat and dungeons.

The setup: The party has just defeated the evil necromancer that was responsible for the rise of the undead. Now all there is left to do is help their revolutionary buddies overthrow the evil regime backed by the thuggish militia. And quickly, too, because once word spreads that the undead are gone, the militiamen stationed at the kingdom's outskirts will return and then it's gonna be a crackdown.

Required elements - these are all my players' ideas, so I want to have as much as possible of this in there.
- Have a parade. News of the necromancer's defeat will spread either way, might as well make themselves known as the heroes who did it and enjoy the celebrity status, and make the regime react rather than act.
- Remove the militia commander from his position. Either by assassination or through politics.
- Free their friend, a wealthy supporter of the revolution, from prison.
- Dry out the militia's cash flow. A lot of them are mercenaries. They don't get paid, they don't fight.

But also: bonus required elements! Because we're making this our halloween session on top of everything else.
- Fancy dress party. Mostly because it seems like the sort of situation that can carry a session all on its own.
- Secretly the king is enthralled by a vampire. This ties in with a few other subplots we have going on. It's actually the vampire who really hates the revolutionaries.

So I'm thinking, start with the parade. It turns into a huge spontaneous party gathering in a public square. Oh no, the militia is getting ready to squash the "revolutionary riot" - better convince them to back off or beat them down. Have a nobleman approach the newly minted heroes and invite them to his fancy dress party in a few days. Now there's plenty of time for them to remove the commander, free their friend and steal the militia pay. Things come to a head on the eve of the party, and I'm not sure about this part but I'm thinking there's something they need to figure out (before midnight, when everyone unmasks) and at the end the vampire is somehow revealed. Maybe the vampire is preparing to enthrall all the nobles in one go to ensure a private army for herself?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Things come to a head on the eve of the party, and I'm not sure about this part but I'm thinking there's something they need to figure out (before midnight, when everyone unmasks) and at the end the vampire is somehow revealed. Maybe the vampire is preparing to enthrall all the nobles in one go to ensure a private army for herself?

How is vampirism spread in your setting? Drinking the blood of a vampire perhaps? Maybe that just turns the target into a thrall. Spiking the wine at the party for one big toast could be fun. If they find out in time they can try to find some reason to convince the nobles to leave or not to drink. Maybe they can replace the wine or find some way to break the enchantment. If not you can have them face off against a court full of noble thralls. That sounds like a blast. Especially if they have to incapacitate them without killing anyone.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

After a seven hour combat marathon, and possibly in a fit of hubris, my group agreed that sure, let's make our next 4E session centered around diplomacy, clever plans and avoiding combat. But all I know how to prepare is combat and dungeons.

The trick with this side of things is to give players a situation where there's no clear correct answer and make them choose anyway.

Like, they've taking down this necromancer. His apprentice has surrendered, but committed horrible atrocities under his guidance. What is more important to them, justice or mercy?

They're overthrowing an evil regime. What is it being replaced with? Who are they leaving in charge? What's wrong with them?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My Lovely Horse posted:

The setup: The party has just defeated the evil necromancer that was responsible for the rise of the undead. Now all there is left to do is help their revolutionary buddies overthrow the evil regime backed by the thuggish militia. And quickly, too, because once word spreads that the undead are gone, the militiamen stationed at the kingdom's outskirts will return and then it's gonna be a crackdown.

Required elements - these are all my players' ideas, so I want to have as much as possible of this in there.
- Have a parade. News of the necromancer's defeat will spread either way, might as well make themselves known as the heroes who did it and enjoy the celebrity status, and make the regime react rather than act.
- Remove the militia commander from his position. Either by assassination or through politics.
- Free their friend, a wealthy supporter of the revolution, from prison.
- Dry out the militia's cash flow. A lot of them are mercenaries. They don't get paid, they don't fight.

But also: bonus required elements! Because we're making this our halloween session on top of everything else.
- Fancy dress party. Mostly because it seems like the sort of situation that can carry a session all on its own.
- Secretly the king is enthralled by a vampire. This ties in with a few other subplots we have going on. It's actually the vampire who really hates the revolutionaries.

So I'm thinking, start with the parade. It turns into a huge spontaneous party gathering in a public square. Oh no, the militia is getting ready to squash the "revolutionary riot" - better convince them to back off or beat them down. Have a nobleman approach the newly minted heroes and invite them to his fancy dress party in a few days. Now there's plenty of time for them to remove the commander, free their friend and steal the militia pay. Things come to a head on the eve of the party, and I'm not sure about this part but I'm thinking there's something they need to figure out (before midnight, when everyone unmasks) and at the end the vampire is somehow revealed. Maybe the vampire is preparing to enthrall all the nobles in one go to ensure a private army for herself?

Make a big list of setting appropriate names, and 8-10 Things that can Happen. Drop them in as necessary.

If you do have a fight, just run it like Dungeon world.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Man, today's advice from Robin D Laws is the best GM advice ever.

Kick 'Em Out
If it is true that he actually ran The Mad Lands, Robin Laws might just be the best GM ever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whybird posted:

They're overthrowing an evil regime. What is it being replaced with? Who are they leaving in charge? What's wrong with them?
This is actually gonna be the conclusion of a long-running subplot centered around exactly that. They want the smart, moderate reformers in charge rather than the nutcases who are already polishing the guillotine blade. So naturally, anything that helps them will be the difficult option. Also, how moderate can you make the revolution before it isn't one anymore?

Come to think of it, this session is going to wrap up a lot of stuff. But we're going into the lengthy home stretch of the campaign, so probably a good thing.

sebmojo posted:

If you do have a fight, just run it like Dungeon world.
Yeah, I was thinking, if they do get into a fight, just have some quick rolls to see how well the fight goes, if they lose any resources, achieve a secondary goal, or whatever's at stake right then, but defeating the enemies is a foregone conclusion. But I'm gonna look into how Dungeon World actually does it. Maybe have one proper 4E battle against the vampire.

Lallander posted:

How is vampirism spread in your setting? Drinking the blood of a vampire perhaps? Maybe that just turns the target into a thrall.
It does now! That's a brilliant idea. Identify and convince the most powerful nobles, and also foil the vampire's plan and eventually confront her, all before the stroke of midnight, and at a noble party they're the epitome of fish out of water.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an idea for an adventure arc that I'm having a difficult time nailing down into characters and locations. Any of you guys wanna pitch something at me?

Aboleths and Dwarves
I have this idea that there exists some abandoned dwarf fortress somewhere which fell to ... something—which may or may not be relevant to the current adventure—some time ago. If we want it to be an actual dorf fort, then it was probably demons because adamantine. Whatever. This fortress once represented the height of dwarven civilization, but now is overrun by something. Again, probably demons because adamantine. For whatever reason, it fell and it's now an adventure site.

In fact, let's just go full :psydwarf:: it's overrun by demons because adamantine.

In addition to the rich repository of adamantine and other riches, the remains of which would easily fill out the party's wealth by level requirement for whatever level they are, the object of going there is to uncover the lore of magical metalwork and/or superior smithing. So the point becomes not only just fighting through the dungeon, but also piecing together from what remains of the literature and tools how the old-dwarfs did [whatever]. Part of the goal here is to come up with what this [whatever] is and why [someone] wants the party to go get it. Probably because [someone] is an evil vampire lich dragon demon who wants to destroy, enslave, and/or rule the world. Whatever.

In the course of investigation, the party will encounter either a survivor or an external researcher. I haven't decided which yet, or if it matters. Anyhow, this'll be some kind of wizard most likely, or other person with lots of knowledge about the fortress and how it fell. And in some way or another, this will be a link to aboleths and how they were secretly responsible for the fall of the fortress, or maybe the guy they encounter is a thrall of the aboleths whom are themselves interested in some secret buried in the ruins.

There's my vague story idea so far, friends. Help me flesh it out? Names and stats are a no-brainer that I can come up with myself. I'm mostly looking for relationships between people and places and things, and a way to connect them cohesively. Lore ideas also a plus.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nietzschean posted:

There's my vague story idea so far, friends. Help me flesh it out? Names and stats are a no-brainer that I can come up with myself. I'm mostly looking for relationships between people and places and things, and a way to connect them cohesively. Lore ideas also a plus.

The lord of the faeries (the horrible eldritch beings who gently caress with the mortal races and steal children for kicks kind) wants the secret of proper (dwarven) steelmaking so that they can keep it out of the hands of mortals because it's an even bigger weakness for them than cold iron (working with the metaphor of it representing mankind's taming of the wild places that previously held great danger to them during the industrial revolution.) He appears to the adventurers in the guise of an up and coming captain of industry looking for an edge over his rivals. The surviving researcher could be a member of a party he sent in prior to this one, who provides hints that their mutual employer may not be all he appears to be.

In this scenario, the Aboleths would have raided the fortress seeking the secrets of Dwarven metallurgy for their own purposes, possibly in preparation for some kind of campaign they're plotting against the fay. If the party manages to uncover this, they have to decide which side they hate more, or try to get out of the fortress while fighting off Aboleths, faeries and whatever dwarven defenses are still intact.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Adamantine isn't rare. It's actually fairly easy to get hold of the mixture of ores that you need to smelt it (it's an alloy, not a pure element). One of the necessary ingredients, however, is a soul. The metal you get isn't particularly stronger or harder or sharper than steel. But it is sentient.

The inhabitants of the fortress initially restricted its use to preserving their greatest heroes, so that they could serve their people even after death. Even this wasn't done lightly -- the dwarves recognised that eternal life was a big deal -- but it became more and more common, until pretty much every weapon and armour possessed by the fortress was crafted of adamantine.

Things got complicated when the preserved dead began to demand a say in the leadership of the fortress, were refused, and rebelled. Swords refused to swing, axes refused to cut. In the end, the dwarves learned how to bind the adamantine artefacts to their will, making slaves of their ancestors.

With dwarves now being unwilling to volunteer their souls for the smelting process after death, the smiths started turning to other sources for the souls they needed. Eventually, desperate for resources, they cut a deal with the aboleths to trade the secret of adamantine for souls taken by Hell.

Before the deal could be completed, though, a faction within the fortress discovered what was planned, and sabotaged the fortress's key structural supports rather than allow their people to sell the secret of adamantine to demons. The ensuing riots and chaos, as well as the vengeance wreaked by angry aboleths who thought they'd been betrayed, more or less wiped out the fortress's inhabitants.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whybird posted:

Adamantine isn't rare. It's actually fairly easy to get hold of the mixture of ores that you need to smelt it (it's an alloy, not a pure element). One of the necessary ingredients, however, is a soul. The metal you get isn't particularly stronger or harder or sharper than steel. But it is sentient.

The inhabitants of the fortress initially restricted its use to preserving their greatest heroes, so that they could serve their people even after death. Even this wasn't done lightly -- the dwarves recognised that eternal life was a big deal -- but it became more and more common, until pretty much every weapon and armour possessed by the fortress was crafted of adamantine.

Things got complicated when the preserved dead began to demand a say in the leadership of the fortress, were refused, and rebelled. Swords refused to swing, axes refused to cut. In the end, the dwarves learned how to bind the adamantine artefacts to their will, making slaves of their ancestors.

With dwarves now being unwilling to volunteer their souls for the smelting process after death, the smiths started turning to other sources for the souls they needed. Eventually, desperate for resources, they cut a deal with the aboleths to trade the secret of adamantine for souls taken by Hell.

Before the deal could be completed, though, a faction within the fortress discovered what was planned, and sabotaged the fortress's key structural supports rather than allow their people to sell the secret of adamantine to demons. The ensuing riots and chaos, as well as the vengeance wreaked by angry aboleths who thought they'd been betrayed, more or less wiped out the fortress's inhabitants.

Go with this. Have a talking sword explain it all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Turtlicious posted:

An extremely disgruntled talking sword.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That treats Sword Polish like ale

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Loudly threatens to contact its union rep every time it's drawn from the scabbard.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Turtlicious posted:

This is a fantastic idea.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The sword comes from a long line of swords. His father was a sword, his father's father was a sword, his father's father's father was a sword...they don't much like to talk about Uncle Ricky the Paring Knife.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Whybird posted:

I've also been quietly jotting down ideas for a dwarf fortress dungeon that ought become relevant in 4 or 5 more adventures based on how my players seem to keep pushing the dwarves and elves towards war. This is an amazing idea and I might steel a chuck of this to flesh out the place.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for both of those ideas, Keeshhound and Whybird. I think I'll be going with the fey-vs-aboleth storyline, but sentient (complaining) adamantine is a wonderful idea as well.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Completely unrelated, a potential player pitched to me the idea of two character concepts: one is to become an arcane archer, the other a dark delver (Pathfinder with Paizo splat books allowed). He did not expand on what if any game-breaking mechanics he wants to abuse, but I am usually suspect (I used to play and DM in d&d 3e) whenever someone identifies their character progression plans by a prestige class. Looking at the class features, I don't see too much of issue. Is there something I'm missing? Throw at me the most absurd abuse of rules that can be accomplished with them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've also been quietly jotting down ideas for a dwarf fortress dungeon
It's the next thing on my agenda as well :v:

Mine revolves around the fact that a famous inventor wants to plunder and reverse-engineer its technology and the secret that the dwarves were actually duergar. But maybe also around adamantine!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The secret of dorf fort power is booze, dear friend. Lots, and lots of booze. Enough booze to drown the entire fort five times over. Per dwarf.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's the next thing on my agenda as well :v:

Mine revolves around the fact that a famous inventor wants to plunder and reverse-engineer its technology and the secret that the dwarves were actually duergar. But maybe also around adamantine!

Dang, now I need to try this too...

If one has a dwarf player, it could be interesting to start them off on a strange mood when they enter the fort. Perhaps a will save balanced to fail ~1/4 of the time would cause the character to break off any off-task action and continue searching for shells. If they complete it, then that item could be used for a puzzle or a later monster would be weak to it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nietzschean posted:

Completely unrelated, a potential player pitched to me the idea of two character concepts: one is to become an arcane archer, the other a dark delver (Pathfinder with Paizo splat books allowed). He did not expand on what if any game-breaking mechanics he wants to abuse, but I am usually suspect (I used to play and DM in d&d 3e) whenever someone identifies their character progression plans by a prestige class. Looking at the class features, I don't see too much of issue. Is there something I'm missing? Throw at me the most absurd abuse of rules that can be accomplished with them.

I'm not seeing anything innately unreasonable about either class (using this for Dark Delver and this for Arcane Archer.) What base classes do they want to do? In my experience most really overpowered bullshit doesn't come from a specific class, but from interpreting class ability interactions in the most appealing way.

That said, it's entirely possible they just like the flavor of the classes and don't plan on doing anything stupid with them, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do you still need to plan your build from level 1 if you want to actually get into a prestige class in Pathfinder?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nietzschean posted:

Thanks for both of those ideas, Keeshhound and Whybird. I think I'll be going with the fey-vs-aboleth storyline, but sentient (complaining) adamantine is a wonderful idea as well.

I think in my worlds, adamantine will now be rare not because it's hard to come across, but because it's just so god damned insufferable, nobody wants it around.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Do you still need to plan your build from level 1 if you want to actually get into a prestige class in Pathfinder?

Unless you have a very liberal GM who will let you rearrange things on the fly during the level up process, yeah; prestige classes require a number of ranks in a specific skill, specific feat(s), base attack bonus, and/or specific spellcasting ability. Accidentally stumbling into an Arcane Archer for example is pretty unlikely: either you're a Sorcerer/Wizard who took a bunch of combat feats for no reason, or you're a Bard who decided to focus on archery instead of social stuff. You could easily have been a Fighter or Ranger who focused on archery as well, but then you'd have had to make the conscious decision to pick up a level in an arcane casting class. Only a Magus could really have pursued the feat requirements without thinking of it ahead of time.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
A Bard is more likely than a Magus to accidentally qualify for Arcane Archer because a Bard is more likely to focus on archery. Spell Combat and Spellstrike, the Magus's two defining features, only work with melee weapons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It would be good GMing and in keeping with the intent of the mechanic if you were to waive some / all of the mechanical requirements for entering a prestige class if there's enough of a plot-driven reason for the player to enter into it, but there's still an element of having talking with the player and identifying where they want to go with their character in the first place because you wouldn't want to stick a character with a prestige class that they don't intend to go into.

Elevorot
Dec 22, 2008

What?
This is my happy face.
Ladies and ladyboys! It's been a while since I ran something. Due to a flaky DM it looks like I'm being shoved back into that role, and am sort of thinking of taking my players out of their high fantasy comfort zone. I'm thinking WoD Vampire.

Having never actually run a vampire game, I throw myself at your mercy for advice and ideas. I've very little exposure to actually playing WoD, but am sufficiently familiar with the fluff.

Currently I'm thinking of setting the chronicle semi-locally in Australia during the late 80s~early 90s, which gives me the ever-helpful crutch of looking at historical events and twisting them for story...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elevorot posted:

Ladies and ladyboys! It's been a while since I ran something. Due to a flaky DM it looks like I'm being shoved back into that role, and am sort of thinking of taking my players out of their high fantasy comfort zone. I'm thinking WoD Vampire.

Having never actually run a vampire game, I throw myself at your mercy for advice and ideas. I've very little exposure to actually playing WoD, but am sufficiently familiar with the fluff.

Currently I'm thinking of setting the chronicle semi-locally in Australia during the late 80s~early 90s, which gives me the ever-helpful crutch of looking at historical events and twisting them for story...

The return of Werewolf Ned Kelly?

Also, look at Wikipedia articles like 1989 in Australia to get a quick overview of what's going on. Just a sample of important events in 1989 with my ideas highlighted:

1 January – HECS is introduced with the commencement of the Higher Education Funding Act 1988.
10 January – Assistant Australian Federal Police commissioner Colin Winchester is shot dead in the driveway of his Canberra home by a sniper, later identified as David Harold Eastman.
1 February – Joan Kirner becomes Victoria's first female Deputy Premier after the resignation of Robert Fordham over the VEDC (Victorian Economic Development Corporation) crisis.
1 March – The Industrial Relations Commission replaces the Australian Conciliation & Arbitration Commission.
4 March – First ACT (Australian Capital Territory) elections held.
6 March – Former National Safety Council boss John Friedrich is arrested in Western Australia over allegations that he defrauded investors of $237 million.
20 March – Prime Minister Bob Hawke weeps on national television, as he admits marital infidelity.
9 May – Andrew Peacock deposes John Howard as Federal Opposition Leader and Leader of the Liberal Party.
11 May – The ACT Legislative Assembly meets for the first time
15 May – Australia's first private tertiary institution, Bond University, opens on the Gold Coast.
29 May – The Australian Labor Party in Tasmania signs the Labor–Green Accord with the Tasmanian Greens to form government.
30 May – Ananda Marga member Tim Anderson is arrested on charges related to the 1978 Hilton bombing.
5 July – Findings from the Fitzgerald Inquiry are released in Queensland.
July - Interest rates on home mortgages reach 17%.
13 August – Thirteen people die in a hot air balloon accident near Alice Springs, Northern Territory.
23 August – All of Australia's 1,645 domestic airline pilots resign over an airline's move to sack and sue them over a dispute, following a strike.
17 September – Six people die in the Downunder Hostel fire in Sydney's Kings Cross.
20 October – Grafton bus crash – 21 people are killed and 22 are injured when a tourist bus collides with a semi-trailer on the Pacific Highway near Grafton.
10 November – Gaby Kennard becomes the first Australian woman to fly non-stop around the world.
25 November – Elections in South Australia narrowly return the Labor government of John Bannon to power.
2 December – After 32 years in power, 19 of those under Sir John Bjelke-Petersen, the National Party government is voted out of office in Queensland amid widespread allegations of corruption & is replaced by the Australian Labor Party, led by Wayne Goss.
22 December – Kempsey bus crash – Two tourist coaches collide on the Pacific Highway north of Kempsey, New South Wales, 35 are killed and 39 injured. Both the Grafton and Kempsey bus crashes led to calls to make the Pacific Highway dual carriageway.
28 December – A magnitude 5.6 earthquake hits Newcastle, New South Wales, killing 13 people.

Unknown dates
The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) is established in New South Wales.
Western Australia decriminalises homosexual acts between consenting adults.
Alan Bond's Bond Corporation goes into receivership with the largest debt in Australian history.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 9, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WHat's a good way to introduce little vigniettes into my campaign? I want to give my players voldemort style visions, but I have to think of a good reason why. The visions may be of mundane poo poo, or of super important things, but they'll be a kind of running theme.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Turtlicious posted:

WHat's a good way to introduce little vigniettes into my campaign? I want to give my players voldemort style visions, but I have to think of a good reason why. The visions may be of mundane poo poo, or of super important things, but they'll be a kind of running theme.

A magic user is psychically projecting the visions onto the party members in an attempt to communicate. They ate/drank some magically-tainted food/drink. They're descended from gods and/or ancient heroes and Fate brought these psychically-talented individuals together.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Turtlicious posted:

A trickster spirit slips the PCs some magic mushrooms. Spend one adventure in a hallucinatory wonderland, tripping balls. Fight Dire Cheshire Cats. Once they come down, they occasionally get hit with flashbacks - but since the magic in these magic mushrooms is actual magic, their flashbacks are actually flashsideways, giving the PC a clairvoyant peek in on Other Stuff Happening At This Instant Right Now.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Turtlicious posted:

How powerful an enemy are we talking?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Just start telling the players their dreams. As long as you tell only the player and do it privately.

I've done this both for when 1-2 PCs had visions, and for when the whole party is asleep. The best part is, some of them can be actual visions, and some can be regular dreams. Let the PCs figure it out! Or not and get a sense of dread as the cyclopean eye from their dream greets them in 3 sessions!

It's also great to give 1-2 characters really forbidding dreams, while another one has mundane or even cheerful ones, and then try to figure out whether or not that character is lying, and why.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One of the best RP sessions I ever encountered as a player was in a Dark Conspiracy game a friend of mine ran in college. Given that it was Dark Conspiracy, everything was bizarro and we were all paranoid. But as the session progressed, our "routine" handling of the paranormal poo poo we'd been sent to mop up got progressively more and more strange, and my teammates (the other PCs) got more and more hinky. By the end of the session I was pretty sure at least two of the other PCs were actively trying to get me killed, culminating in one of them basically revealing himself to be a demon. That was when the GM said, "And that's the point at which you wake up in a cold sweat" - at which point I was dumbstruck.

Yup, the whole session was all my character's freaky nightmare, and every other player in the game had been in on it from the get-go. And it had all sorts of prophetic foreshadowing in it as well, which made it doubly cool. "It was all just a dream" is a pretty loving tired fictional trope for when an author has written him or herself into an untenable corner, but to have it used so intentionally and brilliantly in an RPG was pretty :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

How powerful an enemy are we talking?

An Orc using Spirit Shamans to manipulate spirits into weapons. On the other side of the mountains, we've got a super racist king being a piece of poo poo to every "Otherkin" he sees. Which is basically any non-hman looking dude.

Warforged, Dragonborn, Genasi, Goblins, Orcs, really anything not "mainkin" (Human simian based,) is considered sub-human. The team basically has one guy using powerful evil magic, but is prmoting a really true democracy, and is not racist. I named the guy Yardtread the Scarred because I thought it sounded cool.

The other guy I wanted them to get visions of is the King of Denerim. This guy ir a racist poo poo bag, and sticking to kind of classic Medieval Politics. He is a racist, cheap, and has a terrible personality. He's already cheated the group out of some coins. The Mainkin are really happy, and if you leave the major cities, the racism isn't really found. It seems like something people do for political reasons then anything else.

Basically, I want to give them little views of them kissing their kids, or being nice to people, or being a dick depending on how far into "man gently caress that guy" my group gets. Like I just want to be able to remind my dudes "hey this guy is still probably a good person and a provider, and loved by many or he wouldn't be a leader."