Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's using the new USB C connector, and USB C power specs are already beyond what Qualcomm Quick Charge specs. Therefore they can't call it Quick Charge because that's probably a Qualcomm trademark, but they can say it charges really fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Right now all indications are that it's probably different from QC2.0. I'd wait until we know for sure though.

ruby idiot railed posted:

It's using the new USB C connector, and USB C power specs are already beyond what Qualcomm Quick Charge specs. Therefore they can't call it Quick Charge because that's probably a Qualcomm trademark, but they can say it charges really fast!

Ok thanks, I will keep my finger off the order button for now. Figured if I was on a roll with new Chromecasts and a phone, might as well get some shiny new chargers and cables.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My wife is contemplating upgrading her Galaxy s5 to either an s6 edge plus or s6 active. Any helpful reviews or anecdotes you can point me to that would help her decide?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 20, 2018

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Band 12 is their 700 MHz band which helps with building penetration and it's not particularly wide-spread, even by T-Mobile terms. Your current phone probably doesn't have it (the list of phones that support it is very small), and if you're fine with your coverage, it's probably not a big deal.

I think the Galaxy S6 has band 12. At least a quick Google search says so. That's what I'm currently using.

Either way thanks for the answer :)

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Initial impressions on the 5x from Android Police (surprised they didn't have this yesterday, they sure had everything else)
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/nexus-5x-hands-on-light-fun-and-friendly/

Edit: And that black glass bar on the 6p is there for the antennas etc.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/29/the-nexus-6ps-big-black-glass-bar-is-a-window-for-nfc-and-various-antennas/

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 29, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a PS3 that I use for Netflix and streaming stuff from my computer (via the free version of Plex). Would I gain anything by getting a Chromecast?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hooah posted:

I have a PS3 that I use for Netflix and streaming stuff from my computer (via the free version of Plex). Would I gain anything by getting a Chromecast?

If the PS3 works for you and you're content with it that's fine. You don't need a Chromecast imo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

What else are people going to do? Not use a smartphone?

Nothing changed in the last year. I'm saying it's a good thing though, the outrage was silly.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

TraderStav posted:

You're covered there also!

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/purchase-protection/faq.html

I love my Amex. Replaced broken screens, ripped/stained clothes, etc.

Only 90 days but yeah that helps too :)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I pre-ordered the 6P and have a delivery date of November 2-3. Everything I've read (including the confirmation email) says they won't charge you until it ships.

I'm pretty sure I just got charged for the whole thing. Is this normal?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

hooah posted:

Much lower power consumption?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm having fun not hearing any applause at all for anything, the excitement!

The press don't (or shouldn't) ever give applause and cheering at a press event. It's always the tech companies loading their employees in the back of the room. Microsoft and Apple do this all the time. Google seems grown up to me for not bothering and treating this like a press release instead of an E3 conference.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MrBond posted:

Only 90 days but yeah that helps too :)

That's when you install the grip tape.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

beerinator posted:

I pre-ordered the 6P and have a delivery date of November 2-3. Everything I've read (including the confirmation email) says they won't charge you until it ships.

That's likely just an authorization charge. It'll drop off in a day or two, it won't post.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

beerinator posted:

It's a hold and will drop off on its own.

Waiting on hands-on on the 6P.

Anybody see a max charging wattage on these two? The 15W wall charger has this as the fine print:

quote:

¹Wattage is optimized for smaller devices, like phones and tablets. Larger devices, like laptops, will take longer to charge. Delivers maximum charge speed to Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. Charge time depends on USB Type-C device. Larger devices, such as the Chromebook Pixel, will typically need more charge time with this adapter (Pixel estimated charge time is 5.6 hours at 15W with system off).
So is it really 15W max?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I fully admit to skipping 73 pages of "ordered and shipping on saturtuesday of junetober" but is there any indication they'll OTA devices that are already on the M preview? If I have to lose my Fallout Shelter progress because it doesn't have cloud saving and Helium works when it loving wants to I will cry big fat crocodile tears.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 29, 2015

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
So... did they say ANYTHING about Marshmallow? Like, maybe... when the 5 & 6 are getting it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Chill Penguin posted:

So... did they say ANYTHING about Marshmallow? Like, maybe... when the 5 & 6 are getting it?

Next week

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Chill Penguin posted:

Next week, probably the leaked date of October 5th.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Band 12 is their 700 MHz band which helps with building penetration and it's not particularly wide-spread, even by T-Mobile terms. Your current phone probably doesn't have it (the list of phones that support it is very small), and if you're fine with your coverage, it's probably not a big deal.

T-Mobile said they'd work with Google on it so it might come in a future update like it did with the original Nexus 6. Disappointing though as T-Mobile doesn't seem to have this poo poo figured out-of-the-box for anything that isn't a T-Mobile branded phone and it improves one of their huge flaws

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WhyteRyce posted:

T-Mobile said they'd work with Google on it so it might come in a future update like it did with the original Nexus 6. Disappointing though as T-Mobile doesn't seem to have this poo poo figured out-of-the-box for anything that isn't a T-Mobile branded phone and it improves one of their huge flaws

T-Mobile spins the lack of support to blame OEMs for not going through T-Mobile's VoLTE/E911 certification process.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...till-confusing/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just caught up on all this Nexus stuff. Of course, my country has an email signup wait list only. Also, no RGB LED on the 5X is a sin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I fully admit to skipping 73 pages of "ordered and shipping on saturtuesday of junetober" but is there any indication they'll OTA devices that are already on the M preview? If I have to lose my Fallout Shelter progress because it doesn't have cloud saving and Helium works when it loving wants to I will cry big fat crocodile tears.

Losing a bad game seems like a positive to me.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm sure you can just remove -w from the flash-all script when they post the images. No OTA to final is the position.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Reverse Centaur posted:

Nothing changed in the last year. I'm saying it's a good thing though, the outrage was silly.

Except you know, I find large phones uncomfortable to use. But yeah, it's silly to be irritated that devices have become less comfortable for me. :rolleyes:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Looked at the new Chromecast on the google store and thought it was the beats logo for a moment.

Which came first, the flat chrome logo or the beats icon? Because man those are similar when you don't have the chrome colors. Just a couple extra lines.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the one reason why I root - nandroid & titanium backup are the only good ways to backup stuff like this. Still.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

Except you know, I find large phones uncomfortable to use. But yeah, it's silly to be irritated that devices have become less comfortable for me. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about you specifically. I didn't even see your post about it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Had a preorder for the 5X and cancelled. If I'm going to wait until late October/early November I may as well wait for reviews at this point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I just bought the new Chromecast because it looks awesome and was only 45 bucks Canadian! :cool:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Ordered the Nexus 6P Graphite 128GB + Nexus Protect. After tax it came out to be around $800. Pretty expensive but I'll be selling my N5 soon and the resale value with Nexus Protect will be good in 1.5 years if I decide to sell the phone.

Also, what is the difference between the USB-C 2.0 vs USB-C 3.0? Does the cable that comes with the 6P a 3.0 or 2.0? All I see on MonoPrice and Amazon are 2.0 cables.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I bought a chromecast at launch and the better wifi is a selling point for me, so I'll probably move the old one into another room. I hope the caching thing is as good as they say but even if it's not, I have great wifi and I don't really mind the mere seconds it will save me.

Them talking about these great new colors while literally saying it's built to easily hide behind the TV makes me think that the marketing team insisted on making different colors while the development team continues to think it's the stupidest idea in the world.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I don't know if anyone brought this up but project fi will let you finance the new phones over the course of 24/mo.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I believe someone already posted that if you ahve the M Preview, you will need to flash the stable build and it will not be OTA'd.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Losing a bad game seems like a positive to me.
I don't think you understand my irrational need for bad video games on terrible Android devices. I need them like oxygen.

Rusty! posted:

I'm sure you can just remove -w from the flash-all script when they post the images. No OTA to final is the position.
Ugh dirty flashing. This is my own fault.

wooger posted:

This is the one reason why I root - nandroid & titanium backup are the only good ways to backup stuff like this. Still.
Root is terrible. Root is somehow actually worse than Fallout Shelter.

Mike! You were right! :cripes:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Their original, and still, stance is no OTA from M Preview to Final. You'll have to flash.

That being said, doesn't M include a new app-data-backup system? Shouldn't your game be backed up anyway?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah, still gonna have to wait for reviews before I decide on the new Moto X or the 5x.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
According to the listing the two devices comes with two cables. USB-C on both ends and USB-C to regular USB (like a laptop plug end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FunOne posted:

Their original, and still, stance is no OTA from M Preview to Final. You'll have to flash.

That being said, doesn't M include a new app-data-backup system? Shouldn't your game be backed up anyway?

hosed if I know but light googling is saying that the auto app backup crap isn't live on the preview images. Sorry, Vault dwellers of Vault 142. My naming of all your babies with dong related references has come to an end. Especially you, Dongy McDongerton.