Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lowtax posted:

forget SA 2.0, let's upgrade directly to SA 666 since we're basically, according to forums experts, essentially Stormfront
why do you continue to give a poo poo about That Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
it would be awesome if there were a place on the forums for people to engage in earnest with someone who runs the forums without the conversation being poo poo all over by fyad like in qcs, or effectively shut down by passive-aggressiveness on behalf of the forum owners, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i would like the forums to survive, there are plenty of people who would be willing to help, no we can't fix the social issues, but we can provide a better, longer lasting, and more extensible place to deal with them

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

like it seems like everyone in charge takes the 'comedy forum' thing way too seriously up to and including how the forum is run, like if you ever are serious about it for a second you're some tryhard human being, so there can never be a serious discussion about fixing the forums because anyone who tries having that discussion is clearly not funny enough for the forums

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

horse mans posted:

like it seems like everyone in charge takes the 'comedy forum' thing way too seriously up to and including how the forum is run, like if you ever are serious about it for a second you're some tryhard human being, so there can never be a serious discussion about fixing the forums because anyone who tries having that discussion is clearly not funny enough for the forums
I didn't know YOSPOS was for serious discussion

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
But if you guys want me to be serious, I have been in the process of getting a bunch of backend poo poo done, I'm just trying to figure out how to raise money or to wait enough time to save enough money to get it done, especially since I'm still paying off the $20,000 it took to get everything working again and repaired when the db crashed last year.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
please make an app api. I will pay to use it, you will have to serve less data, millennial babies who don't even own a computer can join the forums, I will get notifications when someone quotes my great posting, and SA can pull itself out of the web1.0 model and raise venture capital and you will be rich*

*probably not that last one

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Lowtax posted:

But if you guys want me to be serious, I have been in the process of getting a bunch of backend poo poo done, I'm just trying to figure out how to raise money or to wait enough time to save enough money to get it done, especially since I'm still paying off the $20,000 it took to get everything working again and repaired when the db crashed last year.

patron

it's free real estate

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Being rich is his birthright

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Bhodi posted:

patron

it's free real estate
I'd rather do it through the forums so we could instantly give any donors something, no matter how useless it is

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lowtax posted:

I'd rather do it through the forums so we could instantly give any donors something, no matter how useless it is

Is there any reason you couldn't just watch the list of patreon donors and send them a cert for something when they donate, or whatever? You could probably even write a script to do it. That way you don't need to actually bolt any more infrastructure onto the forums. Just let people donate on the patreon and let them request what type of cert they want in the comments or something.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't just watch the list of patreon donors and send them a cert for something when they donate, or whatever? You could probably even write a script to do it. That way you don't need to actually bolt any more infrastructure onto the forums. Just let people donate on the patreon and let them request what type of cert they want in the comments or something.
I dont want to start a Patreon because I think it feels like begging on the street for cash. Same reason I didn't do an on-site fundraiser to help clear up debts from the db recovery and poo poo, because I've tried to instead save money to pay a coder to do stuff, but that ended up not working because income kept getting lower and lower this year. So I'll probably have to eventually end up groveling for cash in some way, but I've been trying to delay it as long as possible to wait for things to pick up and also reduce as much overhead costs as possible. Also I feel guilty asking people for even more money when they've already paid money for services that they could get for free elsewhere.

This is because I am bad at running a business.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Lowtax posted:

its full of it

Lowtax posted:

I dont want to start a Patreon because I think it feels like begging on the street for cash. Same reason I didn't do an on-site fundraiser to help clear up debts from the db recovery and poo poo, because I've tried to instead save money to pay a coder to do stuff, but that ended up not working because income kept getting lower and lower this year. So I'll probably have to eventually end up groveling for cash in some way, but I've been trying to delay it as long as possible to wait for things to pick up and also reduce as much overhead costs as possible. Also I feel guilty asking people for even more money when they've already paid money for services that they could get for free elsewhere.

This is because I am bad at running a business.

as a stake holder in Something Awful LLC. i demand more transparency in business decisions

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

lowtax enters thread, everyone and their dog has an opinion on how the forum should be run

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Awia posted:

lowtax enters thread, everyone and their dog has an opinion on how the forum should be run
I appreciate any suggestions or ideas, like I said I'm terrible at business and have never ever even pretended like I know what I'm doing, so I'm all for it

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

oh fair enough, carry on everyone!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

Also I feel guilty asking people for even more money when they've already paid money for services that they could get for free elsewhere.

Yes, but have you considered just how exclusive the feature of "not garbage in every way" is?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

lowtax all your responses on this page are completely reasonable, the finances are pretty opaque for users for obvious reasons, but i think this thread is a great reminder of how willing people are to chip in if it comes down to it. we want to give you money and we want to get the forums into a maintainable state

i know you can't open source the forums as is because it's still built off vbulletin, but maybe it would make sense to publish a basic requirements doc that has:

- the database schema as it exists today
- a comprehensive list of forum features
- basic traffic stats

so that people can get the ball rolling for a basic replacement alongside your fund-raising efforts

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

and i meant what i said before about how valuable forums traffic is. the paywall and heavy moderation means there's no automated clicking, no ad money that gets wasted serving to bots. click fraud is a billion dollar problem in advertising and you have a basic guarantee that it can't happen on the forums. there's got to be an ad publisher that sees the value of that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
the sa forums are the best on the 'net and i hope that along with the help of some p. deece 6.5 figgy YOSPOSters we can keep this fetid flotilla afloat

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i honestly think opening up all the parts of the forum that are allowed to be made transparent would mean people would help when poo poo goes wrong and prevent it in the first place, but i imagine that's actually very little of the stuff behind the scenes

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Smythe posted:

the sa forums are the best on the 'net and i hope that along with the help of some p. deece 6.5 figgy YOSPOSters we can keep this fetid flotilla afloat

gotta get rid of that Ralp guy first

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Add a $10 per year subscription option that doesn't add anything at all. I would tick that box.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Lowtax posted:

shsc is the joke and yospos is the place with all the people who know what they're doing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if only 1% would chip in $10...

you'd still have to be willing to accept money from strangers for nothing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
patreon seems like the go-to replacement for ad revenue these days, for good reason. kickstarter also provides a similar service if you're good at budgeting and want a lump sum.

i'd say to sell merch but then there's always the risk of having a warehouse full of meme shirts.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Lowtax posted:

The weird thing about YOSPOS is that almost all the regulars are actually pretty smart about some field of IT. It's just they're all jaded as poo poo and this is the venting ground.

I'd trust a serious post here over something in SH/SC, especially since everyone else will call BS on bad advice.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i dont actually know anything just warning you rn

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Awia posted:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Awia posted:

same, and i don't even try and fake it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
rebuild the forums in javascript with an integrated bitcoin miner. add a tip button

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Seems like integrated bitcoin miner is getting a lot of yospos votes, maybe you should take the hint lowtax...although that would have to be in the app or something otherwise it would just run on your servers i guess

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Syncopated posted:

Seems like integrated bitcoin miner is getting a lot of yospos votes, maybe you should take the hint lowtax...although that would have to be in the app or something otherwise it would just run on your servers i guess

a javascript bitcoin miner, duh

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Lowtax posted:

but I've been trying to delay it as long as possible to wait for things to pick up

I have bad news for you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIz2Dz_KEE

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Pumprag posted:

I have bad news for you.
duhhhhhhhhhhhh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
hey lowtax why isn't your icq number in your profile

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
posts should be optionally encrypted with a key distribution mechanism to other posters so that our freedom of speach cannot be infringed by fascist mods

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

The Management posted:

please make an app api

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just raise your dumb low prices you goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actually don't listen to me but listen to some others in this thread they have good ideas

I feel that you need some sort of monthly/yearly rev stream. something beyond the one time payment

• Locked thread