Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I once did a level 1 run of this game. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's neat that the game gives you the tools to make it possible. Until you get to the end of disc 3, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Needless to say, there's a ton of references in this game to the previous eight games (and a few other titles like Parasite Eve for some reason). I think there are less references to VIII than the others, though.

My one of favorite references has to be the starting party.

You have Steiner (Warrior), Zidane (Thief), Vivi (Black Mage), and Garnet (White Mage). The default party from the original Final Fantasy.

Garnet even wears the classic White Mage robe when she tries to flee the castle.

Alexandria also looks a bit like Cornelia Castle, and there's an Ice Cavern in FFI as well.

The default party in the original American NES Final Fantasy if you did not change anything was Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, and Red Mage. If you just tapped A repeatedly their names were all "AAAA' too.

I might have been a stupid child unable to figure out how to switch them at first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

Huh. The acoustics in here must be really bad or something, I could have sworn I said (and meant!) something else entirely, but I shall of course, bow to you, the Superior Being. For you have obviously mastered Online Telepathy, that rare gift that lets you see across the miles and understand exactly what someone meant even if that's not at all what they actually said. Go, go! Your talents are obviously wasted here upon lesser beings such as myself!

quote:

The more you talk about that guide, the more I can't help but picture the author as Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, but even stranger and more anal-retentive and annoying. Like the type of neckbearded goon even the gooniest of goons looks at, and just shakes their head in pity and disgust.

how is this not an insult man.

TheFattestPat posted:

I once did a level 1 run of this game. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it's neat that the game gives you the tools to make it possible. Until you get to the end of disc 3, that is.
It's pretty unintentional. Most RPGs can be beaten at level 1, or at least a minimum level. it's just due to how the mechanics work. So long as you can deal damage to an enemy, you can eventually beat them. Very few bosses in RPGs heal themselves.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Endorph posted:

how is this not an insult man.

Because making an observation or expressing an opinion, is not the same thing as an insult. The observation was merely that "wow, there is knowing your stuff and being a pro, and then there's the guy who wrote that guide, who sounds like he went off his meds a long time ago, and looks it." Also, I do this weird thing - I try to only say exactly what I mean. If you want to feel I am implying insult, that's on you. The question I have now is A. Why automatically assume insult? And B. Why take a comment not aimed at you at all so personally?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

sounds like he went off his meds a long time ago, and looks it.
how is this not an insult

and because it's really unpleasant to read a bunch of 2007-era SA 'heh look at this nerd' circlejerking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the level 1 gamefaqs guide person is cool, and i would be his or her friend.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Endorph posted:

the level 1 gamefaqs guide person is cool, and i would be his or her friend.

Please find the Edit button already. It's a friendly button, with nothing scary about it. :)

Edit: also, I'm not talking about a level 1 guide. OFS is doing a good job there. I'm talking about the "Perfect run" guide Simply Simon is sharing excerpts from, where the object is to get everything possible while still shooting for a speedrun of under 12 hours, which inevitably will include a few hundred resets. Oh, and it also gives directions that can be summed up as "you get random points in the Festival from this particular encounter but aim for 100 exactly because that's a nice round number that triggers this other thing (that you get for a minimum 100 anyway...)" which then needs *more* resets, and replaying and THIS IS FUN, RIGHT??? (Double edit: huh. so it -is- a level 1 guide, as I just discovered. And the dude spent 10 years, planning, writing and editing it. ...That's way past the level of obsession I was thinking, drat. :wth: )
As for the "circlejerk", if that's what you want to read into it, whatevs, bud. In all seriousness though, if you really have such an issue with my worldview - please just take it up in the PMs. Okay? :)

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 29, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Keep posting about posting, folks. It can only go good places.

I haven't played this game in years, but I've got a PS2 and my old FF9 discs, so maybe I should give it another go.

When I was a kid, I... I liked the card game :negative: So many wasted hours...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Litany Unheard posted:

What'd you like about it?

For me, collecting the cards was fun, but the actual game is far too nonsensical to enjoy. I ended up using an Eidolon card against a Fang or something and the Eidolon lost. And then, since it had arrows in a bunch of directions, it spread to all of the other cards on the board, causing me to lose all of the cards I'd played with. :argh:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Knock it off you two.

And also stop double/triple posting.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Endorph posted:

It's pretty unintentional. Most RPGs can be beaten at level 1, or at least a minimum level. it's just due to how the mechanics work. So long as you can deal damage to an enemy, you can eventually beat them. Very few bosses in RPGs heal themselves.

I think he meant that it's specifically level one. Even in FF5, 6, and 12 where bosses don't give EXP, you still can't get to 1 exactly. FF5 has a minimum 5/3/3/4 spread for its 4 characters iirc, and 6 it ranges from 6 to 13, and 12 has a 1/2/2/3/3/3 spread due to characters joining with average+1 levels. 10 and 13 have opt-in level-up systems which take some of the beauty/frustration out of it, and 2 doesn't even have levels. The rest have bosses that give EXP or are 8 where staying at lowest possible levels is kind of advantageous.

But FF9 lets you have the entire crew at level 1, the lowest possible. Until the end of disc 3 anyway, where three unlucky punks have to tank unavoidable levels due to those enemies being immune to Petrify. It ends with 1/1/1/1/1/22/22/22, and I do in fact plan to not use the 22s past that point.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

You didn't like the dungeon with no save points and a wide variety of monsters with petrify(?)/stun/instakill?
gently caress the FF1 ice cave.

This dungeon was a total nightmare for me because as a kid I was I'm a total sperg who wanted all his party members to have exactly the same amount of experience, so a Sorcerer encounter followed by Wizards was an instant reset for me.

Litany Unheard posted:

You must have skipped FF8 then right? I can't imagine anyone coming from Triple Triad and thinking the FFIX card game was in any way enjoyable.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

U-DO Burger posted:

You must have skipped FF8 then right? I can't imagine anyone coming from Triple Triad and thinking the FFIX card game was in any way enjoyable.
I prefer Tetra Master to Triple Triad for the same reason I dislike Constructed MTG; it feels less like: "you have these cards or you don't win". Obviously that's not the actual case, but once you got the character cards, there was no appeal for me.

Tetra Master, on the other hand, actually felt more like a game. There was nothing really to gain by playing it, so I never felt completionist about it like H&C, and there was no feeling of loss of interest, because the outcomes weren't set. And yes, that means I rate the card game above H&C, too.

Granted, I never bothered with Card Modding or breaking FF8 in any way, so that might be part of it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You don't really need the character cards in Triple Triad so long you have the Plus rule in effect. That's when the game gets really fun imo, because if you think things through, your terrible cards can completely ruin your opponent's superior cards

Antitonic posted:

And yes, that means I rate the card game above H&C, too.

disgusting

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think he meant that it's specifically level one. Even in FF5, 6, and 12 where bosses don't give EXP, you still can't get to 1 exactly. FF5 has a minimum 5/3/3/4 spread for its 4 characters iirc, and 6 it ranges from 6 to 13, and 12 has a 1/2/2/3/3/3 spread due to characters joining with average+1 levels. 10 and 13 have opt-in level-up systems which take some of the beauty/frustration out of it, and 2 doesn't even have levels. The rest have bosses that give EXP or are 8 where staying at lowest possible levels is kind of advantageous.

But FF9 lets you have the entire crew at level 1, the lowest possible. Until the end of disc 3 anyway, where three unlucky punks have to tank unavoidable levels due to those enemies being immune to Petrify. It ends with 1/1/1/1/1/22/22/22, and I do in fact plan to not use the 22s past that point.

Out of curiousity, who will the unlucky three be? If memory serves, you have the option of either having three tank them, or one specific tank everything. Since you're going with the three, I can guess who one of the unlucky three is (Dagger), but who will the other two be?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SMaster777 posted:

Out of curiousity, who will the unlucky three be? If memory serves, you have the option of either having three tank them, or one specific tank everything. Since you're going with the three, I can guess who one of the unlucky three is (Dagger), but who will the other two be?

It's usually Freya and either Zidane or Quina.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's usually Freya and either Zidane or Quina.

I imagine OFS will use Quina for that purpose since Zidane is required to be used for most of the game. It'd kind of suck to go the rest of the game with only 3 characters. Probably not impossible, but certainly undesirable, especially since he's the one packing Flee.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Random thought
I always confused Tetra Master with Triple Triad name-wise. Since obviously the more confusing cardgame should have the more confounding name right?

Then again manipulating TT into a setup where no rules exist besides maybe the same rule, thats complex in its own right

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Antitonic posted:

I prefer Tetra Master to Triple Triad for the same reason I dislike Constructed MTG; it feels less like: "you have these cards or you don't win". Obviously that's not the actual case, but once you got the character cards, there was no appeal for me.

Tetra Master, on the other hand, actually felt more like a game. There was nothing really to gain by playing it, so I never felt completionist about it like H&C, and there was no feeling of loss of interest, because the outcomes weren't set. And yes, that means I rate the card game above H&C, too.

Granted, I never bothered with Card Modding or breaking FF8 in any way, so that might be part of it.

I'm with you. I hated Triple Triad because it felt like it was part of the main game so I felt pressure to play it and it was all about having the right cards.

Tetra Master I had only a basic idea of the rules but I could sit down and play with no risk and no benefit gained and just throw down cards to see what would happen. I got reasonably good and there was still the occasional upset loss due to randomness but I also liked the randomness.

I did prefer Chocobo Hot and Cold over the card game because it was fun to panic and look for that last stupid treasure while the clock was ticking knowing it was okay if I failed because I could try again for a trivial fee.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Bufuman posted:

I imagine OFS will use Quina for that purpose since Zidane is required to be used for most of the game. It'd kind of suck to go the rest of the game with only 3 characters. Probably not impossible, but certainly undesirable, especially since he's the one packing Flee.

As a counterpoint... Zidane's actually not mandatory in the final dungeon. The game NEVER tells the player this, but should the player try to change parties there, Zidane's removable. He gets forced back in should the player try to leave, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'll be doing a CES run of the final dungeon on top to make it really high stakes, actually.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Forgive my ignorance, but CES?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

BrightWing posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but CES?

Celes Edgar Setzer. It's a FFVI thing where people do the final dungeon with the bare minimum number of party members recruited. Very tough, when you have to split into three teams and you only have three people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm amazed that VI lets you finish the game without recruiting Terra, considering that she's pretty important to the plot and arguably THE main character.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
She shows up for the end anyways, but you don't need her as an active party member.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
CES is pretty fun to, and definitely worth doing at least once. Especially since you have no access to Ultima.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Schwartzcough posted:

Celes Edgar Setzer. It's a FFVI thing where people do the final dungeon with the bare minimum number of party members recruited. Very tough, when you have to split into three teams and you only have three people.

Ah, the minimum party thing for VI. Never knew it had a special name.

Doing a level 1 run or Excalibur 2 run has always been something I've wanted to do if I ever decided to play IX again. But after seeing OFS deal with this, I think I'm just better off not doing either.

E: ∨ I had forgotten whether or not he mentioned it, just didn't want to risk anything. Especially not for a game I love this much.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 30, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Didn't Mega spoil the thing you tagged in an update for easy discussion of something he wouldn't do? Not to call you out, just double checking for myself/future reference.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I was going to find it but just before hitting "view all (mega64's) posts" I realized what a poor idea that was on my phone. I am 99% certain he did, simply so people could talk about it and because he wasn't even going to attempt to get it. And the process involved in getting it doesn't include any spoilers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

Specifically I'm making a joke because why are you people discussing the level 1 run in the final dungeon?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Specifically I'm making a joke because why are you people discussing the level 1 run in the final dungeon?
lol you just admitted it's not even a Level 1 run for the full party. You probably won't even optimize equipment on the level gainers to have their stats still be perfect. And the Excalibur 2 also won't be gotten, probably...scrubmeister.

(yes, Mega has spoken of it. I paid special attention because it saves me a lot of spoiler tags)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

And the Excalibur 2 also won't be gotten, probably...scrubmeister.

Sure I have eight minutes to go from the middle of disc 2 to near the end of the game... but that's part of the challenge... right...?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a game overflowing with so much detail, it's bizarre that they'd only let you get the best sword in the game by rushing through it.

At least Excalibur II has no unique abilities.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sure I have eight minutes to go from the middle of disc 2 to near the end of the game... but that's part of the challenge... right...?

I expected more from you, Orange Fluffy Sheep. So disillusioned...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

For a game overflowing with so much detail, it's bizarre that they'd only let you get the best sword in the game by rushing through it.

At least Excalibur II has no unique abilities.

It was probably intended less as a reward for speedrunning and more a crutch for people who rushed through the game so fast that they might have lovely characters and equipment.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Phantasium posted:

It was probably intended less as a reward for speedrunning and more a crutch for people who rushed through the game so fast that they might have lovely characters and equipment.

I don't think anyone is ever going to accidentally get Exaclibur II

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Phantasium posted:

I don't think so; after all, the conceit of the crazy guide is not specifically that it's level 1 and also Excalibur 2; it's Perfect Game and nothing less. Perfect game in FF9 demands leveling up with specific equipment due to the way stats work in the game, but you can't do that from the get-go, so the level 1 game is a necessity born from the Perfect conceit, not the other way round. Excalibur 2 can only be gotten by being fast, but it's of course necessary to have in the Perfect Game, so that's also just a result from that demand. What is also a demand, however, is getting every missable chest and hidden item, and doing all that crazy minigame stuff like Jump Rope King...which can only be gotten at the very start...and all of that is possible within the 12 hour limit, albeit only with ludicrous planning.

So, if you ditched for example just the Level 1 part you could speedrun the game pretty easily probably, at the very least concerning resets numbering in the high thousands, if that is not far too conservative. Meaning that Excalibur 2 is not a challenge that only a few people can ever do, if you'd really want to, you could probably do it yourself without missing much (or anything), the Perfect Game Guide just makes it seem ludicrous because of all its other self-imposed restrictions.

Though your failsafe idea is neat, and it might well also be the case. I don't remember the Excalibur 2 scene though (I haven't done it myself, but I've seen pictures), it might be "hey cool you are a master player", but it might also be "are you loving insane? Okay have a weapon geeze" and anything in between :D.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I wasn't actually talking about whatever Perfect Guide your referencing, but more from a design standpoint of the developers.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Phantasium posted:

I wasn't actually talking about whatever Perfect Guide your referencing, but more from a design standpoint of the developers.

Neither am I. You're talking going through 3 discs of a final fantasy game in less than 12 hours. You have to know exactly what you should be doing at every point in order to actually have a chance at getting the sword. I very much doubt anyone would ever get this as a surprise reward.

If that was their intent - a catchup mechanism for someone who's rushed too fast through the game - they did a horrible job in it. Honestly if you can manage to get the weapon you're already good enough to not need it.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Considering how much speedrunning you have to do in order to get it - the TAS only has 4 hours and 40 minutes to spare, and that's a TAS - I don't think anyone who needs it as a crutch is going to be playing the game fast enough to obtain it.

• Locked thread